I got in Art Center

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

I got in Art Center

With much surprise, I got the acceptance package from Art Center today when i checked my mail. I wasn't really expecting their decision to come so fast since last week I just received a letter from them saying they'll notice me within the next 2 weeks.
    Anyways, I almost crapped my pants when i saw the word "congratulations" on the envelope. I'm so glad that all my hard work during the last half a year have paid off. Especially since I started from nothing to a full portfolio in half a year
    Maybe now i'll get to meet people i really respect like feng and craig mullins in person. I'm planning to go visit the campus during spring break. Anyone from art center here wanna give me a few tips?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Welp, here's the cold hard truth.. and the warm mushy lies..

I must say, it's world's different than any education I've ever had. It's described as "Med School for artists" and it really can be just that at times. A lot of your stress level will be decided by how well you manage your time. It kinda depends on where you're coming from. I already have a BA so this is kinda just icing on the cake, and I'm used to the rigor, but to some kids just out of high school, it can be a shock, not only from the work load, but also for the sheer fact that things are so bloody serious here. This is not necessarily a good thing as far as I'm concerned, because everyone is too damn busy to even have fun with their assignments it seems.

Technically speaking though, the school is unmatched. I came from Pratt so it's about the opposite side of the spectrum. Traditional execution and technical skill is prized and encouraged, sometimes to the dismay of people that want to be a bit looser, or who are more content or idea oriented. At AC, you'll learn how to draw, no question if you’re dedicated, at Pratt, you skirt the issue in the effort to become looser and more stylized. I'm only in third term, so I have yet to be completely blown away by the class line up, but it's a rather rigorous and informative curriculum.

One of the problems though that some of my Entertainment Design compatriots and I have run across is that it is damn near impossible to get scholarship when in this field. So unless you like drawing editorial illustrations of dead babies on meat hooks, look elsewhere for financial aid.

Just keep your time management in good form, try to start assignments right after or near when they are assigned. Get a jump on them, work on them over the weekend, and then finish them on the day before they are due. It really is advised that you get your General Education stuff, liberal arts, etc, out of the way before you attend. It is a major pain to those who have to deal with the studio work and GE stuff. Some general tips are: go to workshops (open drawing) try not to slack but by no means rob yourself of fun or pleasure because that will throw you off balance, and budget time (again)

Anyway, that's all I can think of at the moment. It's a pretty neat school, great facilities, good teachers, but like any academic institution, it has its bugs, and plenty of them. I'll save that for another time.

In the mean time, talk to whomever else you can from AC, Phuzion and i.was.ink are two guys from here that are also my buddies at school.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    wow, great advices. Time management probably wont be a problem for me since I'm actually going to one of the top highschools in the state now. People here work their asses for college like there's no tomorrow But yea I'll keep the time management thing in mind.

I do have some more questions though. The main reason i applied for illustration was because I wanted to do concept design and animation. I already know that I wont be having trouble getting one of the best illustration education here. The thing i do want to know is how good is the animation department (3d animation to be more specific) at Art center?\

btw, today i talked to a guy who went to art center in Arizona that actually disproved art center. he said he wasnt impressed with the student gallery. Though he did say that the auto designs, illustrations (oil paintings etc) were great, he said the 2d stuff looked "horrible". I find this a bit hard to believe since everyone i've talked to mentioned how strong artcenter is as a school and he's the only one who doesnt think that way. Anyone confirm this?

Last edited by xHUNTERx; March 16th, 2004 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks
    Congrats on being accepted! I'm glad you've posted this thread- I currently go to CCS in Detroit, but I've been considering transferring to AC, since I really really want to do game concept art. Thanks to Helium for your info! Hope more people post! (I only got one response to my post.. -_- ) More info, people!

"I say a lot of stuff, but I can't
    remember anything..."

Thanks
    hey there.

I know how you feel. when I got my acceptance letter I was ecstatic. I don't remember the last time I was so overwhelmed. it really is a compliment, because the school is picky about who gets in here.

I'm in 2nd term right now. I don't usually even check this site much during term because I'm so busy. I think some majors have more homework than others, but they all have a lot. I'm in Product/Entertainment.

like helium said, it's all about time management. the best thing to do from DAY 1 is do the homework the day it's assigned. some classes take 2 days to do the homework (studio oriented classes).

be ready to go when you start the term too. don't have any more personal stuff to take care of. in other words, be moved in, unpacked, all the bills in order, etc. if you'll be cooking for yourself, it may even be a good idea to cook up meals and freeze them. that may be overkill, but I find myself often eating out because I don't feel like I have time to cook (or the energy).

I guess that's my 2¢ worth. it's a great school. I don't think there's a better choice. if you have any specific questions let me know.

