Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I got in Art Center

Thanks

I got in Art Center

With much surprise, I got the acceptance package from Art Center today when i checked my mail. I wasn't really expecting their decision to come so fast since last week I just received a letter from them saying they'll notice me within the next 2 weeks.
    Anyways, I almost crapped my pants when i saw the word "congratulations" on the envelope. I'm so glad that all my hard work during the last half a year have paid off. Especially since I started from nothing to a full portfolio in half a year
    Maybe now i'll get to meet people i really respect like feng and craig mullins in person. I'm planning to go visit the campus during spring break. Anyone from art center here wanna give me a few tips?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Welp, here's the cold hard truth.. and the warm mushy lies..

I must say, it's world's different than any education I've ever had. It's described as "Med School for artists" and it really can be just that at times. A lot of your stress level will be decided by how well you manage your time. It kinda depends on where you're coming from. I already have a BA so this is kinda just icing on the cake, and I'm used to the rigor, but to some kids just out of high school, it can be a shock, not only from the work load, but also for the sheer fact that things are so bloody serious here. This is not necessarily a good thing as far as I'm concerned, because everyone is too damn busy to even have fun with their assignments it seems.

Technically speaking though, the school is unmatched. I came from Pratt so it's about the opposite side of the spectrum. Traditional execution and technical skill is prized and encouraged, sometimes to the dismay of people that want to be a bit looser, or who are more content or idea oriented. At AC, you'll learn how to draw, no question if you’re dedicated, at Pratt, you skirt the issue in the effort to become looser and more stylized. I'm only in third term, so I have yet to be completely blown away by the class line up, but it's a rather rigorous and informative curriculum.

One of the problems though that some of my Entertainment Design compatriots and I have run across is that it is damn near impossible to get scholarship when in this field. So unless you like drawing editorial illustrations of dead babies on meat hooks, look elsewhere for financial aid.

Just keep your time management in good form, try to start assignments right after or near when they are assigned. Get a jump on them, work on them over the weekend, and then finish them on the day before they are due. It really is advised that you get your General Education stuff, liberal arts, etc, out of the way before you attend. It is a major pain to those who have to deal with the studio work and GE stuff. Some general tips are: go to workshops (open drawing) try not to slack but by no means rob yourself of fun or pleasure because that will throw you off balance, and budget time (again)

Anyway, that's all I can think of at the moment. It's a pretty neat school, great facilities, good teachers, but like any academic institution, it has its bugs, and plenty of them. I'll save that for another time.

In the mean time, talk to whomever else you can from AC, Phuzion and i.was.ink are two guys from here that are also my buddies at school.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    wow, great advices. Time management probably wont be a problem for me since I'm actually going to one of the top highschools in the state now. People here work their asses for college like there's no tomorrow But yea I'll keep the time management thing in mind.

I do have some more questions though. The main reason i applied for illustration was because I wanted to do concept design and animation. I already know that I wont be having trouble getting one of the best illustration education here. The thing i do want to know is how good is the animation department (3d animation to be more specific) at Art center?\

btw, today i talked to a guy who went to art center in Arizona that actually disproved art center. he said he wasnt impressed with the student gallery. Though he did say that the auto designs, illustrations (oil paintings etc) were great, he said the 2d stuff looked "horrible". I find this a bit hard to believe since everyone i've talked to mentioned how strong artcenter is as a school and he's the only one who doesnt think that way. Anyone confirm this?
    Last edited by xHUNTERx; March 16th, 2004 at 05:43 AM.

Thanks
    Congrats on being accepted! I'm glad you've posted this thread- I currently go to CCS in Detroit, but I've been considering transferring to AC, since I really really want to do game concept art. Thanks to Helium for your info! Hope more people post! (I only got one response to my post.. -_- ) More info, people!
    "I say a lot of stuff, but I can't
    remember anything..."

Thanks
    hey there.

I know how you feel. when I got my acceptance letter I was ecstatic. I don't remember the last time I was so overwhelmed. it really is a compliment, because the school is picky about who gets in here.

I'm in 2nd term right now. I don't usually even check this site much during term because I'm so busy. I think some majors have more homework than others, but they all have a lot. I'm in Product/Entertainment.

like helium said, it's all about time management. the best thing to do from DAY 1 is do the homework the day it's assigned. some classes take 2 days to do the homework (studio oriented classes).

be ready to go when you start the term too. don't have any more personal stuff to take care of. in other words, be moved in, unpacked, all the bills in order, etc. if you'll be cooking for yourself, it may even be a good idea to cook up meals and freeze them. that may be overkill, but I find myself often eating out because I don't feel like I have time to cook (or the energy).

I guess that's my 2¢ worth. it's a great school. I don't think there's a better choice. if you have any specific questions let me know.

Thanks
    Yea I'll probably be visitng the school in a month during my spring break, but I just want to know how strong is the Digital Media/ 3d animation department?

Thanks
    To tell you the truth, I have no idea about their digital media/CG dept. I would imagine that it's on par with anything out there. I'm sure you got a course catalog, so that would be your first clue as to how comprehensive their program is. Though considering its Art Center, it's relatively well reliable that it's good. If I run into any CG guys I'll let you know. Just don't go to Pratt for CG, it's a bit of a joke. My buddies from there learned little to nothing.

Another thing I've found about CG is that half of the progress you make is out of class. You need to just pound away and learn the programs. Get as much technical edge as you can before you enter into a particular discipline.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks

Talking Ooohh Yeah

xHUNTERx congrats i will be seeing you there b/c i got my acceptance letter today!!! i am in the illustration program what one are you in? you are coming out of high school :o i have been out of highschool since 2000 and i didn't start drawing anything until the end of 2003/04.... oh well it is great stuff tha yo got in!

-Jesse
    "it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    I assume your talking about the art center in Pasdadena, since there is a strange mention of AZ, but it is the finest school out there for tighter rendering. I can't imagine going to that school as a freshman, with the general elective requirement. I have considered it for grad work...we'll see. I'd like to get my career in full swing before I make the leap for more education. Congradulations to you guys, and good luck!

Thanks
    yep, i'm in the illustration program too. just got another letter saying they're done reviewing for the scholarships. Hopefully they give me enough money so I won't be starving next year.

Thanks

art center

.....hmmm....sorry to burst your bubble kid but feng zhu is leaving after this semester and craig mullins has been long gone....he lives in maui now.....but art center really is a good school and it's pretty hard work...about scholarship? they don't seem to give too much to 1st termers so plan on taking out a huge ass loan. congrats though

Thanks

feng zhu

ok wait.........sorry about saying that feng zhu isn't coming back because according to the new schedule he's gonna be teaching again next semester......so yeah

Thanks
    i am artcenter too, illu 3rd term. i'm also an orientation mentor too so maybe i will see you if your last name falls between certain letters .

i think helium and ron's advice was very good. though you may not have as much work as ron (product/trans is notorious for the amount of work early-term students have)

re: the student gallery. the gallery, imo, is not really indicative of the quality of work at artcenter. remember a lot of really good students dont even bother submitting their work, or it is not selected by the committee. the student gallery director changes a lot so you will see certain biases depending on who does the picking. currently i think you'll prolly see a lot of 'trendy'/naive illustration stuff.

the people who are REALLY good at the technical side of painting, draughtsmanship, and all that 'traditional' stuff are indeed good, but they generally will be ignored because, in the end, no one really cares about a plain ol' figure drawing or painting. (sadly many (not all) these people are deficient in the more creative side of their craft so it's still rare to see knock out technical skills + great creativity)

helium> interesting info on the scholarship and entertainment thing. i'm more or less on the dead babies on hooks side of things but i've been getting into entertainment lately to balance things out, i wonder if this is a mistake scholarship-wise?

rad feng teaches at ac? i didn't know that lol. bu i know craig the man mullins don't. scott does and you should try to learn under him if you are interested in entertainment.

have fun at artcenter

cheers,
    steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast