ChoW#225 :: Viking Berserker - Page 9

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    @ Aspectabund: Thank you for the nice comment...most certainly am, and here's another update.

@ FridayEve: Just gorgeous... love the cat, too. Can't wait to see this finished!

@ emerging: Love it in so many ways!

@ Jager: Great take on the subject. Something a bit different, yet very fitting.

@ Hellfire: Very Chaos Marauder-esque... love it.

@ GEB: Love the face and the angles. Great work!

@ Dranyer: Glad you went with the first pose (although I really like the head on the second one), just awesome. His right leg does look a tad big compared to everything else, though.

@ Paolo13: Love the character and the style. His head seems quite small, though.

@ Bnoch: Awesome character... very believable, yet badass.

Everyone else, great work... and they just keep pouring in.

Here's my latest WIP. Still a lot to do on it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Art of Schwager
    Blog - theartofschwager.blogspot.com/
    Website - www.solitudo.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to schwager For This Useful Post:

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Great stuff everyone. looks like this is where i stop, im working all weekend was a good experience though cant wait to see more finished vikings!

Name:  berserker9web.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  77.4 KB

Livestreamin'

Blog

Available for Freelance!-Contact Michael.jay@live.co.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    Venger again no offense:

I just browsed through your portfolio and your gallery, not saying that my work would be any better! its definitely not,but I cant see anything special there either (concept-wise) so maybe you shouldnt point a finger at others.

so long
    seb
    ?? HAHAHAHAHAHHA (I was stunned there for a minute - 'no offence' indeed hahahaha)

So I have to be an 'uber mega concept artist' to offer an opinion do I?

You look through the link I posted you'll see many, many version of semi naked guys, wearing a bear head - I look through here I see the same image, where's the reinvention?

We'll have agree to differ or this thread will derail.

I'll have to save your reply as a quote - kids nowadays heh

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Schwager: do you think that they are both small? THX.
    @Aeronik: at this point i think your entry should be the only one to make it to the pols!!!! That is what i call concept art!!!! You brought us back to reality, THX!

Last edited by Paolo13; December 11th, 2010 at 07:04 AM.
    CA_Sketchbook
    Gray Zone Portfolio
    Paolo13 on FB

"As a concept artist, it is not the question that is important, it is the unexpected answer" William B Hand

Thanks
    Venger again no offense:

I just browsed through your portfolio and your gallery, not saying that my work would be any better! its definitely not,but I cant see anything special there either (concept-wise) so maybe you shouldnt point a finger at others.

so long
    seb
    He's not pointing a finger, he's just being observational, and quite spot on too. This is for fun this contest and to improve all of our art. all opinions are different.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do
    With your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

My Website

Sketchoholic - GET INTENSE!!!

Crimson Daggers - Meet to draw together

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtByManon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Crits?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    ok sorry, I apologize, I really didnt meant it as an offense, but the thing is its totally obvious that there is nothing really special in this round of CHoW ( my entry included) but if you are the one pointing that out, than you just have to be in the position to do so.

Because: yeah you are a good conceptartist ( I underlined before, that you are way better than I am ) BUT there is nothing really special to these concepts of yours, you have a anubis in an Egyptian setting, the raptor looks like straight out of warhammer ( an older version of the table top) , the first guy in your portfolio has a dish-like thing on his back as seen in many movies concerning egyptian-like seetings, this green avatar of nature-like guy has some elements that are one on one from a knight that is also a part of warhammer, you have some sort of Ice-Queen having ICE-Weapons and ICE-pauldrons ...and so on ..

The thing here , there is no problem in helping out somebody with posing, colouring and other technical issues even if you arent as good as he is

BUT
    : if you have concerns about ingenuity, THAN you have to be better yourself to point that out otherwise its very questionable

PLUS it isnt any helpful to anyone pointing out the obvoius

And yes save the quote but I dont see where this is any less immature.
    then again sorry if I hurt somebody that wasnt my intention

so long
    seb

Last edited by Partisan; December 11th, 2010 at 08:01 AM.

Thanks
    ok sorry, I apologize, I really didnt meant it as an offense, but the thing is its totally obvious that there is nothing really special in this round of CHoW ( my entry included) but if you are the one pointing that out, than you just have to be in the position to do so.
    Because: yeah you are a good conceptartist ( I underlined before, that you are way better than I am ) BUT there is nothing really special to these concepts of yours, you have a anubis in an Egyptian setting, the raptor looks like straight out of warhammer ( an older version of the table top) , the first guy in your portfolio has a dish-like thing on his back as seen in many movies concerning egyptian-like seetings, this green avatar of nature-like guy has some elements that are one on one from a knight that is also a part of warhammer, you have some sort of Ice-Queen having ICE-Weapons and ICE-pauldrons ...and so on ..

