Photoshop CS5 Tips'n'Tricks
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Photoshop CS5 Tips'n'Tricks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp Photoshop CS5 Tips'n'Tricks

I've used photoshop for years, but only as an advanced version of MSpaint, I've never really looked too deeply into it. I was hoping that you guys could share/discuss some of your favorite extensions/tricks/filters/whatever.

I just found the HUD color picker in CS5. It's awesome .

The default shortcut is "Alt+Shift+Rightclick"

To get it to work you need to go to Edit>Preferences>Performance; and then check "Enable OpenGL Drawing" (doing this will also upgrade your standard 'alt' color picker, among other nifty things). It also makes my photoshop run much smooter while working on big images (I have a Radeon 4830).

To change the HUD to an actual color wheel (and/or make it massive) go to Edit>Preferences>General; then select what you want in the second dropdown box.

Unfortunately the default shortcut sucks bawls (since right-click is also used to select a colour). You'll want to change it, trust me. The easiest way to do it is with this handydandy Photoshop Assistant tool (it also adds an autosave feature, and couple of other nice shortcuts).

You could also use the macro program "Autohotkey"
    "Yumoto: You can customize the HUD color picker using AutoHotKey. It's a simple scripting language that you can type out in a text editor.See: http://www.autohotkey.com/

Just paste this into a text editor after you install AutoHotKey...

#IfWinActive, ahk_class Photoshop
    d:: send,{Shift down}{Alt down}{RButton down}
    KeyWait,d
    send,{Shift up}{Alt up}{RButton up}

...And save it somewhere with the file extension ".ahk" (for example: CS5_colorpicker.ahk).Then double click to launch it. Now the letter "d" should trigger that HUD color picker. If you want to use a different shortcut, change those two "d"s to what you prefer.

Last edited by karma militia; November 25th, 2010 at 04:27 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karma militia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only custom shortcuts I use are shift + f2 to f5. I hot-keyed the 4 brushes that i use 99% of the time with the "actions" tool. As for the others I use the default options. I prefer to click manually since I'm not very good at memorizing a lot of macros and stuff. I don't want to accidentally screw the painting. That save prompt is cool, but since loosing several paintings i learned my lesson and I don't need to me reminded to save often.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Vari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vari View Post
    That save prompt is cool, but since loosing several paintings i learned my lesson and I don't need to me reminded to save often.
    Yeah, I used to use Painter alot, but if it ever ran out of memory, the program would literally disappear in an instant, without warning, leaving you momentarily disorientated until the delayed realization that you just lost what you were working on for the last 10 hours, and there is no way you could ever recreate it.

I don't miss that feeling.

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hmm,i've custom mapped two keys next to each other for brush size increase/decrease. other stuff that i use... alt+click for colour picking,spacebar+click/drag for moving the view, ctrl+click/drag for moving stuff, d resets foreground/background colour to black/white,b for brush,e for eraser, c for cropping, l for lasso, m for rectangular select,f for fullscreen...hmm that's about it,i think most people know about those shortcuts? (they're pre-mapped) sometimes useful is ctrl+delete for filling a selected area with the current colour. oh yeah,and ctrl+t for free transform. use that one very often.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Karma, that is really cool I'd never seen the HUD color picker before, and I've been dying for something like that in PS.

I just thought I'd mention, if anyone's using a Mac "Alt-Shift-Right Click" doesn't work. The shortcut for Mac is "Control-Option-Command-Left Click". And you have to hold down the click, color picker disappears as soon as you let go. You have to drag around to change H/S/B. Takes some getting used to.

Members who have read this thread: 3