Andrew Loomis Head Drawing Question

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Andrew Loomis Head Drawing Question

Hello,

I think everyone knows Loomis and his famous ball aproach to construct the proportions of the head correctly. I studied the Loomis books before but after an unsuccessful portrait drawing I decided to go over it again and brought the books down from the shelf.

Well, in short, I realized that, I am unable how to correctly get a slice from the sides of the sphere as Loomis does. Does anyone know how to get the slice from the sides of the sphere out perfectly? I believe the portion of the slice that you take out is crucial about correctly structuring the whole head. If the slice is narrow the face looks so wide if the slice is wide the face looks narrow. The slice must be taken out in a way that the face looks not narrow nor wide. Does anyone one know the trick? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 2,393 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    THe goal is to use it as a guide to show you the top front and side planes of the head. Even loomis doesn't use it exactly the same way every time. You have to use it in conjunction with observation or other theory like width to height measurements for accuracy. Once you learn proportion well enough you can forego all the guides and just draw the head the way you want to.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The loomis ball was one of the first tricks I learned. It is just one simplification upon many and as dpaint mentioned, it can be used in many different ways. It is important to know a lot of different ways of seeing an object (like a head) in order to be flexible and able to pick the methods that are best for what you are trying to do in whatever image you're using. The loomis ball is just a way of seeing it. It is a trick, not a method. Don't take it too seriously - learn the lesson it is teaching and move on.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Robotus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok. thanks for the answers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahah dude i remember when studying Loomis, I had the exact same question. I guess I just always eyeballed it. Sometimes the results were pretty wonky because of where I would place that slice. Everything else seemed to hinge on that. In all reality the skull is more egg shaped I think..

But one thing that helped me is to get a skull model to work from. Do a bunch of skull studies mixed w/ head construction and you'll figure your own way

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Frank For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 681 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Umm, loomis is a guideline. Combined with observation, to equal what you are trying to do. He's not an end all be all because not all faces & heads are alike. He gives you a starting point and a reference.

That's it.

Last edited by OmenSpirits; December 2nd, 2010 at 12:46 AM.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From what I remember when I learned from that fine book is what everyone else is saying.

The circle you make dose not have to be perfectly circular it can be oval or squarish as well. Might help you make the face shapes you want.

Just remember that the general spacing rule for eyes. Eye space, eye, Eye space, eye, Eye space. Sure that rule can be broken but its one that you should follow. It will help you to know where to cut off the sides.

Attached Images Attached Images  

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CrazedIvan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazedIvan View Post
    From what I remember when I learned from that fine book is what everyone else is saying.

The circle you make dose not have to be perfectly circular it can be oval or squarish as well. Might help you make the face shapes you want.

Just remember that the general spacing rule for eyes. Eye space, eye, Eye space, eye, Eye space. Sure that rule can be broken but its one that you should follow. It will help you to know where to cut off the sides.
    Thank you CrazedIvan,

So do you know how to understand or how to measure the distance between the eyes when the head is in a 3/4 view? I know when you are looking the face directly from a 90 degrees angle, the space between each eye is one eye. But I think this rule changes when the head is in 3/4 view. It's always a pain for me to detect the correct distance between the eyes when the head is in a 3/4 view.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is still one eye width. The width of the space between the eyes is reduced by the same proportion as the eyes themselves, so the eyes are still an accurate measure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 3igAnt View Post
    Thank you CrazedIvan,

So do you know how to understand or how to measure the distance between the eyes when the head is in a 3/4 view? I know when you are looking the face directly from a 90 degrees angle, the space between each eye is one eye. But I think this rule changes when the head is in 3/4 view. It's always a pain for me to detect the correct distance between the eyes when the head is in a 3/4 view.
    Yeah, that's the part that always confuses me. More specifically, Loomis helps you locate where the eyes and mouth and etc will be placed by drawings the circle and browline and etc , but I don't understand how Loomis accounts for foreshortening (when the head is at an angel). Whenever I post a portrait here on conceptart, everyone complains that my eyes are too short, or my mouth too long

Personally, I am not attached to Loomis and am interested in any other methods people might use, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzthefox View Post
    It is still one eye width. The width of the space between the eyes is reduced by the same proportion as the eyes themselves, so the eyes are still an accurate measure.
    No comprendo. Could you maybe demonstrate with a sketch, please?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, no time to upload a visual aid. Try to think of it this way:

If you divide a ruler into thirds and turn it at an angle to your field of view, each third of the ruler is foreshortened equally, yes? The eyes rest on more or less the same plane on the face, so the same principal applies (although perspective modifies it slightly). Think of the ruler as representing both eyes and the space between them.

Perspective and the rounding of the face mean this won't be a precise measure, but thinking of it that way might get you in the ballpark.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzthefox View Post
    If you divide a ruler into thirds and turn it at an angle to your field of view, each third of the ruler is foreshortened equally, yes?
    No. It's not like it gets smaller equally, the proportion between the points change. Perspective distorts by distance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe I mentioned the effects of perspective. So did Loomis.

Any quick and dirty rule is going to come up short for accuracy.

However, I think the ruler analogy makes the effects of perspective easier to visualize, so I stand by my statement.

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A demonstration would be perfect. How do you decide how much foreshortening is needed ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think some of the information provided on this site would also be used in the perspective of face that would solve some misteries http://www.sketchwiki.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello. I wanted to revive the thread with a silly question of mine. According to Loomis, about halfway up from the point between the brows to the top center of the head we get the hairline. Thus we see the forehead, the length of which is equal to the length of "nose" equal to the "chin". Now, how should I measure the length of a forehead (as a bend line or as an imaginary straight vertical line)? ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Measure the forehead across the sphere...

Grinnikend door het leven...

Members who have read this thread: 21