C.O.W. #197_Dream Guardian_Voting!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Who do you want guarding your dreams?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buchmaler

8 10.67%
  • Mobius-9

9 12.00%
  • Fil-Ram

12 16.00%
  • Pxel-Slayer

7 9.33%
  • porcupine

0 0%
  • ARefrigerator

0 0%
  • samantharobinson

19 25.33%
  • mbetteker

5 6.67%
  • MasterStryke

1 1.33%
  • JanJager

5 6.67%
  • Ishren

0 0%
  • Wiggen

3 4.00%
  • NetherVoid

3 4.00%
  • o0Dave0o

1 1.33%
  • Moemoore

0 0%
  • skullbeast

1 1.33%
  • SailorMooninite

1 1.33%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #197_Dream Guardian_Voting!

C.O.W. #197 Dream Guardian_Voting!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #197 VOTING

Topic: Dream Guardian

Single vote only! (<20 entries)
    Be sure to visit the WIP thread to read the brief before voting:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201849

Deadline for the voting: 1 WEEK

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; December 10th, 2010 at 02:58 PM.
    Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  final.jpg
Views: 2374
Size:  530.2 KB

Artist: Buchmaler

Concept: Prismatic Imp

Prismatic Imps (or short: Primps) are dream guardians who live somewhere between dream and reality. Their bellies have an anemone structure. Good thoughts and memories that bubble up from the dreamer condensates on this surface and get absorbed. The Primps use this energy to cast rainbow magic with their numerous hands. Rainbow beams will banish nightmares (crawling dark shadowy creatures) very effective. If a nightmare withstand anyhow the Primps form a heart with their hands in front of their chests to cast an even stronger rainbow superbeam.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buchmaler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Mobius-9

Concept: Oneirologic incubator
    This symbiotic organism lives within the synapses of the human brain and is present in everyone. While the host is awake, the creature rests and harmlessly nourishes itself on serotonin and other healthy brain functions. When the person goes to sleep and into their dream space, the oneirologic incubator protects the host's psyche as if it were it's own offspring. Warding off any negative thought patterns as they will cause a decrease of nutrients for the creature while the host is awake. If a person's incubator is strong, the host experiences far fewer nightmares and, in turn, the creature receives more sustenance and only grows stronger.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mobius-9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: FilRam
    Concept: Wandering Spirit
    They flee when they hear the sound of hundreds of bells jingling in the distance, dangling from the spirits hair; this is his weapon against the nightmares.
    The guardian's always around because of two strings of cloth binding it to its owner

Last edited by FilRam; December 8th, 2010 at 09:24 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FilRam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 395 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: PxelSlayer
    Concept: Vigil Somnis

As Gods created the sky, the Earth and all life upon it, so was the case with Aether - Vigil Somnis were once plentiful, as every man, woman and child had dreams. These beautiful creatures glided through dream streams and made sure no harm would ever come to those who would enter their realm. But, as mankind stopped believing in dreams, and eventually even stopped dreaming, Vigil Somnis, one after the other, left the Aether, for it seemed that all hope was lost. No dreams were left for them to guard.

Yet...even after all of it`s brethren left, one remained - one that is still waiting for that one dreamer, unique just like it, to replenish the Aether with his dreams once more...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: porcupine

Concept: Dream Guardian
    Made of the same fabric as the night sky, the Dream Guardian is watching vigilantly. Feeding on nightmares and terrors while keeping the slumbering people safe.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to porcupine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Fridge

Concept: The Frisky Proteus
    This creature jumps from object to object in search of nightmares. Using its many hands and its fluffy tail, The frisky Proteus will tickle the nightmares until they laugh in a violent explosion. It then uses this power for energy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Sammy

Concept: The White Nox
    The White nox is a small spirit which can be summoned by the hanging of a dreamcatcher. They Feed on the Dreams of those asleep. It has a long slender body for winding through the intricate webbings of the catcher. Using it's paws, it draws out the dream from the web. The creature, being completly blind, uses it's feelers to move around it's environment.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samantharobinson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: mbetteker

Concept: dream shepherd
    ...each dreamcube has it's own overseer, a shepherd. We all must visit our own cube during sleep. It is the dream shepherds that create and cultivate the worlds in which we visit.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mbetteker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: MasterStryke

Concept: Hypnomoth

He has the epic might of the FAIL eye.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If the rhythm of the dream guardian and the shaman beat simultaneously the dream catcher becomes a portal to the dream dimension. the membrane between the worlds opens and communication is possible.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Ishren
    Concept: Dream Worm

Travels from dream to dream hunting nightmares. Contact with its feelers causes good dreams.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Wiggen

Concept: Nightmare Hunter

This hunter treads the dreamscape, looking for bad dreams to eat. Though blind, the bright light on its antennae causes the nightmares to writhe and squeal in dismay. The hunter's hearing is quite good and it pounces upon them with its spring-like body. Though we reap its benefits, its intentions are far from noble. It seeks only to feed itself.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiggen For This Useful Post:

Lav

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: NetherVoid

Concept: The Ateli

The Ateli are nobel creatures, first discovered by the native americans through spirit journeys and rituals. These creatures protect populated areas from the negative aspects of the dream world, breaking up the dream surges with their massive physical and spiritual power, and keeping the people in their territory safe. The creatures seem to bear many resemblances to native american spiritual guides such as the wolf, bear, and deer, culturing further belief in these animals supernatural connections.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NetherVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: o0Dave0o

Concept: Flying Dream Guardian
    The Flying Dream Guardian floats through the Astral Plane like a fishing troller, absorbing bad dreams and nightmares through its large net-like fins. There are many of these creatures guarding our dream plain, and after absorbing too many nightmares (most of which are unimaginable to us since we never seen them) they die from the weight of a thousand nightmares, but there are always more to take their place. It is this epic sacrifice that the Flying Dream Guardian makes to keep our dreams as safe and happy as possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Moemoore

Concept: Dream Strider
    A common sight on the Astral Plane, the Dream Strider is a colossal insectoid which feeds off the positive energy created by human dreams. Drawn to nexus points which link the Astral Plane with the human mind, these creatures are highly territorial and will not hesitate to lock horns with other Striders in displays of dominance or spread clouds of acrid spores which can ward off even the fiercest terrors which seek to invade the human mind.

Name:  DREAM.jpg
Views: 1924
Size:  294.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: skullbeast

Concept: Dorian dream cat
    The Dorian dream cat is used to guard and protect against nightmare contagion. Physical nightmares are devoured and metaphysical ones are zapped into oblivion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dream Guardian

Artist: Sailormooninite

Concept: Golden Dream Weaver

In traditional Native American belief, bad dreams were caught in the "web" of the dream catcher, and the good dreams would pass through and follow down the feathers to the sleeper. The bad dreams would then be destroyed with the light of day.

The dream guardian absorbs the bad dreams into its body to keep them from passing through the web and into the world of the dreamers. The side effect of this turns the otherwise beautiful creature into a product of all of the nightmares. However, with the light of dawn, the bad dreams are destroyed, and the guardian returns to its original form.

Last edited by SailorMooninite; December 9th, 2010 at 12:12 AM.
    I know that I can...now I must DO

It's all about confidence. Just keep at it and you will prevail!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Si_Swe View Post
    C.O.W. #197 Dream Guardian_Voting!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #196 VOTING

Topic: DEATHS FAMILIAR

fail

31. The Following User Says Thank You to MasterStryke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really really tough choice between pixelslayer and samantharobinson
    two so different yet fit the brief perfectly showcase an excellent rendering and bring a healthy dose of originality.

I vote for samantharobinson - its very refreshing to see this style and i think linework plus color work is just amazing great job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was a very hard decission because there are many entries i really really like a lot.
    My favs were wiggen, samantharobinson (for the soooo clear style ... can you teach this to me?) and mobius-9 (for it's atmosphere) and i voted for Wiggen. It is not the best rendered creature but i love this "folded" body and the over all surrealistic feeling. So it is more a vote for the Idea then for the realization. (sorry for my poor english)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Buchmaler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh! Such a tough decision! Lots of very nice work per usual. My vote went to samantharobinson.

