what do you know about iceland?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up what do you know about iceland?

weird topic, yes.

i really want to go to iceland for some reason. i must. the more i research, read, listen and see about it, the more i want to visit. i also hear the people there are really interesting somehow .

please post what you know about it, anything. at least you'll learn something.

to start off: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?...tnode_id=79921

thanks!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i know that iceland is like the worlds cleanest country. they have something like 250 000 inhabitants. they are nice people, they together with norwegians were the first to visit america. Their past is full of feuds and stuff pretty much like modern mafia. the capital is reykjavik. their language is similar to the scandinavian languages. ask simmi, he is from there..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't see why we are so interesting. Maybe its all THE HOT WOMEN!!. But if you have any question regarding iceland, ask me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kortez, a member over here, is also from iceland...maybe he can help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    iceland is really warm, it was a trick!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kortez is mostly at the poo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nova i understand you interest about island. i must admit that it is a country that really catched my attention, exactly like canada and the whole scandinavia area. i guess it has to do with the fact that cold weather represents some sort of alternative for a "clean and healthy life". there's an unexplainable idea of relief and pleasure when you wander around these huge snowy lanscapes. pretty mystic, probably.
    it has to do with minimalism too, but let's not get too philosophic.
    in my personnal case, cold weather was really a very attractive aspects that contributed to make me do the move from paris to montreal a few months ago.
    i remember last october, being in front of my desk, asking myself. "okay, i've got three alternatives: scandinavia, iceland, canada". now, in these three areas, where will i easily find a job in the gaming industry?
    ... ended up in montreal.

quote: "i really want to go to iceland for some reason. i must. the more i research, read, listen and see about it, the more i want to visit"
    nova, for some reasons, i feel a real passion in there.
    go for it, i'm sure you will not be decieved.

sparth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sparth ~ thank you, that's really encouraging to hear, from someone that UNDERSTANDS! [hehe] you just about nailed the appearances i've been getting so far. the minimalism, and the lifestyle. that's interesting, that you get to choose where you'd want to live. it sounds like you're a world citizen

it is mystic, the snow. i won't ever forget showshoeing on a silent mountain trail in the cascades, and then getting off the path to lay on the side of a mountain in pure silence. i had to remind myself i was still alive.

hopefully these ideas won't fade in my brain, and will continue to last until i get some funds i talked to a couple europeans and they both suggested i go and check out amsterdam as well. one of them said it would be a waste to just see iceland, despite the 'big deal' of seeing a popular place like france, italy, etc. it made sense and this might even turn out to be a big tour!

simmi ~ hope there are as many hot men as women can i email you at the same address on your website?

endregan ~ that's what i've heard! master trickery.

fozzy ~ i'll see what i can do, thank you

vimmzy ~ thanks! the first to visit america from a scandinavian country?

davi ~ probably. Umusique\cd\Sigur Rós\ has 70 files :rock: . they started me on the iceland thing, for sure. not so sure about bjork though. can you recommend anything?

nova ~ you're crazy

again, thanks.. hopefully i'll be posting my own iceland pictures sometime in the future!

- laura

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can email me nova.(a late reply i know)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was hanging oun and drinking beers with some Icelandic guys just last night.. they are in a band called Singapore Sling.. one of the guys was telling me how he cheated on his wife and the word got around really fast because the comunitiy up there is so small and tight knit..

the way they were talking about the place it sounded like somewhere id like to visit..

-Lono

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there people.. I'm icelandic, with experience of other countrys as well... so following is my opinion:

Iceland, A nice place to visit.. wouldnt want to live there.

Let me clarify

1st topic, women.. Icelandic women arent hotter than in any other european country.. thats basically just a myth that we like to keep alive.. like the myth that all danes are drunk all the time.. or the americans are the dumbest nation in the world... a myth (I've sat in denmark in 30 degree`C, they have some HOT women)

If you dont know the right people from birth here, or arent in the right family then you have zero to none possibility of building up a career here.. I'm sad to say.. we're snobs.. We fed ourselves the illusion that we're the richest nation (comparitively) in the world.. which made us feel important.. we bloody sent two bloody bomt bloody technicians into iraq so we could feel like we were making an effort.. which made us feel important... We are high tech, true.. we have a really high standard of living, true.. but did you know that the majority of icelandic youth still lives with mommy and daddy till the age of 25. That is because jobs pay little compared to the costs of living.. if you arent married or two in a house you can forget about it.

The internet is limited at 1gb download from other countrys... after that it costs an arm and a leg... sure its fast.. but its so tiny....

ok, now onto our nature:

We have no actual forests.. A typical joke would be "If your lost in the woods, stand up"... and that is not a exaggeration. The mountains are great, no complaints there.. the glaciers are GREAT, no complaints there.. but its not really a walk in the park to get to the great places... takes preperation.. jeeps, skiis, hotels, the works.. you cant really go back-packing up there.. too dangerous.. if you dont find those great spots then you'll just be finding the same standard mud-watered rain-soaked lands as you'd find in your own land.. much akin to england..

we're not covered in snow more that greenland is green

But hey.. we have free water and clean air.. A fucking great place to visit, but hell to live here, which is why I'm gettin' me but out.

p.s : I've lived through my life on iceland without knowing the right people nor having great amounts of money.. so I'm pretty bleak towards iceland.. so, no offence.. just my honest to god opinion of this gods cursed snow crusted rock in the middle of the ocean

any questions.. pm me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahahaha....cool
    now i wanna go to iceland too:chug:

"But i dont want to go among mad people" Alice remarked.
    "Oh you can't help that." Said the Cat:"We're all mad here."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Iceland is Odd Nerdrum's muse.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.