Need a helping hand!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need a helping hand!

Hi guys, I'm working on this pic and I am having some trouble with the arm holding the treasure.

Some kind of paint over would really help, as I understand what is wrong with it (I think) as it looks very static with not much depth but I am having real trouble envisioning how to sort it out :/

The "treasure" is just a "dummy" treasure right now until I get the arm right which is why it is so lame looking hahah!

I know the legs and other parts may look a bit dodgy right now, but I think I can easily sort them out and I'm not really worried about them at this stage

Any help is really appreciated

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face head alteration

Hi, I just did a quick alteration to the size of the head and facial features. I think the arm looks worse because the size of the head is about 10 - 15% too big.

I reckon the arm doesn't look too bad once the head is fixed.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One problem might be that you have some dummy treasure. I have no idea what that is. Sketch roughly in the object she will hold because the hand will change a lot with different objects. You should also pick a similar object and pose yourself in front of the mirror or take ref pictures. Hands are hard to draw...

Posing yourself is a very good idea and will help with the static poses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, in the context of the image I see nothing wrong with that arm. It fits in just perfectly, in that it is just as static and lacking in depth as the rest of the figure.

Stand in front of a mirror, try out that pose with or without props, and see how it really looks. Chances are, you'll have a hard time getting that gun hand to line up so head-on, or the treasure hand to be that side-profiled, or the torso to be that rigid and direct, or the face to be so dead-set forward. And even if you could get one of those, I guarantee you couldn't get all of them at once.

Hate to tell you, but I don't see anything short of a total re-do being able to fix these issues.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot guys for the tips. I decided I just really didn't like the arm where it was so I repositioned it by her side, I think it looks better personally?

@Anid Maro - I totally see what you mean but I honestly don't like the painting enough to repaint the entire thing as the whole theme is a bit cliche and eughhhhh that it isn't worth the extra time and effort haha!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think narrative-wise, the arm positioning was better before. With your change, we don't really know that what's in her right hand is important/precious. Also, I have no idea whether that snake is friend or foe, since she seems comfy enough with it wrapped around her, but it seems to be looking at her menacingly. Lastly (and I don't know if this was intentional or not), but there is something that makes her face look very unstrung. I may be mistaken, but part of it is that her pupils aren't totally looking in the same direction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wooblood View Post
    I think narrative-wise, the arm positioning was better before. With your change, we don't really know that what's in her right hand is important/precious. Also, I have no idea whether that snake is friend or foe, since she seems comfy enough with it wrapped around her, but it seems to be looking at her menacingly. Lastly (and I don't know if this was intentional or not), but there is something that makes her face look very unstrung. I may be mistaken, but part of it is that her pupils aren't totally looking in the same direction.
    Hey thanks alot, I actually totally agree with you. I am just coping out of a tricky situation and it's not worth mucking up the narrative. I tried again with the hand being up-right.

I also agree with the face being a bit off, I will have to go back to it later

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Her arm seems to be too short. I don't see foreshortening that would explain this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by shiNIN View Post
    Her arm seems to be too short. I don't see foreshortening that would explain this.
    I would agree in reference to the first wip I posted but since then I have resized her head in later wips posted. I think her arm looks just the right length now?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.