Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Spartan Camp #159 - 50 gestures + Optional "Joint Anatomy Study"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Spartan Camp #159 - 50 gestures + Optional "Joint Anatomy Study"

Spartan Camp #159 - 50 gestures + Optional "Joint Anatomy Study"

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 28th of November.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Joint Anatomy Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:
    Knees, shoulders, elbows, wrists, ankles,.... are the topic for this weeks' optional activity. Joint seems to be the most fitting term in this case, but it may not be perfect. Try and get some insight in how the bones involved articulate, how movement is created or what this looks like 'on the outside'. You can choose one or several, quick mechanical sketches or elaborate anatomical studies, anything. As always- reference advised, not obligatory. Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Critting each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #158

echo7925
    shiNIN
    aprat
    BlackDelphin
    krisCrash

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My first ones before I go to bed...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Might be an extremely newbie question, but what would be considered a gesture? Just poses?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LovelyMe View Post
    Might be an extremely newbie question, but what would be considered a gesture? Just poses?
    It's in Anthis's post:
    - The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific.
    Even if some of these aren't really gestures...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LovelyMe View Post
    It is a sketch that, rather than getting lost in detail, conveys the overall shape and motion, the gesture of the body. I would say.

But I don't speak English normally, here we just say croquis which means.. sketch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by krisCrash View Post
    But I don't speak English normally, here we just say croquis which means.. sketch
    Oh my art teacher said the same

I'm so lazy, no more pic from me yet

(Full body) gesture means pose minus anatomy to me. I'm so bad at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's mine
    50 gesture without refs...
    coming up with the joints study soon!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LJS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

HI everyone!

My name is Kay and I'm a Spartan Camp virgin
    This is my first contribution...my first 10 gestures, from imagination.

Well, ok, I'm not a complete n00b to gesture drawings, bu the last time I did it it seemed light years ago, you know, when I was still in school and everything. I hope that this activity will help me get back on track!
    Will try to do at least 10 more today

and LJS...OMG dude that's totally awesome. You capture the essence of the poses in just a few swift lines..well I mean THAT'S the point but im just so out of touch with gesture drawings

p.s. crits GREATLY appreciated!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I missed last 2 ones I'll definitely do my 50 till sunday and throw some crits/praise!

My sketchbook Crits and advice highly encouraged!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's Cat Week for me it seems
    These went pretty quickly and easy... I should draw more cats I didn't analyzed them at all just drew.

My human bunch is in progress and I plan to do much more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK 50 completed YAY! now just got the joint studies to do!

11-20 human adult torso studies from imagination
    21-30 human adult legs studies from imagination
    31-40 bunnies! hope cartoon bunnies are ok for this activity? I love them and I love drawing them so much. They make me happy
    41-50 pose drawings from posemaniacs.com...took a few minutes each for top half gestures, and for the bottom half gestures I used the 30 second gesture drawing thingie in their website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

14. The Following User Says Thank You to surus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I couldn't not smile while looking at the bunnies either

Another few... it's so hard I will try to focus on the gestures ONLY next time, but human anatomy is so interesting and exciting...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    LovelyMe - That's a good question actually. There is a really good discussion on it in this thread. Can't say I'm an expert, but from what I can gather gestures could be viewed as short poses. As an exercise or to prepare for a bigger work. Rather than on details, they are usually focused on the overall shape, form, motion and feeling of a pose. They can depict the action of a pose. Gesture drawing is sort of a 'foundation'. Some of the others gave pretty good explanations.
    Even so, I'll accept quick poses and long studies as well for this exercise. This activity is mostly figure drawing oriented, in a broad sense. Perhaps 'figures' would be better in the title. Take a look at some of the previous rounds to get a good idea. Just give it a try!

shiNIN - Nice cats! Your approach really works there, perhaps we are over-thinking things. Figures getting better... You know its not really a problem to do some detailed anatomy. I'd agree its exciting. Its just that the details won't save a drawing if the underlying 'gesture' doesn't work.

LJS- Nice! Some of these are very expressive, powerful, with a lot of motion. without the need for a lot of detail. You use very effective forms for the chest, head and limbs, but less for the pelvis. Perhaps you should define that a little more. Tough but important part. Really nice going though. I love the interacting poses.

kayness - Hi and welcome! No problem with cartoony gestures, and no problem with bunnies either. Good stuff! Nice to hear you're trying to pick this up again. It's interesting to see how the first poses are relatively 'flat' and without overlapping forms, but they are getting more dynamic and '3d' along the way. You have a nice approach, with the flow lines. Keep it up! give some anatomy studies, figure drawing (best is from life!) a try!

Quick animals (30sec) from Link, then timed (30sec) from posemaniacs and Link. Then some from imagination.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Focused on joints this time, sorry for confusing numbering

Anthis: great as usual, I like last one most, those figures have a nice 3d feel
    shiNIN: awesome cats, and great work on hands, I really like them
    kayness: cute bunnies
    LJS: nice variety of poses, very dynamic as well

My sketchbook Crits and advice highly encouraged!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to brambor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthis View Post
    You know its not really a problem to do some detailed anatomy. I'd agree its exciting. Its just that the details won't save a drawing if the underlying 'gesture' doesn't work.
    Very true, I realized long ago I have very serious problems with the most basic things and I have some knowledge about details...
    Not only that, I simply have no time to waste on details if I mess up the basics. I often jump into details too soon, it's hard to fight against it

I can't even draw a standing man in 3/4 view. Here's he very beginning to change this fact, a quick Tegaki girl (copy) and my new Tegaki avatar made at a too late hour to be good. It's a wonderful mummy though, I will go to Palermo and see him with my own eyes next year, I can't wait

No optional this time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shinin - Nice cats and generally nice use of color. I'm not sure how i feel about the big brushes you're using. It stops you from using too much detail in quick sketches, but at the same time it hides subtle mistakes.
    LJS - The gestures feel very lively considering that you didn't use reference.
    Kayness - Some of those torsos and legs are very good but i think the waists are sometimes too narrow. I can tell you've been practicing bunnies.
    Anthis - It sometimes seems like your imagined gestures are better that the referenced ones.
    brambor - Good on you for attacking a specific subject at a time!

Graphite or ink from live model, between 30 seconds and 10 minutes.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aprat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aprat: you are right... I'm still don't know which brush to use, if I switch to a small one, I miss the big one and vice versa. Pen pressure usually affects size but it has its limits... It will work out I hope

Your gestures are very nice in general but sometimes you give stronger, bigger lower half to your figures (2nd row, 2nd and 3rd pictures).

brambor:
    Good work, I see the gestures in most drawing very well, they are good to look at them too... Some of them are weaker but I'm bothered by those soft brush shaded knees...
    They look amateurish. I personally don't even use soft brushes at all and I think sketches are much better without them.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kayness: Nice use of cages in your gestures. I would like to see some more dynamic poses if you try them from imagination.

shiNIN: concerning the brush issue... use it in a more painterly way if you decide to keep the same brush. Instead of trying to get the contour lines, build your shapes with mass of values. Good work!

Brambor:Nice studies. I should really start drawing more hands just like you did. Maybe you should spend more time on weight value on your lines. It would pop up much more.

Anthis: Not much to crit. I really like the energic lines you've got there. A big thanks for the links I'll use those for sure!

Aprat: good structure in your drawings. Some of your figures seems compressed by the canvas. Give them more space to breath

edit: a 45min study from here...hope that count as a joint study even if the hole figure is there

Last edited by LJS; November 29th, 2010 at 03:26 PM.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LJS For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.