Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 896 Posts
    Hullo again, love all the doodlings of faces you've been doing lately. The last post looks great too, though her feet might be a wee bit small (something I do myself.)
    Anyways- you're really making good progress. Keep on pushing the boundaries on what ever you do! YEAH!

- Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,321 Posts
    great studies, i bet they are doing a lot of good, also very nice faces!

Thanks
    Hey there,

In few words, i like it a lot. Its always good to see someone doing imaginative work.

Is that a habit of her to use so much mascara and eye-liners or is it just me seeing things? just kidding. I like her facial expression but you need to bring in fine details or she would only look like shes just opening her mouth rather than screaming. Also, I think she should lean a little more forward/backward while screaming, since it enhances her expression, the power behind it. Her sword arm should be much more developed than the other arm and should look little more muscular.

Her hand looks little out of position as it doesn't simply show that shes holding it tight. You my want to work on that as well. In addition, the weapon youre going for is a 'Short Sword' right? you may want to consider a 'Long sword' since it usually resembles nobility; most of the knights go for the long sword. Anyways it depends on the character. If shes more like a character who would go for a dexterity based fighting style, short sword would be ideal.

These details maybe overwhelming to you. But if you looking for a masterpiece every little piece counts my friend. Good luck. ll drop by later to see the progress.

Typical Long Sword
    Kiwi says... "Nice try, future boy."
    (source:http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=500800)

Typical Short Sword
    (source:http://www.lawrensnest.com/celtic_reenactment.html)

P.S.
    (source:http://www.asymonte.com/2009/05/bo-s...ama-chameleon/)

About the Kama: Its a simple and a light weapon basically used by peasants and fighters who rely on their dexterity. According to Dungeon and Dragons rules its considered to be an exotic weapon although its light. Usually such fighter will likely to use two kamas(two weapon fighting) since they are very light.

Last edited by devastacio; December 25th, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Check out my friends?
    Lt.Plissken | Ramalooke | ThomasM | shiNIN | kiwigarbage | Kungfoowiz | Bethany K. | Sivonja | equilerex

What man is a man, who does not make the world, better. -Kingdom of Heaven

Thanks
    Hi,

Thanks for the comment.

Your life drawings look nice. I liked the #23.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,800 Times in 2,520 Posts

Devastacio highlighted some good point outs.
    My opinion is that this one looks better than the previous,
    proportions are ok, but the figure's flaw part is that is just
    too stiff. But you will master the fluidness of the poses with
    more pose exercises.
    Overall, good job.
    You should post a pose or two today also, to keep up with the flow.

Sketchbook
    [last update; 9th February 2015]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    DeviantArt
    blog

...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Ive browsed through this book a few times but now I will comment!
    Your lines are really nice, everything you draw is attractive whether its a cup with tape round it or a sleek rabbit spirit.
    I am much less keen on the blockier shading used in the last two drawings. The looser approach was gorgeous, the heavy pencilling is very solid and has less life to it. Maybe try more form-flattering lighting effects.

Thanks
    Your making great progress.
    Start pushing for more dynamic poses by creating the illusion of perceptive though foreshortening techniques. Their also needs to be more thought about how the body reacts to heavy/light objects and how the body language correlates with the character's emotions.

Thanks
    Hi everyone! Did you all get fun presents?

(also, my neighborhood is full of moron dogs. GAH! If there's one thing I can't stand, it's moron dogs. SHUT UP! )

Naidy: Thanks! I think I'll do more. I got more response from them than I thought I would. It's a good exercise when you're like me, and you draw stiffly. And thanks! I shall traverse into the unknown, and push my boundaries! HUZZAH!

Parsakoira: Thank you! They certainly are helping a lot

devastacio: Thanks! And thanks for always giving me insightful crits Hee hee, she does have a lot of eyeliner on, I tried to make it look like it was running, because she's supposed to be holding back her tears in the heat of battle, but I think it just looks silly! She's real stiff...As you say. And the balance of weight and the sense of grasping is still not there! Time for some studies. But the longsword thing...that's a pretty long sword! I mean, it's the same length as her torso. A short sword is generally the length of one's forearm. But, the broad area on the sword is probably making it look shorter, if I made it thin, it would look longer. Not overwhelming, very welcome! I enjoy critique, it's great to see what works and what does not. Keep it coming! And I'll do my best to keep it coming too. And thanks a bunch for those reference pics. Very helpful. Kamas are pretty cool too!

k2mountain: Thank you! I will try to include more in the future.

LtPlissken Oh goodness. Ever the stiffness! It's tough to keep my figures fluid when I try to make them correctly proportioned. I will continue to push my comfort zone.

larchist: Thank you for taking the time to comment here I see what you mean about the blocky-ness. I've been trying to develop a quick way of laying down tone. And I think instead of looking swift and effortless, it's bringing my work into an even more stiff sensitivity. I'll break away from this; it's obviously not successful!

TacoMeat: Thank you so much! I agree, I think I will do some exercises in which figures are lifting heavy objects or throwing things. It seems stiffness is the buzzword from these recent posts. Thanks again.

This is a Rubens study of one of his famous buxom ladies, and another confounded cup study. The Master Study is neither complete, nor accurate, but I learned why I love his work so much. I really believe in his figures, the expressions are so sincere, and the sense of skin is absolutely tactile. The cup study....still on its way. I think there's improvement?

Attached Images Attached Images    
    SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

Thanks
    i like the studies that you've done, I think maybe you should have a look or use some references for your costumes and fabrics so you can dress your figures in as much style as you draw them.

... i should probably also take my own advice.
    ta

Thanks
    Nice one Kiwi u doing it better and better from post to post ,

Thanks
    Beautiful studies and sketches. I look forward to seeing more

Thanks
    @up
    me to I don't have many suggestions for you, I can see that you know what to do, and you are doing it, so keep it up! when i'll come up with any tips i'll let you know, cheers

Thanks
    Ammo: Thanks! I took your advice, and sketched some of the recent styles from Elle. I’m hoping that doing more of these will start to give me a better instinct for what silhouettes look great.

Sivonja: Thank you! I hope I continue to improve

Dana T: Thanks!

Ramalooke: Thanks, though I'm sure that there's something I can be doing better I look forward to your suggestions in the future!

So I worked on a lot of the things that were suggested, and a couple of other things I knew I needed to learn.

These are some fashion studies from Elle Magazine in orange ink applied with a brush, then details pulled out with a dip pen in black, a failed attempt at MJB turned into an ink tonal study, and gestures pulled from the results pages on google. I find that drawing from photo thumbnails rather than the full size forces you to disregard the details, allowing you to be more loose. It was good practice, and I really got some valuable visual literacy from this exercise.

Enjoy!

Attached Images Attached Images                    
    SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.