Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I don't enjoy the process of drawing as much

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I don't enjoy the process of drawing as much

Hello everyone.

when I was younger, I remember drawing and enjoy the whole process, but as I get older I start to realize that even though I'm better, I do not feel the same way.

The feeling I have is that after seeing so many amazing art, instead of wanting to get better i feel that what i'm doing is not original at all, ever. And simply can't enjoy the process the way i could before. As if my mind had been polluted.

And a feeling that everything has already been created.
    The only solution to my problem it's me figuring it out. but what about you? have you ever felt like this?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, I feel like that a lot. But the thing is, there are always things being created that have a fresh take on things! Sometimes it's only a small twist, but I am always finding bits and pieces of design, movies, games, etc. that are really interesting and different. So while it's a commonly held belief, is it possible that "there is nothing new under the sun" is a bit of an exaggeration, maybe?

The other thing is, don't worry about it! If you get so hung up on making new and interesting shit, you're going to be paralyzed staring at a blank paper/canvas/screen. Let go of that need to make something amazing every time you put pencil to paper. Give yourself permission to make shit on occasion, because the important thing is that you're drawing, you're practicing, and IT'S FUN.

You will only learn to enjoy the process again if you let go of all the over thinking mental shit that is dragging you down. You can still think about what you're doing, concentrate on improving your skills and all that. Just leave that "but how does this fit into the universe as a whole waughghghg" shit behind.

And I hate to say this, but at the end of the day, if you've tried everything and you still don't actually enjoy the process, maybe you need to stop? Maybe you aren't meant to be doing art all your life? Maybe you come back to it after a while, maybe you don't.

What I know is that art is a fucking uphill battle every step of the way, but most of us still love every second of it. But if you don't, there's no point spending your life grinding away at something you hate.

Just my two cents.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KarylGilbertson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you still enjoy making art? I think less about the process of drawing and more about the process of getting something out of my head. Yes, it is semantics sometimes, but other times...not so much. I think of drawing as putting an idea on paper, nothing more. It does not have to be perfect, it just has to be there. My sketchbook is not something I show most people, why? Well, that is where I do my thinking. When I am painting a canvas or working in Illy (or PS) file that is when I am trying to finish something, make it presentable. When I am drawing, there are very few times where I am working on something that I would scan into my computer and leave alone. Normally, there is something else there that I am working out, if only to get it out of my head.

My brain only has so much room, as I see it. Whenever i can get a thought out of it, I have room for more thoughts. One of my teachers said that you should always put any thought you have on paper, period. Don't work through it or try and make it perfect, just get it out. After that, a better thought will enter...because there's room. I see fellow students post all the time and they state that their final work is the first thought that popped into their heads. Most agree that they had a better thought after they were halfway through whatever they are working on. My thinking is that...if that's true (and i find it is) then why should I ever work on the first thought I have? In fact, normally....I don't.

So, my advice is to use the sketchbook to learn, experiment and get those thoughts out of your head. Once they are on paper, your brain will no longer feel the need to hold on to them, and so you will have more room for better ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Everybody sucks when they start. Everybody sucks from time to time, no matter how much experience they have. You have permission to suck. What you don't have is permission to make yourself miserable.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to darkwolf29a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wanting to be original = wanting attention;
    if you were the only person who existed, then why would you feel the need to be original? To impress yourself?

Everything has been made or said, over and over, ten thousand different ways. So how do you accomplish original?
    The best kind of original, comes when people aren't trying to be original - it comes when they're simply themselves,
    doing what they enjoy.

So fuck TRYING to be original, let it come by being more open in your expectations of yourself.

/2 cents

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ryan K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sure I felt this but not in any significant way. I spent a lot of time wanting to be just like my favourite artists so whenever my enthusiasm flagged I'd discover some other artist I desperately wanted to be like and off I'd go. By the time I started thinking about originality I already had the habits down so it was easy to keep going.

