Sketchbook: Kiwi says... "Nice try, future boy." - Page 4
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Kiwi says... "Nice try, future boy."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ammo: Thanks! I took your advice, and sketched some of the recent styles from Elle. Im hoping that doing more of these will start to give me a better instinct for what silhouettes look great.

Sivonja: Thank you! I hope I continue to improve

Dana T: Thanks!

Ramalooke: Thanks, though I'm sure that there's something I can be doing better I look forward to your suggestions in the future!

So I worked on a lot of the things that were suggested, and a couple of other things I knew I needed to learn.

These are some fashion studies from Elle Magazine in orange ink applied with a brush, then details pulled out with a dip pen in black, a failed attempt at MJB turned into an ink tonal study, and gestures pulled from the results pages on google. I find that drawing from photo thumbnails rather than the full size forces you to disregard the details, allowing you to be more loose. It was good practice, and I really got some valuable visual literacy from this exercise.

Enjoy!

Attached Images Attached Images                    
    SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Latest gesture drawing are looking fantastic Kiwi! Can I ask where you're references are from? Need to do some serious figure studies in the morn'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kiwi, Your latest figures have some good movement. The lines appear very confident and seem to have a nice flow to them. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the orange in the fashion studies!
    On the portrait with crosshatching, leave some white space to really balance it out or for highlights, because right now it just looks too dark.

Last edited by skMOP; December 28th, 2010 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kiwigarbage

yeah, there are always things that can be done better. but in that case it's the matter of developing your skilss. I look forward to see your progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your lines have lot of melody in them =), your latest figure are so playfull, I like it a lot. Reminds me on how stiff I draw.

I can do so little in so much time!

.)~ Sketchbook ~(o | Deviantart | Pixiv | dreamanime.de

You feel frustrated and don't know where to turn this frustration on? No problem here is your salvation!
    Just critique me in my critique thread and let it all out, please *bow*!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

OHhhh Fffffff....

Fail.

Oh man it's been frustrating these past few drawing sessions. I seriously need some good crits.

jNeumann: Thanks so much, like I said in the post, they're just from the first results page on google by typing stuff like "lifting" or "running", and picking out the best photos to draw from the thumbnails. Have fun!

TacoMeat: Thanks! I'll do my best.

skMOP: Thanks! I think there is something to that orange. And thanks for the crit, I'll have to retry that photo, I got the angles all effed up, so I got frustrated and rushed through it It shows! Eck.

Ramalooke: I look forward to progress too!

Klaus Reinbach III: Thanks! I did these because all of the crits I was getting were "stiff!" So I hope they translate to my imagination inspired works too

Here's a pile of shitty sketches. I tried to use the gesture approach from the previous group with these faces, and they just ended up looking wrong. There's a lot more subtlety required with a face than a dynamic pose, that's for sure. But I'm pretty positive when I can figure out a swift and accurate way to gesture faces, my work will totally explode. Anyway, here they are.

Colored pencil and staedtler technical pen.

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook! The gesture sketches up there look pretty good. Just keep going!

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like what I see here, if I can make a crit is that you have to look at proportion with the head and its relationship with the body more. - Anyways keep on doing life drawings and/or anatomy studies! Can't wait to see some more!

NVM I lied about my last crit, just keep on doing what you're doing

Last edited by My57; December 29th, 2010 at 07:37 PM.
    My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there,

Well, gesture drawing a figure is coll but i really dont think its a good choice unless you have loads of experience in drawing heads. Still, laying down proper proportions is one of the key factors to drawing a nice face. This is very crucial when drawing female faces because a little unbalanced curved or a wrong placement could make your 'Princess' a 'Harpy'. Ive been drawing heads for past few days and i was freehanding the construction which was a bad idea. When i took a little time to measure out and do the construction of the head, i ended up doing a decent one.

also try drawing some long curves because some of your lines are scribbly and too sharp. This doesn't work well when you draw female faces as they end up being rigid.

