Sketchbook: An overture - Page 7
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: An overture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HI matey
    Good luck with the MSc It will be a long and painful struggle but worth it, The only advice that I would offer is that once a week make time to draw, or paint just for the sake of your sanity!

all the best, and keep on visiting and posting as and when you can.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Lightship,

Thanks so much for your words! I still have my life drawing class once a week and I will make time as much as I can for drawing. What I will definitely cut back on is time spent on Conceptart. I can decide between looking at art or try to improve my own, and I'll go for the latter. I had to realize that I am just not good enough to seriously consider an art career. I always thought I had a thing for it; but oh well!

@Gur Ghen: Thank you for mentioning my anatomy studies. I have been neglecting them for a long time because I was just copying, not learning. Will pick up on that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

never ending sb

update update. quick and painless.
    I did what I had always avoided: test my anatomy. turned out to be roughly what I expected. Watched Marshall Vandruff again, went back to Bridgman and I must say I was astonished how much I understand it now compared to a few months ago. My stuff from memory is still too flat and too focussed on muscles rather than form, but I intend just to study anatomy, bridgman and do as much from life as possible to incorporate it. I certainly found it useful at life drawing class this week. I also find still life absolutely invaluable to my understanding of form. It's just crazy how much I learn from it. Form, value, composition, colour... insane. I have more fun drawing a candle than people in the street. Who would have thought.
    Any comments or suggestions, feel free to talk.

I also did another acrylics still life, but I am thinking of doing some more work on it so, not uploaded this time. This is the quietest period of time in my first term, so I am trying to make as much use of it as possible.
    My pencil still life turned out to be a value-mush, wasn't happy about that at all.

Anna & Tomy
    Name:  IMG_0006.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  74.0 KBName:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  66.0 KBName:  IMG_0002.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  79.9 KBName:  IMG_0003.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  84.9 KBName:  IMG_0004.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  90.1 KBName:  IMG_0005.jpg
Size:  66.1 KB

Life Drawing
    Name:  DSC_0354.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  76.4 KBName:  DSC_0359.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  78.5 KB

Drawing from Life
    Name:  IMG_0010.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  46.1 KBName:  IMG_0009.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  88.7 KBName:  IMG_0008.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  62.0 KBName:  IMG_0007.jpg
Size:  26.6 KBName:  IMG_0011.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  73.5 KB

Still life
    Name:  IMG.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  127.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Somehow, your update makes me happy. Especially your words. There are so many people in the beginning who are just whining that still lives are sooo boring and I don't feel that way (anymore..?). Because even on simple objects you can see so many things happening. The world of values, colour and light is so great that no still life can be really boring in my opinion. It's a great way to develop a feeling for the form. So, it just makes me happy to read that you have fun doing them.
    The 50 min sketch of life drawing turned out to be great! I love the foreshortening of the legs and her upper body. Well done. And your sketches are making me want to take a look again at Bridgman to see what he can offer me now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JuliaMetzger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyavande View Post
    Somehow, your update makes me happy. Especially your words. There are so many people in the beginning who are just whining that still lives are sooo boring and I don't feel that way (anymore..?). Because even on simple objects you can see so many things happening. The world of values, colour and light is so great that no still life can be really boring in my opinion. It's a great way to develop a feeling for the form. So, it just makes me happy to read that you have fun doing them.
    The 50 min sketch of life drawing turned out to be great! I love the foreshortening of the legs and her upper body. Well done. And your sketches are making me want to take a look again at Bridgman to see what he can offer me now.
    It's nice to hear I make you happy with my post.
    Yeah I am absolutely with you on the still lifes. But earlier this year, when I had overcome my "omg they're so boring lulz" and started off with forms and shapes, it didn't make any sense to me what they were about. I thought "that looks like a bowl of apples. job done" and didn't really get much out of it. It took several weeks until I started realizing that I see more values, and that that was the key to seeing form (at least to me), not just knowing it is there. I always try to find interesting objects, but as you said, light and shade and colour make everything just fascinating! I can only recommend re-opening Bridgman, this is the third time I have done it and I think you get something new out every time, whatever your skill level might be. I owe you a sketchbook visit. Thank you!

For the sake of art, here is my pencil work from this evening. Boyfriend enjoying futurama.
    Name:  IMG_0012.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  99.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished my still life yesterday- only had about an hour.
    I'm not sure you can figure out what it is- two old Christmas candles in a wooden bowl.
    Name:  DSC_0099.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  78.5 KBName:  DSC_0100.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  82.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    I had to realize that I am just not good enough to seriously consider an art career. I always thought I had a thing for it; but oh well!
    Hum, not sure I like the sound of this. It smacks of defeatism and you don't strike me as the defeatist type. I know how tough it can be to have so many things going on in your life and just not enough time for art. But don't give up or imagine you don't have what it takes to improve to a professional level. Maybe there wont be as much progress as quickly but if you keep plugging away at it, you'll get there eventually.

Go back and look at the first page of your SB then look at your latest stuff and try telling me you don't have a thing for art girly!

Anyway, you probably don't need some stranger shouting at you over the internet so I'll shut up now and just say how much I like your updates. I really liked the painting you started of the trees outside your house - the pale trunks against the dark background was a nice effect - and also the study of the jars filled with yellow liquid on a dark and light background. Really nice handling of light there.

Your boyfriend sketches are looking good too along with your people studies. Keep those up when you can because you're starting to explore the light on forms and it's working wonders.

Keep working and good luck with everything!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dear LordLouis, friend in art! I just saw the post before that CandraH wrote and I just want to say that I know the feeling you described. I think many people who is struggling with an art career feel that way. I must say to you that your work in here makes me impressed and I really mean it! You give me huge inspiration with your great body studies and gestures. And the acrylic work is very nice. I especially like this one #158. It looks shiny, almost like copper. If you have a dream, donít give it up! Best regards!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Greenhouse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update

@Candra: Thanks for your comment. It's strangers on the internet that get me to this attitude in the first place. Reading about 10,000hour rule, or something like 18hrs/day * 5 years to reach professional level... wtf. I mean "professional" is a broad term, starting from "you got money for something" to Frazetta and Syd Mead. I get it that mastering this takes hard work and time, but getting it slapped in the face that I will suck for at least another 10 years? Meh. The stress is getting to me at the moment, and that doesn't help my attitudes either. Don't worry about it- I appreciate your comment, but yeah, don't worry about it. I whine alot and make drama where there is none. Nothing unusual :p . I won't be able to quit.. I just have come too far (from my perspective). Yeah I'm trying to see form where I can!

@Greenhouse: Hey, thanks for stopping by again. It's great to hear I am an inspiration for you, though I'm not sure how exactly. Todays update is absolutely messy! Thank you for the heads up on acrylics! I try to get more disciplined with mixing colours.

In general, I don't feel I am heading in a direction at the moment- maybe because I use many different mediums, no idea- but I just feel I am "hovering around". Doesn't my stuff look messy? Feel free to leave a comment!

Heads
Views: 344
Size:  67.6 KBName:  first (4).jpg
Views: 346
Size:  87.5 KBName:  first (3).jpg
Views: 342
Size:  70.7 KB

Random
    Name:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  40.4 KBName:  IMG65665.jpg
Size:  69.7 KB

Only drawing from life I managed
    Name:  IMG_0002.jpg
Size:  51.3 KB

Selfportrait & portrait.. yes.. don't say it
    Name:  first (1).jpg
Views: 340
Size:  64.6 KBName:  DSC_0360.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  55.0 KB

Life Drawing Class (last week & this week)
    Name:  DSC_0374.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  60.0 KBName:  DSC_0373.jpg
Size:  33.7 KBName:  DSC_0372.jpg
Size:  52.0 KBName:  DSC_0368.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  71.6 KB

10min/30min/30min
    Name:  DSC_0370.jpg
Size:  47.3 KBName:  DSC_0366.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  56.2 KBName:  DSC_0363.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  70.4 KB

Still lifes. One acrylics that I managed yay. An hour, a little less. 20 minutes just to get the blue wrong :p
    Name:  DSC_0377.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  37.1 KBName:  first (2).jpg
Size:  60.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    @Candra: Thanks for your comment. It's strangers on the internet that get me to this attitude in the first place. Reading about 10,000hour rule, or something like 18hrs/day * 5 years to reach professional level... wtf. I mean "professional" is a broad term, starting from "you got money for something" to Frazetta and Syd Mead. I get it that mastering this takes hard work and time, but getting it slapped in the face that I will suck for at least another 10 years? Meh. The stress is getting to me at the moment, and that doesn't help my attitudes either. Don't worry about it- I appreciate your comment, but yeah, don't worry about it. I whine alot and make drama where there is none. Nothing unusual :p . I won't be able to quit.. I just have come too far (from my perspective). Yeah I'm trying to see form where I can!
    Ech, internet drivel is what I call most of that stuff about how long you have to sweat before you become a pro. Don't pay it any mind. Find your own pace and stick to it. And yeah, professional is a very broad term. I've been paid for my illustration work and sold a good few paintings over the years but I don't think of myself as a pro. Far from it.

Fair enough, re the whining. I'll leave you alone about that, even though I get twitchy when I see a good artist so down on themselves. I deal constantly with self-doubt gremlins, mostly as a result of my shitty sight, but I use them to drive me forward and keep striving to improve so I know how that can be. But yeah, guess we all need to vent every now and again.

Those top set of head studies are great by the way, and messy is good in my book. It shows personality and that you're not just another perfect rendering clone.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

today

Hey Candra, thanks again for your comment I really appreciate that you are trying to talk me out of this- sometimes it gets the better of me! Yeah I need that vent sometimes, and the sketchbook seems so appropriate!
    Thank you for mentioning the heads- they're actually from Normal Rockwell- I liked the expressions and tried it as an exercise (the sheets are attached in exactly the opposite order they were drawn).

Update for today, was delighted to have some spare hours this evening!!
    I stocked up with new pens & cheap grey markers as my copic have run out.
    Everything from life as usual, apart from this odd bird thing..
Views: 319
Size:  43.7 KBName:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  66.7 KBName:  IMG_0002.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  96.7 KBName:  IMG_0003.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  114.0 KBName:  IMG_0004.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  60.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last update is really good matey.

you have some good anatomy back there but, you have nailed the apartment really well you have good solid perspective, anatomy and gesture in the BF studies and I like the mixer tap too. You so love your bathroom! first the bog now the taps it must be a haven of peace and tranquility in there ......................LOL

but there is one very important thing tht you really must do before you acrry on with anything... Buy a dishwasher! no one should have to face a mountain of crocks like that its inhuman!!

all the best my matey

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, lots of good stuff on this page! I especially like the anatomy studies and bottom still life in #183, as well as the two boyfriend-drawings in #191. The hatching you did on the "boyfriend on computer"-sketch works really well for me, especially on the left side of the bed/couch. My eye just keeps wandering to it, going "nice, nice". I think, for some sketches, that you could invest more in getting the big lines in the room right, such as the desk sloping towards the left, or the edge above the sink in "Washing up" being curved. It would take these sketches up a nice notch.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nouge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

art day

@Lightship: Thanks for coming back to me. I'll probably do more bathroom stuff in the future :p We just don't have enough shiny things around in the flat, and the bathroom is full of metal! Dishwasher is a no-no. Fully furnished student flat with bills included, no way we're getting one- either way, my bf gets to do his household dues!

@nouge: Hey, thank you very much for commenting! Yes you are right about the "big lines". I am sloppy and once I got it wrong, there is no way back. I actually committed the same offence a day after I read your comment. Ts ts~

So I had an art day, today. Mainly self portraits and screwing up painting!
    Candra H has sent me her entire acrylics collection after switching to oils, and boy I did not expect that!
    Name:  verynice.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  51.5 KB
    Thanks so much again, I am saving tons of money!!
    I posted the 3 steps of my acrylic self portrait- just to show that the transition from 2 to 3 is just awful. I just stop looking and am too concentrated to mix colours, I just chuck any form and perspective out of the window.
    Name:  IMG_0009.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  80.0 KBName:  IMG_0008.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  173.9 KB

Views: 295
Size:  66.5 KBName:  IMG_0007.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  48.5 KBName:  IMG_0006.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  45.9 KBName:  IMG_0005.jpg
Size:  51.1 KBName:  IMG_0004.jpg
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0003.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  103.1 KBName:  IMG_0002.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  100.9 KBName:  IMG_0001.jpg
Size:  85.4 KB

Name:  step1.jpg
Size:  62.1 KBName:  step2.jpg
Size:  56.6 KBName:  step3.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  42.0 KB

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

self portrait day, apparently

I have never done this many self portraits in two days..
    Normally I give up, but for some reason I am very resilient this time round. I just feel that getting it right is not a far away mystery but actually I know what I am doing wrong- I feel for example that my face is always a miniature face on top of huge ball-skull.. I KNOW where my cheekbone casts a soft shadow.. I just need to try harder!!
    What is a mystery to me though is my eyes. I am not asian, but I just don't know what I keep doing wrong. Yeah yeah I know the theory.

Size:  85.3 KBName:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  74.4 KBName:  IMG_0002.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  54.9 KBName:  IMG_0003.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  53.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really like your life pen sketches, packed with a lot of energy and expression. I think you are doing good work and making solid progress so don't stop and you can get there in the end. Even if its a long road its still fun along the way.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ja1307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So many self portraits! I'm impressed. Resiliency is a good thing. But it's a bit difficult to comment on them, because I've never seen you. Not even a photo to compare. So where's no chance that I can help you with the eyes. I just notice that there's no upper lid, that is what it makes asian looking. But I see some problems happening regarding the noses, especially in the last 4 portraits. The masses of them aren't really working for you, so the shading doesn't look right on the planes. Do you know this video by Proko tv? This helped me a lot to get a better understanding of noses (they are one of my big enemies). Maybe it can help you too to analyse the anatomy and planes.
    But it doesn't feel to me like the face is a miniature on the top of a ball skull. The size of the face is ok in my opinion, but there are some structural problems regarding the overall shape of the head. Maybe it could be a good exercise to draw a skull on top of the finished paintings and drawings, just to see how it fits - ot not. Could be done digital or with a transparent sheet of paper. Don't know what works better for you, but I think it is an idea.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JuliaMetzger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your life sketches! they are so alive! I also love they way you sketch people.
    But when it comes to close up portraits, you seem to be missing a bit. They seem to be a bit flat, especially on the eyes. Maybe take a look at some anatomy books, or try working from a (well exposed) photograph, and look good at the shapes and the shadows. Focus also on different parts of the face, especially the nose and the eyes in your case. Then try again with your selfportraits. I'm sure you will get better!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to xNatje For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,366 Times in 3,589 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's a sweet still life of your brushes. You say you don't get along with colour - try holding your brush at arms length with it loaded with paint up to the bit of what you're painting, now is too dark, light warm, cool? Remix and try again. You'll get faster and learn quicker that way that just dabbing on whatever colour you think it might be. It's easy to get it wrong as surrounding colours trick your brain and you need to learn to see beyond that.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

comments!!

@ja1307: Thanks alot! Thank you for the encouragement as well- I feel it is very hard to judge my own progress.

@Valyavande: Ah, thanks for your comments! I attached a photo of myself if it helps. Unfortunately, I always wear glasses. I take them off for self portraits because they reflect so much light and distract me from my face. I made the mistake and put the mirror too far away- I had a hard time seeing my eyes. Yes I know the Proko videos- I've seen them. They didn't teach me anything new (Its the same method Ron Lemen teaches) I just can't apply it The skull is an idea. I have my asaro head standing around usually- maybe I can make use of that. Thanks!

@xNatje: Yeah you are so right about this, and that is why I am sticking to self portraits right now. When I draw people, I can cheat and be imprecise- but the portraits reveal every single bit of form that I don't understand. Yeah... anatomy books ._. draw skulls.. again? Thank you!

@Blackspot: Thanks for stopping by again! That is such a useful tip, I will try this weekend when I manage still life again. I have started to mix more on the palette than I used to, but on canvas it's 100% a different colour again.

Alright I'll update with the little bits I did today. 2 sheets of this weeks ChoW challenge (I don't take part, just for myself), observation drawing toilet (it's lopsided again ) and selfportrait number square root minus one. And a picture of myself. 'blush'
Views: 267
Size:  66.3 KBName:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  75.9 KBName:  IMG_0002.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  72.5 KBName:  IMG_0003.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  77.7 KB

Last edited by LordLouis; October 8th, 2013 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aha, now I see where you're going wrong with your self portraits. You're not going far enough into the shadow shapes when you draw your features, like the corners of your mouth and where your cheeks join your nose etc. They're much bigger in the photo. I think it might be an idea, if you've got the books, to do some head construction exercises from Loomis to get the overall forms, and then applying that to your own head and face. You're a pretty girl so if you plan on doing more self portraits, you should really learn how to do yourself more justice.

P.S. I'm really pleased you're getting good use out of my paints. Those portraits above are good but Black Spot's advice about mixing colours and matching them to your subject is excellent. It's what I do and it really does help to get the colour right and also stop the painting looking too muddy with over mixed colours. Also, some black and white tonal paintings might be good practice for learning to paint the light on forms because you don't have to worry about getting the correct colour.

Great progress overall. Keep going and good luck.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The photo is really helpful to take a closer look at your self portraits. and I think, Candra already mentioned the most important things. Spend more time to explore your cheeks, in your drawings it's look a bit like you hesitated to use more shadows there. I know there is the evil thing, that faces tend to look wrong or to old if one overdo the shadows there, but they're crucial for the likeness and a naturalistic approach. And take some time for your hair! You're doing it always so fast, but you have so nice curls in there. You could use it as a wonderful frame in your drawings.

I know the problem about applying what Proko shows... I did knew all the stuff for years from Loomis. All the planes, the structure etc. I worked with it and failed. But something changed and now it works for me and it is great. It's becomes helpful now. Maybe it will even take some time for you. Keep it in the back of your head for an other day =)

36. The Following User Says Thank You to JuliaMetzger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    COR Blimey luv youre Georgeous!! blush! crikey did that come out loud? I must have broken my interior monologue again, bloody thing is so fragile!

Why do you own a lopsided bog for heavens sake? they are hard enough to draw as it is!!??

And what the hell happened to poor Thomas the tank engine!! sob! snivel! poor Thomas .......... I had to send my kids out of the room before they saw that he has been fighting for money again, its the drugs you see.....

hee hee hee I am going now the alchohol is settling in nicely and the TV beckons, all the very best darlin and oh by the way I did a quick sketch for you on my SB just cos you told me to.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking at the first page and the last shows a tremendous improvement you have made. Keep going, you will go far.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to karmazon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ill ill ill

Hey everyone, thank you so much for all your comments! It is so encouraging to have people watching and commenting, feels more like art class :p @karmazon: thanks a lot! Hopefully I'll go as far as I like to.
    @Lightship:

Regarding my self portraits: Thank you for pointing out my issues! I know I am very hesitant about my cheeks because I turn myself into a man everytime a shade to sharply. I have tried two more portraits, but I am wondering whether I should just stop trying for the moment- I mean I don't get the sketching stage right, why bother shading? I am worried that if I do too many bad self portraits without a clue, I will just learn bad habits rather than improve. Maybe it should do more form-control.

Update: I have only been able to draw very little because I am struck down by the flu- evil evil. I should get better this week though.
Views: 233
Size:  59.8 KBName:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  44.8 KBName:  IMG_0002.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  50.1 KBName:  IMG_0003.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  83.9 KBName:  IMG_0004.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  80.9 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi lordlouis

Thanks for popping by my sb and leaving a comment. Just gone through yours from the first page to the last and I must say there is a h-e-a-uuuge improvement, you're very diligent in your studies and it's normal to have peaks and troughs in your development you'll get used to it in time .

I just wanted to let you know the highlights for me (apart from your anatomy studies and trolls) were your last SP in post #82 (pg3), you said you weren't sure about colour but it looks like you've got the basics down and using the purple background with the yellow in the skin and the loose pinks and highlights work really well with your lines, it has a lovely energy. Of course it needs more work to be a finished piece and maybe some subtle greens adding to it but essentially it's a greast start.

Also your Bruce Almighty gif in post#107 is sweet and your life drawing in posts #141 and #165 are great, nice lines and proportions. Keep up the good work and carry on with the gestures they're important to help you loosen up and get quicker at getting the information you need using less lines. Have you tried the Spartan Camp in Challenges? that's a great thread for gesture drawing tips and encouragment

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; November 8th, 2012 at 10:20 AM.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job on the latest hands studies they are never easy. You have really payed attention well to the planes and the anatomy. You are def improving a lot these latest portraits show a lot of progress and you rendering has improved leaps and bounds since the start of this thread. Just keep it going even when you have your doubts, we all do, just don't let them stop you working or you really wont get where you want to and can be. Happy improving.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to ja1307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my SB.

A lot of good stuff here. I'd just encourage you to spend more time on your drawings. More thinking and looking.

Good luck, keep pushing.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to dracken For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,366 Times in 3,589 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As an exercise instead of drawing lines, go straight into doing the shadows. Maybe try some charcoal and fun getting messy.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! First I want to thank you for the Bammes ref you posted in my sb! It’s a great hand study and it will definitely come to use.

You recommended Bammes books some time ago, so I thought I would give it a try. I went to the library and got some help from the lady behind the desk. She looked in the database and told that there was no such author in this library. In fact there was only one book to borrow in whole of Sweden. So I ordered that book hoping it would be accurate for my purpose, cause it was in German so I didn’t really understand the meaning of “Figurlichen Gestalten” (the name of the book), but it gave me a little clue and I ordered it. Two weeks later it arrived and I went picking it up. So now I’m sitting here with the book next to me. I don’t understand the text but it’s not very important because it’s the images that are interesting. This book contains a variety of different artists and famous images from 1400- century to modern time. In fact there isn’t much work from Bammes himself. I suppose there are more books than this one. What’s the name of the books that you’ve studied? Tomorrow I have to return it to the library, because it’s over due and I hope I don’t have to pay any penalties…ehm! So this was the little story about the book you recommended, quite funny in my opinion. Thanks for that!

And just for straightening it out, these gave me the inspiration I was writing about in my last post, #63, #82, #87, #141. It’s the body studies and the gestures in them that are interesting. Great work!
    I really like the Rockwell head studies and the charcoals in #189. Keep up the good work!

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Greenhouse For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 24