Art: Pirates! - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pirates!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that is one of the most beautiful pieces on CA.. for sure!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Incredible work. Seven weeks doesn't seem excessive given the result. Bravo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy scrawnypaws!

First of all I have not read any of the responses posted about this particular work that you’ve put up for our enjoyment.

This piece looks Great!!!

Inspired by PotC or programs on the History Channel? Looks good to me. Is it a bit overdone? I think it looks fine!…..and as far as Port Royal goes….isn’t that town a bit under Caribbean waters at this time (smile)?

Thanks for sharing….BP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing piece! I don't think it's overdone at all, the level of detail is fantastic. It reminds me in the best possible way of James Gurney's work. Just a couple questions, and feel kind of dense even asking, but what's happening? I mean I get that the young woman's upset, and is about to punch the pirate to her left, but why? Both are too far from the table to have knocked it over, and now that I mention it, who knocked the table over?

Please don't take these questions as criticism, your work is spectacular, for some reason I'm just not understanding the scenario.

Regards
    Andrew

Last edited by andrewchase; November 27th, 2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: clarifying a question

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is one of the most technically dazzling paintings that I've seen on here.

Last edited by armando; November 28th, 2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: corrected my meaning
    Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewchase View Post
    Amazing piece! I don't think it's overdone at all, the level of detail is fantastic. It reminds me in the best possible way of James Gurney's work. Just a couple questions, and feel kind of dense even asking, but what's happening? I mean I get that the young woman's upset, and is about to punch the pirate to her left, but why? Both are too far from the table to have knocked it over, and now that I mention it, who knocked the table over?

Please don't take these questions as criticism, your work is spectacular, for some reason I'm just not understanding the scenario.

Regards
    Andrew
    NP. She was probably minding her little stall until someone proposed something less decent than was acceptable to her . Something like that, methinks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by designer356 View Post
    If you use references your art can be great, but not you as an artist because everyone can paint like that! Would you understand the difference between the fact that he used photos and possibility that he painted this from mind? If an artist paint from mind, that means that he take next step after learning to copy a photo. And that is what artists should do, not staying in security of their current knowledge.
    I believe you are completely wrong pal, you are speaking like if the value of an art piece will be measure on the difficulty of the task, might as well try to paint while standing in one leg, that'll certainly make harder.

1. NOT everyone can paint from pictures, like he said, the unskilled artist will come up with nothing but a cheap imitation, the skilled in the other hand could come up with a masterpiece.

2. Unless it is done for practice, drawing and painting from imagination is done NOT because it is harder nor because you will automatically be a “better artist” but rather it’s done because the imagination is just the only means you got to do certain things, especially when nature doesn’t provide the goods therefore you have to paint it from imagination.

I have never met an artist that paints from imagination that doesn’t also paints from reference, you do what you got to do to get the job done and what is important is the final piece and once this final work is presented the work itself is the only thing that matters and the quality of that work is what determines how amazing an artist you really are and NOT if it was painted from reference or not.

You got an unhealthy view on painting from reference and I feel it will do little to help you develop as an artist. Almost every mayor artist in the concept art industry keep reference pictures and some of these reference collections are quite extensive, try to ask yourself why is that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mrhugecojones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sasha- You should open a lil' school, or gather some worthy minions to learn from you. You have way too much to teach and are far to eloquent to have it fall on deaf ears. I wish I were a fly on your wall or a cell in your brain. 6 weeks.. How many hours on average did you invest per day...?

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a master pieace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic work! Though I will echo a little of what other's have said before me, perhaps dull down the background a little as it's making the picture a little too busy.

Killer details in this, again, amazing work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I already told you this before but I think this painting is a masterpiece. You call it "overdone"...I call it "perfect"!
    And reading about your working methods I have to admire you even more.
    Thanks for making this and sharing it with us.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sach! - long time no see. Great work - too bad there is no more Imagemovers - they would have loved this warm sunny realism there!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to marc_taro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, this one floored me, awesome crazy job scrawnypaws!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for not only sharing this wonderful piece, but also the process behind it. That was really interesting reading.

And to those saying using photos lessens a pice; BULLHOG!!! And as you say Scrawnypawns, there are no easy trick but hard work. And you have shown everybody that it pays of.

As for being overdone, I dont think it is. Of course thats only from me as a viewer. Its lovely to see a classic realistic action scene like this. Refreshing actually seing as very few does this anymore.

On the crit side, I have to agree with Andrewchase. I didnt notice it at before he said it, but the woman must have moved extremely fast for a woman dressed up like that to move that far from the table in a backwards motion after knoking it over. But honestly, it doesnt really bother me. The important thing here is the actuall interacting between her and the man in green. As ask, what has happened? Did he propose anything undeasent to make her that angry? Is it her husbond that has finally come home from a long sea trip that she just seen. And angry on him for cheating on her before he left she explodes up towards him ready to punch hin straigt in the teeth? Both would explain his nonchalant posture. Allthough the two guys to the left of them I would suggest that they probobly have been following the green dude as he was about to proposition her in an undeasent way, finding it amensly funny when he does.. The guy in front... well, he does seem to be a tad missplaced. And as you say, the lighting is a bit odd to be connected to the rest of the scene. But I choose to see him as beeing taken all by suprise by the noise beind him. And having been a fighting pirate for a long time, he naturally reatc to any hubbub with a state of readyness as his expression suggest to me.
    The whole scene could benefit from being tied together with some more and darker shadows in the background buildings I think. But again, it doesnt bother me really. I enjoy looking at all the details, and choose to let the amount of details in this piece strenghten the feeling of action. I mean, look at the woman in the background waving the laidl at someone. Is she about to beat up the no good drunk of a husbond standing in the doorway (seen between the to laughing pirates)? No I see the busyness of details and light as the feeling of a busy shoretown.

Amazing work.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Geir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brilliant, and inspiring, work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowww wwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love it. amazing work, I like the depth too - all great stuff on your site too. thanks for posting and taking the time to explain some stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by marc_taro View Post
    Hey Sach! - long time no see. Great work - too bad there is no more Imagemovers - they would have loved this warm sunny realism there!
    It IS too bad, Marc. How you've been, old buddy?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for revealing your creative process and sharing this piece.
    Great work!

for all of those, who thinks that he just copypasted photo elements, watch carefully these closeups:
    http://www.scrawnypaws.com/img/displ...?album=5&pos=5
    http://www.scrawnypaws.com/img/displ...?album=5&pos=3
    its clearly visible, 1. that it was painted 2. it was painted with a lot of thinking and knowledge about planes, lighting, materials, colors, edges etc etc. not just ctrl-c ctrl-v
    peace

Last edited by conte; December 1st, 2010 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just love those two guys laughing. brilliant

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think over done is the right word. As you said yourself, the reason it doesn't hold together in the end is that you didn't put enough effort in in the beginning stages. So in a sense, it is actually under done.

I think what really makes the figures look photographic is that there is no strong grouping of lights and shadows. I think not only a rearrangement of tonal patterns, darkening this part or lightening this part, but also a strong simplification of the tonal patterns, both in detail and in the big picture, is in order.

I could see this composition working much better if it was painted a bit more in the manner of Dean Cornwell:

Pirates!

That said, I like the composition, and I think the painting of the buildings work really well, it's mainly the figures that look strange. But I think the movement of the woman works great!

EDIT: I just thought of something... The laughing men and the ships look very pirate era, i.e. 1700s, but the figure in green and his poofy pantaloons look very 1500s.. Sir Walter Raleigh is what comes to mind...

EDIT2: I think it is worth to say that the amount of detail in no way makes this picture unreadable, you can perfectly well understand what the primary focus is and all that. The only problem is the overly photographic look of the figures. It's hard to define why this is a problem, but it just looks... better when you don't have that photographic look. I think Dan dos Santos said it best in his DVD: some things that look good in a photo don't look good in a painting.

Last edited by Serpian; December 1st, 2010 at 03:44 PM.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Serpian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with you Serps, but I think it is the ability of Cornwell to tell the story through composition that makes his painting count and thus explains why Scrawnypaws' image has its shortcomings - even though the individual rendering of all the details is very beautiful.

For instance, in the Cornwell, look at how what that rope might be going to do to our hero is signaled by the flaying tree directly leading up from it at the top of the painting. Our eye is lead up from the rope on the ground, through the guy's arm and on its way to the violent tree it crosses the eyeline of all those heads....staring accusingly at our hero.

Last edited by Chris Bennett; December 1st, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
    From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, Chris and Serps

like i said, this is exactly what happened - i haven't solved the basic idea first and got mired in all that "realistic" detail. Doing it piecemeal also was a mistake. Well, at least i have a valuable remainder now...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's a great point, Chris, but I still think that the arrangement and grouping of the values is what makes the picture read, and also what makes that sight-line you described work. But I agree that it is important to the narrative. Also, the way our hero is an isolated shape against the wall, while the angry mob is a jumble of grouped figures.

Pirates!

Another image by Cornwell. It has a lot of detail, the woman's dress is patterned, and I would almost call it naturalistic. I threw both this and scrawny's picture into photoshop and made them into two-colour GIFS:

Name:  ETT.gif
Views: 1117
Size:  15.4 KB

Name:  TVA.gif
Views: 1102
Size:  9.2 KB

given, the pirate piece has a lot more figures, but still, I think this illustrates the point of grouping values pretty well.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serpian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    work like this is humbling and inspiring at the same time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thing I see about this "over done" work is, in every detail you look, the rest of the painting seems to get blurred naturally. For instance, even the group of people in the left, under the tree-house.. When you focus on it, their forms are like what my eyes can see in real live and the front scenario is naturally blurred by my eyes. Does it make any sense? I'm not good at explaining, but just to say in my view it's a great work even if the era chosen is not my cup of tea.

But what is happening with the green fruits/olives in the jar? In my eyes right now they seem like stretched or not proportional, but I think once you'll explain what they are and what kind of action they are doing, my brain gonna connect it and show me the right interpretation

" relax, take your time and let the lines flow, art is not a race, its a life long journey through time and space. "
    Android

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    they are limes, the image here is too small to see that..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by scrawnypaws View Post
    they are limes, the image here is too small to see that..
    Oh I see it now!

" relax, take your time and let the lines flow, art is not a race, its a life long journey through time and space. "
    Android

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    scrawnypaws: thanks for posting this great piece and for extensive explanations! I'm really glad that you're posting here again

38. The Following User Says Thank You to aspenboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Merry Christmas to all.

Mine is particularly merry - heh.

Someone broke in and deleted my website from the hosting server. All of it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4