Sketchbook: Mr. Luckylegs's Cookie Jar(sketchbook)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mr. Luckylegs's Cookie Jar(sketchbook)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mr. Luckylegs's Cookie Jar(sketchbook)

I am starting to sketch more now. I'm trying to keep myself inspired and open for new ideas. I'm on the road to becoming a concept artist/animator. So,please do not hold back!

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Mr. LuckyLegs; November 28th, 2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Resized images
    "I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." -Edison-

Take a peek(Sketchbook):http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201599
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry about the size.

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." -Edison-

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't be sorry, load the pictures up in a drawing or image editing program and shrink the suckers. Paint.net and GIMP are free to download. You want the pictures to be somewhere between 600 and 1000 pixels on the widest side. If possible, make a copy of your pictures folder so that if you accidentally mess up you still have a big version to work with.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm....will do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can i ask how long uve been drawing for?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a long way to go, but that's all right, since everyone starts from somewhere.

At this point your drawings are too naive... let me elaborate. Look at the two portraits, the guy and the girl (I presume). Did you draw them from photos? Let's assume you did. Is that how they looked in the photo? I bet they didn't look like that. That wouldn't be so bad, because making perfect copy of the photo is not art, but you didn't even try. You are beginner, so it's understandable to lack technique and knowledge how to build the head, but you could have forced yourself at least to draw what you see. These drawings do not show any effort at all. I think that you will benefit from working with Betty Edwards - Drawing on the right side of the brain. This book is, from what i understand, just for people at your level, who draw without really thinking about what they are supposed to draw. You really have a lot of work to do, so get the book and start doing the exercises. Read everything and analyze it and think when you are drawing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Vari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Food View Post
    can i ask how long uve been drawing for?
    Off and on for years as a pass time,but now I'm trying to get serious about it,so I put some sketches out here to see where I'm at,why?

Last edited by Mr. LuckyLegs; November 29th, 2010 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew Loomis wrote some great books about the human figure in terms of construction shapes and volume. Might help to look them up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few more sketches that I had.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Mr. LL, I think you should really take what Vari said. I actually picked up the book Vari mentioned and it has helped me tremendously. I am currently working through it now and am really enjoying it as well as learning from it.

If you wanted, I'd be down to pair up with you and we could push/challenge ourselves to make daily sketchbook posts and be consistent about this. Let me know if that would interest you. It seems that you and I are at a similar illustrating level.

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK,Let's do it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a nice start to a sketch book my friend, now just keep drawing and watch your skills grow! Start/keep drawing from life as much as possible, its more difficult...but no pain no gain! right? lol. And overall everything else, keep your confidence up and dont let other peoples remarks/comments bring you down, just take from it positively. Confidence is key. I'll recommend the book I recommend to most, its "Bridgman's complete guide to drawing" by George B. Bridgman. Best book ever and it covers the full anatomy of the human figure and even goes into drapery. I picked it up on amazon for 16 bucks. The best of luck to you, and dont put down the pencil!

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
    Matthew 7:3-5

Sketchbook

Email>>MRRhoades@rocketmail.com

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhoades For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff man. If you want to get serious about all this, you should as they say get right into the figure, and also try to work with perspective. I recomend Vilppu for the figure, he has a great book and several videos. For the perspective, there's a Gnomon Dvd by Feng Zhu that is very good.
    Try to break everything into polygons and practice a lot, you're doing great.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lennon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chiaroscuro

I'm attempting to learn the Chiaroscuro and Sfumato technique.

Last edited by Mr. LuckyLegs; December 5th, 2010 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good, you could try using more defined lines thought : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks,Chiaroscuro is about not using them. It's about using soft edge and hard edge shadows to define the form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Lucky, good to see the work. I never knew about the Chiaroscuro technique, so I looked it up, and it's pretty interesting; it really shows in all the old master works.

I hope you can really spend time working on this technique over the next couple of weeks so that we can see the progress!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr. Luckylegs, where's our updates?! Hope all is well.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face More...

Long work days, but the holidays will give me time to catch up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey good work man. Would love to see some figure studies and the likes. It's cool that Syle's going to team up with you, he's a cool dude. Use that to your advantage.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More goodies...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there!

Looks like you're focusing on drawing details right now, when you should be learning structure. When you teach yourself by copying photographs, you learn how to draw distorted, flat objects! (believe me, I know. I had to struggle to unlearn it). My advice to you is to abandon your path! Draw from life. Set up those god awful still lifes and ask your friends to sit for you. Don't dig a hole for yourself by learning incorrectly from the start.

Good luck!

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

26. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwigarbage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm working on those too, good observation. Real life sounds good. I'll try to get out and sketch real life and also set those still life up around home. Thank you!!

Last edited by Mr. LuckyLegs; December 31st, 2010 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy News Year's, more sketches to come next year!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some still life of my boy Stiffie the wooden model

I created a single light source from a candle to help sketch Stiffie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Using Bryce

Today, I decided to add some pieces from a Bryce program that I used.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink mo goods

trying out a online tutorial

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.