Choice between 2 tablet pc's. Help please!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Choice between 2 tablet pc's. Help please!

Hi everyone,

I've been reading about tablet/slate pc's for artists for a while now and I know there already has been a discussion about these but that was some time ago. I'm planning on using the tablet as a digital sketchbook during my daily 2 hour commute (1 hour one way).

I have 2 options on Ebay: the Motion Computing LE1600 (which everyone seems to be very happy with) or the Fujitsu Stylistic ST5032D (of which I can't find that much reviews by artists but Jason Chan seems to like it).

The LE1600 would cost me about 400€ (525$) (tablet itself is 340€ but I would have to buy a new pen as is it doesn't come with the original one) and the Stylistic about 300€ (395$). What I've been hearing about the LE1600 is that it gets really hot and the battery only lasts for about an hour. But then again, it has a View Anywhere screen. The Stylistic does not have the indoor/outdoor screen so that might be a big problem though I have no idea how good the standard screen is.

Is the Motion really worth the extra 100€ (130$)? It has lower specs but most likely a better screen. It also seems to me that the LE1600 is sturdier.

I'm really torn and can't decide I'm leaning towards the LE1600 because I've read so many great reviews but then again, the price difference is huge.
    I hope someone can give me some more insight into the matter.

Kind regards and thanks in advance,

Stijn

Last edited by thenass; November 29th, 2010 at 08:50 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Stijn,

I have a used LE1600 and have had it about 6 months and it is great. as far as the battery time it lasts up to 21/2 or so hours depending on CPU intensive activity. I got the extended battery (used) and it extends the battery up to 5 hours or 4 if you are doing graphics related activity.

I don't have any input on the Fujitsu as this is the first Tablet PC. Though I am using Fujitsu pen drivers as the Wacom ones were not working well.

The LE1600 gets warm but I have not seen it as being uncomfortable. the VA screen is amazing though in all lighting conditions.

Performance wise it is flawless, it is running XP Tablet edition.

~John

John Garrett
    Illustrator-in-training

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the feedback. After doubting and doubting I decided to go for the LE1600.

Members who have read this thread: 1