ChoW#225 :: Viking Berserker - Page 10

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hellfire - yours is my favourite so far. Sooo great.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do
    With your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

My Website

Sketchoholic - GET INTENSE!!!

Crimson Daggers - Meet to draw together
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtByManon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok heres my final... could have been working on it longer, but I am sorry I didnt have the time.....

Awesome entries guys!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wrah, I never had the time to finnish it up. Stupid of me,started a few hours ago developing it and meh. this is where I am atm, and I'm having a guest over for dinner in a sec. I'll probably finnish it tonight even though I wont make the poll.

Plan to make village in background burn
    Name:  berserker3 copy.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  183.5 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Woe there nelly! Things got a bit hairy on here over the weekend ey...

Ha ha!

Great passion guys!

Have had no time to work on mine... Gutted...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I missed the deadline obviously, but I did a bit more today and I thought I'd upload fro crits and giggles

Attached Images Attached Images  

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work. A real shame that you didn't make it to poll, there's a lot I like about it.

He looks suitably berserk and the guys in the background are a nice touch, too. As for the snow, I think you should have more smaller snowflakes mixed in. At the moment it looks a bit like it's only snowing in the front

The Art of Schwager
    Blog - theartofschwager.blogspot.com/
    Website - www.solitudo.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to schwager For This Useful Post:

GEB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

lionking

Hi Guys! You are most awesome talents here! However, some of you are blessed with flairs and skills, while others aren't. To win a Character of the Week contest you have to have quite a few skills. Let me,as a dilettante, tell you something... Your favorite artist has to have an idea, background and top notch artist's skills to be voted for. However, I am shocked by your voting for some works!!! Come on!!!! What are your criteria????!!!!!! For instance, the tentative winner for Chow # 225 doesn't look very sophisticated to me: I see no details, just a fuzzy work that is worth a few hour work! You should be more unbiased here, bros! Look at other works: Matias and Emerging look a way better! I see no idea at Dranyer's work. What is this warrior hacking, a land?!! I think it doesn't meet a contest requirements!! So, please, be the real artists when you judge some arts! Thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lionking View Post
    Hi Guys! You are most awesome talents here! However, some of you are blessed with flairs and skills, while others aren't. To win a Character of the Week contest you have to have quite a few skills. Let me,as a dilettante, tell you something... Your favorite artist has to have an idea, background and top notch artist's skills to be voted for. However, I am shocked by your voting for some works!!! Come on!!!! What are your criteria????!!!!!! For instance, the tentative winner for Chow # 225 doesn't look very sophisticated to me: I see no details, just a fuzzy work that is worth a few hour work! You should be more unbiased here, bros! Look at other works: Matias and Emerging look a way better! I see no idea at Dranyer's work. What is this warrior hacking, a land?!! I think it doesn't meet a contest requirements!! So, please, be the real artists when you judge some arts! Thank you
    What does it matter what he is hacking? Some things are better left to the viewer’s imagination. Of course there is a lot of worthy winners in the poll. But I don´t see what you have against Drayners work, calling it a fuzzy few hours work. That’s not nice

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,321 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lionking - And you are.....? Opinions are very well, but joining a forum just to criticize others voting is not going to win you many fans. The criteria here is character design, not illustration or technique. Environment is included at the artists individual discretion, and is not essential. If you have ideas about what you expect from a design, vote accordingly, otherwise don't cast aspersions upon others choices.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk View Post
    Lionking = Troll = Reported
    And I was just about to ask him who he was... and I was even beaten to that[]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Schwager: Thanks for the crit dude. Yeah I kinda threw the snow in to see how it looked, will defo spend a bit more time on it so it looks more random. Think I've learnt quite a bit while working on this one, it's been a blast!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Imagination?!

I am a viewer. I don't want to imagine behind the actual art I am seeing. Imagination is an artist's advantage. I judge what I see - an accomplished final product! Actually, this is a way for an artist to be recognized by viewers. Having a very high level of self confidence and adoring themselves as professionals brings the artists to frustrations, not to recognition. It is up to people decide if you are a good artist or not, and I would prefer to hear honest opinions, but not the hypocritical ones. Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lionking View Post
    Having a very high level of self confidence and adoring themselves as professionals brings the artists to frustrations, not to recognition.
    Oh? i see no one like that here?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I have to say something here.

Don't call him troll or report him, that shows only a lack of guts Oo

seriously?? only because he's pointing out his opinion you call him troll?

really weak of you.

ps:

I am a viewer. I don't want to imagine behind the actual art I am seeing. Imagination is an artist's advantage. I judge what I see - an accomplished final product!
    it's true

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MasterStryke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok so works like the Mona Lisa that has sparked people’s imagination over the centuries as to what gave her that smile must be really bad art to you then

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lionking, Who ARE you???? I cant find anything from you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maybe lionkin is an alias of someone here in the forums, someone who was outvoted in chow perhaps? made a secondary account just criticize other's votings so that the real forum name wouldnt get any shame (i dont know, just speculating)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lionking is an alias of Simba, who I doubt would spend his time banging on here about what HE thinks the requirements of Chow are, when the rules are clearly laid out by our fine mods Arthemis and IceMoon.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Who really cares... Though I do think that this site is all about artists helping artists and it's hard to take on advice from someone who isn't showing their own work.

Don't go all ramgage on me Lionking it's just my opinion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some of the things lionking delivered had a harsh understone i agree. But i also agree with few things lionking mentions.

Not that i want to protect anyone here but i can ask the same question "who are you?" to every person that votes on this forum knowing for sure that at least 25 percent of them have never shown any work or paritcipated in weekly challenges. So yeah, guys, that argument is really digging yourselves a hole lol.

The person is expressing their own opinion. Technically this was a crit saying what he/she does not like about a particular piece which is just as equal as saying what you do like about a particular piece. Maybe the delivery wasn't as nice as we are all used to. And trust me i am not saying all these thigns just because lionking mentioned my work to be one of their favourites.

Jager i see where you are coming from but dont compare this work to Mona Lisa please. We could all sit here all day and say as artists "meh, you don't like my work because you don't understand it" but that is also very ignorant of us as artists to say. GOtta be open to any opinion and critique. This person's opinion does not coincide with 50% or more other people. Does that mean lionking is wrong? nooooot at all. It's a different way of seeing and a different background. And this person does not need to have participated or been a member of this website for 5 years, and most importantly DOES NOT have to know people on the forums, to be able to give positive or negative feedback. Just like a member does not need to have all those requirements to vote for any work he/she likes.

Anyway, to report this person would be retarded just like Masterstryke has implied. Having said that, i agree with lionking about groud hacking thing which i even mentioned in my crits before in the voting section. It is the delivery of the message that is boiling up so much controversy which it really should not.

Maybe if we all listen to different kind of opinions even if it's one against other 99 we will improve more as artists and not grow big egos.. That's why i even said not to ever compare any of this digital work to Mona Lisa. Just please, dont...

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with what you say Emerging. AS an artist I stick my head out every day, and have to expect getting it chopped of. And I can take that, and so should everybody who is an artist. But I still want to know abit of the person behind the crit. In this case, Lionking. Its not the crit it self. That one is fair (allthough I dont fulle agree) , but as you say the way it was delivered. It was his first post, and when its delivered with such hostility I naturally want to see some sort of background. And I can understand paople yelling troll. Its about being a bit humble and polite. I dont walk into your livingroom bashsing out how ugly and bad taste it is without you getting at least a little angry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by emerging View Post
    some of the things lionking delivered had a harsh understone i agree. But i also agree with few things lionking mentions.

Not that i want to protect anyone here but i can ask the same question "who are you?" to every person that votes on this forum knowing for sure that at least 25 percent of them have never shown any work or paritcipated in weekly challenges. So yeah, guys, that argument is really digging yourselves a hole lol.

The person is expressing their own opinion. Technically this was a crit saying what he/she does not like about a particular piece which is just as equal as saying what you do like about a particular piece. Maybe the delivery wasn't as nice as we are all used to. And trust me i am not saying all these thigns just because lionking mentioned my work to be one of their favourites.

Jager i see where you are coming from but dont compare this work to Mona Lisa please. We could all sit here all day and say as artists "meh, you don't like my work because you don't understand it" but that is also very ignorant of us as artists to say. GOtta be open to any opinion and critique. This person's opinion does not coincide with 50% or more other people. Does that mean lionking is wrong? nooooot at all. It's a different way of seeing and a different background. And this person does not need to have participated or been a member of this website for 5 years, and most importantly DOES NOT have to know people on the forums, to be able to give positive or negative feedback. Just like a member does not need to have all those requirements to vote for any work he/she likes.

Anyway, to report this person would be retarded just like Masterstryke has implied. Having said that, i agree with lionking about groud hacking thing which i even mentioned in my crits before in the voting section. It is the delivery of the message that is boiling up so much controversy which it really should not.

Maybe if we all listen to different kind of opinions even if it's one against other 99 we will improve more as artists and not grow big egos.. That's why i even said not to ever compare any of this digital work to Mona Lisa. Just please, dont...
    Despite the fact this is giving the issue far more attention than it deserves, it is necessary to point out the ‘who are you’ comment is directed at the unnecessary criticism of individuals work that is not remotely constructive. Saying anybody who chooses a different character design over his (Lionkings) choice are ‘biased’ is uncalled for, and not a valid crit, particularly as Lionking's choice is based upon criteria not required by CHOW, ie: the inclusion of a background. The contest requirements are not decided by Lionking, although he/she is completely free to vote for whomever he/she likes.

Jager's comparison to ‘The Mona Lisa’, although obviously not realistic, is justified. Whilst a degree of ‘literal’ design is required in any concept to take it to the next stage, and for others to have information to develop that design, art is also about what you leave out as much as what you put in. Not going all ‘Lovecraftian’, but the spaces 'in-between' are important in art. That is where the imagination fills in the gaps. There is a story in almost any image, whether a concept or a renaissance painting.

As for making a crit or observation about artwork, sure, you don’t have to have been a member here for five years to be able to do that, anyone can, but if your FIRST post here is judgemental and pretty aggressive then expect comeback. Whilst I believe everybody has something to say, and everyone has an 'opinion' (this is the internet after all) not all of it is common sense or relevant.

Quote from Lionking: "...doesn't look very sophisticated to me: I see no details, just a fuzzy work that is worth a few hour work! [...]Matias and Emerging look a way better! I see no idea at Dranyer's work. What is this warrior hacking, a land?!! I think it doesn't meet a contest requirements!! So, please, be the real artists when you judge some arts!" Not a CRIT, but a judgement call. Needs to lay off the exclamation marks a bit. I'm sure Dranyer's a big boy, but that strikes me as just rude and dismissive.

Last edited by Aly Fell; December 18th, 2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: grammar

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly Fell View Post
    Despite the fact this is giving the issue far more attention than it deserves, it is necessary to point out the ‘who are you’ comment is directed at the unnecessary criticism of individuals work that is not remotely constructive. Saying anybody who chooses a different character design over his (Lionkings) choice are ‘biased’ is uncalled for, and not a valid crit, particularly as Lionking's choice is based upon criteria not required by CHOW, ie: the inclusion of a background. The contest requirements are not decided by Lionking, although he/she is completely free to vote for whomever he/she likes.

Jager's comparison to ‘The Mona Lisa’, although obviously not realistic, is justified. Whilst a degree of ‘literal’ design is required in any concept to take it to the next stage, and for others to have information to develop that design, art is also about what you leave out as much as what you put in. Not going all ‘Lovecraftian’, but the spaces 'in-between' are important in art. That is where the imagination fills in the gaps. There is a story in almost any image, whether a concept or a renaissance painting.

As for making a crit or observation about artwork, sure, you don’t have to have been a member here for five years to be able to do that, anyone can, but if your FIRST post here is judgemental and pretty aggressive then expect comeback. Whilst I believe everybody has something to say, and everyone has an 'opinion' (this is the internet after all) not all of it is common sense or relevant.

Quote from Lionking: "...doesn't look very sophisticated to me: I see no details, just a fuzzy work that is worth a few hour work! [...]Matias and Emerging look a way better! I see no idea at Dranyer's work. What is this warrior hacking, a land?!! I think it doesn't meet a contest requirements!! So, please, be the real artists when you judge some arts!" Not a CRIT, but a judgement call. Needs to lay off the exclamation marks a bit. I'm sure Dranyer's a big boy, but that strikes me as just rude and dismissive.
    Yup!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly Fell View Post

Yeah i see where you guys are coming from. The reason I said dont compare to Mona Lisa because clearly the "guess" factor does not work in this work. When you look at the work you dont go "hmmm this is intersting he is hitting something on the ground" you go "hmm nice work but why is he hitting the ground? makes no sense." at least i did as much as i liked his work. And a few people did as well. Don't go and teach me right now how sometimes it's good to leave things out for the viewer. It's not like i do not know that. I finished 4 years of conceptual (not concept*) art school. I would definitely know that. I am just saying that in this work it is not working. That is what i meant. At least for me and couple other people who expressed the same opinion in the voting thread.

And although it is nice to knwo who is critiquing or even bashing your work as in this case you would never know background of each person who comes in to see your work lets say in the gallery. Who the people are does not really matter in the end because only a few will be glad to meet you and let you know their background.

My point is simply that nobody here is perfect at what we do and we can always learn from any kind of feedback. The reason i looked at lionking's feedback from a different direction is because several things that person pointed out coincided with my critique of drayner's work as i already mentioned.

And once again. A person does not have to be ANYONE at all to be able to say "your work is shit" or "i love your work". When i walk into a gallery, as a viewer i can come up to any painting and say outloud "this painting is horrible, i dont like it because of this this and that". Would i get kicked out? If yes, then thats pretty bs to me. The fact is i wont get kicked out no matter who i am. Thats where i am trying to get at. When you put up your work for public viewing expect that and dont be like a little dog barking back at every opportunity. Would you be running around the gallery where your work is exhibited and listen to people's commetns and when hearing bad ones would you start argueing with them? i do not think so.

Quite frankly i think even drayner himself does not care as much as all of you do about this little issue lol

and again im not saying lionking is right but neither is this person completely biased or troll-like. Again, the delivery makes you feel that its biased but what the person said has some validity too. Like i said before, then who can crit or express their opinion if the crit always includes a personal preference. And therefore opinion is crit, and every opinion is biased since it is OPINION. So technically every crit is comewhat biased as well depending on the critic's personal preferences and background. And here we are, coming back to the same point again lol

37. The Following User Says Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno about anyone else, but I sorta assumed dranyers character was hacking at something living atleast because of the trail of blood (which btw, looks awesome. just sayin')
    Whilst it is good to put in as much detail & information as possible, i think leaving out certain elements allows everybody to view a peice in a different & unique light - & sometimes we as humans don't react well to processing too much information & detail.

here <--- My progressive sketchbook~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone,
    I didn't really mean to incite anybody here. How come you find my posts aggressive and not nice? I brought up my personal opinion. What's wrong with that? You are the artists and should be open to any critics or judgment for it is up to average people to recognize you as artists. Good for those of you who understand, that real Arts will always be recognized, sooner, or later, just wait......

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Members who have read this thread: 2