Thanks

ohhh news con from nasa! could it be...

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I knew it, [insert universally hated celebrity here] is really an alien!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Note the wording:

"... to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life."

Sounds more like they found a method of detection, or a place to look, not an actual aminoacid protein glob thing.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Lol what they actually found was a microbe, that uses arsenic in its metabolism. Its really more about the fact that life on Earth may have started multiple times, and they are beginning to find life forms, that are fundamentally different from all the carbon based life we know about. Meaning the pre-requisites for 'Life' aren't as concrete, and therefore the possibility of extra terrestrial life is greater than we may have thought, and is increasingly possible on planets that we might have disregarded.

eg. Titan, Saturn's largest moon, has large lakes of methane, even though its not likely a place like that 'could' have life.

A lot of what will be changing is just how we define life and where we look for it. Like Prom said.

Thanks
    NASA Watch’s Keith Cowing writes that “[r]eliable sources within the Astrobiology community tell me that the announcement does indeed concern Arsenic-based biochemistry and the implications for the origin of life on Earth, how it may have happened more than once on our planet, and the implications for life arising elsewhere in the universe.”
    http://www.geekosystem.com/nasa-pres...rence-arsenic/

And a link from davi:
    http://skymania.com/wp/2010/11/alien...on-earth.html/
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; December 1st, 2010 at 03:09 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It might be 2pm EST right now, but I can't get the NASA TV thing to work. Anyways:

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...ow-it-on-earth

Thanks
    wonder what the bible has to say about this one.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    The microbe they found is not "fundamentally" different nor is it alien. It is definitely our, terran, native extremophile with a lot of close relatives, with the same fundamental structure and metabolism.

What it can apparently do, though, is use arsenic instead of phosphorus. Which is, on one hand, not very sensational: arsenic and phosphorus are very close chemical "brothers" with much the same properties. However, it can't be used by most lifeforms for two reasons. One is because As produces weaker As-As chemical bond than P-P one, and so DNA with incorporated As is more fragile than the normal P-based structure, and "ATAs", the arsenic version of the standard energy transmission vehicle in the cell stores less energy per bond than the usual ATP. The other is that unlike P, As poisons the thiol (-SH) groups that are important for a lot of enzymes. These two effects are responsible for arsenic's high toxicity: one for long-term effects and the other for acute toxicity.

So this microbe has managed to circumvent these two problems somehow. Perhaps it is less reliant on thiols for running its biochemistry, and so is less susceptible to acute toxicity of arsenic. If we suppose that it can avoid acute poisoning, then arsenic will inevitably be used in place of phosphorus, because our biochemical processes cannot distinguish between them at all, and As will be incorporated into its DNA and ATP and used in phosphorylation ("arsenation"?) processes. That's inevitable and happens in any organism that survived acute As poisoning. All that the microbe needs then is adjust to more fragile DNA and lower maximum energy available to biochemical pathways.

In essence, it is a normal extremophile procaryote which adjusted to functioning while permanently poisoned with arsenic. Just like others like it adjusted to functioning while being heated to 90 degrees C, or immersed in saturated brine.

I predict we'll find a lot of neat biochemical tricks in it, but nothing "alien" at all.

What this discovery means, and what most sensation-peddling sources are missing, is that we could have better ways to process toxic wastes from metallurgy and the like. For those, high arsenic content often prevents biological processing, and if we can make microbes tolerant to it by mimicking what this extremophile did, then it opens a lot of interesting tricks. But again, not a real sensation.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    so they want more funds
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    The tip of the implication-iceberg is the complete rewrite of our understanding of DNA. Life is always more complex than previously assumed. Which is why

Spaceflight won't be happening
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 438 Posts

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Serpian For This Useful Post: