Thanks

Applying to Ringling and Calarts. Portfolio advice?

By the way I'm new so hello everybody
    This is not my finished portfolio but it's all I have so far. All advice is welcome and appreciated.
    http://daygull.carbonmade.com/projects/2934261#1

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Your perspective work is off, your figure drawings look deformed. The 3rd and 4th pieces are O.K., but the rest, especially your figures near the end shows a severe lack of practice and poor observational skills.

Thanks
    Keep working hard! You're moving in the right direction. There's plentry of help in the Ringling board if you're looking for advice, maybe make a sketchbook here on CA as well for some crits?
    Good luck!

Thanks
    I go to ringling.

youll get in.

keep drawing from life.

good luck.
    Art and kindness are my weapons of choice.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    much thanks!

Thanks
    dont worry ,,, you can make it !!!! your figures does look nice ... practice more and more figures !!! you will definitely get into the college which you like if you work harder ..
    the future is mine

Thanks
    Threads like this should be posted in an art critique forum like Sketchbooks. Art Schools and Education is for talking about schools, not portfolios.

But... since I'm here.... (:

My two schools that I applied to were Ringling and calArts. I got into both and went to ringling where I am now a third year. If you haven't already I would recommend checking out the animated buzz forums, http://animatedbuzz.com/ they're populated mostly by people trying to get into cal arts and were an amazing support when I was going through the application process. Found a lot of really good intimidating and inspiring work over there too. CalArts doesn't really look for the academic style of figure drawing but rather a personal interpretation, risk taking, and experimentation, done right of course and founded in strong observation. Ringling looks more for strong observation, if you can take that observation and put a twist on that it's a plus I suppose. At least you're doing figure drawings. That's by far the most important thing - especially for calArts.

As far as your skills go, it looks like you're actually in a pretty good place. Yes, the perspective is off in your interior works, but you don't have to put those in. Figures matter more. A big thing that stuck out was the wonkiness of the portraits. Studying up on facial structure and applying it to your drawings would really help you there. Mostly it's just the placement and relationship of features like the eyes and also drawing them in perspecitve. These are technical matters that can be fairly easily worked out if you put the extra attention in and keep an eye on what you do. The figures are actually pretty good I think. Yes, the proportions don't work in some of them/are a bit odd, you tend to rely heavily on the outline of the form, and your shading is shaky - what I mean by that is you do not have solid masses of light and shadow and strong shading shows up everywhere.... but a fair amount of your figures just feel good. There's some where you getting a good sense of being, of weight, presence, action, and life - and really ultimately that's all you really want, tools like perspective, shading, proportion, line quality, they're all just ways to get there.

1- Ok...
    2- OK...
    3- VERY NICE. by far your best piece. great sense of weight and life in this. Get your whole portfolio to feel this strong!
    4- A pretty solid observational piece. Maybe one or two of these in your portflio, keep it mostly figures/living beings
    5- not compelling and not done all that well technically. Perspective issues. Shading not cohesive.
    6,7,8,9- facial structure! facial structure! facial structure! The eye area especially. Some nice line variety on 8 though, get that into your others.
    10- Pretty alright
    11- weird proportions. looks like you started big and shrunk it down as you went to fit it on the page. If things get cut off they get cut off, it's not the end of the world. Don't ruin your piece because you think you have to get everything on the page every single time.
    12- pretty alright. connecting forms could use work like the arms to torso. the pushed proportions don't bother me either and I don't think they'd bother the guys at calArts much. I think you're relying too much on line though in boxing in your form. Draw through it more and play up the line where it's important and play in down in the more delicate places.
    13- cool. good calArts piece. ringling might not like it though, I don't know. It does get floaty and feels unweighted where she's sitting
    14- pretty solid observational piece...
    15- pretty alright. This is one of those things that would be better for ringling over calarts.
    16- toss it.
    17- meh. color doesn't add anything better than what we started with and as a rendering it doens't particularly stand out. You covered this ground better in your page of hand gestures.
    18- weak relationships within the body. shading is superficial and doesn't add to the piece.
    19- ok gestures... watch proportion and most of all DRAW THROUGH THE FORMS! Not only are outlines restrictive they are also weak and they will strangle the life from a drawing quickly if not used smartly and sparingly.
    20,21- toss it.
    22- a much better gesture page than 19. you're getting depth within the figure through effective overlaping in the figure on the left and strong action within space with the one on the right.
    23- nothing great here. As portfolio pieces too these piled pages get confusing. Don't be afraid of starting another page. Paper is cheap, especially when you compare it to college. Also, when you get a good figure you don't want a bad one overlapping on the page with it. You portfolio is only as good as the worst piece in it.
    24,25- toss it.

Overall your shading is very superficial and noisy (in that it changes between light and dark too much). You want shading that supports and describes the form, in space and how it relates to other forms.

You've got a month. If I were you I'd haul ass in the figure drawing department. Draw every opportunity you get. When you can't draw figures work on you portraits, go draw some real life animals, zoo or pets, and some people watching too if you've got the time. 4 and 14 are probably strong enough observational pieces/still life pieces. I'd make the rest life drawings (figures, people, animals, things that breath and that are really in front of you). I'm pretty sure you can do better work than a lot of the ones that you have in your portfolio. You've got enough time to make everything in your portfolio once over, if not twice or thrice over, which would be a good thing to do, and then choose from the absolute best. You're close to it. Keep pushing yourself and get out of your comfort zone.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you SO MUCH. That is actually some of the most helpful advice I've heard recently even better than some professors I've had who barely ever told me anything. I'm going to all the figure drawing classes I can manage (including one tonight) and hopefully I'll be able to apply the things you've said successfully. Sorry about the wrong forum I'll be more aware of that next time.

About Ringling and Calarts, obviously either way money is an issue. Does one of them tend to give out more scholarship money than the other or are they pretty much the same? I have to manage to shave off 10k for my parents to consider letting me go.
    Oh and I have some new drawings now and I made a new thread in the critique section

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=201844
    Last edited by daygull; December 2nd, 2010 at 01:43 AM.

Thanks
    It's cool, we were all new once. (:

In my experience of watching the acceptance letters roll in and people posting on forums back in '08 it seemed that, at least back then, calArts gave out more money overall. But nothing huge. Help varied a lot, from nothing, to 1K to 6.5K etc to 15K (the highest I saw). It seemed that more people got financial aid from them, but it just was in the small amount range 1-7K. Ringling gives a presidential scholarship to the best application in each major. It was 10K when I got here and now I think it's been upped to 12 or 15K. They've also just started giving these scholarships of 10K to a few applicants in CA as well through some sort of partnership with Dreamworks and I would imagine that they would continue them into this year. Other than those, aid from the school tends to be low I think, maybe a few thousand if you get anything.... All this information just comes from sporadic hearsay of course. You've just got to fill out your FAFSA and see what comes back in the spring.... I think calArts bases scholarships off of just portfolio while ringling might use both portfolio and academic history like gpa.

Work study (working a job on campus, I work in the mailroom, some work in admissions, etc) can help knock off an extra 1-2K a year, like any part time job, and living off campus is always cheaper. In fact, living off campus can save you several thousand dollars a year. I live on campus in the most expensive housing too, but since I have a kitchen I don't have to buy the meal plan, and even just that saves me a significant amount of money.