Thanks

Copyright question...? Covered by fair use?

I've been doing some off and on portrait painting, for practice. I recently decided I wanted to paint Clint Eastwood, so I did- using a photograph, or possibly even a movie still.

The painting can be found HERE.

I was thinking that there might come the time that I want to show someone an ability to accurately portray a likeness- and I can think the only way to do this is from a photograph/movie still (because no one knows what my grandma looks like). Not saying this one particularly, but if I wanted to use one for a portfolio would I be allowed to.

Originally I had thought this kind of thing was covered by fair use, but even if it is I have to cite my source, right?

I think this is a good time to have this discussion, and having (at least tried- I'm not the best with search engines) the search engine on this site I've come up with nothing. How would I cite this?
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    Clint Eastwood! You feeling lucky, punk? Yeah, but just use it. Regardless of the letter of the law nobody will be remotely concerned, and Clint himself is too old to shoot you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    ... and Clint himself is too old to shoot you.
    Not counting on it .
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Isn't it okay as long as you're not making money off of it? That's what I always thought anyway.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Q', first off, whether you make money off it or not, fair use applies in specific instances.

Usually, as a portfolio piece to demonstrate skills, and you're painting from a photograph/still, you're okay. It would be proper etiquette to cite the original source and copyright if you know it. You can not sell the rights or make a profit in any way from your piece without specific written permission of the original copyright holder.

If you're doing a critical or historical written review of someone's art or an art movement, fair use allows you to use photos of the art you're discussing, as long as you cite copyright and proper artist. If you advance to the point of publishing this material, you're still on fairly safe ground because it's editorial fair use, but most people prevent future problems and misunderstandings by verify the use with original copyright holders at that point because a possible financial gain is involved.

Copying another artist's work for educational purposes is narrowly considered fair use, as long as you NEVER site the result as your own piece. It must always be identified as a copy of XXXX's "XXXX" plus the original copyright. You cannot declare the copy as your original property or attempt to copyright it, and you can never use it for financial gain.

Generally, anything a student does that is remotely a legitimate attempt to learn his craft, and if the results are NEVER used for financial gain other than as portfolio pieces to win a job, is safe ground. Just make it clear that it was done from specific reference that was not yours.

What it boils down to is--IF you feel really uncomfortable, don't do it to be on the safe side, especially in cases where you may gain wide exposure of your efforts. As a student, think of it as a piece of homework that can't be done any other way and will be "tossed away" (not literally) once it serves its training purposes in your education.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post: