Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man
    here is something for one of the study groups im doing

edit: Sweet page 2 and lvl 2 hahaha

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey try to feel the surface of what u drawing when u shading and move your strokes in direction of it. i mean dont just fill it and apply that on every form. sorry my english is kinda sucky and study more! what are u using? use 2b pencils

please visit my page and help me.
    or deviantart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to weashell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! ill do that. right now just a little pixel thing. I finally have photoshop again yay. But thing is ive lost my tablet pen -.-
    Meh so ive been pixeling and hand drawing. Ill have a big dump of scans soon and ill be drawing alot since this is my spring break =)

“To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, sketchbook buddy!

I'm sorry for your loss, hope you have been doing alright. Losing a family member is always though; remember that your loved ones are always there for you, and to be there for them as well!

Looking through your SB it feels like you make a definite improvement every time you do studies, so I say keep at it I will try to do more quick studies myself, quantity is important.

Your animals are very impressive! They look very dynamic and expressive, and you seem to have a pretty solid grasp of the mechanics and form of their bodies (especially cats!). You can almost "feel" the movement in the drawing - I guess that's what they call rhythm?

However, I noticed your people sometimes end up looking a little skewed. Maybe drawing from life could help you with that? If they still come out skewed, practice drawing using negative space or other exercises that will help you draw more objectively without being influenced by preconceptions of what things "should" look like. Those two things have helped my figure drawing a lot, I hope they'll work for you as well

And now I want to see some sketches! ;D

My sketchbook! Please have a look and comment!

Sketchbook Support Group:
    Wingal Roboko Oghren Ixallus
    Show them some love!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnyTex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man I will. I also plan on showing u guy what ive been doing in class. I drew some during the break but not as much as i wanted. >.< posted in group thread as well not reposting cause im lazy

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wouldnt go up for some reason

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those eagles are great, one thing that comes to mind is stroke economy, you seem to go over the same line many times, one confident stroke would look much better (but I guess that only comes with practice). Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second Roboko's comment, those eagles look really good! Did you use any references?

If you are interested in animal painting you should check this guy out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Liljefors One of the greatest animal painters IMO - but maybe I'm biased because I'm swedish, haha ;D

Liljefors usually used animals that he had killed or captured himself for his references, so maybe you could take a trip to a natural history museum and do some studies of preserved animals? It could be a fun exercise!

Last edited by JohnyTex; March 14th, 2011 at 04:06 PM.
    My sketchbook! Please have a look and comment!

Sketchbook Support Group:
    Wingal Roboko Oghren Ixallus
    Show them some love!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnyTex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cute great sketches, i like how they have character to them
    keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got my pen yays. Ill do something more serious later =) Happy saint pat's day =D

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 2,429 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Looking good,
    keep the rocking on.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just drawings

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ugh Ive been sick lately and busy and lazy and tired and I cant wait till summer ok im done complaining for now =p OH and if i could get some crits on the teen challenge things that would be awesome. I was kinda disappointed that no one did crits and mine did pretty badly so i know someone thought about it XD. The cat is for a game sprite.

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ugh Ive been sick lately and busy and lazy and tired and I cant wait till summer ok im done complaining for now =p

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    havent been active for a while, so much stuff going on.

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for some reason the uploader isnt working for me well

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for some reason the uploader isnt working for me well

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try to emphasize the quality of the lines over the quantity. One continuous line should define one form or side. You don't want to sketch more than one line for one side of a cube, neither should you for the basic forms that make up those animal drawings. I see this a lot in beginners. When drawing the continuous lines, start off light to get the form or details down and then darken it once for one shape.

My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What i think would be good is working on perspective. So you can apply that to your animals. treat everything you draw like its a or inside a basic shape (box,sphere,cilinder) and draw your lines as if they run over the surface of these shapes. It adds that dimension that is not quite there now.

Oh and maybe try to make a more finished animal, like the lions you did. You have many gesture like animals, maybe take some of those to the next level.
    Its a challenge but you learn a lot from it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3 wip. I dont know what im doing so help/crit is appreciated.

Last edited by Wingal; May 1st, 2011 at 01:44 AM.
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting studies for animals! As you've been said before, they do have such a great amount of personality and dynamism.
    I think you already have a good sense of how to draw animal figures, but I think you still have a big field of improvement for them! You could check out some animal anatomy stuff together with human anatomy, studying both can help you get the idea of what is the difference between them while remember the muscle groups, mechanics, etc. I've seen you already checked out Loomis right? That's quite a good starting point, specially for human anatomy basics. You could check out this other artist Jack Hamm, he's got some nice documents for animal anatomy that may help you out with your characters!

I can also notice, specially on this last dinosaur you posted, that you've improved that "stroke economy" someone stated earlier, good job there, but keep working with it, will give you a lot of accuracy and neatness.

Now, this last pics you posted have to do with volume and light studies right? good! if you are working with light I recomend that you specify cleary where your light source comes from and begin with a so called "hard light" that creates very hard-edged shadows, that will help you getting the 3D feel at the beginning

Hehe, hope all that text up there helps you out in your studies!! I'm a beginner myself, just started a sketchbook here well, hope to see more from you!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to GatoDelCielo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A year ago

Thanks for the advice I got the book and also another book about digital painting. On another topic I have been posting my art online for about a year now and I recently visited the first place i started posting it and here are 2 of my things i did and was happy with. Point is I can see I have improved and it feels good I know i have a long way to go but yea =)

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the above poster. And you should add more environments and stuff in there as well. However, you have a great start and you seem to understand this levels thing more than I do.
    And may I suggest oil pastels? They seem like a medium you would like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like how much posture and movement you achieve in your animal sketches ... keep up the great work!

- BLOG - ------------------ - Sketchbook - ------------------ - deviantART -
    "It's nothing really, all in a days work for us bicycle repair men"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back in action

Thanks for the advice guys. Now that summer is here for me I get to focus on learning more and thats what i plan on doing. Also someone asked me to do the backgrounds for their summer comic so Ive been trying to practice environment and perspective for now. This is just a little of what Ive been doing. Also the last few projects we did in my drawing two class were done in chalk pastel. I dont know how similar that is to oil pastel but it was enjoyable but very messy and the paper ate up most of my chalk. For now my two short goals are getting decent at perspective so I can successfully do these backgrounds and to get decent with these pastels so I can make something im proud of for my grandmother who just got out of the hospital. Oh and maybe participate in more of the teen challenges since i dont have school and no one wants to hire me >.< Also learned how to make my own brush finally =)

Tl;dr Yay summer!

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your approach. You've found what you like and i think it's great. Draw what you feel and do it in your own pace. Don't be afraid and try to draw with more confident line. One stroke in one place is everything you need.
    Keep on drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to stop by and say how much I like your animal studies. They're full of life and personality and it definitely shows that you enjoy drawing them.

Good stuff, and some nice perspective work with the boxes and the rocks in water study at the end there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    got a new book looking forward to it =)

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10