Contemporary realism Figure Drawing Hi-res reference
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Contemporary realism Figure Drawing Hi-res reference

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Contemporary realism Figure Drawing Hi-res reference

Hi everybody.

currently I am working on some copies from masters(pencil sketches) to get my hand used to(record the application of light with pencil to my hand muscle memory) strong use of light on figure drawing with pencil(sometimes charcoal).

Do anybody know an online source of hi-res pencil(or charcoal) fine and dinished figure drawings or figure parts(eyes, hands, lips, ears etc)?

the level and style I am looking for(or we- It would be a nice source for everyone) is either Roy Lemen or Anthony Ryder.(or any other talented artists that is similar).

I have searched around CA but most of the ones I found were either low-res or too loose&sketchy(I think it is great but its just not what I'm looking for practice at this stage)

I could also purchase some dvds but what I need is that some hi-res contemp. Realism finished figure drawing images(many of them if possible)that I can print on A4 or A3 and trace it with lightbox, than apply exactly the same light on the copy to learn&practice.

I also have found some artists online to buy similar images, but they usually sell the original-sadly not the digital version and for the low-res versions I understand the copyright issues and after putting so much time or handcraft on those magnificient artworks It seems normal to protect the images from misuse.

Currently I am on the move, going from country to country so It is hard for me to lay my hands on printed media. So;

Do anybody have a suggestion about the source?- where I can buy or get for free?

else, Is there a collective Hi-res Image archive that can be purchased
    in CA or CG(I doubt CG has such a thing) or else in Gnomon?

Here are some examples I found low-res but shows what I'm talking about.

thanks all.

themonstermaker.

Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to themonstermaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is there a reason you are looking only at contemporary artists? Artrenewal http://www.artrenewal.org/ has some hi res images, but mostly old timey stuff eg:
    http://www.artrenewal.org/pages/artw...5256&size=huge

You can also look at some Russian academic art, might be to your liking. There is a bunch if you go looking through these threads:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160487
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181642

And if you are interested in tony Ryder, check out his book. There are some nice reproductions and lots of good info in it.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm looking for contemporary because thay are more realistic and good representations on light application with pencil in a more realistic way than older stuff(there are real good oil paintings but for sketching its not really what I am looking for), I mean figures are not much stylized by the artist.(like renaissance figures are somehow bulky-even though they have perfect anatomy)

I mostly practice for concept art and Illustration .At the moment I don't have any possibility to work from live models.(hopefully I will in a couple of weeks). So to keep the flow of working, I am focusing on these.

Art renewal has some real good images, I have visited there before but could not find the big versions, su thanks for the links, it looks like these will hold me for a while.

As I said I want to purchase the books (now that I see that digital versions are also awailable to consider)but I am on the move now. have no room to carry more stuff.

I will dig the links in more.

I can also post the free hi-res images here if anybody else might be interested.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, contemporary artists do longer studies than those that were done in the past, so they do have a higher level of finish. But unfortunately I think the ability to depict form and the structure of the drawings is at a slightly lower level than in the past. So definitely take another look at some older artists.

If you are really keen on contemporaries there is plenty online, but from a quick search I didn't find too much high res stuff. One thing you can do (it will be time consuming) is look through the various school that produce this type of art, and find the lists of instructors, students and alumni. Then once you have the names their own individual websites may have higher resolution images. Some stuff to start you off:
    http://www.angelartschool.com/galleries.html
    http://grandcentralacademy.classicist.org/index.html
    http://www.florenceacademyofart.com/
    http://www.atelierstockholm.se/index...ry&galleryid=6

You can do the same thing by looking at winners of the various Salons held by Art Renewal. There is more of a focus on paintings, but there may still be stuff. Here is this past year's Salon, but they go back every year to 2004:
    http://www.artrenewal.org/pages/cont...alon&page=Main

And lastly for one last plug to ARC (they have so much stuff there!) there is a gallery of contemporaries. Just click on an artist to see more of their stuff, click on a piece of art, and on some you can click again to get the hi res version. I don't think all of the images are high res, or that there are many drawings, but do some work and you may find rewards:
    http://www.artrenewal.org/pages/livingartists.php
    and an example:
    http://www.artrenewal.org/pages/artw...5030&size=huge

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Andrew,

I agree that even though the level of finish is higher than the past, the old masters had a more keen grasp on representing form and structure. I guess both of them have plusses and minuses and although the foundation is still the same, some adaptation is necesary. It simply is an evolution of art that is still having the same DNA but adding on and adapting slightly. I started to notice that the maturity of old masters works are appearing in new generation art works. I guess form and structure will also spring back to the most in time(off course I'm not talking about those who are allready there).

I looked at the previous links you have sent me earlier and found a couple, those should be enough for a few days. once I go back to Istanbul first thing I will do is to buy ryders book. There, I will also have a chance to work with live models from time to time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad I could be of some use. Here is a link I saw in another thread a few minutes ago--more Russian stuff done by some students:
    http://www.practicum.org/index.php?o...6-16&Itemid=41

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, the last link you've sent is pretty good, you can also get the pdf version which has the images in hi-res.

I have seen something similar before, I think it was in a book about life drawing but Russian students are usually pretty good. I have been watching a couple of artists on www.illustrator.ru and there are some truly spectacular artists&artworks.

I wonder if it is the culture or the art education, perhaps a bt of both.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it is the art education. From the threads on CA about the Russian academies it looks really really intense. Not sure if I am entirely correct, but I think I remember reading in one them that they do art school or whatever until 14-15, then four years of art college, then they can take an exam to get into the academy (they may have to do a year long prep course just to take the exam, I know foreigners do) and if they pass the exam they go into a six year long program. You are basically going to be training all day everyday for like 10+ years.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, that sounds like one long art education.

well, I think art is the only thing in world that is 100 percent fare, If you don't practice or If you don't have the passion, you simply won't go far, thus, we practice. That I think goes for all the types of art, from audio to literature or visual arts etc.

the only problem with the russian online sources is that they are mostly in russian, and it's pretty hard to predict what it says. Its like reading a comic book when you're a kid, you only look at the pictures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried to upload the hi-res images I extracted from the PDF, but for some reason the attachments failed(it may be the size restriction, It didn't sat). so anyone interested can follow the links. I will try to post some other I found in due course.

Members who have read this thread: 1