Sketchbook: Captain Riviera's Super Awesome Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Captain Riviera's Super Awesome Sketchbook

Everybody says that starting a sketchbook here is super mega helpful so here I go.

A Little Bit About Me
    I'm an art student who is hoping to get into concept art. I really just like sketching and digital painting but I know how to do other stuff and often times I'll experiment with acrylics and markers. I really like doing fantasy art and more recently I've become a little obsessed with trying to combine fantasy stuff with the modern world. I don't have a lot of finished pieces that reflect that because it is a recent obsession but trust me. I've got alot of sketches and pictures floating in my head that will reflect that.

I'm just gonna dump a few finished works for the first post. Maybe I'll stop being lazy and actually scan some sketches or become more comfortable posting digital sketches. Digital sketches just feel like incomplete pictures to me so I don't like showing them. That's why I won't upload many WIPs. I hate doing that for 2 reasons.
    1) because I feel like it forces people to judge without (pardon the pun) "seeing the whole picture" so they might not get what I'm trying to do but I see its usefulness so I might try to do it.
    2) When I start a picture I hate stopping and taking breaks. If I have the time, I'll keep working until its done. That makes uploading a WIP for help more of a chore then me actually seeking advice.

Obviously the Point of this is to get better so I shouldn't have to say it but I will anyway. Any and all critique welcome. I'm not easily offended but I'd still appreciate it if you tried to be respectful.

Attached Images Attached Images                      
    Last edited by Cap.Riviera; December 20th, 2010 at 04:34 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SkETchES

"Sketches in a sketch book! Bull$H1* Captain!" It's legit tho check em out.

These are my favorite sketches from a real sketchbook I just finished. For you kids, a book is like a paper sandwich.

First is sketches of David Chappelle and Johnny Knoxville. The rest are some character designs I did for fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I love your pencil work its just amazing. Did you come up w/ all of those off the top of your head?

FEEL FREE TO BASH OR LIKE MY SKETCHBOOK (either or is great fer me)
    SKETCHBOOK

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Medusoid: Yea all these are created and designed by me.

Mischeviouslittleelf: I don't understand. Could you elaborate?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a Mechanical Fairy I painted real quick using the sketch from earlier.

Sketch book
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...93#post2949493
    Portfolio
    http://julianrivera.daportfolio.com/

"The only thing I know is that I know nothing" - Socrates

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some sketches of Olivia Wilde so nice I drew her twice

Sketch book
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Old Man Gato

Little cat guy from my earlier sketches. I'm gonna color a few more of those because I actually did not plan on uploading those sketches like that but you never know when a sketch book is gonna start up.

Sketch book
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are definitely getting better at coloring. I want to make one suggestion though and it's just my personal preference so it's your choice. Often times gradient back drops come off as making your work more amateur than it actually is because it dosen't show much effort so instead of adding to the piece it detracts because it looks like you put thought into the background but not enough to do anything with it. I dont mean to come off as rude or even to sound like I know best I just feel like thats how things work out allot.
    Also a perfectly chosen solid BG can actually benefit the piece allot.

Great work, and I hope I don't sound like an ass

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Medusoid: Thanks, I really want to get better at coloring. I've always felt comfortable with my sketching and people tell me that my line work is good so I'm really focusing on get better at coloring because thats where I screw up. About the gradient. I used to think it was more professional to do a real background too but really its just more time consuming. Most professional concept artists that I've seen don't even put a gradient in the back, they just have a white background. Hell, the metal gear guy doesn't even color his stuff sometimes. The purpose of the gradient is to help me when I'm coloring because a white background can screw you up. I just leave it because I think it looks better than nothing. Granted, it would probably look more professional to have white instead and when I'm looking at concept art I do prefer when they have some nice little background made but I rarely see character concepts with background (Uncharted is the only one I can think of). Most people I've heard from see it like this: The fact is your employer hired you to draw characters not backgrounds for characters, so if you have time then by all means do a well thought out bg but they don't really care unless they've asked you to do it.

Sketch book
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cap.Rivera: Sorry I think my BG was not understood I just use that allot with friends but I meant using solid color backgrounds that are the right color can work better than gradients.
    For example using a color that is not present in you drawing bit is still is in that palette scheme.
    I don't often do this myself because I don't bother to make palettes, however you seem to be further along skill wise than me so I figure you would be willing to do it.

Hope this at least can help you out somewhere down the road and again thanks for not taking me the wrong way like I'm taking down to anyone

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meedusoid: That's my bad. I didn't see that last sentence. I get what you mean now. Sounds like good advice.

Sketch book
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gerudo Sandstorm

I worked on this during the Christmas season just for fun. As always critiques and what not are welcome and so on...

Not sure if this is allowed but I hate the restraints here so here's a bigger version here if you'd like a better look.
    http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...ro-d361lpb.jpg

Last edited by Cap.Riviera; December 30th, 2010 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Picture too small
    Sketch book
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm not slacking(I promise)

It's been way too long since I've updated but that doesn't mean I've been slacking. I've just been way too busy to post online. Even this is just a quick post of a single picture but I'm really happy with it.

Basically I wanted to draw a futuristic soldier that was old school in the sense that the armor would be completely impractical, but would also have traits from more modern sci-fi stuff because to be honest, everyone does that realistic vision of the future stuff and it all just looks the same now and nothing stands out anymore. I also miss the Jetsons era when anything could happen in the future and people didn't base anything on reality. It was always "what would look cool?" or "what would make me mega happy if it existed?". People are too cynical now.

Sketch book
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been too long. I really gonna try to update more often

Sketch book
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I kove the idea behind this one, it feels so warm and nice.
    Their is something about paintings done in painter by people who are still in the learning process that seems to be unavoidable but is their none the less. Everything looks fuzzy and soft. Like rocks are def not fuzzy, and DUDE please dont take this like I'm insulting you directly! this is just something that like I said occurs with everyone that is still learning painter. I have never used it myself so I couldn't tell you what to fix(sorry )
    Some things work perfectly though, like those earth debris in the distance should be blurry and the sun I suppose and you got those stars without a doubt(they are so beautiful man) But you should try to define your edges more I guess.

Sorry that I can provide all these new issues and none of the answers
    I'll try to re-route the small amount of traffic I get over here for you but I'm not promising anything.

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Thanked 2,609 Times in 1,978 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hiya man, Medusoid kindly asked me to drop by, so i guess ill try and offer my 2 cents in here. first off, you have some really nice traditional sketches going on, im liking the character designs alot. cool stuff! making the jump into digital from there can be kind of overwhelming, but just try and treat it as you would one of your traditional drawings, you cant rush it. even the best concept art paintings, that seem to be almost rushed because there so alive with movement take a long time, and every detail was taken into account. this is how you have to approach coloring your work. but before you attempt some grand painting of an industrialised waste planet, you need to know how color works. the best way to learn this, is by painting from whats around you. set up still lifes, and paint them while they are right in front of you. try painting all types of things, action figures, fruit, jackets, and try to paint different materials and textures, without relying on texture brushes at first. these are the foundations of real concept art. you simply cant just focus on characters, thats not realistic. if your working for a company, and your art director sais to you, i need you to begin working on some entrances for this level map, and you say to him, "well, i really dont design environments." hell laugh at you, then probably fire you. you have to learn how to paint everything. i know this all sounds a bit daunting, but trust me, once you get good at the basics, like brush control, learning to distinguish edges, working on your values (balancing lights and darks), and your other fundamentals, youll begin to learn alot quicker. so i would suggest you start to set up some things around your work area, and try painting them from life. also, painting from photographs, or paused movie screens helps alot too. so practise your studies, but also continue to draw things from your imagination, that way youll be developing both your memory (imagination), and your technical skill (talent). i hope this helps you at all, and keep it mind you dont have to become a master overnight, but the more you study, and paint, the greater your rate of improvement will be. looking forward to see your progress!
    -Nick

