Sketchbook: NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.

So I've been told that sketching from life will help to improve my speed. Therefore I'm doing nothing but anatomy studies this month. I have 240 hours left to burn for this, so why not?

I have nothing to lose by posting my work here. Except time. And self respect. And the delusion that my standard, while not fantastic, is not that terrible either.

I know....the proportions aren't good, the shading isn't great, the hands and feet could use a lot of improvement, the face lacks skeletal structure. There's a ton of things that I need to learn. I'll fix my mistakes over time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good studies but a few problems, the contour lines on the lit side shouldn't be as dark as the shaded side. To make the figures pop more darken the background behind the figure on the lit side or go a bit darker on the shaded side of the forms.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay-Arr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there!

When starting out in figure drawing (and as an experienced draw-er) it's best to draw the underlying structure, and to get the "essence" of the pose. Gesture gesture gesture! Don't worry about getting the full figure (especially in contour). The fastest way to learn is to figure out how to capture it with a few strokes. Cut your time down to 30 seconds to start. and do pose after pose after pose (if you have a model that will work with you)

Go for it!

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwigarbage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hooray, another day burnt. My eyes are dry now - they've been bleeding all day. I am now immune to my own suckage.

I've been advised to concentrate on anatomy and gesture drawing. So that's what I'll do. Bascially, work on a reference photo. Add muscles to my drawing. Add shading. Erase the muscle lines. If the shading on the finished piece doesn't match up with the reference then I believe I've gotten something wrong.

I still need to continue work on this piece:

The legs and muscles need work. Muscles wrap around. I need to remember that.

I've had a lot of difficulties with faces from bottom view. Hopefully some practice will reduce my struggles.

First piece that I did Monday morning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for viewing my pieces, and your suggestions. I'll keep them in mind.

Jay-Arr - Actually I've seen the guys in the life drawing session do that (shading background), but I wasn't curious enough to ask them why. Now I know. I'll try that out starting tomorrow.

Kiwigarbage - Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do gesture in the later part of this month. It may be good for me to get some practice on underlying muscles - I think muscles affect the form. If I get a bit of knowledge on muscles I may be able to improve on the form as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing from life will just about improve everything. So keep doing these studies. You also have nothing to lose and a lot to gain by posting here. There is a lot of great artist on these forums but don't be discouraged by it. Look to them for inspiration. The CA community is very supportive and will help you so keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ugh.

And Burne Horgarth isn't really ideal for me. His books on muscles are great. Provided you're Burne Hogarth.

Basically, he's drawing muscles from all sorts of varied positions. It's almost like he's saying "Hey I can draw muscles like this and this and this!"

What I need though is a 360 rotated degree view of ..say..arm muscles. Andrew Loomis does that better. This is my personal opinion, but Andrew Loomis's books are geared towards someone who's having trouble starting. He's giving a map on where to go. He's considering art instruction for the beginner and complete noob.

Burne Hogarth? "Oh yeah. Here's a picture of muscles like this. And like this. And like this. Would you like another picture of muscles from another view? Here you go! Also, I'm showing you all the muscles without benefit of bone, fats or skin layers. Have fun figuring those out, and have a nice day!"

Maybe I'm just cranky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoMeat View Post
    Drawing from life will just about improve everything. So keep doing these studies. You also have nothing to lose and a lot to gain by posting here. There is a lot of great artist on these forums but don't be discouraged by it. Look to them for inspiration. The CA community is very supportive and will help you so keep posting.
    Thanks for the reply. More often than not, I'm looking at the fantastic art here and going: Can I do this? No, not at my current standard. Got to improve then!

It's not inspiration, really. More of being scared. It's a good thing, because if you're surrounded by people who completely don't know how to draw, and they look at you and say "Oh you're good at drawing. You've got talent, man."...

That tends to skew personal opinion a bit. This site is essential for keeping the head screwed on straight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the comment about hoagrth's books. I started out with his books but found his figures too long and rubber looking. His poses are kool if you like the superhero style of art though.

The Loomis books are very good but I haven't found any that can top the Bridgeman books.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Used a camera this time. I think I'll need to do some resizing and brightness adjustment. No more scanners - full picture doesn't fit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Arr View Post
    I agree with the comment about hoagrth's books. I started out with his books but found his figures too long and rubber looking. His poses are kool if you like the superhero style of art though.

The Loomis books are very good but I haven't found any that can top the Bridgeman books.
    And unfortunately, the best stocked bookshop in town doesn't carry Bridgeman books. I'll have to see how to acquire the books via other methods.

Edit: Oh wait it does. And I don't have time to go back there this month. Yuh oh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Will come back in 4 - 5 hours with another sketch. Having construction problems with seated poses.

By the way, I'll like to have one of Batman's superpowers. Batman has no learning curve.

He doesn't have days where he spends hours and hours learning something and still not getting it. Right now, what I really want to do is to hammer my head into the wall until it bleeds. But I'll settle for resuming practice.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sumgai83; December 16th, 2010 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I've finally finished this one.

Through the power of caffeine and inadequate sleep, I've also realized why I've made the mistakes I did.

Invisible gremlims. There's no other explanation.

They came to our country via the British aircraft in the 1930s, and evolved to harass people who draw (instead of people who fly airplanes). They are very, very evil. They burn houses and beat mothers up. They put in roadblocks and cause all sort of distraction.

For instance, yesterday I was distracted by invisible gremlims and ended up watching too many Youtube videos of Persona 4 bosses. Beware.

And to any gremlims who might be reading this: VILLAINS!! DISSEMBLE NO MORE!! I ADMIT THE DEED!! TEAR UP THE PLANKS!!!

And now, I shall go to sleep. There's rats scratching at the wall - I hope I can ignore that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wasted too much time yesterday and fell asleep without knowing it. I hate it when that happens.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

It's obvious that I didn't put much effort in one or two parts. You can see that.

Will try to do another one or two pictures before I go sleep. The power of caffeine shall aid me.

I know that some people really like/love drawing here. Otherwise they won't be posting their art here. I'm not one of those people.

To me, it's simply a habit that I'll like to be paid for. I imagine that a professional plumber or carpenter doesn't go into raptures on how his job's the best in the world. He doesn't do a choreographed dance routine with backup in the street, singing on how much passion he has.

He'll do the job only because he's able to make a living from it, and he'll put effort into the work since he takes pride in his craft. His conscience won't let him get away with half assed work.

That's all that's to it, really. I don't get any orgasms from sitting down and drawing - drawing's tedious and grinding to me. I don't even know if I'm happy doing this. But at the end, I just want to do good work. If grinding is what it takes, then I'll grind the hell out.

And now, back to drawing. Got to make some coffee first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Serious thunderthighs here. Actually it's not the thighs that's wrong, I made the waist too thin. Also, the face isn't right. I spent a day on the face and I still can't get it. 3 more hours of practice needed today.

Apparently the library staff considers Jeremy Clarkson to be on par with Shakespeare, Orwell and Kipling. They've placed Clarkson's books in the Literature section.

In ten years' time I expect literature scholars to analyse Clarkson and to write up student guides for him. I'll be waiting for that.

Hell, I'll rather study Top Gear than Macbeth anyday. Shakespeare wrote Macbeth to curry favour with King James (who wasn't worth a shit as a ruler), while Jeremy Clarkson doesn't really care whatever other people think of him.

Therefore to me, Clarkson>>>>>Shakespeare.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany K. View Post
    I don't know the reference photos you are using (therefore don't take this critique too seriously) but I think your drawing most of the women's hips and waists too thin (comparing this to the size of their heads and shoulders).

Otherwise I think the thread title is misleading. Your sketches are not bad; you're use of shading is good and you're conveying the forms of the body nicely, you just need to keep up what you're doing. I'll suggest that with some of the more complicated parts (hands, feet, faces) just draw that part multiple times on a paper instead of the rest of the body.
    I see what you're saying. Maybe I should use larger paper sizes - sometimes I concentrate too much on the features of the face (and thus exaggerate the head size without knowing it).

Thanks for telling me - I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Not happy with this piece. Could have done better. Will try to do one last piece before getting on with gesture studies.

Should try to focus more when fully awake.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New year's resolution reached, I guess. I doubt anyone's interested, but Deviantart seems to have unreliable loading and server processing. If anyone wants to see the full load of work I posted, it's here.

Still slightly pissed about this work. I spent 3 days redoing this pose due to the face, proportions and figure not fitting into the paper. Threw away 10 pages before I settled on this.

And this...piece of shit is the best I can do. Quite frustrated at my skills.

NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.

[Pointless rambling]

I suppose I should try to focus more - I could have produced one or two more pages by now. Got distracted too often. There's one day that I had a fever, so it's one day wasted too.

Try to draw while you have a fever - it's quite tough. Wake up, stagger to your drawing desk whilst having a headache and general shivers all around. Scratch a few lines, get back to sleep while trying to ignore the cold in your body. Wake up again, rinse, repeat. Congrats, it's a day gone.

It's no fun being sick, so don't be.

Though it was pretty easy for the standing poses - I finished them pretty much in a day. The sitting poses weren't too bad. It's the reclining poses that I got stuck on.

I spent around 20 pages of papers scratching away, drawing through, and generally trying to understand how the reclining poses worked.

*Sigh*. I'll be starting stories this Monday, and I'll have to start looking for another temp job too. Gah.

"Good morning ****. This is ****. How may I help you?." Then listen to complaints from irate customers, try to solve the problem. I'm not looking forward to that.

Unless if I get the gofer or admin job at Double Negative, which is highly unlikely. They've probably closed the positions now.

Nevertheless, it's almost time to start stories. I wish I had some actual talent - if I had Falcoon's or Hyung's(without the distorted proportions) standard now I'm sure things would be much more different.

Still, I got to work with what I have and try to figure out a way to make things work. Either that or stick it out until I get the standard and have a bit of traffic.

[/end rambling]

Sketchbook (nothing much to look at)

deviantart account(also nothing much to look at)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Attempting to achieve something similar to Klaus's output. Of course, I'm not as good as him yet. Or as prodigious.

Gesture studies done today, 2 - 3 mins each. Some of the sketches have gross errors in them. Have to improve more.

NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed. NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.

I think I'll look at Klaus's practice for some time and gleam the principles behind his work. It will help tremendously. Owe him a debt of thanks - he's showing that the bar can be raised so much higher. It's just whether I'm willing to raise it.

Edit: I understand the lack of responses in this thread.

1. I'm not good enough yet.
    2. I don't really go around and comment on others' sketchbooks; it's logical that they don't do the same.

I've better get used to it. Might take several years before I get noticed/be able to draw for a living. But if anyone suggests that I give it up....I'll rip their heads off and drink their blood.

Last edited by Sumgai83; January 1st, 2011 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just before you raise the bar and bump into it, read carefully what Klaus wrote:

Best is to study the human body (not Anime) till you barf it out of your ears. Then take everything you learned and turn it into your own style. That's pretty much the hard way to do it right and the long way.
    In other words I would strongly suggest to grab an anatomy book or two (Bridgman, Loomis, etc) and to do detailed anatomy studies. Loomis books can be found here:

http://www.fineart.sk/?cat=1

Also, do not be so much self-doubting, it is a good start, your studies look great given that you have just started a long road. I like the last sentence of your last post: that is the spirit, keep it up!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to pixel cheetah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixel cheetah - Thanks for the comment. Actually I have all of Loomis's books, printed. I'll be getting Bridgman's next time I pop over to the bookstore. I think I know what to do now.

2 - 3 mins poses, done yesterday + 1 x 3 hour session today. You can see that most of the poses were repeated. I wasn't satisfied the first time they came out. You can see how well they turned out (/sarcasm).

Need work on anatomy since it affects gesture drawing.

NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.

Time to get to stories.

Things to do from today onwards, for this six month stint:

• 2 hour resume submission (til I get a temp 6 month job).
    • 1 hour practice of anatomy/gesture sketching. Alternate between gesture and anatomy every 3 days. 2 - 3 hours on weekends.
    • Rest of the time: practice on stories.
      Before I get a job: minimum 8 hours/day.
      After I get a job: 3 hours/weekday. 6 hours on weekends.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow now that's alot of hard work plastered on my screen lol. The process of having to upload each one of those alone is inspiring in itself! Definitely keep on doing what your doing, I'll be loving to see how far you will go if you keep up this pace.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sumgai83: There is already a significant amount of improvement. Bridgeman and Loomis are great, but if I can throw in another suggestion Anatomy: A complete guide for Artist by Joseph Sheppard.

I really enjoy the writing as it's simple and straight to the point. It also pans out everything in proportions.

With the latest batch of studies I noticed that the arms are a little long in some studies, but at the rate your going at this shouldn't be a problem.

Quite the inspiration, Cheers mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pervy: Thanks for the compliment. Actually I posted that much only because I'm slightly paranoid. I'm always thinking that there's someone looking and saying: "Ah...this guy can talk the walk - but he doesn't do jack shit." The odds are that no one's thinking that, but as I said...I'm paranoid.

I mean....it's really, really odd when someone uses 1 hour of their time to post all these images when the person could be drawing for that hour. Anyway, I'm going to dive down and do a lot more faces, so will update less regularly.

Allan-p: Thanks. I'll keep note of the arms. It might be good to expect less though...I'll need more time to learn the faces for now.

Two of the practice on faces were pretty much wasted time. The contours are all wrong. I only realized that when I looked at an actual, real life face. How did that guy use those contours to draw anyway??

NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.NSFW. Also will make your eyes bleed.

Changing my plans.

Things to do from today onwards, for this six month stint:

2 hour resume submission (til I get a temp 6 month job).
    3 hour practice of anatomy/gesture sketching. Alternate between gesture and anatomy every 3 days. 2 - 3 hours on weekends.
    2 hour practice on stories.
    Rest of the time: practice on faces.
    Before I get a job: minimum 8 hours/day.
    After I get a job: 3 hours/weekday. 6 hours on weekends.

Hi Sean, if you're reading this..

I know I said I'm going to do character design and stories now, but I tried to draw faces yesterday. Spent 5 minutes or more on ONE FACE. The speed isn't there. The basic standard isn't there either. So I really, really need to practice on faces before I start in earnest.

I've also looked at my artbooks. Basically, I figured out that the manga artists already have had loads of practice (gesture and facial) before starting out. That's why they can scribble out a full figure (even if it's loose).

The knowledge of anatomy, positioning of facial features, proportion, poses was hammered into them through hours of practice.

I probably won't be able to start with that standard, but one more month's of practice on faces should go a short way to start.

Also, you might want to look through the sketchbooks here (if you don't know of this site yet). The people here scare me. Seriously. It's like having a yellow belt in karate. You think you're the shit, and people around you say "Oh hey you know how to draw! Wow!"

Then you come to this forum. Instant beatdown - all arrogance gets stripped away in a blink. Hell, 15 and 16 year old kids here can draw better than me. Imagine that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I get distracted too often, so I decided to post something that I've been working on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Be posting the finished piece in a few days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This was something that I did in like 30 mins, two days ago.

Actually I wasn't going to post it here since it was already on Deviantart, but I just wanted to comment.

Bet 90% of the guys viewing this thread will look at the first picture, get turned off by the poor standard and leave. And think that I'm a complete neophyte in drawing when I go comment on threads.

That's alright by me.

Well, back to drawing the face that I'm supposed to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great determination man, so many studies.
    Keep your attention on your linework. Try to see the whole subject as shapes and not as outlines with filling inside. Also, try to draw the shadows using clear lines and don't be afraid to have some black tones in there.
    Keep up!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to knut- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by knut- View Post
    Great determination man, so many studies.
    Keep your attention on your linework. Try to see the whole subject as shapes and not as outlines with filling inside. Also, try to draw the shadows using clear lines and don't be afraid to have some black tones in there.
    Keep up!

You mean using shapes to depict a form (like these)? I tried that and it doesn't seem to work too well for me.

When I try to use shapes, I get too distracted by the shapes and end up not including anatomy details that will enhance the dynamism. For instance, body twists and turns might cause some bone structure to protrude out (like ribs or the pelvic bone).

If I use shapes, I end up focusing only on the shapes, which takes a lot out of my intention to make the image dynamic.

Perhaps you could point me to some system/style of drawing that might work better for people like me. Right now I'm looking at Takehito Harada's (Disgaea) paints. He paints out a general shape and works out the details from there.

Sorry for the bad drawings - I only spent like 5 mins/figure to show my deficiency.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3