Full sail university
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Full sail university

does anyone know anything about it? Based out of Florida, near Orlando? Game art and dev. is probably their biggest programs?

I want insider stuff though. Is it a good university?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes based out of Florida. Winter Park actually I believe, which for all practical purposes is Orlando.

Generally it's not recommended. It's just as expensive as private art colleges but without as much benefit. They rush through classes very quickly (in my opinion not giving you time to develop, a 4 year college is fast enough...) and hold them at crazy hours. I honestly don't know much about the program, it's all based off of things I've heard. I saw a student's work from the game or animation program while I was in high school and wasn't impressed much at all and didn't look into the school further. I'm from the orlando area, so that's where I heard all this from.

Historically when they were founded (in the 70s I think?) their big program was sound design, or something like that, and from what I gather that's still their highly regarded area. Other than that I haven't heard any noteworthy things about the schools other programs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybeth View Post
    Yes based out of Florida. Winter Park actually I believe, which for all practical purposes is Orlando.

Generally it's not recommended. It's just as expensive as private art colleges but without as much benefit. They rush through classes very quickly (in my opinion not giving you time to develop, a 4 year college is fast enough...) and hold them at crazy hours. I honestly don't know much about the program, it's all based off of things I've heard. I saw a student's work from the game or animation program while I was in high school and wasn't impressed much at all and didn't look into the school further. I'm from the orlando area, so that's where I heard all this from.

Historically when they were founded (in the 70s I think?) their big program was sound design, or something like that, and from what I gather that's still their highly regarded area. Other than that I haven't heard any noteworthy things about the schools other programs.
    I knew that a few grads. worked on red dead redemption and i see all kinda advertisement for it. Do you know of any great art schools in florida?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Art school in florida, Ringling in sarasota, i hear, is a pretty good school. Majoring in an Art degree at major universities like UF is probably also a viable option. But if you're interested in game development, you might want to also look into FIEA graduate program which is a UCF graduate program affiliated and partnered with Electronics arts (the game company). FIEA is a much better option than full sail and both are based in Orlando. However, FIEA is also extremely competitive to get in to and its also a graduate program which means you'll need an accredited undergraduate degree. The degree you'll get at FIEA is also accredited which is an advantage over a full sail degree. Reputation of FIEA graduates and instructors are also much better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lsatwd View Post
    Art school in florida, Ringling in sarasota, i hear, is a pretty good school. Majoring in an Art degree at major universities like UF is probably also a viable option. But if you're interested in game development, you might want to also look into FIEA graduate program which is a UCF graduate program affiliated and partnered with Electronics arts (the game company). FIEA is a much better option than full sail and both are based in Orlando. However, FIEA is also extremely competitive to get in to and its also a graduate program which means you'll need an accredited undergraduate degree. The degree you'll get at FIEA is also accredited which is an advantage over a full sail degree. Reputation of FIEA graduates and instructors are also much better.
    I am actually interested in digital art period, not necessarily game art. Maybe like character design for a company but I want to be creative, like make my own stuff and sell it. Stuff like that. Pretty much just a good art school. I want to learn how to do work digital and traditional, like have a career as an artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Full Sail is not a good option for you then. It is more focused on the technical side rather than the creative side.

Sounds like you want a good illustration program

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aguilas990 View Post
    Full Sail is not a good option for you then. It is more focused on the technical side rather than the creative side.

Sounds like you want a good illustration program
    I did see they had a digital art and design program. Mind recommending me to a good illustration program in florida?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ringling.

Yeah, in Florida Ringling is pretty much the art school. Some other state universities peppered throughout the state may have good programs in certain majors but you'd have to really seek those out if they're even there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ringling.

Yeah, in Florida Ringling is pretty much the art school. Some other state universities peppered throughout the state may have good programs in certain majors but you'd have to really seek those out if they're even there.
    Through some research I found university of central florida. It appears to have a good art major. I cant remember the title but the students work looks pretty good =D. Anyone know anything about that university?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went to UCF this summer and have a lot of friends from high school attending UCF. When I was there I didn't take any art classes and really know very little about their art program. I took a walk through the art building one morning because I really didn't have anything better to do. Some work (presumably left from a class critique, I know not what level) was left up on the wall, and I didn't find it impressive to say the least. I know my mom took art classes there before becoming a teacher, but that was way back in the 80s.

As for the University itself, it is giant. Also, since it is a state school the cost would be far lower than a private school.

Keep looking at real student work - that speaks the most about any school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went to UCF this summer and have a lot of friends from high school attending UCF. When I was there I didn't take any art classes and really know very little about their art program. I took a walk through the art building one morning because I really didn't have anything better to do. Some work (presumably left from a class critique, I know not what level) was left up on the wall, and I didn't find it impressive to say the least. I know my mom took art classes there before becoming a teacher, but that was way back in the 80s.

As for the University itself, it is giant. Also, since it is a state school the cost would be far lower than a private school.

Keep looking at real student work - that speaks the most about any school.
    Depends on the class you saw at UCF. You may have seen drawing 1 students (I think anyone can take this class regardless of major).

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.