Paper media

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Paper media

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Paper media

Forgive me if a thread on this already exists. I was curious to know if there is any difference in using different paper medias as opposed to just using a regular sketchbook.

What advantages/disadvantages does moleskin have?

Same with epson, etc.

I don't know if it's all preference or if there's more to it than that. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is about the tooth of the paper, some papers are smoother and allow for a much more smooth and even gradation in tones while others with a coarser tooth (texture) do not have as smooth a blend.

It is also about preference, if you want an ultra smooth satin like blend to your blacks, greys, whites (assuming you are using graphite, charcoal,lead etc) then a much smoother texture is what you want. Moleskins have a very slick, smooth surface enough to the point you can't use some pen as the paper doesn't absorb ink fast enough. For example I can't use my fountain pen in a moleskin and write/draw to quickly or it smears, same for several other pens such as v5 or v7's.

Also, not every drawing or idea will benefit from smooth versus textured and you have to make that decision on what you tend to draw the most of. Hope this helped you out a bit!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.