Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.

Thanks

NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.

So I've been told that sketching from life will help to improve my speed. Therefore I'm doing nothing but anatomy studies this month. I have 240 hours left to burn for this, so why not?

I have nothing to lose by posting my work here. Except time. And self respect. And the delusion that my standard, while not fantastic, is not that terrible either.

I know....the proportions aren't good, the shading isn't great, the hands and feet could use a lot of improvement, the face lacks skeletal structure. There's a ton of things that I need to learn. I'll fix my mistakes over time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Good studies but a few problems, the contour lines on the lit side shouldn't be as dark as the shaded side. To make the figures pop more darken the background behind the figure on the lit side or go a bit darker on the shaded side of the forms.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay-Arr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hi there!

When starting out in figure drawing (and as an experienced draw-er) it's best to draw the underlying structure, and to get the "essence" of the pose. Gesture gesture gesture! Don't worry about getting the full figure (especially in contour). The fastest way to learn is to figure out how to capture it with a few strokes. Cut your time down to 30 seconds to start. and do pose after pose after pose (if you have a model that will work with you)

Go for it!
    SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwigarbage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hooray, another day burnt. My eyes are dry now - they've been bleeding all day. I am now immune to my own suckage.

I've been advised to concentrate on anatomy and gesture drawing. So that's what I'll do. Bascially, work on a reference photo. Add muscles to my drawing. Add shading. Erase the muscle lines. If the shading on the finished piece doesn't match up with the reference then I believe I've gotten something wrong.

I still need to continue work on this piece:

The legs and muscles need work. Muscles wrap around. I need to remember that.

I've had a lot of difficulties with faces from bottom view. Hopefully some practice will reduce my struggles.

First piece that I did Monday morning.

Thanks
    Thanks for viewing my pieces, and your suggestions. I'll keep them in mind.

Jay-Arr - Actually I've seen the guys in the life drawing session do that (shading background), but I wasn't curious enough to ask them why. Now I know. I'll try that out starting tomorrow.

Kiwigarbage - Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do gesture in the later part of this month. It may be good for me to get some practice on underlying muscles - I think muscles affect the form. If I get a bit of knowledge on muscles I may be able to improve on the form as well.

Thanks
    Drawing from life will just about improve everything. So keep doing these studies. You also have nothing to lose and a lot to gain by posting here. There is a lot of great artist on these forums but don't be discouraged by it. Look to them for inspiration. The CA community is very supportive and will help you so keep posting.

Thanks

Ugh.

And Burne Horgarth isn't really ideal for me. His books on muscles are great. Provided you're Burne Hogarth.

Basically, he's drawing muscles from all sorts of varied positions. It's almost like he's saying "Hey I can draw muscles like this and this and this!"

What I need though is a 360 rotated degree view of ..say..arm muscles. Andrew Loomis does that better. This is my personal opinion, but Andrew Loomis's books are geared towards someone who's having trouble starting. He's giving a map on where to go. He's considering art instruction for the beginner and complete noob.

Burne Hogarth? "Oh yeah. Here's a picture of muscles like this. And like this. And like this. Would you like another picture of muscles from another view? Here you go! Also, I'm showing you all the muscles without benefit of bone, fats or skin layers. Have fun figuring those out, and have a nice day!"

Maybe I'm just cranky.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoMeat View Post
    Drawing from life will just about improve everything. So keep doing these studies. You also have nothing to lose and a lot to gain by posting here. There is a lot of great artist on these forums but don't be discouraged by it. Look to them for inspiration. The CA community is very supportive and will help you so keep posting.
    Thanks for the reply. More often than not, I'm looking at the fantastic art here and going: Can I do this? No, not at my current standard. Got to improve then!

It's not inspiration, really. More of being scared. It's a good thing, because if you're surrounded by people who completely don't know how to draw, and they look at you and say "Oh you're good at drawing. You've got talent, man."...

That tends to skew personal opinion a bit. This site is essential for keeping the head screwed on straight.

Thanks
    I agree with the comment about hoagrth's books. I started out with his books but found his figures too long and rubber looking. His poses are kool if you like the superhero style of art though.

The Loomis books are very good but I haven't found any that can top the Bridgeman books.

Thanks

Used a camera this time. I think I'll need to do some resizing and brightness adjustment. No more scanners - full picture doesn't fit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Arr View Post
    I agree with the comment about hoagrth's books. I started out with his books but found his figures too long and rubber looking. His poses are kool if you like the superhero style of art though.

The Loomis books are very good but I haven't found any that can top the Bridgeman books.
    And unfortunately, the best stocked bookshop in town doesn't carry Bridgeman books. I'll have to see how to acquire the books via other methods.

Edit: Oh wait it does. And I don't have time to go back there this month. Yuh oh.

Thanks
    Will come back in 4 - 5 hours with another sketch. Having construction problems with seated poses.

By the way, I'll like to have one of Batman's superpowers. Batman has no learning curve.

He doesn't have days where he spends hours and hours learning something and still not getting it. Right now, what I really want to do is to hammer my head into the wall until it bleeds. But I'll settle for resuming practice.
    Last edited by Sumgai83; December 16th, 2010 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks
    Well, I've finally finished this one.

Through the power of caffeine and inadequate sleep, I've also realized why I've made the mistakes I did.

Invisible gremlims. There's no other explanation.

They came to our country via the British aircraft in the 1930s, and evolved to harass people who draw (instead of people who fly airplanes). They are very, very evil. They burn houses and beat mothers up. They put in roadblocks and cause all sort of distraction.

For instance, yesterday I was distracted by invisible gremlims and ended up watching too many Youtube videos of Persona 4 bosses. Beware.

And to any gremlims who might be reading this: VILLAINS!! DISSEMBLE NO MORE!! I ADMIT THE DEED!! TEAR UP THE PLANKS!!!

And now, I shall go to sleep. There's rats scratching at the wall - I hope I can ignore that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast