QuickMan

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: QuickMan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

QuickMan

Hey there everyone! I'm sure some of your remember this wip from DA and other places I hosted it.

Well, I want to revamp this up for the Udon Megman collection book. In order to be considered, the image must be:

• 8.5x11"
    • PG
    • Due before Jan.31st.

I want to do something epic, something I've never tried before. But I'm really going to need your help on.

• Composition.
    • Japanese City Landscapes.
    • Rendering of metal.

First I want to tackle the composition. I want this to feel like a metropolis, but I'm not sure how to achieve that look... I was thinking either the detail in the buildings could hint to that, or give the city a bit more congested look through an onlooking crowd. Something along those lines.

I'll be sure to credit all the major helpers in this piece as I do with anything that received a lot of critiques in suggestions.

If you guys think this isn't the right piece for the constraints. I do have some other ideas in my sketch blog. However, Megaman is known for it's beat 'em action. So I think this image could be a winner.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey i've found a sketchbook that might interest you. lots of cool metal/shiny surface rendering:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=171235&page=7

i like the expression!

add some quick-man weapons somehow (boomerang?), and as far as i remember megaman 2 his level had those annoying rays..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfeeras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the energy you have in your Megaman here. I think I'd move the figure more to the right or the left, though. Right now his break-out energy seems to be quelled by him being so close to the middle of the composition. Also, the right (as we see it) side of the horns on his helmet doesn't seem to match the perspective of his face.

The dark shapes right underneath him drew my eye away from the figure. They feel a bit uniform and like they're boxing him in. I'm thinking you want this guy to look like he's exploding out of the scene?

As far as crowds, I'm not sure how that would work in this composition. The figure's pretty big already. It would be tricky. Maybe people lining the rooftops? I think you're better off going for a more realistic building look with plenty of textures and textured trash and debris.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seili For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seili

Thanks! I'll be sure to move him more to the right actually, seeing how he's going backwards as though he was forcefully pushed back.

As for the "horns", they have been giving me a lot of issues. I can't seem to get those suckers just right.

I can see how people could be tricky. Too many and it looks cluttered, too few and its looks too misplaced of symmetrical.

I did a quick clean up and redline of what I see going on in my piece and hopefully i will explain some of the things I've previously mentioned.

When it comes to the darker objects in the foreground, those are parts of the concrete street . Since he's being "pushed back" maybe the debree should be more splayed as it is in the area closer to him?

I was going to blur it since it's in the foreground and is not the focus so that could make it less distracting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kfeeras

Wow! Thanks! That helps out a lot.

Hmm.. well - I wasn't really going for anything pertaining to his level design. The rules only stated that the character had to be canon to the original series - but not necessarily the design of the environment. I personally thought it would be interesting to show him reeking havoc in a metropolis area. After all - that seems to be the only logical way Right's manipulated bots would help Wily take over the world. *nerds out*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! This is the same person, new account.

Here's some compositional ideas. Tell me what you think of the composition, more than the colors right now. Although that's fine as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In my humble opinion, I don't think either of those work. We obviously first focus on the character, and because of the strong sense of action moving to the right, our eyes go right off the canvas to the right, ignoring the entire other side of the image. Almost feels like turning a page in a book and then having to go back to the previous page to continue reading. Maybe if you cut off about a third of the canvas on the left (for the second version) it would work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wooblood

Harshness is sometimes the best tactic. Here's a cropped version like you suggested. Although it now seems more congested than before, which I'm not really liking as it doesn't really have a feel of depth. :/

Maybe I need to change the angle of perspective? I'm not really sure what I should do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IMHO, I like the top composition in your last post, the red of the costume really helps it stand out. If I were attempting to imply fast motion, I might re orient the debris so that the tips go backward more, I think that would make him appear to be moving more powerfully forward. In addition, I think that using even some very weak motion blur or streaking along the ground would give it an overall fast feeling without muddying the composition too much. Keeping the rear of the composition loose and soft might give you the feeling of depth you feel like you lost.

On second thought, you might look at some "The Flash" comics for help with your dilemma. It's very fast and set in a metropolis, it may give you some good reference or inspiration. Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Took some advice from you guys and friends from other art sites. Here's the new comp and look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With some crits from another art site, I decided to revamp the entire layout. What do you guys think about this layout? The other was claimed to have been too cramped so I made this one a bit more spacious as well as dynamic.

I titles the plane but still need to tilt the rest of the image (buildings / Quickman) to match, so I'll be sure to do that , just want to see what you think before I start moving on to the finale process of this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh okay, I get what's going on in the image now. Haha, before I thought that he was somehow running away from a bomb/grenade explosion but now I see that that is dirt getting kicked up as he's running? In light of that, I guess him being that far to the right of the canvas makes sense and is fine since we are seeing a progression of his fast movement across the canvas.
    Now, looking at your last update, it looks pretty good, but I feel like the big buildings(?) you penciled in to his left are a bit cramping in terms of the composition. I suggest opening that up some so we get more of a sense that he's freely running (unless you are intentionally going for a feeling of tension along with those helicopters in the background?).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.