Thanks
    Yea I'll probably be visitng the school in a month during my spring break, but I just want to know how strong is the Digital Media/ 3d animation department?

Thanks
    To tell you the truth, I have no idea about their digital media/CG dept. I would imagine that it's on par with anything out there. I'm sure you got a course catalog, so that would be your first clue as to how comprehensive their program is. Though considering its Art Center, it's relatively well reliable that it's good. If I run into any CG guys I'll let you know. Just don't go to Pratt for CG, it's a bit of a joke. My buddies from there learned little to nothing.

Another thing I've found about CG is that half of the progress you make is out of class. You need to just pound away and learn the programs. Get as much technical edge as you can before you enter into a particular discipline.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks

Talking Ooohh Yeah

xHUNTERx congrats i will be seeing you there b/c i got my acceptance letter today!!! i am in the illustration program what one are you in? you are coming out of high school :o i have been out of highschool since 2000 and i didn't start drawing anything until the end of 2003/04.... oh well it is great stuff tha yo got in!

-Jesse

"it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    I assume your talking about the art center in Pasdadena, since there is a strange mention of AZ, but it is the finest school out there for tighter rendering. I can't imagine going to that school as a freshman, with the general elective requirement. I have considered it for grad work...we'll see. I'd like to get my career in full swing before I make the leap for more education. Congradulations to you guys, and good luck!

Thanks
    yep, i'm in the illustration program too. just got another letter saying they're done reviewing for the scholarships. Hopefully they give me enough money so I won't be starving next year.

Thanks

art center

.....hmmm....sorry to burst your bubble kid but feng zhu is leaving after this semester and craig mullins has been long gone....he lives in maui now.....but art center really is a good school and it's pretty hard work...about scholarship? they don't seem to give too much to 1st termers so plan on taking out a huge ass loan. congrats though

Thanks

feng zhu

ok wait.........sorry about saying that feng zhu isn't coming back because according to the new schedule he's gonna be teaching again next semester......so yeah

Thanks
    i am artcenter too, illu 3rd term. i'm also an orientation mentor too so maybe i will see you if your last name falls between certain letters .

i think helium and ron's advice was very good. though you may not have as much work as ron (product/trans is notorious for the amount of work early-term students have)

re: the student gallery. the gallery, imo, is not really indicative of the quality of work at artcenter. remember a lot of really good students dont even bother submitting their work, or it is not selected by the committee. the student gallery director changes a lot so you will see certain biases depending on who does the picking. currently i think you'll prolly see a lot of 'trendy'/naive illustration stuff.

the people who are REALLY good at the technical side of painting, draughtsmanship, and all that 'traditional' stuff are indeed good, but they generally will be ignored because, in the end, no one really cares about a plain ol' figure drawing or painting. (sadly many (not all) these people are deficient in the more creative side of their craft so it's still rare to see knock out technical skills + great creativity)

helium> interesting info on the scholarship and entertainment thing. i'm more or less on the dead babies on hooks side of things but i've been getting into entertainment lately to balance things out, i wonder if this is a mistake scholarship-wise?

rad feng teaches at ac? i didn't know that lol. bu i know craig the man mullins don't. scott does and you should try to learn under him if you are interested in entertainment.

have fun at artcenter

cheers,
    steve

Thanks
    Nah Chumps, I don't think branching out is ever a mistake. I just think that the majority of people receiving assistance from the school are mostly non-entertainment people. This is however a rumor, but I have yet to see any of the people I know, most of them entertainment, and some very talented, get any scholarship.

I totally agree with the whole creativity and technician thing not going hand in hand. That indeed seems to be the trend at AC. There are some fine technicians, but they can't seem create unique, creative, or interesting ideas to save their lives. This has been a rather recent source of irritation for me, as many of my projects in the lower terms have been rather devoid of any breathing room, or creative license. We've been focusing on straight technical stuff, which don't get me wrong that's why I came to art center, but I find that there is no room in the parameters of said projects to truly have fun. Coming from the East Coast, there is much more of a focus on style, ideas, and concept. We were taught that ideas are more important to sell something than technical skill. At the time I thought that was pure horse shit, but now I realize the importance of that approach. With AC, it's the polar opposite. They seem to say that unless you are a ridiculous draftsman, you're screwed. Well that's not the case. Idea is half the load of the work. It's just rather irritating that so far, neither many of the professors, nor the students seem to exhibit any particularly brilliant creativity. This is mostly regards to the entertainment sect though. That also boggles my mind, considering the idea behind entertainment is that you're illustrating story. *shrug*

Sorry for being so bitter

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    What Helium and Chumps are saying is true... the reason i think they are technical in the begining is b/c most students are transfering in. so AC is expecting that you alreadu have a grip on what Helium is saying. If you don't have any previous training at all besides HS art class then things would be completelty different.

I myself have lots of ideas and i am always trying to get them down on paper it is hard for me though so i write them down b/c i lack the confidence and technical skills to express my vision. That is why i want to go to AC... where i am at feeds my creativity completely but i need more than that to become better as an artist!

-Jesse

Portfolio - Blog

Thanks
    helium> right on dude, i know how you feel. but still, no need to be bitter i think. i don't now how entertainment is but even the foundation illustration classes generally give you some elbow room to be creative, it's just about taking the initiative and 'doing more' with what may seem like a banal assignment. sometimes when i hear about someone getting first or second place on scholarship and then seeing their work, i'm like, wtf? are you kidding me? so if i draw like a 6yr old and connect the bridge of the nose with the eyes (typical editorial stylization) i'll get mass bucks too? but then i calm myself down and try to realize that guy probably deserves his spot 100% and my reaction is out of bitterness, jealousy, and other bad things...

what term are you btw? i'm taking drawing for ent. w/ robison next term, development of form (product) and character modeling. very ent. heavy :o.

j.mac> writing down your ideas is an excellent habit to get into. but don't fall in the trap of always putting of 'creative' stuff until your technical skills catch up. a lot of people (including me) are so afraid to do creative work that requires something other than a nekkid model in front of you that they end up never getting over traditional drawing and painting. sometimes you have to pursue your "ideas" when you're not even ready for it. will you fail? perhaps, but you got to do it anyway in my opinion.

it's always about balance.

cheers,
    steve

Thanks
    I m thinking about going to art center for illstration or fine art but i don't know how strong my skills got to be. I wonder if anybody can show me the art works got u guys in to the school to me.

Thanks

Art Center Portfolio

Well I am currently enrolled in an Illustration program here at Chicago but I want to be applying to art center with in the next year and head over there to finish up stuff. So my question is, what exactly do you recommend sending them? The usual? Life drawing, figure drawing and the like? Thanks for any help in advance.

The cowards never started and the weak died along the way.

Thanks
    Auguste / Arkady : I have a few works in the ringling thread if you want to check it out.

Thanks
    Arkady: Well, what I sent in was pretty much everything I accomplished at Pratt, but since I've seen a lot of just-out-of-highschool kids get in, I'm guessing the requirements for portfolio aren't quite as steep as they have been in previous years. But yeah, I suggest mostly classical stuff. They suggested when I brought my portfolio in for review that I add more figure drawing stuff, so I had to pad my portfolio a bit. Just let them know that you are technically capable. I sent in everything from life drawing, to digital illustration, entertainment design stuff, (characters, vehicles) and sculptures. Give them a variety of media and subject matter, but mainly make sure you have the traditional stuff down pat. Try to apply for scholarship for the term you are enrolling in, because it's a bit harder to get it when you are already in.

Chumps: I'm kinda in a weird place being a bit of 3rd and 4th term at the same time. Due to Pratt, I had my 1st term waived along with my liberal arts core and art history requirements. I'm totally gunna take Robison when I free up some time in my schedule, I didn't get a couple of teachers I wanted for the summer term so maybe I'll slip in some electives and whatnot. I also had similar reactions to some of the students at Pratt when I saw their work; however it was even more frustrating because there was absolutely no place for entertainment design type stuff. So when I saw my fellow classmates getting society of illustrator show opportunities, or Pratt Show featuring, I was a bit irritated when I knew I was better technically than them. In retrospect though I'm glad I went to Pratt because it gave me some good input about how to sell an idea without technical skill, but on the basis of style and concept. So it all worked out I just think that maybe the illustration dept should split and judge "normal" illustration, (traditional, editorial, the like) separately from entertainment design, because the basis for judgment is so very different based on the two. I think it's ridiculous to judge more expressive forms of illustration against stuff that exists purely to illustrate entertainment storylines. I think it’s easier to judge entertainment because it's a bit more technically subjective. But more traditional illustration, at least contemporary stuff, is a bit more fine-art like and deserves analysis on a few more levels. Or so I think.

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    i got some of my works here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...threadid=19990

could anyone give me some advice about what to put in?

or how do they look like to you for a portpolio for Art Center?

Thanks
    First of all, congratulations for getting in.

Secondly it's a good thing I ran into this thread and some good info (especially from helium and chumps). I'm planning on going to Art Center for spring 2004 and although I haven't turned in my application yet, I've got met with 2 people who reviewed my portfolio and from what they tell me it looks like I have a good chance (I hope) to get in.

I am a little worried about the money though, especially since I'm majoring in illustration for entertainment design. I'm not opposed to taking huge student loans but would those cover your living expenses? I'm afraid with what I'm making now I just have enough to pay off my existing debt and I won't really have a lot of money saved for living expenses.

Also, I was planning on going to the illustration scholarship presentation this thursday. Hopefully it will have some useful info, since it's a bit of a drive from where I'm at.

Anyway, if anyone has any info about these things, it would be much appreciated.

EDIT:
    J.Mac - Ohhh shoot. I completely missed your post the first time through. Congratulations man! Hopefully you feel all the work has paid off, you have been by far the most dedicated artist on the guest SP thread and I'm glad that you got in! You should post your portfolio in here somewhere!

Last edited by Groover McNab; April 6th, 2004 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks
    Groover Thanks a bunch!! I have been asking the same questions about money and living expenses too... i really need to find out soon. i will def. post my portfolio pieces when i get it back from them just so people can see where i am coming from. Groover I hope to see you at AC soon

-Jesse

Portfolio - Blog

Thanks
    auguste i looked at your figure work. looks good, you won't have a problem getting in as long as the transcripts you turn in aren't totally screwed up and you include some creative/personal work.

re: the scholarship info:

if its a long drive i dont think i would bother. most of the information is for upper term students looking for wall space (or so i hear)

you can get all the info u need by calling the financial aid office. they are very cool and helpful. basically, when you turn in your entrance portfolio and application you should be simultaneously applying for scholarship. all your finaid/fafsa materials should be turned in (and preferablly in the system) when you apply.

it's REALLY important to apply for scholarship upon enterting, cause that is when u have the least competition (competing against other applicants vs the entire school). if u are scholarship bound, make sure there is a good balance of technical work AND creative/personal stuff.

i dunno what the specific deadlines are for you guys so make sure you look it up.

re: grans/loans/etc. when u filled out your fafsa it should have asked you what kind of aid you want. everything u selected artcenter will TRY to get for you upon entering. this is what happened with me (much to my surprise). i got scholarship, loan, pell grant, fed something grant, and subsidized loans w/ only filling out the fafsa. if u need more u can look for work loans and stuff.

good luck

cheers,
    steve

Thanks
    Well I ended up going down there anyway and it was great. I enjoyed looking at Cliff Nielsen's work and all the displays up on the walls. Plus, I found out about a life drawing workshop at 2 pm that day, so I just kinda snuck in and started drawing

Also, gave me a chance to talk to some other counselors and got some pretty good info. I'll probably visit again on the 23rd to see the senior show.

Thanks
    well i'm gonna bump this thread back up, as i am interested in appplying for september 2005

right now i'm 18, i live in the UK and have almost finished high school (i have 2 weeks left).
    i got accepted into art college for a one year foundation course. which covers stuff like life drawing, anatomy stuff, light and colour, drawing, painting, photography, 3d etc etc.
    so after i finish that (about june/july 2005 time) i want to go to art center (well, i'll proba bly apply alot sooner than i finish, like maybe after christmas time)

so my first question is, how much harder is it for international students to get in? (not talking about no finacial aid, i meen just getting accepted)

and also, whats the deal on working? some say international students cant work. and some say they can. so can someone help me out with that?

could someone show some stuff from their portfolio that they submitted to art center? i would like to see how much i need to improve before sep 2005

if someone has time, they could check my sketchbook here to let me know where i stand and if i have a chance. (check the latest pages for recent stuff)

you could also check my old site with very dated stuff here!

i hope to learn alot in thie foundation course, and hopefully it will help me to gain a bit more experience and skills in art before i apply.

any help advice or info would be greatley appreciated.

peace

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Too sad many very talented people can't even think of going in such schools just because they're not making enough money.

Wasted

Thanks
    I do not recommend the ungrad. fine arts and graphic design programs at ArtCenter. The undergrad. fine arts program at ArtCenter is very limited and doesn't offer aspects like archit drafting, sculpture, ceramics, wood working, metal working, or other traditional fine art elements. Their program is sololy developed around contemporary fine art like Andy Worhol, Jackson Pollock, Ed Reinhart (sp?), and others. The undergrad. graphic design program from what I have heard from students who left the program is it's not to good.

As for the animation program or even an animation department didn't exist around the time I was there.

"You mean you don't make sound effects when you're painting?" -David Tillinghast

Thanks
    but what about illustration?

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Cartoonfox - This question would probably be better answered by students who go to the school, but from my perspective as an incoming student, visiting the school and viewing the work on several occassions, the illustration program is great. The work students produce there is very strong, although most of the stuff I've seen are from students who have been there for a while. From what I've been told the first 2 terms are pretty much fundamentals. Also, it seems they don't really transfer students in the traditional sense. I took my GE's in a community college and might not have to take them there, but I would still have to take 8 terms to finish with a degree, i'll just have a lighter load. Also I've been told that unless you're really good, that they won't waive any beginning studio classes even if you have taken them before at another college. They have said it happens, but very rarely. Anyway, maybe the accd students in this forum can confirm that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3