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Medusoid: I actually draw in photoshop but the confusion is understandable. I have trouble distinguishing them too. I made that picture kinda fuzzy because I wanted it to look like a children's book illustration but maybe it just looks blurry, I hear ya. Also you worry too much. I started this sketchbook because I wanted to be critiqued and I understand that that means being told that I need to improve on certain things. If you think somethings bad just tell me I appreciate the honesty and time you're taking to help.

NickyBeats: I have done all those things you said in school. I don't draw that stuff now because I find it boring but I agree that I need to draw more environments and architectural stuff. I use special brushes because I have drawn textures without them and its tedious and slow. Texture brushes speed up the process immensely and I feel that you should take advantage of every tool available to you unless you have a good reason not to. You're right that I need to learn more about color though. I usually just pick random colors I like without really considering their relationship with one another outside of "does it look ok to me?". Thanks for the advice and I hope you'll visit again to critique me some more.

I made this quick drawing just so you don't think I'm just brushing you off or acting proud. It's rough but I hope it gets the point across. Its just that I'm really comfortable in photoshop and my decisions as far as something as basic as using a hard brush or a soft brush are made very intentionally and it might not seem that way because I like to experiment with different styles and techniques but I know how to use the different brushes. I've taken quite a few classes on photoshop and have been toying with it since high school.

Sketch book
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 2,609 Times in 1,978 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    thats good, but to get better you have to keep doing those boring studies. i know they suck to do, but youll improve your 1)observation 2)ability to determine specific colors right away 3)and your edge control.

the can looks good, but you probably should have also painted what it was sitting on, because usually that bounced light from the surface will end up on the can as well, and vice versa, the red of the can will reflect onto the surface of the counter or whatever it was on. doing these IS boring. im not gonna lie. but the more you do them, the more youll improve, then youll be able to critique your own work more honestly.

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I figured out what the problem I'm seeing is. The layers look off, it must be the transition or something because it seems like your layers are "hovering"(i guess thats a good description for it but I'm bad with that sorta thing) over top of the ones under it.
    You said your using PS so does that mean ur layering too. That may be whats causing it and unfortunately it might mean that the style your using just won't work with layering or at least the way your using it. Another thing just occurred to me, your using those funky brush settings arent you, maybe Some people have the crazy abiltiy to figure those out but personally they just add this really unatural look to things.

So I guess to summarize try to look into your layer transitions and how much your letting the computer do automatically for you cause the more time you put into those pain in the ass textures the more real it will probly look. Keep up the great work man and your stuff is getting better with each post so don't you dare get discouraged

@NickyBeats: Thanks man I am actually kinda surprised you take me seriously enough to bother with anything I say. So thanks man that means allot

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the comment on my sketchbook! From the looks of it, you are having troubles getting those crisp lines, I shared a similar problem just a few weeks ago until I discovered that the pen tool in photoshop is actually my friend! Seriously though you can make new layers, create a nice area that will be your object's silhouette with the pen, right click, make selection fill with a gradient or solid then "lock" the transparent pixels of that layer to pererve the shape and paint within. Its a great method to keeping your silhouettes the way you want them. ANother thing i see is that you are using black for your shadows. Shadows are almost never black. Grab a color wheel and play with compliments and split compliments etc etc. In fact, go and actually buy a cheap set of acrylics and just practice painting light and shadow with color (no blacks and no whites) and you will start getting it. Hope this helps dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sprogis7: Thanks for the advice man. I've actually never thought of using the pen tool for that. Although I usually don't try for those crisp lines because I want it to look more painterly than graphic. I've tried using colored shadows before but it never looked right to me. I've got a lot on my plate right now but I'll give it another shot next time I can get some personal work done.

Sketch book
    Portfolio

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.