Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

sparth - depot - custom shapes

i haven't posted for ages. and i guess it would be wise to open a new sketchbook on CA, where i'll be able to gather some of the latest stuff, as well as having a new spot to 2011.

the initial reason why i want to open that new sketchbook is because of several techniques i've found out and started using within photoshop, and that some of you could benefit in various ways. if i can use that sketchbook as a repository for all the findings, it will be all good, and i'll be able to come back to it easily.

we've been talking a lot with thom scholes about it, and we're still experimenting and pushing this thing forward.
    also, kekai, as well as other artists and friends, have started messing with the technique. it's super exciting seeing stuff pop up that way.
    i have no idea if people will all find it valuable, but i do, so i'll just share it.

so here's a bit of an explanation of that "new" process thing i have been developing these last weeks. call it "template paintings" or whatever you like

last year, while messing around in photoshop, i happened to fall on the custom shapes tool menu. and despite the fact i had trouble seeing anything useful in there, i still had that thought in mind: i could paint with my own shapes, if there was an easy way to vectorise my shapes.
    for some reason, i did not go further and it remained an idea, mostly because i was too lazy trying to figure out how i could have one of my shapes transformed into vectors in a fast way.
    then around two months ago i went back into that custom shapes menu. this time i went the other way around, i tried to find online if there were any fun and interesting shape packs that could have been valuable for anything concept design oriented. and i was shocked (well sort of). tons of templates, big and small, of animals, trees, walls, textures, bad stuff, patterns, water drops, logotypes. good stuff sometimes, bad stuff often. the thing is, these weren't particularly "concept art oriented", hence why i never figured out it could have been valuable to give it a try at a working pipeline based on these shapes.

so i went in photoshop, and found out that vectorizing a shape was STUPID TO MAKE. it just took two buttons. what a moron. (well it took me one hour the very first time though).
    so i started vectorizing tons of shapes, and got the hang of it. slowly but surely. integrating the brush shape thing in my workflow. to the point now where there's not a single image not using custom shapes in a way or another.

i will add some tips later on. and i'll also upload shapes in order for you to understand better how powerful that thing is. i'm going to update it today so the sketchbook in itself is WIP.

for now, here's a bunch of artworks done with shapes.
    i'll develop further on in another post.

s

2. The Following 95 Users Say Thank You to sparth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked