C.O.W. #198. Revoltingly Expensive. Voting! (single vote)

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: vote for your favorite "revoltingly expensive" beasty

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • FilRam

1 1.89%
  • JeremyColwell

0 0%
  • mobius-9

8 15.09%
  • JanJager

8 15.09%
  • polawat

9 16.98%
  • Xeinnex

0 0%
  • skullbeast

2 3.77%
  • (lark

21 39.62%
  • SailorMooninite

4 7.55%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #198. Revoltingly Expensive. Voting! (single vote)

ROUND #198 VOTING

Topic: Revoltingly Expensive

Deadline for the voting: 1 week

remember to show some love, thank the people who's entries you liked but couldn't vote for. also if you've got the time, add some crits.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by (lark; December 16th, 2010 at 01:13 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: FilRam

Concept: Deep marsh crab
    This crab is known to produce a giant pearl, he can be very protective because the pearl is his egg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FilRam For This Useful Post:

Lav

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Jeremy Colwell

Concept: Rev.Exp.4
    This revolting little critter wanders the paths between stony cliff side caves. Inside his exposed ribcage lies a orb that emits renewable high power energy. Sadly, this power source also causes his vision to fail, skin to flake, and fibrous sensors in its mouth and feet to bleed continuously.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: mobius-9

Concept: Land whale
    Once a graceful beast of the ocean, the land whale has become a sickening reminder of what it once was. The thing that makes this mass of blubber valuable is it's mammary glands. Isolated villages in the arctic rely on a supply of nutrient rich, fatty milk from the whale, making it an extremely valuable resource necessary for survival and an extremely expensive commodity.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mobius-9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: JanJager

Concept: Ostreidae Giganticus Revoltingus
    Just one pearl from Ostreidae Giganticus Revoltingus is worth a fortune.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: polawat

Concept: Gold Pock
    This ugly creature has lots of pocks all over its body, each pock contain gold pus that can use as "magical drug"
    Although this drug can make user feel extreamly happy, but often cause agressive mental disorder symthom. So it is illegal in many countries and can only purchase from black market at really high price.

Name:  Gold_Pock_revoltingly expensive_cow_upload.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  497.4 KB

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to polawat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is the first CoW i try where i make it to the finals , i hope i get some ciritiques.

the idea is that this creature has a golden ball inside, that golden ball grows when humans lick this creature, and you cant remove the ball until its big enough and the creature gives it to you as some kind of love proof, but if you try to remove it by force without licking it, it will destroy it with some acid liquid, so you have to lick it all the time ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: skullbeast

Concept: gooble
    The gooble has developed 80,000 karat diamonds as feet. Super fast and aggressive the try to mate with anything alive.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skullbeast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: (lark

Concept: golden spined ewwth
    This grotesquely unfortunate species has the distinction of being incredibly unattractive. they have this distinction because most of their bodily organs are on the outside of its body, leaving very little protection from the elements and predators.

Its population is dying down because poachers seek them out for the golden protective casing it forms around its spine. The way it forms this casing is by eating the microscopic gold fragments they find in the caves they dwell in. Its body then redirects the gold to form deposits on its spine for protection. The only other protection it has is a highly poisonous viscous slime it releases that fends off predators who can usually smell the death that it promises.

Even though poachers hunt these creatures for their gold, the real value of this species lies in the slime it produces. while it is deadly to most animals, It is easily digestible to humans, and in fact has fantastic biological effects that actually extend human life. because of this they have a secret name given to them by those who are aware of their life giving slime... "the fountain of ewwth"

Name:  revolting expensive final.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  222.5 KB

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Sailormooninite

Concept: The Healer

To me, multilegged creatures are the most revolting pests. However, this multi-legged creature has a great power. It is attracted to wounds. It uses its many legs to grab hold of the wound. It then secretes a green ooze that has fast healing powers for very severe wounds. It also can use it's sucker mouth to eat through abnormal growths and cancers. After healing, the creature unlatches it's suture legs and is ready to be used again. Very little scarring!

Last edited by SailorMooninite; December 16th, 2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: error in name submission
    I know that I can...now I must DO

It's all about confidence. Just keep at it and you will prevail!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SailorMooninite For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for (lark. superb work my fiend! I just love the lighting! ...and the juice on the floor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for polawat. Man that thing is nasty! Good flesh tone and some of the textures are really sickening. Well done!

(lark almost got my vote. Well rendered and great concept description.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went (lark. Beautifully rendered and great concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for JanJager, i think its the one that i wouldnt like to find ever in my life, its just too disgusting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if this is the best place for this, but here it goes: Before anyone gets to crits, I wanted to put out a general thank you on this forum. This last week I was completely swamped and all I wanted to do was to get back to my tablet and draw for this! I managed to get only a few hours in, and I know my work shows that. I thought about not submitting anything, because I was busy/tired, etc, but I figured trying to pull something out in a short time was better than just giving up. So, thank you everyone for continuing to post amazing and inspirational work. I am going to keep at it, and maybe one of these weeks it will "click"! In the meantime I am learning a ton from all of you, and I can't tell you how much I value this activity and Concept Art.org as a whole.

