Tablet Concept

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tablet Concept

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tablet Concept

For a while I have been on the look out for a decent digital tablet and have yet to see anything I want.
    I made a quick list of the things I would like to see in a tablet aimed at artists.
    Let me know if you can think of any I have missed.
    I am not sure about the OS. Android or Win 7.
    The materials it is made out of would be similar to a high end digital SLR camera.

• Decent screen size 15-19"

• 1600x1200 res screen

• 4-8GB RAM

• Fast CPU (Core i7-2720QM 3.3 GHz)

• Camera (At least 3mp)

• fast storage drive (SSD)

• removable battery

• USB and wifi file transfer plus USB charging

• Fast GPU (GeForce GTX 480M)

• Wacom Pen

• Touch strip on back like the Cintiq plus two buttons

• Dial with button for quick menu navigation

Here is a little render of the sort of thing I am thinking about.

Tablet Concept

Tablet Concept

Last edited by 3dRocket; December 2nd, 2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: New image and spec's
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    217 views and no comments! It must be perfect and your all lost for words. ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks pretty cool (I especially like the mixture of multi-touch and pen feedback), but I'm not sure I like the cylindrical bulge on the left size, or the color choices. I'd go monotone, and make it so it can lay flat somehow, without losing the grip.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, thats a beautiful tablet concept

But for those specs, don't even think of putting android anywhere near it. Windows 7 is really your only option for an OS.

A little overkill on the specs though. A Machine that powerful would have horrid battery life. And the bump on the one side I'm guessing is to hold on to, but if that's the case its way too big given to screen dimensions to hold. And while some people like the incline, others hate it just as well.

My biggest change would be the screen size. 15-19 inches kills any portability for the most part. 10.4 inch screen would work perfect though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty cool. I've wanted something like this ever since the iPad was announced without official stylus support. Ideally, I'd prefer something the size of an iPad for more portability. At home I'd still want to use a Wacom with my desktop.

Something like this would be really cool if it was dedicated to digital art (ie: it boots straight into a custom art application). This way, the hardware could be optimized for a limited range of software functions, which would probably keep component cost down. Plus, if I'm working I don't want a distracting web browser a touch away. The software would need to have a nice combination of digital and natural media brushes, robust custom brush settings, and compatibility with all major desktop class file types for easy back-and-forth transfers.

It's always amazed me no one has released a product like this. Even something simpler like a dedicated, basic digital sketchbook. Is the digital art market really so niche?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I read somewhere that someone made a ipad application with touch sensitivity but it was using apples closed software library. So unless apple opened these library's to the public it could not be released. So its up to apple now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this concept. Definitely Win7 though, also the cylindrical bulge would be excellent as a grip point for the free hand, maybe add a few programmable buttons for hotkey functions. Also, I mentioned in another post, gorilla glass is a definite for any new slates to come out. I'd imagine the bulge could also house an extended life battery as well, research would need to be done to find a long life cell that doesn't get so warm. The camera right in the middle of the tablet back should be moved to the top right so when facing away from the viewer, the lenses falls in the vicinity of the left eye point of view much like a camera viewfinder. In all honesty, you should take this post down, too many people frequent this board, it won't be a shock to see your concept made into reality by a Shenzen bootlegger featuring Hanvon tech for the digitizer or even a more respectable manufacturer robbing the work. Unless you are any of these people already or have already submitted your design for patent, you should take this warning seriously. Even though slate tech for design has been around for years, the ipad and apples throngs of cult followers has shed a new light on the subject and a graphic design oriented slate is something that would definitely sell.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
    I read somewhere that someone made a ipad application with touch sensitivity but it was using apples closed software library. So unless apple opened these library's to the public it could not be released. So its up to apple now.
    TenOne Design (makers of the Pogo Stylus) are the ones who did it. It works by measuring the diameter of the input on the capicitive screen. So, when you push the foamy tip of an iPad stylus down harder on the screen, widening its surface area, the software will simulate greater pressure. They have a video on YouTube, it seems to work okay. But this still doesn't solve the issue of accuracy. Such a method would be far less refined than Wacom's pressure pen tech, for example. And you're still stuck with a capacitive touch screen which forces you to use the wide nubbed stylus with subpar tracking abilities for detailed line art. This is actually of much more concern to me than pressure sensitivity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NJR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would be more than happy for any company to copy this design and build a tablet like this. That was one of the main reasons for posting it. I would be first in line to buy one. :-)

I was thinking that the buttons on the back would be able to be assigned to any software function and the user would hold the grip in one hand with your thumb controlling the wheel and button and your fingers underneath on the other button and touch strip. The reason I put the camera in the middle is because it suits an idea I have for some drawing software I am designing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're on here too? Hehe you know my views on this thing and I just replied to your rpley on the wacom boards. I would buy this in a heartbeat.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.