Sketchbook: Kiwi says... "Nice try, future boy." - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Kiwi says... "Nice try, future boy."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa! I’m gone for a few days and my sb creeps to a third page. Thanks everyone!

devastacio: Haha, “self emitting glow”. Yeah, I see what you mean. That image you sent me is lovely. Hamsterfly is one of my favorite digital artists actually.

NickTrip: Thanks so much, and thanks for the complement on my chow idea. I have a tendency to second guess myself, especially if I think I’m not quite there, you know? There were a lot of other great entries to contend with.

Catukas: Then let’s support ourselves each morning with a daily affirmation: “Today, I am AWESOME!” And you are certainly not lame.

MaFeng: Thanks!! I will do that!

The Flying Dutchman: That’s a very helpful suggestion. When I was learning oils, I stuck with tones for a long time before delving into color and that produced a much more successful grasp of light. I’ll pursue this in studies.

LtPlissken: I’m surprised you haven’t seen it! I’m pretty positive that you’ll enjoy it when you get the chance. And thanks, I thought she was pretty HAWT too. Haha.

TacoMeat
    : You know, for a long time I struggled with that, the association of the rabbit to Alice and Wonderland. (The rabbit is an icon that I use in my work to represent my psyche.) And after I thought about it, that association is pretty spot on. So thanks!

Hucumkedi
    : heeeeh …I like your avatar.

Lord M: You are so welcome! Glad you enjoyed my work! I hope that people can flip through and get a smile out of it. Or at least some sort of emotional feeling…haha. And yeah, bunny girl is in mid-hop, but I think that it kind of looks more ethereal than hoppish. Maybe I should draw her legs (haha…art humor) up to her body more, like she’s leaping. I may yet finish her! Or at least revisit her later.

OmertA: More pages you’ll get! And you too. Merry Christmas! Or…Happy Holidays..or…have a happy day…

zou: Thank you! I will include more.

...and a brief arting.

I got a few new materials, and decided to just free-range-chicken my way through some experimentation. I have to say, I'm in love with this brown recycled paper. This is pastel, dip pen, and liquid leaf. I think I'm definitely going to pursue ink drawings on liquid leaf when I figure it out better. But pastel/ink is kind of blech. Enjoy the creepiness!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 2,425 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Long live experiments!

I have a feeling, that your soul has been trapped
    in this last piece, just like Dorian Gray's in his painting.

Try to cut this recycle paper with a sharp razor,
    and tell me did you felt something.

Or try to cut yourself, and take a look at the
    recycle paper, did something changed on it.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man thanks for the comment and merry christmas to you too!

Some really really nice stuff in this sketchbook, the only problem with it is that its not long enough! But thats just a matter of time I'm sure.

Really like your traditional stuff and especially some of your sketches that are in pen (looks a bit like biro?)

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a delightful sketchbook! I'm really impressed. Your drawings are all so full of life. Even the less successful ones have alot of charm to them. There's something good going on here, so whatever it is you're doing, keep on doing it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LtPlissken: Indeed, you're on to me. These unharnessed streams of thought are often more telling to my "inner self" than I want to let on

ThomasM: Thanks so much! I know....this thing is still a baby. I keep wishing that more pages will appear with good art on them, and realizing that the art has to be made before it can appear. It's a lot of work! But it's good for me. My pen work is in Staedtler technicals and dip pen with a spoon nib. Fun stuff!

papageo: Thank you! I will try to keep making things that charm.

And on to embarassment...

There is nothing more humbling or frustrating than attempting to draw something you suck at. But I know too, that the fastest way to improve is to attack it head-on.

If you, like me, have a hard time seeing perspective, this exercise is very helpful. Using tape (preferably electrical tape, not reflective duct tape like I used ) wrap your object in horizontal lines. This creates a visible contour that will help your eye to better understand the form....However, (rather than my moronic approach with a solid cup) this works best with a transparent object that you can see the continuation of the line on the "invisible" side. And for cylindrical objects like this cup, it is a good example of how ellipses recede into space to create a cross through the center at the opening.

Please forgive how crappy these are. They are practice. Off to it!

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwigarbage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey hey, back in business? Thought you abandoned the ship!

Now i should send Mel Gibson here too. Because you didnt finish the 'Muse' yeah?

I like the texture of the paper. Even i want to learn some traditional way to color all the stuff i do. Self learning everything could be overwhelming at times though. hmm Thinking about using colored pencils.

I should try out what you mentioned here and thanks for sharing it.

Well, Just dropped by to say Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Thanks a lot for everything. Im so grateful.

Now drop all the work and get ready to Party up with all the friends here. ( no no not too early :p )

P.S. -about the Mel Gibson thingy; LtPlissken used him to make other people update. This time i used his own medicine on him coz he didnt update for days!. chk his profile. youll see )

My Sketchbook

Check out my friends?
    Lt.Plissken | Ramalooke | ThomasM | shiNIN | kiwigarbage | Kungfoowiz | Bethany K. | Sivonja | equilerex

What man is a man, who does not make the world, better. -Kingdom of Heaven

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kiwi thanks for the tip about the perspective, really good idea and very helpful. I can see why you love brown paper and ink as it looks good as do some of your ellipses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Merry Christmas Eve to all! I hope everyone gets to spend time with family, or at least have some relaxation

devastacio: Hey! I haven't weenied out just yet. I've got too much work to do I checked out your banter with Plissken and I giggled. Though if you were to send Mr. Gibson my way, I'd probably reduce him to a pile of smitten goo with my feminine charms! Send Uma instead. She won't care I'm a girl! I hope you do delve into some traditionals, I think you might be surprised at what you can do Merry Christmas!

Marian Rowling: Thanks! I appreciate that. They definitely need a lot of work though

Arting!

"There is no spoon."

I find that to be an artist is a lot like being Neo in the Matrix. Once you realize that there is no face, or other structure, only waves that are interpreted by your brain, you are able to trust your brain's interpretation, instead of implementing what you think it should look like. So remember, "there is no spoon."

A few more of the cup studies, not quite there yet, but I definitely think I'm starting to understand it better, and a study of a photograph of Wynona Ryder from Elle Magazine (which I hate to lean on because it teaches flat drawing, but what can you do when you don't have anyone to sit for you :/). First one (top left corner) is obviously wrong. I was trying too hard to draw the features of the face instead of the shadows and line. Especially with these confounded high fashion portraits with ridiculous angles, it is important to trust what you see. The second is much more successful, and I was able to establish a decent tonal study too.

First are in woodless pencil, Wynona (the latter) is in woodless 9B, a derwent 6B and a mechanical pencil.

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

You are underestimating the powers of Mel Gibson.

I see that you have been left without any usable
    glasses in the house, cause you have duct taped them all.

(by the way do not google up the 'duct tape',
    cause you gonna find some disturbing pictures)

But, it was worth it, cause your improvements are clearly
    visible.

SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LtPlissken: Hee hee, I have a few left. Gotta have something for eggnog tonight! Thanks for noticing the improvement. As much as this has been a mindscrew, I think it's definitely been beneficial.

See ya!

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Nice sketchbook you have going on here! Your studies are looking great, the last face study you did is amazing! Also, thanks for showing me Miyazaki he's awesome ! Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay. I've gotta take care of my house now. I've been drawing and bebopping around the internets all day.

Lang Oulk: Thanks friend! I hope he was an inspiration to you

Here's something more "conceptey" for you. An Ice Princess inspired by the chilly winter!

Graphite

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there,

last Photo ref drawing of Wynona Ryder is lovely. Texture of the paper is pretty cool eh?

Well about the last piece (#73) - Now this is what im talking about. I would love to see more details. (forgive me im a sucker for details). Nothing to crit about, her face looks pretty and nice foreshortening of the weapon (is that a Kama? I dont think its a scythe coz its too small).

Well im having a great time here with my friends and family here. Just dropped by to check the updates of you guys. Keep up the good work mate.

My Sketchbook

Check out my friends?
    Lt.Plissken | Ramalooke | ThomasM | shiNIN | kiwigarbage | Kungfoowiz | Bethany K. | Sivonja | equilerex

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I am not sure is that a Kama that she holding, but
    it has to be referenced from somewhere. Or is it?
    This is a bit nitpicking but, she ain't holding it right.
    Her body language and movement shows that she is holding
    something very light, something like a small magic wand, but
    the weapon must be at least 30 pounds heavy.
    And look at her left hand grab. Looks like she ain't grabbing
    anything heavy, you could put a cigar instead of the weapon
    in her hand. Uh, just small tips, but every bit you know, will
    help your work to be closer to realistic.
    Merry Christmas.

SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kiwi, when drawing elipses, using cube perspective really helps, for ex:
    http://www.khulsey.com/perspective_e...g15_16_17.jpeg

It's a sketch for mechanical parts, but the Idea of the elipse drawing is shown quite well imo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude,

Thanks for visiting my sketchybook
    Good to see another hard workin person in here
    Keep up the studies, and rly try to master your proportions and anatomy.
    This last figures is quite nice but rly stiff.. if you want to get more dynamic and movement in your figures.
    Do a few gesture studies. they will help you with proportions and character aswell.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for sharing the cylinder tape idea! Keep on woring hard!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MERRY CHRISTMAS! Have fun today!

devastacio: Hi there to you! Thanks so much! I hope that these studies will start to show in my imaginative works. And I'm glad to hear you're hangin' with family I've actually never heard of a Kama, but maybe that's what this is, and I didn't know it! haha.

LtPlissken: Hey! Merry Christmas! Like I said to devastacio before, I don't know what a Kama is, and the weapon is just something that I envisioned an ice princess to use. Kind of a glorified ice pick thing. But you're totally right, the balance of weight is all wrong. I was hoping no one would notice! Glad you called me out on it. I won't run away from the truth now!

Justas: Wow thanks for the link! That really helped me to envision how these things are in space.

RBeek: Thanks for visiting mine I do lots of gestures actually, and it's weird, when I draw from imagination, my figures are still stiff. I guess it's because I'm still not quite confident in the accuracy, so I always pull back on the dynamism for fear they're off. But it's better to push into the discomfort zone! I will do my best to master it.

surus: you're welcome! I hope it's helpful for you And I will.

I took all of your crits into consideration and modified my ice princess. No, I don't have any big plans for her, but it seemed like a good time to work with cc.

"Even as she screamed the battle cry, sending her troops to the fray, she knew this would be her people's final stand."

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hullo again, love all the doodlings of faces you've been doing lately. The last post looks great too, though her feet might be a wee bit small (something I do myself.)
    Anyways- you're really making good progress. Keep on pushing the boundaries on what ever you do! YEAH!

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great studies, i bet they are doing a lot of good, also very nice faces!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there,

In few words, i like it a lot. Its always good to see someone doing imaginative work.

Is that a habit of her to use so much mascara and eye-liners or is it just me seeing things? just kidding. I like her facial expression but you need to bring in fine details or she would only look like shes just opening her mouth rather than screaming. Also, I think she should lean a little more forward/backward while screaming, since it enhances her expression, the power behind it. Her sword arm should be much more developed than the other arm and should look little more muscular.

Her hand looks little out of position as it doesn't simply show that shes holding it tight. You my want to work on that as well. In addition, the weapon youre going for is a 'Short Sword' right? you may want to consider a 'Long sword' since it usually resembles nobility; most of the knights go for the long sword. Anyways it depends on the character. If shes more like a character who would go for a dexterity based fighting style, short sword would be ideal.

These details maybe overwhelming to you. But if you looking for a masterpiece every little piece counts my friend. Good luck. ll drop by later to see the progress.

