Thanks

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows-part 1!

Went to see it with a friend and friends of his yesterday. Anyone else has been agreeably surprised? I know I have been because I expected less having somehow not really liked (or disliked) the previous films.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I wouldn't say I was surprised, but I did like it a lot. In most cases, it was wonderfully faithful to the book. Which is both a blessing and a curse, since the movie really felt like only half of a story, and left me unsatisfied and impatient for part 2.

As for anticipating part 2, all I can say is that I hope they're as faithful to the climactic scenes as is humanly fucking possible.

Spoiler: I'm disappointed that Wormtail didn't get strangled by his metal hand, as he did in the book. That was a great death for his character.
    Last edited by Moai; November 29th, 2010 at 03:03 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    I guess being a huge fan boy of Harry Potter books/audio books (Stephen Fry) ruined it for me, but to be fair i wasn't expecting a 3 hour movie adaptation to include everything that make the books so great.

Great CG work throughout especially with Kreacher. Overall the movie wasn't too bad, much better than the Half blood Prince adaptation!

Spoiler:Moai don't you mean Wormtail? ;p I wasn't really a fan of casting for Xenophilius Lovegood, he came across as some creepy pedo to me for some reason, heh!

Thanks
    Haha! Wormtongue, Wormtail...I'm getting my huge fantasy franchises mixed up!
    Agree with you about Kreacher, and about how bad the Half Blood Prince movie was.

Thanks
    i actually hated this movie, 1st of all Harry barelly even moved the vand, 2nd so much boring dialog , like in the lake tent, Hermione was owning everyone and was better than Harry who is a lame" Chosen One",, also i cant remember if we knew that V and Harry had the same Vand in the previos parts ???? i was totally WTF when V said he cant kill Harry with his vand, also now that V has that Vand wtf can Harry do to the mightiest sorcerer ever, he is still using the same stuplifly wtf, where are the strong magic like Dumbledor did , like the huge fire ball, i am really pissed at this movie.

Also i watched it at the cinema and i barely keept my eyes open.
    Click and see my Deviantart account http://ban---kai.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    I saw it yesterday and I liked it! It had cool atmosphere and actually had a more mature feel which is rare for such "young adult" fantasy films. It was strikingly close to the book (other than one or two minuscule things,) and it ended just where I thought it would. Weirdly, some of the visuals were so ridiculously close to what I had immagined while reading the book... Perhaps I've just been conditioned by having seen some of the films before hand?

Also, I LOVED the costumes. The outfits the death eaters wear are so ridiculously badass... If only it was socially acceptable to dress in such a manner! (though I get a little close hahaha)

OH and, despite it being a rather poor scene IMO, YAY for Nick Cave planting some of his music into the film!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    OH and, despite it being a rather poor scene IMO, YAY for Nick Cave planting some of his music into the film!
    What scene was it in?

Was very reluctant to go and see this film but now I'm glad I did. I think it's the only harry potter film that I've actually liked so far, hopefully the next one will be as good or better.

And I totally agree that the ending to the last one has to be really good. One of the things I hated about the Half Blood Prince film was how they ruined the ending by rushing through or completely skipping all the good bits.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    The Deathly Hallows animation sequence was boss.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaW_ View Post
    The Deathly Hallows animation sequence was boss.
    YES! I want to know who did that, because I would seriously love a whole film like that. It was without a doubt one of the highlights of the film.

And Zapp, that song was playing when Harry and Hermione were dancing in the tent.

Thanks
    Oh yeah, that scene. That scene was a bit too awkward for me. The Only good thing about it was the music.

I also hope that they have some more scenes like the Deathly Hallows animation in the next film.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    YES! I want to know who did that, because I would seriously love a whole film like that.(...)
    Ben Hibon.

The animation was cool and all but I felt it had been enforced in a context of tension and foreboding inappropriate for fancy storytelling. The whole thing could have been explained to Harry in a nutshell but they obviously wanted the animation.

The dance scene conversely wasn't there to advance the plot, no doubt about it. But the thing is a plot has no worth if no one cares about the shallow characters involved in it. So some characterization like that of that scene serves the plot in a secondary but important way.
    Last edited by SM; November 29th, 2010 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks
    I was impressed, I can't help thinking how much better the series would have been if they 2 parted it all (or made a mini series for tv matching the budget.)

I enjoyed the humor, which the movies often miss out (one thing i love about the books) And i was so glad to see they included Dobby who i missed!

Although my hope they'd finally include peeves probably will never pan out!

Roll on July (is it july?)

Thanks
    The house elves were so much better integrated than they have been in the past. And that three brothers animated scene was so excellent.