Well this means you have more wok to do eh? so chop-chop :p

My Sketchbook

Check out my friends?
    Lt.Plissken | Ramalooke | ThomasM | shiNIN | kiwigarbage | Kungfoowiz | Bethany K. | Sivonja | equilerex

What man is a man, who does not make the world, better. -Kingdom of Heaven

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketchibo: Thanks I'll do that

My57: ...wait are you teasing me? Haha, I'm confused

devastacio: Thanks for the advice I've actually been drawing heads for years and years...but I'm having to retrain my eye and learn to draw faster. I'm trying to figure out how to see something correctly the first time, without relying on measurement! Probably impossible, but I can practice And you're right, maybe some more graceful lines for the ladies Off to crack that whip! Thanks for the support again dude, it's really appreciated

*deep breath* anyway....Here's a set from a life drawing session I had with a couple of friends. They make me look like a complete amateur eh? Of course, they weren't exactly sitting still for me to catch their faces perfectly, but that's why I'm doing these swift sketch exercises, right? Just gotta work through the pain.

If you feel compelled to see a broader example of my work, you can check out my deviantart page. Though after hacking away at it for the past few weeks, I feel morbidly inadequate.

These are all in vine charcoal.

2min gesture sketches
    5 min portrait sketches

Enjoy!

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"Wanna toke?"

And a little something to stir the pot (har har).

What can I say? I like sex and drugs

I challenge myself to do something from imagination other than a basic standing pose, and this is what happens.

Mechanical pencil.

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah, those last two posts look bloody great. Also like how soft/fleshy the last picture is. (Oh god, sounds so wrong ;A But you know what I mean right? It's so easy to draw someone and make them look angular/flat. Also, the feet look well sized in it too, improvements already!

Anyways, keep up the good work mate, you've been coming up with some great stuff lately.

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your life drawings are well done! Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice sketchbook!
    I like the faces in post #69 a lot, and also the horse studies in this page.
    Thanks for sharing...

My Sketchbook HERE
    My Blog HERE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love your style kiwi...it strikes me as something that walked out of a victorian novel :3..the bunny muse was pretty sweet,but my preference falls on your female characters in general,they're always always ALWAYS retro,cute and seemingly part of something more.

Keep leaking your personality on the page and ill keep following your progress.

Show me something new :3

OH AND LETS BE FRIENDS.

Will

Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice sketches on 102 i love them ...but your work on 103(from imaginary) is strange , i am not good artist to leave critic on anathomy and human perspective , but i think that something goes wrong with shes head and shoulders ,maybe u mistake with perspective or just head need to be better connected with body, fell free to correct me if i am wrong

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like looking at your sketchbook
    Please keep updating frequently!

Aila is offline More Imagination than Skill Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there!
    I've enjoyed browsing your sketchbook, I particularly like the recent sketches on the old paper. Also the ones with white conte (or pastel or something) on toned paper, have been wanting to try that myself for a while now. The cups drawings are getting better Nice idea with the duct tape! For perspective studies I liked drawing little boxes with the lines and vanishing points as you will no doubt have seen around here. Then you can put round shapes inside them.
    I also liked the sketch you did inspired by Dracula - though has been pointed out, the anatomy isn't realistic but I rather liked it as it is, a more stylized illustration. On a whole it worked for me.
    The rabbit muse is cute. XD
    Keep on going, I'll drop by now and again and follow your work

Insanity is the key!
    Also, studies are a key. And passion is a key. Also, so are inspiration, motivation and dedication. Talent can be a key. Insomnia can also be a key, depression is a sad rusty little key. Damn, artists need one hell of a keyring.

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good, particularly enjoy your rendered portrait sketches, very well done. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    alot of updates good to see im diggin those fashion studies
    keep it up and keep having fun
    -Jamie

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 2,424 Posts
    Follows
    Following

We better summon some water elementals,
    cause some serious fire is starting to flame in this
    sketchbook. You are turning the heat on with these latest
    cool gesture and portrait sketches. You just simply feel
    the flow, way to go!
    The mechanical pencil girl is looking real sexy and you
    solved her lines on a real smart and attractive way.
    You are becoming one of my idols.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nope no tease, just to much of a rush to delete my crit.

I thought that the heads may have been to big but that's not really an issue - Just keep doing studies and such.

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These last few sets of sketches are very nice, you've shaded the portraits of the women beautifully

art is never finished, only abandoned~Leonardo da Vinci

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great post. You foreshortened the right leg quite nicely. The hand is quite hard to read and the tilt of the head looks a bit awkward to me. But a good drawing overall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy cow! Look at these comments! You guys are amazing...I'll reply to you all

This will be my last post for several days, goin on a camping trip over New Year's. I'm so excited! It's been too long since I've had time in nature.

Naidy: Gosh thanks so much! I wouldn't have been aware of the feet without your help

ranunkel: Thank you, I'll do my best *salute*

insanelight: You're welcome, and thank you for looking!

FootstepsBeckon: Wow a victorian novel huh? That's a lovely complement! I always wish that I'd been born in such an ornately ridiculous time I will keep leaking my personality, as much as I can spare. WE ARE NOW FRIENDS!

Sivonja: OMG you are so right. Her head is way out of place. I think it's the ponytail that's really wonkin' it up. Thanks for noticing

vices: thanks I'll do my best!

Aila: Thanks for checking out my sketchbook! That's awesome of you i'll try out the cube perspective technique when I get a chance, thanks for suggesting it

cgaddict: Thank ye kindly! I'll do more in the future.

OmertA: Fashion studies were fun!

LtPlissken: Aw Plissken, your comments mean the world to me, really they do! Thank you so much I hope to keep impressing!

My57: Okay! I will pursue my studies as I have been

ezekrialase: Whew what a complicated name to type Thank you so much!

TacoMeat: I agree, I think I kind of grazed over the hand, and the head is funky for sure. Thanks for pointing it out!

And here is a rather embarrassing self portrait in a marker that was drying up as I used it. Talk about wonky faces! But, no bad drawing left behind.

Enjoy!

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi kiwi. Thanks for the visits. You have some social skills and your ballpoint sketches are not bad either. (Actually I like them a lot ) The fashion skecthes are pathcy, I have no better word; they are not coherent, they do not form a whole. You can ignore even more detials but keep it together. GJ, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there,

#103 - Spot on mate. now, you did well here to overcome your troubles when concerning drawing some graceful curves. super cool facial expression too.I simply love it. Just keep up the same momentum. btw her knee area is little off. but its not bothering me a lot.

Well Wish you a Happy New Year. Have fun mate.

My Sketchbook

Check out my friends?
    Lt.Plissken | Ramalooke | ThomasM | shiNIN | kiwigarbage | Kungfoowiz | Bethany K. | Sivonja | equilerex

What man is a man, who does not make the world, better. -Kingdom of Heaven

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really loving how you render your faces and your gesture studies! Was enjoying myself just wandering around your sketchbook lol (also learned a few things).

Definitely will be checking up on your progress so I hope you keep up the awesomesauce!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kiwi,

Its good to see you are focusing on the figure in your studies. Your gestures and rendering are improving since the beginning of the sketchbook. I would now start to throw in more anatomy over the different forms. Also, one thing I am now coming to realize is how big of a deal perspective is in a drawing of the figure, especially the head. In the figure drawings of the Renaissance they always took account of horizon lines, vanishing points, and the primary forms of which to base the figure. For instance, Michelangelo and Rubens often used a rectangle in perspective from which to base the upper torso on. By the way I'm glad you like the fleshy women of Rubens. I always thought he had a unique way of depicting them and gave them more humanity, whereas some other artists just put wide hips on their women but gave them male anatomy and breasts.

Great I hope to be a participant in your thread. by the way you have Angelina Jolie's lips in that self portrait.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2