Typical Long Sword

(source:http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=500800)

Typical Short Sword

(source:http://www.lawrensnest.com/celtic_reenactment.html)

P.S.

(source:http://www.asymonte.com/2009/05/bo-s...ama-chameleon/)

About the Kama: Its a simple and a light weapon basically used by peasants and fighters who rely on their dexterity. According to Dungeon and Dragons rules its considered to be an exotic weapon although its light. Usually such fighter will likely to use two kamas(two weapon fighting) since they are very light.

Last edited by devastacio; December 25th, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Check out my friends?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Thanks for the comment.

Your life drawings look nice. I liked the #23.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Devastacio highlighted some good point outs.
    My opinion is that this one looks better than the previous,
    proportions are ok, but the figure's flaw part is that is just
    too stiff. But you will master the fluidness of the poses with
    more pose exercises.
    Overall, good job.
    You should post a pose or two today also, to keep up with the flow.

SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive browsed through this book a few times but now I will comment!
    Your lines are really nice, everything you draw is attractive whether its a cup with tape round it or a sleek rabbit spirit.
    I am much less keen on the blockier shading used in the last two drawings. The looser approach was gorgeous, the heavy pencilling is very solid and has less life to it. Maybe try more form-flattering lighting effects.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your making great progress.
    Start pushing for more dynamic poses by creating the illusion of perceptive though foreshortening techniques. Their also needs to be more thought about how the body reacts to heavy/light objects and how the body language correlates with the character's emotions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone! Did you all get fun presents?

(also, my neighborhood is full of moron dogs. GAH! If there's one thing I can't stand, it's moron dogs. SHUT UP! )

Naidy: Thanks! I think I'll do more. I got more response from them than I thought I would. It's a good exercise when you're like me, and you draw stiffly. And thanks! I shall traverse into the unknown, and push my boundaries! HUZZAH!

Parsakoira: Thank you! They certainly are helping a lot

devastacio: Thanks! And thanks for always giving me insightful crits Hee hee, she does have a lot of eyeliner on, I tried to make it look like it was running, because she's supposed to be holding back her tears in the heat of battle, but I think it just looks silly! She's real stiff...As you say. And the balance of weight and the sense of grasping is still not there! Time for some studies. But the longsword thing...that's a pretty long sword! I mean, it's the same length as her torso. A short sword is generally the length of one's forearm. But, the broad area on the sword is probably making it look shorter, if I made it thin, it would look longer. Not overwhelming, very welcome! I enjoy critique, it's great to see what works and what does not. Keep it coming! And I'll do my best to keep it coming too. And thanks a bunch for those reference pics. Very helpful. Kamas are pretty cool too!

k2mountain: Thank you! I will try to include more in the future.

LtPlissken Oh goodness. Ever the stiffness! It's tough to keep my figures fluid when I try to make them correctly proportioned. I will continue to push my comfort zone.

larchist: Thank you for taking the time to comment here I see what you mean about the blocky-ness. I've been trying to develop a quick way of laying down tone. And I think instead of looking swift and effortless, it's bringing my work into an even more stiff sensitivity. I'll break away from this; it's obviously not successful!

TacoMeat: Thank you so much! I agree, I think I will do some exercises in which figures are lifting heavy objects or throwing things. It seems stiffness is the buzzword from these recent posts. Thanks again.

This is a Rubens study of one of his famous buxom ladies, and another confounded cup study. The Master Study is neither complete, nor accurate, but I learned why I love his work so much. I really believe in his figures, the expressions are so sincere, and the sense of skin is absolutely tactile. The cup study....still on its way. I think there's improvement?

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the studies that you've done, I think maybe you should have a look or use some references for your costumes and fabrics so you can dress your figures in as much style as you draw them.

... i should probably also take my own advice.
    ta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice one Kiwi u doing it better and better from post to post ,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful studies and sketches. I look forward to seeing more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @up
    me to I don't have many suggestions for you, I can see that you know what to do, and you are doing it, so keep it up! when i'll come up with any tips i'll let you know, cheers

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2