Sketchbook: Pervy's Sketchbook! - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't get much time to draw today and honestly feel pretty crappy about that lol, but i don't really mind it since meet so many new passionate people while traveling around town. Though the bad thing that happened was that I literally tore a pretty big helping of my hand while removing/putting on new tires on my truck (to fix a flat and ones waiting to happen). Curse those stuborn lugnuts! ^^; so it stings to draw, but luckly not enough to really effect much.

Both images are from imagination, one digital and the other on paper. oh, but I did do some studies from life of my own eyes on the paper image (and also ones on photos before I realized I could just used my own eyes).

Definitely need get more traditional studies in since I feel I retain so much more when I'm doing it with pencils, and it takes me so much longer to draw anything with the tablet instead of pencils lol though I'm sure thats the same for many people.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew finally got a pretty decent amount of time to myself to do some studies today. Today I decided to take on some face studies since one of my biggest weaknesses is very much that since honestly I never really enjoyed doing portrait studies or studies on different parts of the face in general (no real reason why). But, I'm so glad I did since I've learned so much today in terms of pushing myself away from my stylized (generic/default) faces. lol how good the faces actually look is another story though.

In all these studies, there are a mix of some studies from life, photos, and imagination since it helps me retain the information better. First I would do a study on a facial part then in the next page I would apply what I learn with faces from my imagination, so all the full faces you see are from my imagination that look horriable lol. Definitely going to do another study in trying to get all the facial features to fit together so they don't all look so warped.

Side Note:
    Today I also found out my old man has diabetes, so everyday of the week (except sunday) I'll get to hang out with my dad as we work out together so we all can hope to get better health! Today was the first day and man it's amazing how much more stamina he has over me. The me that sits around all day drawing just can't keep up with his kind of energy lol.

Last edited by Pervy; June 3rd, 2011 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! lots of great studies, the noses are especially nice! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NailBiterMR: ^^ Thanks a lot for the kind words! lol kind of funny that out of all the features I studies, I feel the nose is actually my worst enemy when it comes to drawing it in all kinds of diffrent angles. But, I'll definitly keep it up!

1st - first image is a value figure from imagination where I was testing how much I could do straight from memory. ^^; failed horribly and ended up cut my losses and move on to studies.

2nd - a value study from a photo.

3rd - a color study that I found really difficult since I couldn't seem to figure out how to match the colors to the actual photograph. lol hopefully after doing more of these I"ll eventually get a better eye for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ey feller! Lookin' good with those studies. (particularly those last two- love the rendering!)

Watch out for wonky eyes though, I noticed it a few times on the faces. It's a problem I often face myself, which is why I'm picking it out. xD

Other than that, you're working at a good pace so keep it up

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew I was completely dead for a good week there ^^;. With last minute notice, I ended up having to help drive from Texas to Atlanta Georgia and back again to help everyone attending the sneaker event going on there. lol so in short I spent roughly 30 hours driving with a u-haul and when I made it back home I had to make up for lost time at work (work work) and now I'm finally back in business.. hopefully anyways lol.

The event itself was good, but not 30 hours worth of driving good ahah, but I did enjoy the trip even though I actually don't like traveling.

Naidy: Aw your just saying that (about the rendering), we all know it looks horrible ahah. Thanks for the advice and comment as always! Always find the presence encouraging with helpfulness!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are the studies/pencils I did yesterday, which may look like a lot since there's a lot of image files ^^; but it really isn't much.

1st: Study on environment/perspective which lead to me realizing I need to draw in a bigger canvas since there's just not enough room for detailing lol. (Think I learn perspective better traditionally, but the actual enviornments would be better for actually painting)

2nd, 3rd, 4th: Some pretty bad figure studies ahah. Pretty much did this for more of a quick warm up session to get myself more in gear for drawing.

5th, 6th, 7th: Some figures from imagination, some for poses, some for practicing perspective.

8th, 9th: Practice drawing some armor from imagination, though I also used references of different armors, but I tried to not just copy them since I just can't retrain things to well just copying (was focusing more on the armor not so much anatomy which in retrospect may not of been the best decision). Also tried a pretty bad environment from imagination to try and keep apply some of what I studies, but I think I actually learned quite a lot from just doing this.

Sidenote: I've been doing painting studies for the past few days I was back and once again I don't have the stomach to have to look at them everyday on this sketchbook so I'll just leave them in the trash ahah. ^^; I just have such a hard time painting without using any lines.. But I'm starting to think I should just go ahead and stick with lines for now since I really don't' even know how to paint, so I'm sure I'll eventually reach the point where I can start relying on them less later on.

As of right now, I feel I can call myself a colorist, since I feel 'somewhat' competent with my ability to color things to a certain extent, but I really want to get to the point where I can call myself a painter since that's so much more difficult then just coloring (To me its infinity more difficult lol). Also, this may just be me, but I feel what separates a colorist from a painter is that painters can actually make their illustrations without any lines (whether they use only paint or paint over their lines), but of course I'm really generalizing to make my personal definition lol.

Last edited by Pervy; June 11th, 2011 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's Sunday!

Images -

1st & 2nd:
    Figures from my imagination of which are filled with oddities in the anatomy, which completely knocked me in the face with each figure since there's so much I really don't know.

3rd: Studies from photos where I tried focusing on more difficult foreshortened poses. Definitely doing more of these, since I really don't have a eye for proportions when it comes to things being foreshortened, so what I'm hoping is that after I do a ton of these I'll eventually get used to it.

4th:
    Studies of heads from photos. Have to admit I should of pushed myself to get the likenesses better, but after drawing 2-3 heads I had to force myself to fill the rest of the paper ^^;.

Last edited by Pervy; June 12th, 2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: mispellings and typos!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew, computer problems are the worst (ended up restarting the computer). It seems like every time I think everything is fixed, something comes back up to haunt me lol.

Anyways, while my computer was reinstalling windows, I decided to just bite the bullet and go for some character designs from imagination even though I really didn't have much in mind for what to actually draw (clothing wise) ahah. The cool thing is that I feel with each figure I'm getting better and better with different experimentation of how to render and how to construct and build drapery over the figure in general.

None are particularly good when it comes to just designs since they are all pretty generic and random I feel lol, but definitely the most fun I've had in a while for just drawing.

Sidenote:
    Also we finally finished up the photo-shoot video for our new Loyal K.N.G. design line so that's also awesome ahah. It humbles me everyday to see so many people support us T_T

Last edited by Pervy; June 15th, 2011 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Images -

1st:
    Practicing figures from imagination
    2nd: Figure studies from photos
    3rd, 4th, & 5th: More figures from imagination, the 5th image being me trying to push myself to exaggerate anatomy, of which I need to really push myself to keep it from being so stiff and bubbly (Also completely messed up on his face which now really bothers me to no end since I just posted ahah).

6th: color study from a photograph. The cool thing here is that after restarting windows on my computer photoshop has stopped lagging like crazy like it used to. Before the reformat, I would keep photoshop on for 30 minutes at least before I do anything since every brushstroke would lag for 5-10 seconds, but then after the 30 minutes every brush stroke was usually anywhere from half a second to 3 seconds in lag (for hard/soft round brushes).

So, to finally be able to use photoshop with much much less lag, its amazing just how much easier everything is along with how much faster I am lol. Not sure why everything fixed with the reformat, but I just hope it stays that way.

Anyways, I didn't finish this color in time today, so I'll probably finish it up tomorrow and move on to another one, or just move on to a new one all together (depending on my mood ahah).

Edit: In second thought, Ill just try finishing it since it still looks pretty bad lol

Last edited by Pervy; June 17th, 2011 at 01:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa, you have great sketchbook I like how smooth and fluid your anatomy studies are (especially the They-With-Many-Limbs one. Hilariously awesome, and must've been pretty hard to make).

Also love the armor.

What else...Oh, keep drawing! XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo Pervy ! May I tell you that you rock ?

Yeah I'm probably doing this : You rock !

Keep up with these amazing gestures and all. Going great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trefle: Really appreciate all the compliments! lol though I have to admit I feel my figures need to get much fluid (loose?) since I tend to draw with a pretty heavy hand, and my armor doesn't have enough depth to actually look like anything but paper thin tinfoil ahah.

So, to actually hear you complimenting me on what I'm trying to improve really encourages me to push myself even harder, so thanks so much!

Shad: Heyo shad! Always encouraging to see your post pop-up in here! Definitely going to keep trying to improve for sure ahah

-----------------------------------------

Didn't get to do nearly as much doodling as I would of liked today since I ended up having to drive to and from Dallas for a friend, but definitely happy I did go since it was a friend I didn't get to see in a long-long while lol.

Anyways, the first image is a advance on my color last study of which I once again didn't finish (nor really do much on) due to the time and now the face bothers me to no end at how unfinished it is lol. But, I really don't want to spend any more time on this study, so I'll just move on.

Second image
    I tried doing something a little different and just drew a quick gesture, erased it down, then tried drawing clothes and anatomy over it. Whats different is that I usually draw a gesture, then keep tweaking at it until I get a solid naked figure then i would use that as the base for clothing, so working of the gesture only I wanted to see how wonky it would look.. The results weren't to great ahah, though they were enjoyable.

