IPod/IPhone/IPad Alternatives II

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: IPod/IPhone/IPad Alternatives II

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

IPod/IPhone/IPad Alternatives II

Hi everybody,

instead of reanimating an old thread I start a new one - ´cause I think it´s time for a second edition on that topic (btw a more hardware related one).

Now that alternatives to the apple products are available for quite a time I wonder if there are any competitors that are really equivalent?

Apart from the differences of different apps for android and apple the most important fact for me is the 'natural feeling' while sketching. That´s the point where apple - in my opinion - did a great job. It´s devices react immediately and smooth. There´s nothing I fear more than buying an android device and detecting afterwards that there are two seconds delay between moving the pen and getting the result of it.

So what are your experiences (the more the better)? Is someone using android hardware on a daily basis for sketching? And if so: which one (and what apps)?

Thanks and greetings,

emilska

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So am I guessing right nobody uses android hardware for sketching?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't used any for sketching yet but I plan on getting the color nook, it is running android 2.1 and has recently been rooted so you can load other android apps onto it without having to go through an app store.
    So for 250$ you get an android tablet with 512megs memory (double that of Ipad) an 800mhz chip (same as the 1ghz chip ipad uses only underclocked for battery consumption) and 8gig flash space with a microSD slot for up to 32gigs more. As well as wifi and all of the other features. I can't sneeze at that at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have heard there isnt many drawing apps for android at all. why this is i dont know. there is a whole bunch of android devices being sold on ebay right now. 7 and 8 inch android devices starting at 99 dollars. The 8 inch is 800x600 and around 149.00. the specs on a few were actually really nice.

The way Android handles screen sizes is very bad. its not like apple and nothing is sized or stretched. so if you have an android with a 10 inch screen many apps will have a black border around them. it stays the original size. you can program it to support all sizes, but this is something that has to be done by the developer of the app. The larger screen sizes are newer and many older apps dont support it.

I looked into it further and there is a sketchbook pro for android. So at least there is something worth mentioning.

Last edited by MarkT; December 19th, 2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: edit found an sketchbook pro for android

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Considering I wouldn't be doing anything more than quick design sketches anyway on it, it isn't so mission critical for me that an android tablet cant replace my sketchbook. I am more interested in for portfolio, documents, client information and so on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Android has very little in the way of art apps. Only a month ago there were literally none that I could find. I do think SketchBook Pro was recently released for Android, however.

One of the big reasons for this, as the OP mentioned, is that Apple still has by far the best capacitive touch performance. The speed and tracking is really unrivaled.

That said, I'm not really sure what your asking. Regarding phones, Android is really your only other option. And like you say, given the enormous array of manufacturers and devices running Android, I would be worried about how well capacitive screen works. And regardless, Apple's app store still has many more software options than Android. There are at least 5 really good art apps I would say.

When it comes to tablets, there isn't any competition yet. iPad is really all there is (unless you don't mind entering the $1,000+ range for a tablet PC/ModBook). A lot of announcements at CES this year, but no real final production units were shown and the Honeycomb is still unfinished. Regardless, these are still Android devices and you will still be limited on the software end.

Be sure you know what you're getting too. I enjoy doing artwork on my iPad, but it is definitely feels much different than anything else. For nice line quality, you'll be forced into a lot of pinch zooms and hitting the undo button. Capacitive touch screens just aren't that great for this sort of thing compared to a real active digitizer.

It works well for quick digital paintings though. Where line quality isn't an issue, it works more or less like desktop software and a Wacom tablet.

I was disappointed none of the Android devices shown at CES utilized a real stylus and digitizer. This would have been a real point of differentiation. Instead we got a bunch of me-too devices that resemble the iPad reveal a year ago.

If you're looking for a capactive touch device for this purpose though, the iPad is the way to go. It's a relatively mature device with a lot of great software and a simple, elegant OS. Android devices won't even be out for a few months yet, and like the iPad it will be a while before there is a really good selection of apps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got my Ipod Touch the other day and I love sketching on it! Feels good, even with fingers! I'll buy a Pogo Stylus, too, let's see how that goes. With the better display it looks so great, much better than on the DS. I'm using Colors! now, like it more than Sketchbook Mobile, it's more slick and direct and isn't loaded with stuff.