That said, don't hesitate to rip my image apart in crits, just cuz I didn't spend much time on it doesn't mean it shouldn't be critiqued equally. I am hoping some day to be able to actually produce a decent image in a few hours. So I guess does anyone have any "speed painting" tips? What do you focus on when you are "under the gun"?

Last edited by SailorMooninite; December 16th, 2010 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Crits for the week:

FilRam - The lighting and rendering of the metallic surfaces on your creature are improved from your previous pieces. I’m not getting an extreme sense of the grotesque from your piece. With certain areas of rendering like right on the front area of it’s carapace, the brush strokes are too many with too small a brush. Dialing up your brush size just a bit there would have given a better impression of the surface.
    Jeremy Colwell - There is a definite sense of the grotesque and it’s an interesting concept, but elements of the execution aren’t quite there. The profuse bleeding looks a bit too much like fibres and not really like liquid. The luminous area doesn’t actually emanate enough luminosity to really give the impression that there is a light source within, which could be just a case of hinting more at the forms within the back cavity than you are at the moment. The background should fade out a bit more to give a better sense of depth. Conceptually and even from a design perspective, your creature is grotesque and valuable, but the attention to light, form and space could use a bit more work.
    mobius-9 - You’ve done a great job with this creature for the most part. Most of the rendering and lighting is pretty damn solid and I like the most of the textures you’ve put in. The only texture overlay that really doesn’t work for me is the cracked textures on the udder/testacles, which doesn’t seem to work at all with the forms present on them. If the texture was worked back into more, I think I wouldn’t have a problem with it, but at the moment it’s just too obviously added near the end. Great sense of scale and it’s definitely true to the brief.
    JanJager - Your creature itself is fantastic in design and rendering, even if it gets a little bit busy in areas on the face. What’s a shame is that the atmosphere doesn’t work for me that well. I get the sense that it’s supposed to be murky and polluted water, but the smooth gradient and the overly clear background figures suggest against it being murky water. Think about the gassy way that sand roils around in murky water. I also feel like the lighting could have been pushed with the background to further this. I feel like if a bit more attention was put into really establishing the murkiness of the water, it would be incredible in its atmosphere.
    polawat - It’s gross, it’s phallic, it’s pussy and it looks like it would walk around in the wobbliest roundabout shamble possible. Tweaking forms and pushing the textures a little bit this would be incredible. The eyes on the chest were a point of weakness for me. I loved the style and the design, though, I voted for it without too much hesitation. It was between you and (lark, but I liked this one’s design more.
    Xeinnex - I like the sinewy textures, they give the impression that your creature is missing it’s skin. The neck right now doesn’t really suggest that the head is turning, but head’s position says otherwise which makes it’s head and neck structure look really awkward. The head and neck, though, are the place where the lighting and forms are strongest. The strange presence of an outline on the pimple that is it’s back looks a little strange and thhe lighting really doesn’t give us the same sense of form we get on the head. The legs, as well, look more like an afterthought when compared to the rest of the creature. Never ignore the legs, they are your creature’s method of locomotion, they’re very important and they should really fit into the creature’s overall design. They should feel more unified, more importantly they can function as miniature focal points and will help the eye flow from part to part of the creature.
    skullbeast - Really, this is one of my favorite pieces I’ve seen you produce. It’s so gross looking and the concept works really well. You’ve really focused on the right parts, giving the other elements only the attention they needed. The eye was a great touch, and moves nicely away from the standard angry creature eye you had before. The penis was an excellent touch in particular. From a technical standpoint I have a couple of crits: on the side of lighting I think the green miasma could have been pushed to have lighting tones in the middle to really give them a sense of luminosity. The diamonds could have been more reflective and angular, I think. Diamonds reflect like a prism, where they refract coloured light, which could have been hinted at a tiny bit on the light they refracted onto the creature. Finally, I think the mouth could have use a bit more attention to lighting, and could have avoided going from lit to black.
    (lark - Amazing rendering and very reminiscent of classic D&D monsters like the Grell. I love the sliminess on the ground and I can’t say enough good about the lighting. One thing I notice you doing a lot is placing blue light on a lot of your creatures’ backs to help define the form more. I’d love to see this done with a more natural lighting situation, since the source of this mysterious blue light is always unclear. I almost voted for it, but I liked the design of polawat’s creature a bit more.
    SailorMooninite - This was a really clever concept and I was really impressed with the amazing creativity exhibited in coming up with an idea like this. The rendering on the creature, unfortunately, is too busy to fully appreciate it. The amount of white light confuses the eye and makes the whole thing hard to read. Then the underside of the creature’s strokes are a bit too scribbly to really help define it’s form. With some tighter attention to form and lighting, this would have been an incredible piece, as it stands it’s just very clever.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1