Third image
    started off as figure studies, but I ended up transitioning to leg/feet studies (feet being the focus of the study). One of my problems is that I have a hard time drawing the foreshortened foot along with understanding how to gesture in different angles.

Forth image are some heads from imagination just because lol. Really need find a way to study the head in multiple directions since there's so much I need to learn where photos and using a mirror just doesn't let me achieve what I need to foundationally understand (may get a cast when I can afford it).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those armoured figures- they're fantastic! I'm hoping you keep on spamming them.

Then again, I do have a thing for suites of armour so I might be bias.

Anyways! Liking the last digital study, flesh looks real good, hair needs more work.
    Keep it up!

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Naidy: I hope it doesn't seem like I'm spamming them (armor) ahah, but I definitely need to get better at making them not look like paper thin plastic which they currently look like lol.
    -----------------------------

Didn't doodle as much as I liked since I spent the last two days setting up and celebrating fathers day while eating far more then I deserved, but I did manage to get some things down.

1st Image: Practice constructing exaggerated forms. Definintly going to need to do studies on some really buff guys to get them looking actually believable, since right now they don't remotely seem plausible to me.

2nd Image: Studies of heads using that posemaniacs 3d image doohickey lol, had a heard time seeing the features with all the polygons, but I think I learned a little.

3rd Image: figures from imagination. Their proportions are way off since I once again tried just drawing the gesture then going right in with clothing and ended up just tossing in more and more pouches.

4th Image: Noticed I've been having a hard time connecting the head/neck/shoulders together in certain angles, so I did these just to see what I already know and don't for a future study.

5th Image: More figures from imagination once again using gestures as a base. Definitely need to study and look at more clothing because I need to really pump up my imagination in fashion and rendering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1st Image: Photo studies focusing on how the muscle connect together.

2nd Image: figures from imagination trying to apply what I learned from the study, which definitely did help me immensely in understanding how the masses connect together. Unfortunately, by this time I was to tired out on sketching muscle men, so I moved on pre-maturely ahah.

3rd & 4th Image: Figures from imagination, but after doing this I realized I keep end up drawing my faces in the same position when their posing for some reason lol, so next time I draw some figures I'll have to keep in mind to get more dynamic.

5th Image: The start of another photo study which I'm sure everyone is familiar with lol (the model that is). Still have such a hard time picking the right colors and keeping hard edges from going to soft.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1st Image: Figures from imagination. lol you can tell I got a little tired of drawing after the clothed figure.

2nd Image: Finished color study from earlier. This study I tried to nail as much as I could, but unfortunately I wasn't fast enough to finish the drapery and hand/feet. Also still just couldn't nail the colors of the original photo which bothered me through out the whole study lol.

Though over all, I feel I've learned so much from this study that it's a pretty huge motivation boost for me to keep on pushing my digital painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My favorites are the fantasy warrior types (especially the armored dudes).

Everything is better with dinosaurs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brandon Pilcher: That's good to hear! Though I have to admit its hard to imagine anyone liking my sense in fashion, let alone with how poorly drawn they are lol.

-------------------------

1st Image: Characters from imagination. lol It many not seem much different from my other character doodles, but in this one and the ones to come, I'm trying to push myself to polish and render the form more. My theory is that it may eventually make me faster and better at laying on details in the future. (which I've noticed that I am getting a little better with thinking up with designs all the while getting cleaner lines)

2nd Image: Painting from imagination applying what I learned from my last study. After doing this from imaginiation it really drilled into my head that I really don't know how to render lol. Though I definitly feel that even though I messed up on pretty much everything on this, I'm pretty sure of what to study to figure out how to improve. At least that's what I'm hoping for ahah.

Last edited by Pervy; June 23rd, 2011 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very very inspirational sketchbook, the progress you made in such a short time, your dedication and your passion to learn.
    I'm subscribing to your thread and I wish you will keep up the good work because I just love how much you've grown and learned!

My Sketchbook [ACTUALLY UPDATED!]

I have 800 posts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chuck18mp: Wow your comment just made my day! I spend most of the day trying to keep myself motivated, so the slight thought that there's a possibility that someone out there is even a tiny bit inspired from looking at my sketchbook really motivates me. Especially since usually with everything I post, I get a feeling of regret since I have to look at all my flaws everyday ahah.

-----------------------------------------------

For the first time in a long while, I ended up not drawing for the whole day yesterday which really is a strange feeling. Nothing makes me feel more useless then not getting anything down on paper ahah. (Had to work both day and night shifts)

Anyways, here are most of the things I did today:

Images 2 and 4 are a mix of studies and imagination where I generally focused on how the ribcage and the spine effect the stomach when bending back.

Images 1, 3, 5, and 6 are from imagination where I apply what I already know and what I learned. Its a amazing how much more I understand the chest now after doing the studies, something just clicked in my brain somewhere on understanding how the body bends around the chest area. None of them are perfect, but definitely feel I'm starting to get to the point where I'm actually starting to really figure out how to study in a way I can retain more.

Last image is pretty much the beginning of a photostudy I've started. Here I'm actually trying out a new method compared to my last few studies in order to get faster with clean edges. Anyways, I'll hopefully get this done for tomorrows post (given I'm stricken with another double shift at work ahah).

Sidenote:
    I actually finished using my last sheet from my 12th 18"by12" sketchbook (the first image), so since I forgot to buy a spare I actually went to drawing on regular old copy paper which was actually kind of a nice change. Usually when drawing on a huge sketchbook I get urge to always feel the whole page and that actually slows me down since I get bogged down on trying to fill the page with things I'm already tired of drawing lol. So, to draw on some much smaller paper the temptation of having to fill it up is much less stressful and acutally more enjoyable.. Though I just hate scanning in all those copy papers.

Last edited by Pervy; June 25th, 2011 at 01:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fuuuuuukkkiing sick studies!keep it up

"Many of life's failures are the people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
    -Thomas Edison

Concept Art Sketchbook - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=219673

http://kimozabbi.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kimozabbi: Thanks for the encouragement, I'll try my best!

---------------------------

1st, 2nd, & 4rd Image: Heads and figures from imagination.

3rd & 5th Image: studies of heads from photos and the finished study I started yesterday focusing on the chest area. lol just decided it would be better to move on since I really want to trying out this new technique for keeping clean edges on a new study since I think it may help me get more efficient at painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew, it seems like for the next week or two (hopefully not), I won't be posting as often or not as much, since I'll be taking on extra hours at work since some of the employees will be vacationing.

Anyways, as for the images I've been trying to push myself to move from static character designs to actually putting them into motion. Now that I feel I can somewhat draw characters with some kind of clothing, it gives me reason to start pushing everything else I need to learn like backgrounds, action poses, expressions, animals, and objects, since I can't go about drawing them floating in the air forever lol. (Though I should note to myself to study them before actually 'drawing' them ahaha!..ahah..ah..)

Last edited by Pervy; June 28th, 2011 at 01:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't get as much done as I would want to with work and all, but I did manage to get at least something down on paper.

1st Image:
    Gestures from imagination. Here I actually tried developing a new way to construct the different forms, and with a little more practice I think I might of discovered something helpful.

2nd Image: I was originally going to try to make this a full page penciling, but with so many interruptions at work I just keep up the steam to keep going after the center character lol. Though I actually found that I may actually enjoy sci-fi themed things much more then the medieval/fantasy/barbarians I've been doodling so far.

3rd Image: After moving on from the 2nd image, I decide to continue on with the sci-fi theme which I also once again didn't manage to finish the background on lol, though this time around it was more lack of knowledge of what to actually draw then drive. So, I'll definitely need to do some studies on mechanical stuff whenever I get the chance (weapons/vehicles/buildings especially).

Still have so much to work on, especially backgrounds and getting more practical yet also unique clothing designs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good. I see some dedication going on in here.

Couple things I saw that I've recently struggled with myself:

When hatching, only hatch in one direction, i.e. on the out stroke but not the in stroke. Also slow down and keep the strokes a bit closer together. This will help keep your tone blocks more even.

When constructing heads, the center line on an oval works well to establish the pitch and tilt of the head, but as the construction progresses, the center line has to be revised -- it curves in and out as the face curves in and out in profile.

Keep on trucking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Godddd you post so much! It's fantastic.

Anyways, I was going to say something when I noticed the girl's armour in 138 being completely impractical, but most of your designs show you know what's suitable/practical armour for women, so I'll leave it.

Also, still loving the rendering on your digital studies and some of your designs for outfits are lookin' pretty badass. Keep it up, mate!

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa! You really made great improvement since my last visit.
    I think I need super hard work to meet this.
    I love it, Pervy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kdiegert: Thanks a ton for the advice! Definitely will have to put much more time into rendering lol, since I never really put to much time into that.

Naidy: Really appreciate all love! lol I need to actually post more with a major emphasis on digital stuff.

stezsen: Make that super-duper (lame) hard work, because I definitely need to push myself miles farther then how I am right now ahah. Also really great to see you again

-------------------------

All images are horrible doodles from imagination while I was at work. Argh must become more dynamic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With July already here, I need to really push myself to get better! Also decided to just put text at the bottom left of the images whether they're studies or not since it'll be easier for everyone lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the transition from Study to Imagination. Good job and it's really nice to see you're keeping it up!

My Sketchbook [ACTUALLY UPDATED!]

I have 800 posts

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1