I think mostly I worried that I had nothing to say. Over time I've discovered that I have plenty to say, so now I'm working on how to turn that into artwork without being obvious and preachy.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The word original is so misused today. Thousands of people have painted the grand canyon, that doesn't mean that you can't paint it and bring your own take on it. No one will see it quite like you. The idea that if something has been drawn or painted before it should never be done again is stupid and creates a lot of the crap that people try and pass of as original art. Just make art for yourself and don't worry too much about it. As long as you're not trying to rip other artists off then its an honest approach.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it will do with the fact that, as we grow older, we begin to concern ourselves with things that, when younger, had no meaning.

I felt pleasure in what i did and did not care about others' work. Now I look more to the work of others than to mine.

Being an artist is really being selfish and think only of ourselves when creating.

But in a world as competitive as this, this is not so simple. But I think the solution to many of our problems is just that, return to that state when we were younger, alone and creative, but concerning only about us. A healthy mind is one that never ceased to be a child.

About quitting, I never thought about it before. I'm working as a designer but always wanted to be an illustrator. And when the work has to do with illustration I love it ..

Funny thing is, us having a mind so complex, the solution to our problems lies, just about always, in simplification.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pegasi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe someone once said: "Probably everything in art has been done before, but it hasn't been done by you."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to savaged For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm seconding dpaint here; "original" is such an over rated quality. Personally speaking, when I see art I admire, I virtually never think "that's original" because it doesn't matter to me. I'm more looking to see the person's technique, creativity and personal take on things. I mean, look at DiVinci-- he's one of the most lauded genuises in history, but he didn't really reinvent the wheel or anything with his artisitic style-- he just showed us all a whole new level of intelligence and excellence in his approach.

Anyway, looking to be original is a dead end-- try to be the best you can be and you'll be reaching for something a lot more satisfying.

Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sanya For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Original" isn't a thing you can create. It's HOW YOU create a thing.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know how you feel, except with photography. I'm not sure if it's just that I'm not familiar with it, unhelpful instruction, or sour grapes because I'm not as good at it or what. Whatever the reason may be, photography leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But unless it's for documentary or references purposes, I don't like it. The preliminary work of subjects, coming up with ideas, and lighting is fine but it never pans out. Unfortunately I need photography to graduate so I can just not do it. Mabe it'll get better, but right now I'm not feeling it. Sorry to high-jack your thread.

Edit: Problem solved. Forgetting about other people can help. If you focus on trying to make something for no other reason than because just to compete and blow peoples' minds, then it ironically won't be as good. If you be yourself artistically, then you come up with something brilliant. Even if it is for someone else and even if it's been done in a different way already. You get better results if you forget about what's been done, being awesome, and living up to lofty expectations. Just get yourself a strong work ethic, study study study, and do it.

Last edited by NicoleWG; December 4th, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
    Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

21. The Following User Says Thank You to NicoleWG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sanya View Post
    I'm seconding dpaint here; "original" is such an over rated quality. Personally speaking, when I see art I admire, I virtually never think "that's original" because it doesn't matter to me. I'm more looking to see the person's technique, creativity and personal take on things. I mean, look at DiVinci-- he's one of the most lauded genuises in history, but he didn't really reinvent the wheel or anything with his artisitic style-- he just showed us all a whole new level of intelligence and excellence in his approach.

Anyway, looking to be original is a dead end-- try to be the best you can be and you'll be reaching for something a lot more satisfying.
    But it is not originality that has defined almost every kind of art?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    It's sad in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWG View Post
    I know how you feel, except with photography. I'm not sure if it's just that I'm not familiar with it, unhelpful instruction, or sour grapes because I'm not as good at it or what. Whatever the reason may be, photography leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But unless it's for documentary or references purposes, I don't like it. The preliminary work of subjects, coming up with ideas, and lighting is fine but it never pans out. Unfortunately I need photography to graduate so I can just not do it. Mabe it'll get better, but right now I'm not feeling it. Sorry to high-jack your thread.

Maybe we can enjoy it more as we get better. I sure hope so!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get burned out sometimes and feel that I put too much pressure on myself to create a big idea. A little time off or a short holiday helps me to restore the creative juices.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Or even just try something completely different. You said drawing. Maybe try painting. If that isn't far out enough, try using stamps and stencils. Sculpture. Whatever, poetry. Creative walking. Explore some of the back roads.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not really, it's usually a gradual tweaking of what has been done before.
    It's sad in a way.
    How is that sad? Stick 5 painters in front of the same subject and you'll get 5 completely different versions of the subject.

This is good, it indicates there will never be a shortage of fresh takes on anything regardless of style or subject.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    drawing stops being fun when all you do is put pressure on yourself to do certain things and expect certain things of yourself. it happens to me...and then im like fuck this study ill just sketch whatever is around me in a line drawing

and its fun! just decide to have fun and you might end up having fun. why so srs?

irc.whatnet.org:6667
    #conceptart

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lumar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasi View Post
    Nothing is 100% original or unique, but it's the artists' vision that creates new and exciting works of art. Stop worrying so much about originality as you're only going to get frustrated with what you're doing. Instead create art that shows your vision and your perspective of the world. Take concepts that have been used over and over again and put your own personal spin on it. You'll find that to be a more rewarding experience then fretting over finding the perfect unique idea.

'Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap-on' -Vince Masuka

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Stricken For This Useful Post:

Anid Maro is offline Psychotic Eldritch Zeppelin Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's with this obsession of 'original ideas' anyway?

Want to be original? Okay, draw space zombies having literal safe sex. As in, with an iron safe. There you go.

Original Ideas ≠ Good Ideas.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Not really, it's usually a gradual tweaking of what has been done before.

How is that sad? Stick 5 painters in front of the same subject and you'll get 5 completely different versions of the subject.

This is good, it indicates there will never be a shortage of fresh takes on anything regardless of style or subject.

That's a way to look at things. For the connoisseurs in the matter, every artist is different. But art, especially conceptart, are for the masses. If we look at the works that are being made, there's no major differences between them. Nor can there be, and it's a little sad.
    Yes, it's not a very healthy way of seeing things ... Shit, of course i wanted to look at things differently.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do."
    --Robert Henri, The Art Spirit, p.76

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Anid Maro is offline Psychotic Eldritch Zeppelin Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a way to look at things. For the connoisseurs in the matter, every artist is different. But art, especially conceptart, are for the masses. If we look at the works that are being made, there's no major differences between them. Nor can there be, and it's a little sad.
    Yes, it's not a very healthy way of seeing things ... Shit, of course i wanted to look at things differently.
    Sorry to be blunt, but it just sounds like you need to learn subtlety.

If I showed you two leaves from the same tree, I suppose you'd say they were the same while I could make a laundry list of how they're different. To you they're just leaves, to me it's like saying all notes from a guitar sound the same.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anid Maro View Post
    Sorry to be blunt, but it just sounds like you need to learn subtlety.

If I showed you two leaves from the same tree, I suppose you'd say they were the same while I could make a laundry list of how they're different. To you they're just leaves, to me it's like saying all notes from a guitar sound the same.
    Of course we can be unique in many ways. It is also obvious that there is no painting/drawing/etc the same as another, even from the same artist.

This is more a feeling than anything else. As if I needed to do something completely different from what already exists(while it is not possible). And if I don't, I'll never feel fulfilled.

If I see that there are differences between two leaves? yes.

I can see the subtlety in the work of others, but in mine i just don't appreciate that subtleties. this is more or less it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Personally I prefer to replace word "original" with "interesting". In other words creating art can be more enjoyable if you just don't bore yourself. And probably first step to creating interesting art is becoming interesting person. Getting some knowledge, finding new experiences and staying true to your own vision.

As for the concept art for the masses. Maybe not that much but there are game studios that try to create something new. I'm also pretty sure that there will be much bigger variety of games in future. It's still pretty young medium but it's growing really fast.

Last edited by Farvus; December 2nd, 2010 at 01:03 PM.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    %#&^%!I%$&%$*&(^(*909-9-9-9-9-9-9-&&&^!#%@^%#$*&&(*79498&(*)(

The above post is utterly unique and has NEVER been written before, much less posted.

That doesn't mean it's any good.

CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Mordus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Mordus You are SO right!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is more a feeling than anything else. As if I needed to do something completely different from what already exists(while it is not possible). And if I don't, I'll never feel fulfilled.
    Hate to tell you this, but if you go at it with the mindset of "I want to create something totally new and original", it probably won't happen.

I went through a phase of "it has to be TOTALLY NEW AND ORIGINAL!" when I was a teenager, and I think I did my worst work during that phase. Mostly because I was trying too hard. I wasn't letting myself or my work develop naturally, and what I did usually ended up looking contrived or gimmicky, and it was totally Not Me. It was lacking in personality, and hence less original than if I hadn't tried to be "original".

The obsession to be "TOTALLY UNIQUE" is all too often a fast track to gimmicks. Or worse, it can stymie you to such an extent that you don't do anything at all for fear of being "unoriginal".

(And frankly, the more I learn about what other people have done and are doing, the more I realize that no matter what idea I have and how unique I think it is, someone somewhere sometime will have had a similar idea. I've learned not to fret about this, fretting doesn't get me anywhere.)

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Hate to tell you this, but if you go at it with the mindset of "I want to create something totally new and original", it probably won't happen.

I went through a phase of "it has to be TOTALLY NEW AND ORIGINAL!" when I was a teenager, and I think I did my worst work during that phase. Mostly because I was trying too hard. I wasn't letting myself or my work develop naturally, and what I did usually ended up looking contrived or gimmicky, and it was totally Not Me. It was lacking in personality, and hence less original than if I hadn't tried to be "original".

The obsession to be "TOTALLY UNIQUE" is all too often a fast track to gimmicks. Or worse, it can stymie you to such an extent that you don't do anything at all for fear of being "unoriginal".

(And frankly, the more I learn about what other people have done and are doing, the more I realize that no matter what idea I have and how unique I think it is, someone somewhere sometime will have had a similar idea. I've learned not to fret about this, fretting doesn't get me anywhere.)
    yep, i know.

But I'll keep trying to be original, always. We have a natural style, but if we do not try to go further, just not caring, maybe it's not enough.
    I mean, always being healthy in this search, of course.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sanya View Post

Ah yes, I'm glad you brought up Da Vinci. Those folks in the Renaissance tradition weren't on that kick it seems. Being too "unique" was a setback many times. They built up on what other people did, even the greats like Michelangelo, Poussin, C. People laud them for their epic genius but they stood on the backs of what was done before. This is in no way discounting the masters, I'm saying the opposite. They worked with what was there and added their flavor to it...much like what people are telling you to do OP.

See my Sketchbook!!!!!!!!

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Disciplette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciplette View Post
    Ah yes, I'm glad you brought up Da Vinci. Those folks in the Renaissance tradition weren't on that kick it seems. Being too "unique" was a setback many times. They built up on what other people did, even the greats like Michelangelo, Poussin, C. People laud them for their epic genius but they stood on the backs of what was done before. This is in no way discounting the masters, I'm saying the opposite. They worked with what was there and added their flavor to it...much like what people are telling you to do OP.
    Well, going into the field of fine arts, there will be no further movement as important as the romanticism, surrealism and all that isms ..?
    Every one does his art movement, based on the unique characteristics that each of us have?
    Now we have little artistic movements. But not one strong original movement.
    Which art movements are we in now?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does anyone else think it's ironic that when Da Vinci experimented with new original techniques they didn't work and he ended up not getting paid?

Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.