My SO has a sony-ericsson android phone and it's a whole nother thing, the lines look like on ms paint, and it takes a good second for a brushstroke to show up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NJR View Post
    Android has very little in the way of art apps. Only a month ago there were literally none that I could find. I do think SketchBook Pro was recently released for Android, however.

One of the big reasons for this, as the OP mentioned, is that Apple still has by far the best capacitive touch performance. The speed and tracking is really unrivaled.
    From my experience, it is just another legend about Apple product. I tried iPhone4 (I used it to record the next video) and there is no difference between a Samsung Galaxy S running Android (at least 2.1 since I don't know how it worked before)

The Galaxy S is able to track till 5 points at the same time and I need to admit it is a bit complicated to put 5 fingers on 4 inches screen. So if speed and tracking is unrivaled, you really need to point to me what you mean (this device is almost 6 months old now).
    Quote Originally Posted by NJR View Post
    I was disappointed none of the Android devices shown at CES utilized a real stylus and digitizer. This would have been a real point of differentiation. Instead we got a bunch of me-too devices that resemble the iPad reveal a year ago.
    Google needs to give inside their OS an application programing interface (API) that adds pressure recognition before anyone could use such feature inside application.
    Without that, the only programs that will use pressure will be those crappy one made by manufacturer. And I don't think Google will add soon such API...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfeeras View Post
    My SO has a sony-ericsson android phone and it's a whole nother thing, the lines look like on ms paint, and it takes a good second for a brushstroke to show up
    Is it really necessary to talk about a random crappy graphic program compared to iOS graphic programs when NJR mentioned sketchbook mobile on android? What is the point? It gives the feeling sketchbook on android is like paint...
    Here is a video I recorded again with iPhone4 that shows Sketchbook mobile on Android 2.2.1 on Samsung Galaxy S (the video is in real time if you ask).

I did not notice again a real difference with iPhone4, for the same size of brush it seems as slow or as responsive depending of what you think. I was not able to record iPhone4 video for direct comparison since the camera on Galaxy S is not able to adjust focus for macro recording. There is also something weird, the latest sketchbook mobileX (the free version) on AppStore was displaying low resolution canvas (duplicated pixels). The UI was normal and sharp but the canvas was using low resolution and for some reason, the pinch and zoom was sluggish.
    Anyway about Android, you can see it is far to take a second to follow my fingers. I am not saying Kfeeras was saying crap, but his experience was obviously not a pertinent example of an android experience.

About the lack of graphic programs it has to do with market share and only market share. 6 months ago there is only simple games on Android, but today, I can see such video showing many released games (I think game development is a good way to take temperature of enthusiasm about a platform). It is still far of all the games on iOS but considering how everything changed in few months, it gives an idea of the future.

Now few words about screen technology if someone is interested... The Galaxy S is using a super amoled screen which is for me the best choice for watching video or playing games on tablet/phone (big gamut and infinite contrast ratio) BUT there is something weird with this technology. Most of programs are displayed using 16,7 million of colors, but few applications seems to be limited to 16-bit image like opera mobile and.....>>FIXED IN LASTEST VERSION>>sketchbook mobile. Yeah, what you can't see on the previous video is even if the program is working with 16,7 million of colors, the super amoled is displaying for a weird reason only 262144 colors in sketchbook mobile on this phone<. I suppose it has to do with super amoled because I have read something similar with Samsung phones running Windows Phone 7.
    I will add also a perfect black is not great for painting since you need to be in a dark room to see all details in dark area. So an IPS screen is far better for this task.

*EDIT* Autodesk fixed the issue with super amoled screen, sketchbook mobile version 1.1 is displaying now perfectly smooth gradient using 16,7 million of colors. The program seems maybe also a little bit faster.

Last edited by hecartha; February 16th, 2011 at 06:15 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hecartha For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.