Unsure of my next step, please help.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unsure of my next step, please help.

Hello, CA. This is my first post here so apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I'm just wondering about a few things as I've reached the point in my life we're I'm being told I need to think about what degree I'm gonna go for in College. So far I'm doing a general Fine art course that is the very basics of drawing and scultping, ect, to me, this is all boring and too general. I mostly paint digitally, and as you can imagine, they don't teach any of that. So, I'm coming to the end of this year and I have some choices I can take. Illustration, 3D Design or the course above this called Foundation fine art which is supposedly a more advanced version of the course I'm currently on.

Now, I've always wanted to be a concept artist, but with that are complications, such as where I live and what is actually involved. I'd rather draw a final piece than do turn arounds and more technicall things like worrying about how something on a character/Creature actually operates.

So this puts Illustration in a good place. I like the title Free lance illustrator, it's much easier to put across what I'd do, in comparison to video game concept artist that works in-house. I'm starting to see some upsides, of course working from home is one of them. I'd love to get jobs from WoW TCG, Wizards of the Coast and the like and see my finished work out in the world, if you know what I mean.

Onto graphic design...this does sound like it revolves around...graphics, and design, which sounds like Concept art and Iluustration. However, I think this is more of a designing CD and Magazine covers kind of deal.

So. To the basics. I'm doing a general study of fine art right now.
    My next steps can be:
    Fine art advanced
    Graphic design (Not too keen.)
    Illustration

What course would be best for Freelance Illustration (Or perhaps concept art, as I'm still pondering on that route) that could lead me into drawing stuff like this:

(Daarkens work)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well since noone else has replied I will start with the standard "noone can make the decision for you" just to get things rolling. Then you have to figure out really what you like and move in that direction. My advice is check out the work of the students who are ahead of you in your prospects. If their work is close to what you want then head in that direction. All in all it is what you make of it, even if you do find sculpture boring it can give you a deeper understanding of 3 dimensional form that many people dont have. So look into the departments and find out what the classes are (sit in a few) and see if they are what peaks your interests and you think will push you in the direction you want. Drill the department heads for degree goals, check the syllabus for individual class types and direction, check the student work, and talk to teachers (ask if they allow digital illustration). Many places don't teach focus on digital work but the knowledge and skill in fine arts, drafting, illustration or whatever will easily translate to digital, in fact most suggest don't even bother with digital until you have some tangible art skills. Best of luck to you hope you find your spot.

My Website I am available for work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, thanks for the post. What I am worried about however is that most of the work that I seen pinned up on the walls, though it may not be the best way to judge the Illustration course, were things like book covers and things of that nature, more abstract things rather than full on drawings.

So I have a question. I don't see the point in being talk illustration at a college. I don't see what there is to learn or gain from someone telling you about the different ways to lay something out or teaching you typography related things.

So, would it be better to find a course that JUST teaches you how to DRAW better? Afterall, that's really all that I want to do. Illustration vs a Life drawing class, perhaps?

Again thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pull a couple kids from your school aside and talk to them. Inform yourself as much as you can about every single option available to you and sit and think about what program will help you to grow in the direction you want. Every illustration program I have seen includes life drawing in one way or another. Like I said, talk to teachers, department heads, look it up on their websites. See the course material, classes offered and think of how that will benefit you and push you in the direction you want to go. Some schools may think illustration is more focused on book covers and others might think its childrens books, but you have to find out for yourself. Just dive into research and make an informed decision. Ask them "I want to make really awesome ninja assassin zombie bears that look real enough to kiss, will this program help me with understanding lighting, color, line, and form in the way that will make this more then possible, and what classes specifically are created to address these needs for skill development" for example (maybe leave out the zombie bear part). But its all up to you homeslice, just start heading in more specific direction if its not looking to good bend the other way, but always be as informed as possible.

My Website I am available for work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would cut out the graphic design option. You already feel like that isn't your thing. Why keep it as an option. Besides, the picture you posted (which is excellent btw) is fantasy art. So you could either do illustration or concept art.

But, like Ryan said, it's really all up to you. Do what feels right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help so far guy's. Yeah, graphic design does seem to be falling behind in regards to advantages compared to Illustration, ect. We'll I guess it's up to me. However, I would love it if people did still post if they have any words of wisdom, every little helps. (And yeah, the pic is awesome, all credit goes to Daarken, oh how I envy him ;P)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.