I will elaborate at another time, but I couldn't peel my eyes away from the image. Such a unique style and good concept.

Fillram, was a very close second. Your concept reminds me of something out of studio ghibli.

I know that I can...now I must DO

It's all about confidence. Just keep at it and you will prevail!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to SailorMooninite For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing work guys! Such a variety of creatures, all so unique and well executed.
    My vote goes to mbetteker for a truly surreal design and some amazing lighting and brush work. I'm honestly not that big on the actual creature but the execution and colors are inspiring. Great work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

?

Sometimes I feel like the judging is on the picture as a whole. Its not as though Im concerned but curious. Am I missing something? Isn't it about the "design" not the level of a final for sale piece (a.k.a. Concept art) but a concept in it's rough and raw. A creature. Not a landscape. It's just my opinion. Monsters and critters and creatures should be the focus. Something new never seen before and not human.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Buchmaler - I thought you constructed a unique, friendly looking and whimsical creature. The hands at the bottom feel a bit static and I almost feel like the hands could have been replaced with almost any appendage and it would have worked. I think a bit more could have been done with the background, even if it were just a different texture (at the moment I don’t think the old parchment texture works all that well for the piece). But it’s original, well executed and has personality so I gave it my vote.
    Mobius-9 - You did a great job giving the piece a great overall sense of it the mystical and the astral. Your creature has definite vibes of being a guardian and there is a connection to the dreamlike right away. I think the simple design works in certain areas like the head and the starry body goes a long way. I think a lot more attention could have been payed to the arms, with look a little awkward and simplistic. The wings, I think, would have looked great if there was a little more glow to them and if the crackling energy within them looked a little less like a thin scribble.
    Fil-Ram - Just like your familiar, I like your style a lot and there’s a great sense of character to the creature. One thing to watch out for is that the face in conjunction with the fabric on its arms gives the immediate impression of a puppet or a muppet. The magical energy on it’s hands could really be accentuated with lighter values and more luminosity. at the moment they are the exact same tone as the space behind it and give more the impression that the sky has some texture applied arbitrarily.
    Pxel-Slayer - Your rendering is very pretty and I love the palette here. I think the creature’s musculature could have been more defined and I the positioning of its right leg is confusing when read from our perspective, so I feel like the pose could have been altered slightly for better readability. The tail, I feel becomes thin too far from the base of the tail, and I think if it were placed a bit higher on the creature I wouldn’t think that so much.
    porcupine - There is a great sense of dog-like loyalty to your creature. It has the exact sense of wanting to please its master by chasing away any and all things. Some of your forms are still a little bit flat and I feel there was a missed opportunity to make it’s coat somewhat lambent. I can see what you were going for in the background, but the take a look at images of the desert and of mountains at night, there is no trace of the warm tones unless there is specifically warm lighting near a certain part of it. Use a larger brush for clouds when you can. Keep on pushing yourself and maybe do some animal studies. You’re getting pretty good.
    ARefrigerator - I like the description, but I feel that narrative doesn’t come across that well in the piece. It looks more like the creature is clinging for dear life or is, at least, a little scared. Try altering pose to really get that dynamic going, make sure that the pose accentuates the playful nature you’ve described above. As rendering goes, try and maybe make your wrinkles a little less uniform and allow light and shadow to define the creature’s form more than line.
    samantharobinson - Really fantastic style. You’ve executed a piece with a lot of personality and a great sense of the mystical. I suppose the only think I wish about the piece is that the creature felt more in unity with with the dreamcatcher. Not in pose or personality, but rather, I wish the plumes hinted more at the plumes on the catcher or that the palette of the creature had more touches of the palette of the catcher. Great job, though, with a really refreshing style.
    mbetteker - I liked the sort of sci-fi, Reboot take on dreams and the dream guardian. There is a nice sense of the whimsicality of the creature and if there was a little more definition in the edges, this piece would be pretty damn mint.
    MasterStryke - Despite the dynamic nature of the piece, I feel like a the vibrant palette causes one’s attention to be split too many ways. The palette feels like a distraction from the fact that there isn’t really a whole lot going on in the back of the creature. It becomes difficult to read and thus functions as movement. The rendered our areas of the creature at the front of it make me think that if more time were spent on this creature’s design and pose and the palette less eclectic, it would be very strong, but at the moment it’s simply difficult to look at.
    JanJager - This is a really strong piece. Palette, focal points, design and mood are all great and really seem to fit with the native american vibe of the dreamcatcher. The creature strayed almost into character territoru and I think that it’s tools could have been substituted with more natural extensions and it would’ve still worked. This was my second favorite of the batch this round.
    Ishren - Very eerie design. Focus on values more and up your brush size to make things a little more clear. At the moment there is a sense of scribblyness caused by too many low-opacity brush strokes and this will start to disappear with use of larger brushes. Making those wings more luminous would help give the piece a little extra punch. Try to establish a but of context if you can, too, in your next piece, even if that just means throwing a texture or gradient in the background.
    Wiggen - Design-wise, this is one of my favorites this round. It has such a good sense of movement in a slow, yet springy way. Your background objects could have used a large brush, they look a little bit too strokey at the moment, and I think the surface it’s currently on would have been a lot more tactile if you have reflected your creature in it a bit.
    Nethervoid - There’s a nice sense of the epic in your piece and I’m glad you decided to focus on values here because that was a problem in the previous couple of pieces I’ve seen from you. The guys in the back should be a little more faded into the background here and the piece feels a bit squished. Extending the canvas off to the right would have helped it feel better composed. As far as the creature itself goes, I’d study musculature a bit more, they look a little more like bulges put in the arm than muscles.
    o0Dave0o - As just a head this would have been really cool and very dreamlike. As a stand-alone creature I’m less convinced of it’s strength of design. That cloud brush is really obvious in this piece and gives it that custom brush overkill look to the background, and it makes the areas where the creature interacts with them look way rougher than they otherwise would. The main problem of the piece stems from the fact that the background just has more going on in it than the creature, so attention is taken away from where it needs to be. You have a big white light behind the creature, so take advantage of that. Get some really dynamic backlighting going on to make that creature pop. Get those edges as a focus of the piece, make the edges interesting to make the silouette of the creature the most dynamic part of the piece. Most of all, work back into your custom brush work. Like with texture overlays, if it’s all them and none of your own brushwork, it’s gonna look like that. The key is to use the custom brush and the texture overlay sparingly to accentuate your own painting abilities, not overshadow them like they tend to here.
    Moemoore - I think your simple style could really be pushed if you smoothed out your shading, or even made it cell cut shading. I don’t really see the deaminess of your piece so much and those clouds lack the tactility to form a surface for the creature to stand on so the piece feels a bit too much like things just are there, not that this is a real scene we can jump into.
    skullbeast While I think that this is a really strong rendering of yours and I think it’s a great piece overall, it strikes me as more a manifestation of a nightmare than a guardian. In terms of your rendering, I think a little less white needs to be used for highlights and there could be more variation of hue in the design. The blue feet are a really cool element and I think it would be great if that blue cropped up elsewhere in the design (stripes, spots, maybe just the spikes are also blue).
    SailorMooninite - Conceptually I think the piece is strong. It was a good idea that lacked the execution to really work well. The first problem is that you seem to have used a dissolve layer. Dissolve layers always look terrible to me, regardless of what’s going on. Secondly, there’s way too much black in the piece. Black already is something to be used sparingly, but here it’s taking up like half the piece. Finally, the dark side is too busy. There’s just too much going on for us to be able to read it, and because it’s the majority of the piece, it frustrates the eye. it’s a shame because the room in the back seems so strongly done and the concept is so good, it’s just that the execution of that dark half breaks the piece.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

40. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Si swe thanks! I was rigging off this line in the description "Design this creature that must fend off nightmares and worse. "

Members who have read this thread: 2