Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Pencil Pushing, a self-help sketchbook

Thanks

Pencil Pushing, a self-help sketchbook

Edit: This part's boring-- skip to the end ;-)

Working hard/hardly working. Another drawer on her journey.
    Last edited by J@n!t; December 20th, 2012 at 02:42 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Sketchbook contents

So far... I've been drawing for about a month and a half, now making it a point to draw every day.

Thanks
    Most of these are just copying other drawings. I'm getting over (maybe I've GOTTEN over) my fear of drawing humans by just putting down what I see and forgetting about what it is.

Thanks

Adventures in Photoshop

I know nothing about color. But the lure of the wacom was too much. I just built a new computer-- painting in Photoshop was killing it, and I was losing my work. The skull was one of my earlier efforts and I had to save it from a screenshot and make a curves adjustment. You can see the outline of my brush where I was starting to apply highlights.

Didn't get to finish the girl with the pearl earring, either. It wasn't until I was that far in that I realized just how bad working with soft-edged brushes can be...

Thanks
    ...and here is the only stuff I have from imagination.

The horse on the hill was an idea for a children's book a friend wants me to illustrate (that was the beginnings of realizing I haven't the skills yet,) and the line horses are for the same friend by request. Drawn in pencil, photographed, and hand-traced in Illustrator.

Thanks
    Got the Posemaniacs random pose app on my iPhone... Not sure what to do with these; for one thing it is kind of soothing (and surprising) to just draw the lines and come out with something okay, I approach it slowly and haven't really had to erase except for the female sitting with the crossed legs- I screwed up the leg in the air big time the first go.

The thing is, the poses themselves are stiff and ridiculous, especially the ones seen from below the subject. I'd like to learn/practice some quick gesture, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Some of my "efforts" can be seen below, alone with my outline drawings. The gestures (read: scribbles) are less than a minute and the outlines are up to 3 minutes.

Any ideas as to how I can use this app better?
    It took me like three hours to finish the shading on your upper lip. It's probably the best drawing I've ever done.

My sketchbook (it'll get good near the end)

Thanks

Today's dump

Some Posemaniacs - working on loosening up and not just following the line.

Got the big Bridgman book today... Only $5 and it looks like it hasn't even been opened, yay! Did a few quick sketches while reading the first chapters.

2 photoshops, one is an attempt to simplify a photo, I know it's pretty rough. The other, Pear on a Fuzzy blanket. I struggled terribly with the blanket, repainted it a few times to make it less offensive. I just couldn't describe the folds and shadows on the thing.

Critiques, help, suggestions would be appreciated
    It took me like three hours to finish the shading on your upper lip. It's probably the best drawing I've ever done.

Thanks
    Nice sketchbook you got here, especially love the colors on those paintings, and for some reason the onion really caught my eye
    Keep it up, looking really good!

Thanks
    Oh wow, I envy your learning curve! After all such thing as talent seems to exist and you have a lot of it and will be arriving at your goals in no time if you go on like this.

Greetings
    Sarah

Thanks
    Stantz: Thank you so much The onion was my favorite as well, and for some reason was also the easiest to paint. I had a terrible, and unsuccessful, time with the oranges.

mosaik: Thank you. I was "talented" in high school, now I am learning in earnest. It took me a long time to realize talent is not enough in itself, it is only a place to start. I think if we were to look amongst accomplished artists, we wouldn't know which ones started with talent and which did not.

Thanks

50 gestures and action study

I noticed the spartan camp threads yesterday and decided to join in. Here are 50 gestures- they are what were spat out of my pencil, I experimented some but don't have much of a plan yet. Using a bit of what I've learned so far and exploring a little.

The other is the drawing for an action pose study. I decided to use a photograph of my horse, Bucket, play-fighting with his friend, Sparky. It was a difficult pose that I would not have been able to draw a few weeks ago. Really made me pay attention to both what I see and what I know is there. I think I will render in conte pencils, but I'm going to read up on technique a little first. They are American Paint Horses, so some of the odd marks on them are their white patches.

Thanks
    nice work! it's a good thing you're starting to think of things in terms of volumes and not 2d-outlines anymore, that last sketch of the horses has some awesome depth to it!

definitely going the right way, keep it up!

Thanks
    Wow you've improved so much since the beginning, I also feel old to alot of the people here, but with determination we can make it. The onion study you did with the limited palette, the colours really popped, love to see more.

Keep it up. Keep inspired.
    -Red

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast