Sketchbook: Sara's Sketchbook

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sara's Sketchbook

I'm trying to improve, and the best way is to draw, draw, and draw. So here's where all the attempts are going. Attempt number one!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey sara,great start! how long have you been drawing for? i'll keep an eye on your sketchbook so you'd better keep posting missy *crosses arms*

Will

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Sara, good start. Tells us a little about yourself. What are some of your art related goals?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh geez! I forgot about this shortly after I started, whoops! Time to get serious. If I don't, I'm gonna kick myself in the butt.

Hmm, some of my art related goals. I had goals, at one point until I started college and realized I'm not anywhere near where I need to be to reach them. I'm 18 and obviously not very disciplined. My goal right now is to simply get better. I want to be able to draw the human form without reference more often then not.

Today's sketches, the top I drew without reference, the bottom is me just getting the feel of hip and spine placement with frames. Ignore the hands.:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the best way to improve is to think about what you're doing and understand what you're making. actually drawing it is the easy part! so i don't agree with the 'draw, draw, draw' philosophy. you can draw for all time and never improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Working in between studying

Slowly getting along. The beginning of this semester is a tad confusing, and I still don't have a car so I have to sort of go with the flow and rely on other people, which seems to have me always out and about. Finding good drawing time is difficult, but I got it tonight. I need to start just drawing in public, but having people stand over me is awkward. It's also awkward when someone realizes you're drawing them...

Anyways, quick sketches, as this IS a sketchbook. Working with pulling out highlights from charcoal in the first one, which is hard on newsprint. A visit to posemaniacs in the second sketch. It would be much more convenient if I had a personal model. Any suggestions on improving, anyone? All opinions welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Nonplussed View Post
    the best way to improve is to think about what you're doing and understand what you're making. actually drawing it is the easy part! so i don't agree with the 'draw, draw, draw' philosophy. you can draw for all time and never improve.

/second this post!
    I had goals, at one point until I started college and realized I'm not anywhere near where I need to be to reach them. I'm 18 and obviously not very disciplined.
    I never had an art class until I was 20. I was terrible!! My school only accepted me because my essay was really convincing and during my interview they thought I was "Suborn enough to make it" There were guys in my class 30+ years old (one was 65!) So never feel like your too late to jump in the game- you just have to be extra super stubborn.

On to the advice:
    Drawing frames for characters is not productive if you don't know what your trying to draw. Spend some time drawing skeletons, look at the bones- what shape are they, how do they relate to one another.
    Look at some life drawing books - bridgeman's my favorite because he uses very simple blocky shapes to describe forms.

Draw simple forms in perspective- cubes, cylinders, spheres, cones. - It's boring but do it. Then when you think you've gotten the hang of it - do more. Add lights, add shapes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot Rhubix! I'll try to study it and look at it that way a bit more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's very good advice to study simpler shapes, not only for perspective study but also because these shapes can be applied to the human body. Get yourself a Vilppu book as well, it's very handy for studying anatomy and some excellent strategies to approach sketching it :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I did draw today, but it was much too big to scan and my camera phone made it lopsided, so my only work of today isn't getting uploaded. It was a two hour life drawing of some lilies in my living room on 18 by 24 newsprint (I LOVE CHEAP NEWSPRINT FOR SKETCHING!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

:]

Quick sketch of the day! I was playing around with charcoal that I had just bought while waiting for my boyfriend to pick me up from the campus I attend. I didn't want to try shading it because I didn't have an eraser with me so I just made it using darks. I have alot to learn about darks and lights. Soon I want to take a black piece of paper and create an image just using white for the lighting on it.

It's a tree, if you can't tell...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    School work has consumed my life, but here's an eraser drawing a did a few days ago. I've also worked on some big stuff, like 18x 24 newsprint pads, but they're too big to upload. I've also gotten a new tablet, so I may start digital painting soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.