The thing here , there is no problem in helping out somebody with posing, colouring and other technical issues even if you arent as good as he is

BUT
    : if you have concerns about ingenuity, THAN you have to be better yourself to point that out otherwise its very questionable

PLUS it isnt any helpful to anyone pointing out the obvoius

then again sorry if I hurt somebody that wasnt my intention

so long
    seb
    Lol forget it kid, you're digging yourself in deeper

Thanks for the review of my portfolio...

Again - we're going to have to disagree, just let it go at that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Someone is actually turning down Venger's insight and dissing his portfolio!??!

Last edited by ~KJK~; December 11th, 2010 at 08:06 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Partisan:???????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????

CA_Sketchbook
    Gray Zone Portfolio
    Paolo13 on FB

"As a concept artist, it is not the question that is important, it is the unexpected answer" William B Hand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    dude i could of sworrrn that CHOW, and art in general, is FUN.
    obviously art now has rules, what is this world we live in? D8>
    seriously partisan, i don't see 2 Chow stars under your name + getting work (im sure venger is i mean)
    venger has the right to draw whatever the fuck he feels like drawing, how stereotypical it is doesnt matter, he loves what he does so he does it! and does it amazingly too!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ everybody - forget about it - it's derailing the thread.

quoting a PM which I'm sending to Partisan:

You don't have to be better than somebody to challenge their ingenuity - if you do then its going to be a very quiet forum - everyone's opinion counts, even if they're just starting out - they may seen things you may have missed.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    old vikings had no horned helmets.
    (celtics have weared hroned helmets for ceremonies, but not for fighting, because its nonpractical.)

no offense, i just wantet to say^^

Thanks
    Wow, page 9, nice going guys!

Minimal adjustments for mine, think Im gonna test out some snow and stuff to add atmosphere.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    ok a last one from me, I never said that you have to be " BETTER" meaning technical-wise, hell there isnt such thing as "beeing better" as a generic phrase, to say something (I even emphasized that actually) you can be worse concerning techical issues and still help somebody out .

...so yes even if they`re just starting out

And yes everybody has an opinion and everybody is free to express it, but then you have you accept that somebody may try to put your opinion to the test.

And then again maybe you should try not to be offended and pull the "yeah STFU kid"-card. Because the thing I tried to state is that igenuity isnt such a thing as pure drawing skills .

And if he has concerns about a lack of ingenuity, then it does matter if his own portfolio is stereotypical

venger has the right to draw whatever the fuck he feels like drawing, how stereotypical it is doesnt matter
    And concerning rules, obviously there is the rule that have to have stars under your name and earn a living by conceptart to disagree with someones opinion

Today 02:09 PM
    ryanoir dude i could of sworrrn that CHOW, and art in general, is FUN.
    obviously art now has rules, what is this world we live in? D8>
    seriously partisan, i don't see 2 Chow stars under your name + getting work (im sure venger is i mean)
    so far , i have to agree with Venger that its derailling the thread, and arguments obiously dont help to make a point.

so lets just enjoy CHoW, again my apologies to all of you

so long
    Seb

Thanks

BUT [/B]: if you have concerns about ingenuity, THAN you have to be better yourself to point that out otherwise its very questionable
    disagree.

I personally only have shitty works, but that's because I have to work on my basics and simply need a lot of practice before being able to implement my awesome ideas.
    But still I can crit every pic in this thread, because of ingenuity and other stuff.

PS: @ ryanoir: pleease remove those baby-skin highlights and the general anatomy problems are obvious imo, look at references! or do this pose in front of a mirror and you gonna see the difference ;D

Last edited by MasterStryke; December 11th, 2010 at 09:10 AM. Reason: OPERATION PAYBACK GO

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts

Thanks

And then again maybe you should try not to be offended and pull the "yeah STFU kid"-card. Because the thing I tried to state is that igenuity isnt such a thing as pure drawing skills .

And if he has concerns about a lack of ingenuity, then it does matter if his own portfolio is stereotypical
    You're operating with half the facts though - you're treating my entire portfolio as concept art work. If a Client wants a stereotypical image, I'll do a stereotypical image because that's what they are paying me for.
    Tailoring your illustrations to fit a clients theme is extremely necessary in the illustration business.
    If I was posting 'Warhammer art' and it wasn't right you'd instantly tell, the same goes for other clients.

Feel free to comment on the CHOW's - they are all from me, go back and review them and see the thought processes - if you think they're stereotypical, well that's your opinion and you're free to express it, the same as I am.

I put it down to maybe English isn't your first language - so maybe it was the way you'd written your 'personal review' was a little blunt and in your face - not something I was expecting from a post about pushing your design skills - however you've apologised for that so thats ok.

good luck to you

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    shit bunch of people are retarded or somthing.... horns no horns... who cares? is the assignment to portray a historically correct image of a realistic nordic warrior? FUCK NO! THe assignment is to portray YOUR version of a viking. This could mean that he has a freaking katana for a weapon but if the work rocks and that katana works perfectly in the image then who cares that it's an asian weapon?

if we start nitpicking every chow like this then wtf is the point of doing these contests at all? Yes, maybe historically vikigns didn't wear helmets with horns when they went to battle but we are designing a viking berserker which is a legend, almost liek a myth. So have some fun with it. In my opinion Partisan's guy is 100% dead on viking. I do not care if thats not how they dressed or looked like in real life. To me when i see his work i say "sweet. This berserking viking is going to cut em up!" and that's all that matters.

So seroiusly, all you nerds who try to point out such things as "vikings didnt wear horned helmets" need to stop trying to put more constrictions on people's work. I am sure 95% of people in this thread did look up viking in wiki and did realize that they did not wear helmets with horns when in battle. So no need to be that "educational guy" to try and feed your own ego for supposedly knowing something someone else does not.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This has been rattling around Photoshop for the past week in the hope it'll turn into something decent. Probably isn't going to get finished because rendering it feels like some sort of damage control. Still it felt like a vaguely decent idea when it started, so here's where it might well end.

I was mostly sold on the 'charging into battle while pissed' aspect along with the berserkers making themselves look frightening. So physical strength didn't really come into the design, I actually wanted the figure to look quite dainty and weak but still daunting. There was going to be a giant cloak made out of rat pelts but that was the first thing to go.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Gavage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    WIP update. Starting to clean up the rendering and figure out some accessory ideas.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Auspiciouspanda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo13 View Post
    @Schwager: do you think that they are both small? THX.
    Yeah, I think they're both a bit small. I'm all for exaggeration of features and proportions, but it seems a bit much.
    Looking at it again, I also think that the axe in the calm one is very small... especially next to the massive shield. Kind of in scale with the head.

Hope this helps... I think it's an awesome piece(s) regardless

The Art of Schwager
    Blog - theartofschwager.blogspot.com/
    Website - www.solitudo.com

36. The Following User Says Thank You to schwager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    emerging: amen brotha.

done i think. not very original, but it was fun to do something other than cow. you guys are awesome in here. this round has been really sweet.

Name:  chow#225_(lark.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  172.4 KB

38. The Following User Says Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Had an hour or so for a break - my reinterpretation
    I won't take it to finished - no time.

Name:  Vengerberserker.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  109.8 KB

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Small update!
    Almost done.

"Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Blog

Sketchbook

Deviant

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Hellfire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    last wip post

my first chow !! yaay I made it xD

actually I wanted to do a black-metal-berserker, but I kinda want to stick to the original.. so it stays believable..

the colouring is .. not very intense since I do not work in photoshop and can't use all those colour options..

ah and another thing, I also wanted to do this obsess thingy with the glowing eyes.. but parsakoira was faster.. dunno.. does it suck if I paint them in too?
    (... >D )

EH.. It's 6 AM here and I did work on this pic all the time .. lol dont know hows the time there... have to sleep now. see ya in around 7 hours
    (oh my gosh, hope I don't miss the deadline)

Last edited by MasterStryke; December 12th, 2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: PROJECT LEAKSPIN

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MasterStryke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I was looking for some subject matter for a sketch. I don't intend to do apply color or go any further, but I did enjoy this topic very much. Good luck everyone!

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks

down to the line

a bit of a change in direction, going for more the battlefield giant/tank with the big arse axe! Just need to move to clean up, although I've just noticed that the pommel's perspective is really off! Also he almost reminds me of Keith Jardine!

48. The Following User Says Thank You to matias For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Going for a Viking dressed according to what they wore based on dig out findings at Viking villages in Sweden. (My neighbors.. ) Here snacking on a toadstool in order to go berserk. Don't try this at home!

character-designer fedde
    Sketchbook
    DA
    Portfolio

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2