Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cyclops... Re-worked... AGAIN... DONE?

Thanks

Cyclops... Re-worked... AGAIN... DONE?

Hey there. I'm hoping to finally beat this one...

Here's where it is. I'm not gonna dig up my other thread- it was too long, and this is a newer piece.

There are details to be added, this is just forms and composition/general colors.

Anatomy? Composition? Flatter/glazed shadows? The boat?

Sword, shield, and mask are all to be made form same obsidian-like material.
    Last edited by Quigleyer; December 23rd, 2010 at 02:00 AM.
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Not sure if this matters, but I wouldn't of known that he was a cyclops if you didn't mention it.

I'm also trying to figure out what he's doing in that pose. You couldn't possibly strike like that. And nobody walks around with their elbow behind their back.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to clarithium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hi, the pose is rather feminine, especially from the hips down. Looks a bit like he is on a catwalk

Isn't obsidian glass. I wouldn't fancy a glass shield or a glass helmet (especially if I only had one eye).

You have a great style, it is looking excellent otherwise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottDotNet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Yay! Your other thread were enjoyable therefore I popped in but I'm way too amateur to help...
    But I usually have an opinion that I gladly share.

Hmm... This twisted pose is a bit weird and doesn't show confidence, strength and other things the cyclops should have... I'm agree with ScottDotNet, his pose is feminine. It's funny and the pic looks cool but you probably intended him to strike a serious pose that suits a fighter.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, I'm really liking this one much more than the original. Very atmospheric with a Frazetta feel that we all love.

The shadows on the cyclops (including shied) are a tad on the dark side. A quick adjustment in photoshop (selecting cyclops except the forward knee > levels>output levels: ~15-255) pushes the cyclops further into the middle ground and makes it feel more massive.

I really like the twist in the hip. Something about the pose is rubbing me the wrong way though. I think it might be the sword wielding hand angling the sword outward (away from the head) rather than inward. I'm no sword-expert, but having the wrist angled towards the sky instead of the ground seems a little passive. Having the elbows outward also reads as being more active IMO. On the other hand (pun not intended), I do like how the current angle of the sword both matches the shield, and flows with the outward thigh. Perhaps others more experienced than I could weigh in here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 691 Posts
    You're not giving up on this concept huh? ^^ Hehe I love your perseverance, awesome job and the scale of the cyclops definitely reads better now. He does look a bit feminine, but not exaggeratedly so. It could do with a slight hint of warmer color I think, but that's pretty much it. Looking pretty good to me so far .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    His weight could be more hunch over since he is enormous, and carrying heavy gear like the sword. The body is way too twisted; especially with a very thick environment of lush greenery.

Possibly have the giant cyclops be fighting threw some branches, and causing some trees to fall.

Edit:

Forgot to add that he could be also trying to LOOK for her by peering down threw the trees, stuff like that. Being how thick the scenery looks.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ForteReborn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Getting there Quig - the painting is great, just bits are bugging me,
    A few comments on your comp and (more suggestions, you know me ):
    With his pose the way it is you're directing us out of the picture rather than to the girl, we sweep down the body and leg and out of the frame, apart from the sudden jar when we hit the branch (though that's minor - you need to support the flow).
    Why feminine? for me it's the power shoulders (especially his right) it's really pushing the 'cat walk' feel of it - big swinging arm movements. - 'work it baby'
    Your adding to this with all the soft rounded forms (through the pecs, ribs, obliques and thigh - while technically correct its making him soft)
    He's not really noticed her, from his head position. If you alter the head and the leg position you'll hopefully redirect the flow to the girl (you can lighten up the area around her to enhance her silhouette) hopefully without spoiling the motion of the picture.
    Quick scribble:
    On the left image the magenta line is how I see it flowing now, the green is the suggested flow (also I've picked out the curves - good for girls, bad for tough, boat wearing cyclops )
    The quick scribble on the right alters the head and leg and I've 'sharpened' the edges on the anatomy to make him more masculine - though I might have altered the original intent of the piece)
    Use your light more to drag our eyes along.
    Not sure what to do with the sword arm though, you could use it to link them together to create a visual link.
    Sometimes you have to sacrifice the realism to get a good flow (though hopefully not to much)
    Play up the boat theme too - it could be nice if his loin cloth was the sail, held on with the rigging. I'm sure you've added bit like that on your cyclopes' ideas sheet.
    (these are just my opinions, feel free to ignore, before I get jumped on again)

Attachment 1122095

EDIT: Or you could just move him to the right and put the girl on the left. Sharpen up his anatomy to make him more masculine and it'll save on loads of repainting
    Last edited by Venger; December 14th, 2010 at 11:31 PM.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    to bad, I liked the old one, but defenetly what VENGER said. I whould also like to ad that u should try to make the girl more interesting.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lotet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hello, I really like this one, good job. The girl's pose gives out a nice effect imo, and I have no problem with the pose of the cyclops. What I think migh be more interesting is if we could see the cyclops' scary eye from underneath the helmet.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Heavens For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Trying to address the pose. I like what Venger did a lot. Never meant to "jump on you" earlier though, my apologies .

Back to "rough cut" and hopefully I have enough figured out form-wise so I can knock that out really quickly. I need to get to "detailing" phase soon... I'm getting edgy spending so long on one thing (big learning experience, though).

Thanks so much everyone.
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Thanks
    that's MUCH better! great exapmle for the awesomeness of the crit section.

what is here now, the arm seems too short. his elbow should line up with the belly button. will be hard to solve that composition-wise. maybe add a little canvas width to the right

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfeeras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Kfeeras. I just saw your post, so I didn't really change the arm around too much, but I see that you're right. Might also need to move the woman down to accommodate for the sword?

Here's where I am before work... now going to work. poot.

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast