Sketchbook: Consistency guarantees success. This SB will be here until I die. - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Consistency guarantees success. This SB will be here until I die.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you copied my master pick
    Cool stuff i like the lonely rendered horn

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephane Perez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boom! Headshot! I had to draw something silly because I was getting bored halfway through. Crits welcome.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Do a lot of work and your work will be as good as your ambitions.
    Eternal Sketchbook

Tensai --- A La Bapsi --- Psychobuddy --- Wingal--- Lakai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephane Perez View Post
    Hey you copied my master pick
    Cool stuff i like the lonely rendered horn
    Yeah that was added on last minute. My parents would think I am possessed by the devil if they saw that!. Cuz you know. Drawing a horn means that your soul belongs to the devil and all.

Eternal Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yoyoyo

Eternal Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try to refine you stuff more, like the last one you could set the opacity of the drawing down to say 30% and draw over it on a new layer.

Some of the object studies are nice e.g. the pocketknife

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up A fellow jamaican yardie

I had to make an account when i saw this I am lurker that usally finds what he needs in the forums by searching but seeing a fellow jamaican has really boosted my own morale to really try harder .

I am from ocho rios and19, I wish you all the luck in your ventures man.
    In Jamaica I know how hard it is with the whole art situation is because
    its just the way our culture is and a lot of Jamaicans appreciate reggae and stage arts but when it comes to paintings or illustrations its just

I am on a journey to get better at art and slowly refine my technique but havent worked up the nerve to post any of my stuff yet.

One of my major goals is to make my own graphic novel and really expose other young artists in Jamaica to the scene because there are many hidden gems across jamaica. It is a really big mission and so far I only have 3 out 7 people who are still learning but I dont know if they will go the full mile into learning how to draw. writers in Jamaica there are many but artists are pretty much in the minority

The books I am using right now is Andrew Loomis successful drawing supplemented by Bridgeman - guide to drawing from life .
    This combo works beautifully for me right now of course I know there is hogarth ,vilppu ( i can name of my head right now) but the mechanical/flowing for lack of better comparison above combo is working out really well.
    I want to finish loomis's books but I am in no hurry.

Any advice I can offer to you might not be helpful because I am just 5 weeks into my journey.
    I can only echo what the small group of art professors have told me is that art is a long journey and the day you make a masterpiece is the day you stop progressing as an artist this might be read differently by others but what I took from this is that the day you make a piece you are 100% satisfied with is the day you slowly begin to stifle your potential and the pieces you create must of course be self satisfactory but you must always aim to be better , never stop asking why , have a very deep theory/physical understanding of whats under the bonnet of whatever you create or tackle I am sure there is more.

That is what was told in the art class but I have now left that class because I am tired of being forced to do what they want me to do.
    This is not an attitude that I am too good for the class but I always learn by interpreting things at my own pace.
    The only thing I miss from that class is the Live models.

I thought about going digitalfully awhile back but nothing beats the calming and humbling experience of trying to draw the landscape under full moonlight and you cant get that from a tablet but I do think digital art complements traditional well and digital on its own is really something else when I look at some of the concept artist work on CA.
    Digital art medium really opens up the world of art for someone learning with all the different brushes,colors etc

I might have rambled too much but I echo what others have said about breaking up yo goals into smaller goals because "one one coco full basket"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Azuerous For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakai View Post
    Try to refine you stuff more, like the last one you could set the opacity of the drawing down to say 30% and draw over it on a new layer.

Some of the object studies are nice e.g. the pocketknife
    Thanks I will incorporate more of that. I was afraid I would be moving too quickly to value while my construction was not even solid but I will tone a few here and there.

Eternal Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working on filling a page with heads.

Eternal Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SKULLZZZZZZ

You know what to do

Eternal Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up the good work bro

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tronrobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks dude!

Eternal Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ear under the midline you hypocrite! xP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff in here. Try not to incorporate shading in to some of those loomis head studies unless you are looking at an actual 3D model. Making up your own shading won't help you learn, it'll only help you improvise for what you are unsure of. Try and apply all these studies you're doing to your imagination and keep up the good work

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest_I For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stephane Whaat!?!? Which one!? Tell me!? How could I have made that mistake!? Ah!

Forrest Thaanks. I shaded because I wanted to shake of the rust of of my digital skills, though I perfectly understand why you are saying that I look from a 3D model. I can't light what I don't know. I will definitely use some references next time and invest in a skull!

Eternal Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life drawing today!!!!!! Let's see what I can do!

Eternal Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    10 & 12 and 9 a little

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephane Perez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook^^
    Keep it up~

I struggle with my art studies and stuff, but I NEVER quit. *cough* just making myself clear
    Here, check my Sketchbook, drop a comment, you're always welcomed

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Dihleez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello man another Jamaican here.

Its a bit of a ramble and doesn't help I am pretty lethargic right now.

very nice work so far even though im not looking at art as
    an career but Its a serious hobby of mine.

I have been 5 or so weeks into drawing it took some time for me to find a good study flow.The combo that is working beautifuly for me is Loomis - Successful drawing and Bridgemans- drawing from life and its going really well.
    There are other books but right now Im just moving back and forth between the loomis's series of books and I am pretty much occupied by the loomis books not mention I hardly cracked the Bridgman book in terms of fully understanding what its trying to tell me or what I should take from it.

Just keep up the momentum and keep finding inspiration to give you that passion to succeed man.
    Never stop pushing yourself to become the artist you know you can be and dont make the mistake I did and what pushed me back 3 years of progress by comparing yourself to others because that stifled my own progress and I gave up.

I am 19 now but what if I did not give up learning to draw 3 years back and how good an artist would I be right now?
    That is a regret and it is not good for for the heart or the mind.
    Now I am back on track and even If I had stick to learning to draw 3 years back it would have probably been
    the same old DBZ/ anime characters and in the end I would still have to relearn the fundamentals .

My goals I set for myself were huge when I looked at them but I echo what others have said break the goals down to smaller milestones and achive them one by one.
    Because Yuh know seh one one coco full basket

Last edited by Azuerous; February 26th, 2012 at 06:50 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Azuerous For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Azuerous I have NO IDEA how you long as hell comment slipped through the cracks. I read every comment but I think this things updates quite weird so sorry about that. My next post will be a proper response so look out for that.

Morning tea: Thanks much man. I just have to keep going.

Eternal Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In Jamaica I know how hard it is with the whole art situation is because
    its just the way our culture is and a lot of Jamaicans appreciate reggae and stage arts but when it comes to paintings or illustrations its just WTF

Man I now exactly how you feel. I went to Edna Manley to try and do my thing there and the NUMBER ONE thing that got me was that the majority of the first year students were UNTEACHABLE. They somehow thought that they had "made it" and had it in their heads that they were "somebody". A teacher was gently trying to correct a student in one of the classes and she had the nastiest attitude I could ever imagine. I don't even WANT to go down that story road because that just burned me so hard I was disgusted. Luckily for my my mother had enough money to send me abroad because I KNOW I suck and I KNOW I am far away from being anywhere near "Good".

Appreciation for paintings and illustrations (don't even get me started on fantasy) is just well, almost non-existent. Even if you were some ULTRA pro I think they would look at it and say "what is this!? Some monster just flying all over the place this is a waste a mi time" or some foolishness like that BUT if you go out there and say "yeah dawg I make riddims and ting" or "yeah I play guitar/bass/drums" Oh God fada yes you are some mini-superstar. It is appalling and it hurts dude, it really hurts because I want to be as good as "those guys on TV/magazines" but to put it frankly Nobody gives a s**t.

One of my major goals is to make my own graphic novel and really expose other young artists in Jamaica to the scene because there are many hidden gems across jamaica. It is a really big mission and so far I only have 3 out 7 people who are still learning but I dont know if they will go the full mile into learning how to draw. writers in Jamaica there are many but artists are pretty much in the minority

I freakin' love Jamaica! Dude! We all love our country! Even though it is put through a lot of S**T we all do. We ALL know the country's potential. It could be one of the most profitable countries in the world but the corruption has just been pushed TOO FAR. Every country has corruption, I know but we, the people have allowed the government to manipulate us to nothing. The government is nothing without the people. What really makes me mad is that after ALL this time if you want to cover things up all you have to do is give people credit and make them food. I can't blame them, it's what the people want. The government will forever try to keep them as stupid as possible because if they knew even some of the stuff that is going on around them or if the average Joe had a good sense of logic all the s88t that you see going on COULD NOT HAPPEN because credit or food would not be enough to change their mind.

I digress.

I also want to expose our country in the way Japan does through the media. I can tell you that I started my quest to become fluent in Japanese because I grew up watching shows like Miyazaki films and DBZ (every Jamaican boy know DBZ!!!!) So hey why not do the same, but JAMAICAN. Hopefully by the time I get good and am ready to release some stuff the country would be in a presentable shape but all I can do is pray and better myself. Now about those three friends you have? Don't worry about them, seriously. When they see you start to improve they will be right behind you and you can be there to help them get better. If not keep going anyway, if you are doing art to please them or your mother or anybody stop right now because you will face opposition at some point and you and only you will have to find the strength to keep going. YOU work on your stuff with EVERY spare minute you have, trust me, as you get older time become harder to find. Instead of video games or something that somebody else made why don't you CREATE your own stuff. Those books you have? Make it a goal that you will know those books inside and out. When you are finished, the books should have pages falling out because you know every chapter back and forth.

Thanks man it is always refreshing to hear from a Jamaican. Just the other day I met a lady from Jamaica and she promised me some curried goat!! OMG!!!!!!!!! I went wild. I love that stuff

I am just 5 weeks into my journey.

I am almost a year into mine. It's all about the work you put in man. if you feel you are not getting better, you can do two things:
    1. Give up and die.
    2. Work harder and keep going

During the first two years, you will suck. YOU WILL SUCK. Just in case you read over that. You will hate almost everything you do, maybe. Just keep going. I hope you have gotten the theme of this post!

I LOVE your attitude and we are here to bounce off each other and give each other inspiration when things start going rough. So thank you for all the kind words. It really helps me to keep pushing.

I am listening to this 2 hour video on youtube. Find the time and listen to it. He had no training but just applied raw work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEU03...M4BYJ8Sx7rgjkI

Also have you heard of algenpfledger <- I hope that is spelled correctly. He was your age when he started drawing and his first couple stuff sucked ass. Kept going an 4 years later, yeah. He is pro. VERY PRO. You have wasted time but start now and you will be good to go.

I think that is all I have to say about now. You can ask me any questions at anytime and I will try my best to answer!

Peace!

Eternal Sketchbook

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Eternal Apprentice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Medelo View Post
    Hi Ixallus, you've got a lot of good work going on here. It does seem a little bit haphazard though, so my one bit of advice to you would be to really stop and think about what you know and don't know. Make a list of things you do know, like the anatomy of heads, or value scales. Do you know how values really work? Have you done some scales? Loomis has a bit on values in his book Creative Illustration, that would be an excellent place to start.

Don't just copy drawings from Bridgman and Loomis and all those other books, really break it down and try and see if you can categorize what they're trying to teach you. For example, Bridgman is teaching you anatomy but he's also teaching you simple lighting of forms. He's teaching you rhythm and movement in the body. He's teaching you about balance and offsetting, not just in the body but in his lines, when he puts curves next to straights. So the next time you draw a figure from your head, don't just ask yourself if you've got the anatomy right: is the figure balanced? If it's an active pose, is there the same kind of movement Bridgman puts in his drawings?

When you've determined what you do know, then you can begin to figure out what else you need to find out about in order to really start getting better.

For example, you said you need to figure out how to light neck muscles. Really, a neck is just a cylinder with a bit more undulations in it. Figure out how a cylinder looks like under lighting. If you can't light basic shapes in your head without reference, you need to study that. Work backwards from what you need to get to the basics that are the foundational rock on which you can build the rest of your art on.

Another example: you said that you're following Zhang Lu's video, that's great. But do you know why he uses soft edges? You'll need to study more about lighting and forms to understand that his use of soft edges is strategic and follows light logic. Edges become soft or gradate when the forms turn away from the light, for example, and that's just one instance. So really think about soft edges -- observe it in what you see around you. Where do you find soft edges on a sphere?

Anyway, sorry if that came out too long I think it's great that you're looking up all this information and really studying, but I think you'll have an easier time studying and improving if you try and break things down into the utter basics.

Awesome crit over at Ixallus's SB PLUS SOME LIFE STUDIES ON THE WAY!

Eternal Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We got 30 minutes to do each so I could not go as dark as I wanted to so some contrast was added in PS for the pose sitting down due to how big it was.

The one with her lying down was a "warm up" as the teacher said. I found it good to not think about "loving" your art so much that you can't scrap it and go to another one. i learned twice as much from the second than if I was to keep fighting with the the first (lying down pose). Thankfully the teacher kept rotating the pose. Also sad is i only had enough time to draw two poses!!

How much does a model usually cost per hour? I need more practice!!

Eternal Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I need to work up the nerve to post some stuff but thanks for the hell of a reply was a really good read.
    Also The first post I made didn't go through at first and I waited to see if it was going to post after a day it didnt so I tried remember scraps from my first post and post again.

Just trying to open up the room for more experienced people to come in.

on the first one from my opinion you need to work more on grasping form, construction and body building.
    For you to get the effect you desire you must have a deep understanding of whats going on underneath.

Also it doesnt flow right from the lower back upwards to the hair it almost looks disconnected as if you were trying to create the effect of the upper body vanishing into the distance.

The second Pose I can see the form emerging but its being stifled by too much careless marks.

Again I may be wrong but Im sure others will come in with a better crit.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Azuerous For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Azuerous

on the first one from my opinion you need to work more on grasping form, construction and body building.
    For you to get the effect you desire you must have a deep understanding of whats going on underneath.

Also it doesnt flow right from the lower back upwards to the hair it almost looks disconnected as if you were trying to create the effect of the upper body vanishing into the distance.

That pose was the first pose I did when I just got in. I agree that I need more time studying the underlying structure because on the upper left I made what I though was a good representation of the hip bone and her rib-cage but it did not quite translate very nicely when it came time to put skin on her. I think I may be better at the structure than putting down skin. IDK, I will keep at it.

Yeah from the lower back up to her head WAS twisted a bit and her right shoulder was hidden on the bed she was lying on. I gotta tell ya that pose was HARD!

The second pose I was trying (hopelessly) to create a mid-tone with my pencil so that I could pull out some highlight with the rubber but, well, that didn't work out. As I was doing the marks I didn't really like how messy it was coming out either.

Thanks man! I appreciate the insight!

Eternal Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem I do hope to get a scanner soon because my camera just not cutting it right now.
    I want to upload and the only thing in all honesty that is stopping me from starting is excuses I need to really man up.

Your studies seem to be going a lot better than mine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuerous View Post
    No problem I do hope to get a scanner soon because my camera just not cutting it right now.
    I want to upload and the only thing in all honesty that is stopping me from starting is excuses I need to really man up.

Your studies seem to be going a lot better than mine.
    My friend we all have our mental barriers.

Also people don't care if you suck on this website. All they want to see is drive, consistency, perseverance and improvement and a willingness to learn. If you have all of those checked there is no reason to not start a sketchbook so you can see your progress. You plan to do art right? Have a visual of your progress will be better the sooner you start!

Eternal Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been having some problems with full body photo refs lately. I'll go into detail tmrw.

Eternal Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aha an update keep them coming ^^

I wanted to do some sketches to day but I got some new books and spent the whole day reading them Lol by the time I realised that I need to star putting down some sketches already got to deep into the books to put them down But I am going to try and do a couple tonight before bed.

~ Hard work beats wasted talent.

Doing a little soul searching ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Azu <Can I call you Azu? ^_^ Hey man keep the attitude! See if you can replace "try" with "will"! Now, go forth and work towards awesomeness!

And now some studies. I don't think I am posting enough? I feel like I should just have a Wall of studies when I post, for substance, you know? Like about a hundred studies every post. Might be a weekly sketchbook then. IDK.

How many studies should I do a day? Gimmi a challenge!

Eternal Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    moarrrrrrrr

Eternal Sketchbook

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 12