Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Thanks
    Really nice sketchbook. I like your figure studies and your pencil works. Keep these studies coming!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Figure Studies mar.feb-22

2 and 3 min. studies.

Thanks

Fish Sky

Drawing on location doesn't mean you have to draw exactly what you see. You are the artist, so use your imaginations and don't be afraid to experiment. This sketch was done outside the Freshwater centre in Silkeborg, Denmark. The centre provides a framework for an interdisciplinary milieu and comprising AQUA Freshwater Aquariums. I thought it was fun to add fish into the sky above the building to emphasize what the building is used for.

Thanks

Tree Spirite

Digital sketch done in Corel PSP. X

Thanks

Oil Painting, fantasy landscape

This is a oil painting I am working on. It isn't finished jet. The photos was taken when the paint was still wet.

Thanks

Fire dragon

Dragon created from random shapes on a wet in wet water color.

Thanks

The Dragon Creativity

Someone asked me how I come up with the ideas for my fantasy art. I couldn't give her a straight answer when she asked me, but I've mulled over the question for some time, and now I think I might have found an explanation!

You see in the right side of the brain, there is a dragon-cave, where the dragon called Creativity lives. He sleeps on the bank of a pond called The Pond of Imagination. Creativity feeds on a special kind of fish living in the pond called Ideas' Fish.

If I pull out my sketch book and some colour pencils, and I start to create some random doodles, the doodling activity inside my brain, will start to tickle the dragon. The tickling will make him open one eye and perhaps scratch his bag, but he will still be lazy and go back to sleep, unless I keep drawing in my sketchbook.

Let's say I then start to draw my coffee mug standing on the table. This activity will cause the dragon to open an eye again, and perhaps he will even stretch his bag this time, but he still feels lazy and bored and closes his eyes again.

Now that I am done with the sketch of the mug, I grab a nice blue colour pencil and start to draw a tree that grows inside the mug. This activity inside my brain catches the dragon's attention, and it awakes. It stretches its body from head to tail, and starts to feel the hunger for the nice Ideas' Fish swimming in the Pond of Imagination. Creativity is still a bit sleepy, and not fast enough to catch a fish, so my next activity in my sketch book is crucial for the dragon's fishing ability.

If I decide to stop now, Creativity will go hungry! Hunger will make him tired, and he will go back to sleep. However, if I decide to pick up a nice orange colour pencil, and start to paint bright orange dots all over the tree, Creativity will feel awake, and he will jump right into The Pond of Imagination to catch an Ideas' Fish or two to feed on. Creativity will swallow his fish and go back to the bank of the pond to lay down. The two Ideas' Fish will go straight into my brain, and a new idea for a bird monster will pop up in my brain, and I will add it to my sketch. Using the idea the dragon Creativity has caught, will cause him to feel stronger and even more hungry, and he will jump right into The Pond of Imagination once more to catch another Ideas' Fish.

This will go on as long as I keep working with the ideas that the dragon is catching for me. If I let the dragon go to sleep for too long, he will get more and more difficult to awake, so the more I tickle him, and keep him awake, the more ideas he will catch for me in The Pond of Imagination.

So working with art will automatically accumulate more ideas and creative!

Copyright: Marianne Mathiasen 2011

Thanks
    I am still struggling to do digital paintings LOL

Thanks

Shadow Box

To day I created a shadow box. I am going to try to do some fantasy cityscape from models I will create. I will place the model of the city inside the shadow box to be able to control the light and shadows.

Doodles by Ranunkel

I used a large cardboard box like this one.

Doodles by Ranunkel

I used black spray paint for painting the box inside.

Doodles by Ranunkel

I painted the box outside and used a safety mask to cover my mouth and nose to protect my self from inhaling the paint.

Doodles by Ranunkel

I painted all the flaps as well as the box. The flaps are importuned to keep on the box, because they can be used for directing the light into the box later.

Doodles by Ranunkel

In this photo I placed a jug inside the box to show how i will use the shadow box. I need to cut some holes in one of the sides of the box and on top of the box.

Doodles by Ranunkel

I cut two large windows in the box. The windows will be used to directing the light inside the box, just like you do at the theater on a stage.

Doodles by Ranunkel

As you can see I can move the flaps of the box in different ways. ¨

The next thing I did was to cover up the holes from the handles in the box with tape, because I needed to make sure that no light can get through any gabs in the box, I also covered the corners of the box with tape, and painted it black.

Doodles by Ranunkel

I created a black lid for the top window of the box so I can close it if I want.

Doodles by Ranunkel

If any of you ever worked with a shadow box I would love to to hear your comments and ideas. Could it be improved some how?

Thanks

Comic, sketch, idea

This is a sketch and layout idea for a comic strip, I am working on for a friend.
    The comic is just sketches done very rough and quickly, in ps.
    Last edited by ranunkel; April 20th, 2011 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks

Logo Dragon

Logo I did for a friend!

Thanks

Looking into the feature

Looking into the feature. Idea for a fairy portrait.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    cool dragon logo - I have no crits for you really regarding your pencil work because its looking good.

I have never heard of a shadow box before, but now that I see one it does look like a really good idea. And those holes in the side are where you introduce a light source and another for viewing the subject right? If so, I'll definitely make one, because that could be very useful.

Great ideas and hard work, keep it up!
    Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Yes the holes are used for the light source. You can used colour paper to give your still life a glowing effect!
    Last edited by ranunkel; April 22nd, 2011 at 08:19 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,810 Times in 2,528 Posts

Thanks for the shadow box photo tutorial.
    Your art is superb.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast