Sketchbook: Sketches, swords, sorcery and horses

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketches, swords, sorcery and horses

Last edited by Ceinwen Fang; February 11th, 2014 at 07:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to get a gist of where I am now. Some recent messy charcoal sketches and a bunch of old stuff

Attached Images Attached Images                
    Last edited by Ceinwen Fang; February 9th, 2012 at 06:26 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    + some inkings

Sketches, swords, sorcery and horses Sketches, swords, sorcery and horses

Sketches, swords, sorcery and horses Sketches, swords, sorcery and horses

Last edited by Ceinwen Fang; December 20th, 2010 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two pencil portraits, an inky scribble and an acrylic canvas study thinggummajig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been away, but here's the few things ive done while on me travels

that one was at an art fair while sitting in the cold for a few hours. It got really smudged by my gloves and I didnt notice til afterwards!! I'm a noob.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

Looking good mate. I really like the paintings and sketches of the horses.

anyways i brought this book, "The Art of Animal Drawing by Ken Hultgren", some time back from amazon, seems really useful but couldn't go through it yet. You may want to give it a try, since you are into painting animals.

Try this one as well. You might find it useful. Took some time to load this though.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/24324116/D...o-Draw-Animals

Keep up the good work and best of luck.

My Sketchbook

Check out my friends?
    Lt.Plissken | Ramalooke | ThomasM | shiNIN | kiwigarbage | Kungfoowiz | Bethany K. | Sivonja | equilerex

What man is a man, who does not make the world, better. -Kingdom of Heaven

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks so much - loved that Scribd link, I'm speed reading through it now! Seriously helpful! Thanks again!

Todays weirdness is an ink witch and pencil centaur.

I plan to do some serious expressions and studies soon - feel like technique is getting there, but shapes and proportions are needing work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really liking the way you're defining the structure of the horses' faces, and their muscles, especially in the pencil drawings in your first post. The people are coming along well too.
    Looking forward to seeing more of your work, it's always so nice and lively.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow your horse works are really amazing
    It's very good that you set up a clear goal for yourself and know where you have to improve. I guess in order to get there i would focus on a lot of different studies (bridgman, hogarth, loomis, etc) and draw from life.
    Your portrait still have some anatomy issues but i really love the technique you're using, they're looking really good so far
    Keep up the great work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Lav :] Studies and practice are certainly on the improvement plan, as well as anatomy lessons, but mostly practice.
    Never shown more than when I try and carry out a concept and my basic grounding is the thing letting me down as in here, where I digitalised that pencil centaur in attempting to do a character of the week design

the idea was my muse, a blend of what inspires me, classical natural fantasy (part-horse centaur aspect) and urban political styles.
    Think I rushed a bit though, but at least I got it done.

Also a dragon cause photoshop was open, tablet was out, and I always feel its a waste of paper drawing dragons traditionally because my dragons really suck. I love them though (I even think I caught sight of one the other day, plus there's one on my national flag) so I must get in some practice and maybe work up to some real paintings. Definitely an aspect of fantasy art it'd be helpful for me to master. Hopefully my dinosaur obsession when I was five will be useful grounding here, lol.

Til next time!

Last edited by Ceinwen Fang; December 21st, 2010 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thing with dragons is its tough to do studies from life haha. I am doing imagination based studies though.

Some upper body work

and a face!

The question is how to make the studies/sketches link in with the kind of stuff I'm trying to illustrate/convey... Argh! but that can be a question for another day.

Last edited by Ceinwen Fang; December 21st, 2010 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some quick imagination-based environments and a croc study in aid of improving my dragons.

Last day off horses, tomorrow I'm going to get some canvasses done ready for new year craft fairs... but hoping to do some more digital too, maybe enter the horsemen of the apocalypse CHOW, right up my street ha ha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another pencil dragon, a unicorn cityscape, sketches for the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse chow, and a moon priestess that I did for the Winter Solstice.

Meant to do more studies and horse sketches, they just kept turning into other stuff. More scanning to do tomorrow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today no traditional scannage, but I did some digital stuff in the evening.
    Gonna try and get back into using the tablet, saves paper!
    -Chow sketches for Famine and Death
    -Another croc study
    -20 min speedy of a kelpie. I'm generally awful at fitting in subjects and bgs, so I want to try and practice environment+subject more often.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey larchist,pleasure to meet you :3 your horse studies (especially the faces) and upper body human anatomy studies are gorgeous D: keep going!

Ill keep posted :3

Will x

Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Larchist, thanks for posting in my sketchbook. The horses paintings are beautiful. I love dinos when I was younger, I still like them now. Dragons are my favourite too, creatures generally. For reference to dragons, you could try lizards (salamanders) and maybe turtle heads (short snout) for dragon variations.

All the best!^^

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pisces_painter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! You have quite a beautiful touch I think that you are well on your way to developing skills as an oil painter, you already have a couple paintings that are nice. I actually enjoy that somewhat abstracted one in the first bunch.

Looks like you're studying a lot, I would suggest doing some more still lifes. You seem pretty comfortable with the figure. Also, when you place your figures in an environment, they often don't agree with the planes, and seem like they are out of place. Figure out gravity and how they touch the ground, or interact with it.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwigarbage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,759 Times in 2,486 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Something is telling me that you are a big horse lover.

Sketchbook
    [last update; 12th September 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    DeviantArt
    blog

...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pisces-painter thanks for your comment, oh man I LOVED dinosaurs when I was little and I kind of still do. I know Walking With Dinosaurs off by heart, embarrassingly enough. Lizards and turtles will go on my 'to study' list, both are great suggestions.

Hey kiwigarbage, thanks for your nice words, though I think I only seem comfy with the figure because I'm using refs, when I stop it all falls apart haha.
    Not agreeing with the planes is an awesome way to put my problem, I've known Ive had trouble integrating figures into environments forever, but not known exactly why. I just don't draw planes enough, I reckon. Right, really got to work on that. Cheers for all your help :]

LtPlissken - No bad thing, I learn a lot from drawing the beasts, although I am in a rut at the moment I must admit. Maybe I should take up anacondas or something instead.

Just realised that I go away tomorrow and am not back til the 2nd so will probably not have time to do the horsemen unless i pull an all nighter. I'd better pick one and get going on it.

My xmas was quiet and I always doodle all day. I sabotaged my entire day though by forgetting to have any unlined paper. I was drawing in my journal though, so here are those doodles... sorry, it does have lines... Then someone coincidentally gave me a sketchbook (haven't had a sketchbook as a present in years, very nostalgia inducing!) and all was well in the world again.

Happy midwinter to you CA =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is as far as I can get the horsemen Im afraid, unless I put in the time the day I get home, and am not already too late. Possible I guess!

War has changed in theme somewhat, you may be able to tell it began as a random vent-style scribble of frustration. Now it's a sort of Boudicca angry woman, and probably a portrait of my inner scary person.
    Have not done a single stroke to Conquest... oops!

Oh also attaching a warm up self portrait I did to get back into the idea of skin tones. It was tough at first but it came out OK, well, OK by my standards, and it is apparently recognisably me, so all good really.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you obviously know an impressive amount of horse anatomy. I'm jealous xD
    Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DanaT- Cheers!

Just remembered these gesture drawings I did for the spartan challenge.
    Ooo I really am on an improvement kick, all these challenges and chows and whatnot :]
    I'd never done gestures before and now I have done 50. Well 67 to be precise, I lost a file so had to redo a load. All in photoshop reffed from the gesture drawing tool, mostly 2mins, the last page is 1 min per drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

The last updates are looking great. About the #20; did u mean Boadicea? Queen of the Iceni? well, since i listened to Enya's song about this person always wanted to do a painting of her but hey, Itll take some time have to train first.

Anyways If you still have time to do this weeks CHOW, itll be ideal for you. If you could do just 1 horseman that would be enough. Try to go for a striking pose. I suggest you watch some movies such as Gladiator(directors cut), King Arthur etc so that you may get some good ideas how the pose should be.

Those doodles at #19 are cool. nice linework. but little more face studies would benefit you a lot.

Last post, Poses are looking great but you ought to do more studies. Especially head studies. Try to get a copy of Loomis' 'Drawing Heads and Hands' book. Also im using 'Human Anatomy for artists by Eliot Goldfinger' which is also great sinc it overs a lot about the muscular system.

Well keep up the good work and good luck for CHOW.

My Sketchbook

Check out my friends?
    Lt.Plissken | Ramalooke | ThomasM | shiNIN | kiwigarbage | Kungfoowiz | Bethany K. | Sivonja | equilerex

What man is a man, who does not make the world, better. -Kingdom of Heaven

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey devastacio,
    Yep it's the same person, I've painted her a few times but obviously, not with any skill or accomplishment haha.
    Thanks for your advice!! I took the words about drawing faces very seriously! In fact spent an hour doing super quick studies (30 seconds each) which was SUCH hard work - I've never felt quite so mentally fatigued - and not very rewarding as they mostly just look like scribbles lol. but for progression's sake, I will post them (Hopefully to laugh at in a few weeks/months time)

Weird thing about this page of faces.... I counted them afterwards and I wasn't keeping track or sticking to a 50 minute limit or anything... but there are exactly 100!! Accidentally! How odd.

Also posting my sketchbook pages from my visit to the city. People doodles, including one inspired by Miss Van (I saw one of her originals there!!! Also went to the museum where I saw Turners and Monets) and two drawings from the street, omgss I have got to practice perspective more. I know the theory and I CAN draw three point... but I'm just really not used to doing it.

Also including a few still lifes involving my shoes and a scarf.

Oh and a digital face study.

PHEW right now I'm back better get going on that apocalypse horseman...

..or possibly go out and celebrate the new year or something...

hmmm.

Last edited by Ceinwen Fang; December 31st, 2010 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that last yellowy face is looking amazing larchy \o/ and i was looking forward to commenting on the sexually related centaurs :< *feels put out* Id like to see moar portraits WINK WINK.

Will

Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice studies of horses , i love horses too and your work is awesome , specaly i like inkings on #3 and #4 very nice , Keep up the good work and happy new year!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No worries Will. I am making more portraits

Thanks sivonja you are a horsey inspiration!

Just done a bit on Conquest, ok not a great deal... but I am pretty much awful at backgrounds as has been noted. So I thought I'd try and get that right. All help MUCH appreciated. Also the same goes for Death. I am really struggling, but whoever said improvement came easy. Hopefully I am learning things. Am considering starting all four horsemen from scratch though and doing some more inspiring concepts, these ones are starting to faze me. Probably won't now it's almost over though. x)

Also some 3min spartan gestures just to keep me horsey eye in.

Last edited by Ceinwen Fang; January 1st, 2011 at 07:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your horses are amazing, but your human face proportions are often off. Your self-portrait is actually the best Keep it up!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to pixel cheetah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good, keep these up. Pay more attention to facial proportions and whether your drawings are tending toward a particular direction cause unbalanced work.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Ccs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers mateys. I spent a few minutes looking at my face drawings again and wow, suddenly I realised what you are talking about. I'm going to try and do at least 10 studies of faces this week, attaching one from today. I'll work on some construction lines and anatomy too, this was more of a tester.

Also attaching an upside down self portrait of myself in a spoon. This was so hard I might have to try it again though. It was an interesting challenge

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1