Sketchbook: Back to Bay Six

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 51

Thread: Back to Bay Six

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Back to Bay Six

    Last edited by Stantz; October 13th, 2013 at 09:11 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 104 Times in 57 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    You're already getting better :-) Keep it up!

    I've viewed many many sketchbooks on here and it seems people take giant leaps once they delve into serious anatomy study. Good luck!

    It took me like three hours to finish the shading on your upper lip. It's probably the best drawing I've ever done.



    My sketchbook (it'll get good near the end)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by J@n!t View Post
    You're already getting better :-) Keep it up!

    I've viewed many many sketchbooks on here and it seems people take giant leaps once they delve into serious anatomy study. Good luck!
    Thanks for your reply and feedback!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Emonti - South Africa
    Posts
    2,449
    Thanks
    661
    Thanked 647 Times in 610 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Keep going these studies are looking very good! Can see some resemblence in those portraits and samual sponge looks really cool. Just keep up those studies!!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kidult View Post
    Keep going these studies are looking very good! Can see some resemblence in those portraits and samual sponge looks really cool. Just keep up those studies!!
    Thanks for your feedback, I will!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 41 Times in 40 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    those studies are looking good, the character design looks nice too.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_7 View Post
    those studies are looking good, the character design looks nice too.
    Too bad it's not original Merely from observation and 3D model. Thanks anyway!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    858
    Thanks
    350
    Thanked 286 Times in 234 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yea man keep going. Your on a good track learning anatomy.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ven S For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    329
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 93 Times in 81 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey man,

    I started about a year ago with no previous practice and looking at your stuff is like taking a look at my older stuff, I know that right now things can get very frustrating, but it gets better if you work at it. I promise The biggest advice I can give is work constantly, every day. Don't stop! Doodle on the bus, draw whenever you have a second and the results will show.

    The second piece of advice is to analyze the subject carefully, take your time and really look at it. Also don't rush into color until you're very comfortable with value studies and line work.

    Hope this helps, now draw some more !!!!!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to dracken For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    634
    Thanks
    475
    Thanked 234 Times in 214 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    This is my first post on here (haven't started a sketchbook yet), but I wanted to comment on your portraits. You did a great job in catching their likeness, even though you say that you're a beginner. I recognized the Christopher Walken picture before you even mentioned who it was. I find that amazing.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to bish0p2004 For This Useful Post:


  15. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dracken View Post
    Hey man,

    I started about a year ago with no previous practice and looking at your stuff is like taking a look at my older stuff, I know that right now things can get very frustrating, but it gets better if you work at it. I promise The biggest advice I can give is work constantly, every day. Don't stop! Doodle on the bus, draw whenever you have a second and the results will show.

    The second piece of advice is to analyze the subject carefully, take your time and really look at it. Also don't rush into color until you're very comfortable with value studies and line work.

    Hope this helps, now draw some more !!!!!
    It does help, and you gave me something to look forward to, to year from now on if I keep it up and work hard, thanks a bunch!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bish0p2004 View Post
    This is my first post on here (haven't started a sketchbook yet), but I wanted to comment on your portraits. You did a great job in catching their likeness, even though you say that you're a beginner. I recognized the Christopher Walken picture before you even mentioned who it was. I find that amazing.
    Thanks, and I'm looking forward to seeing your sketchbook here!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    329
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 93 Times in 81 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Good practice.

    I have noticed that on your eyes you still seem to simplify things a bit too much, try to observe a photo of an eye very carefully. Notice how the eye itself is round and how you can suggest that with different line strokes and shading.

    Also these tutorials might help:

    http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2009/05/draw-eyes/


    http://www.onlypencil.com/blog/tutorials/drawing-the-human-eye/


    Good luck and keep studying.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dracken View Post
    Good practice.

    I have noticed that on your eyes you still seem to simplify things a bit too much, try to observe a photo of an eye very carefully. Notice how the eye itself is round and how you can suggest that with different line strokes and shading.

    Also these tutorials might help:

    http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2009/05/draw-eyes/


    http://www.onlypencil.com/blog/tutorials/drawing-the-human-eye/


    Good luck and keep studying.
    Thanks for the tutorials, I should probably not get involved in the anatomy in the first place as now and focus on simple things, then move into values. At least that's my plan

    Last edited by Stantz; June 17th, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Wow, you're really great for just picking it up!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
    Wow, you're really great for just picking it up!
    Thanks for that

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  21. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    922
    Thanks
    480
    Thanked 408 Times in 391 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Great work! your doing well for someione who's just started. You will improve in no time.
    id suggest a different approach to rendering on paper, yours is looking really smudged and airbrush'ey. Maybe try cross-hatching or something. Just a suggestion tho.
    keepitup

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to tronrobot For This Useful Post:


  23. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tronrobot View Post
    Great work! your doing well for someione who's just started. You will improve in no time.
    id suggest a different approach to rendering on paper, yours is looking really smudged and airbrush'ey. Maybe try cross-hatching or something. Just a suggestion tho.
    keepitup
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll try that

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  24. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    367
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 79 Times in 64 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey man, good job on your studies so far. Keep it up and keep drawing from life.

    Sketchbook: There and Back again Updated- 7/04/12
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to MatthewHD For This Useful Post:


  26. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Over the rainbow.
    Posts
    247
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Interesting pencilworks Keep doing that, training your hands is good !

    Work around your edges too =)

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Trefle For This Useful Post:


  28. #21
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    The phone looks awesome; the life sketches are really coming along.

    Nothing Of Interest......Yet

    "Being remembered for living is worth dying for"

    Midnight's Sketchbook Feel free to rip my work apart constructively
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Midnight_Oil For This Useful Post:


  30. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Trefle View Post
    Interesting pencilworks Keep doing that, training your hands is good !

    Work around your edges too =)
    Thanks I will keep that in mind

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  31. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_Oil View Post
    The phone looks awesome; the life sketches are really coming along.
    It turned out decent enough for the first serious digital life drawing But could be a lot better.
    Thanks!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  32. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kristiansand, Norway
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    You have a great sense of three-dimensional shape, your hand sketches(i.e. sketches of hands) are especially good. And it's good to see you're unafraid to put some weight into it, but try not to use smudging for shades.

    Practice using only your pencil and avoid getting your finger on there, it'll look better and you'll have far more control over the nuances.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to Patsy02 For This Useful Post:


  34. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsy02 View Post
    You have a great sense of three-dimensional shape, your hand sketches(i.e. sketches of hands) are especially good. And it's good to see you're unafraid to put some weight into it, but try not to use smudging for shades.

    Practice using only your pencil and avoid getting your finger on there, it'll look better and you'll have far more control over the nuances.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind next time I'm drawing

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  35. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    394
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    last one looking nice!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  36. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    858
    Thanks
    350
    Thanked 286 Times in 234 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey man, you commented on my sketchbook along! time ago. Wanted to return the favor You have nice progress man. Just keep studying the basics, draw from life , and of course anatomy.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  37. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    212
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 65 Times in 65 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Last update seems like a big improvement to me as you're getting more right shapes with a lot fewer pen strokes, which is great !
    Just keep working hard on basics, as Loomis says "it'll pay big dividends ! " : D

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  38. #29
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,339
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    You're off to great start, keep working. One suggestion I'd recommend is to not smudge your pencil to get the shading. Yes it can be done and look good but most of the time when it's used it just looks messy. I'd recommend to just build up your gradient with many layers of cross hatching, that usually looks better and cleaner. Also you don't get your paper and your fingers all messy.

    Check out my sketchbook: Draw or Die

    Website: www.ericyoungillustrations.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  39. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Young For This Useful Post:


  40. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    >>Wanderer_ Thanks
    >>Shad- Hehe, yeah, I'm sure that they will pay, but boy am I stuck with them for now. Thanks anyway
    >>Eric Young Thanks for your critique, appreciate it. Next time I'm working traditionally I'm gonna pay more attention to it!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook