Best schools for Game design/illustration in general?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Best schools for Game design/illustration in general?

I'm currently wrapping up my sophmore year at College for Creative Studies in Detroit, and I've come to the realization that Michigan is no place for illustrators, unless you want to draw cars or do advertising. I really want to do character/monster concepts for video games or possibly movies/animation. However, I want broad enough skills that would allow me to fall back on book or editorial illustration if I changed my mind somewhere along the way. I've been looking into Art Center, and was wondering if anyone could recommend that school, or any other school. I was thinking mainly of California, since all the entertainment jobs seem to be out there for the most part, but I'm open to anything. What schools could best prepare me?

Thanks.. oh yeah, I'm new to this forum, too.. so hi. ^^

"I say a lot of stuff, but I can't
    remember anything..."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey robin, good to see you on the boards. i go to CCS too. im in illustration too, you probably know who i am. yeah CCS definetly isnt aimed towards the game industry but i hear that a game department is indevelopment. its probably going to start when we both get out of school but hey its a start. id say start doing concept art and stuff like that. you may want to start learning how to do storyboards(which i hear art center doesnt teach, might be wrong)

as for schools, there art center, gnomon(3d school) thing is that there are game companies that arent in california, i know there are some in texas. I know EA has tons of locations. theres one at the art institue of pitsburg. i found out i wanted to do concept art in my second semester junior year but i spent most of the next year getting better and focusing on that stuff in Gils classes. he allows you to do that stuff in illustration 4 and 5. so if you want to continue at ccs, then you have 2 whole years, 1 more than me to prepare yourself and you have access to lots of supportive teachers that helped me, imran, jason, and angie for the concept art.

if your really interested, talk to find me in and around school and ill help you out if i can. you can also ask Dave Chow, he knows what it takes to do concept art.

ps: it seems that you need to know 3d programs even if you want to be strictly a 2d concept artist to get into the game industry, anyone know why? anyways, id say since you got some electives coming up, take intro to 3d or 3d 1 as elective. the vis com class in the id department can also help you with the marker rendering and drawing volumetricly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, how'd you know who I was? :p

Thanks for the info... perhaps if I get a minute between classes I can track you down or AIM you. Your words are encouraging and sort of make me want to stay at CCS, but I'm not sure yet. I posted that question about knowing 3d for doing 2d concept work, but I haven't checked for replies yet. I definitely want to learn 3D, but I don't want to do it for a living. Nice website, btw.

"I say a lot of stuff, but I can't
    remember anything..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    forgot to say this, i suggest that you apply as a member at gamasutra.com

they post job postions a lot for the game industries. lots of information about the game industry. but you shouldnt worry about jobs yet. you should worry about getting really, really, really good.

Last edited by ChenZan; March 16th, 2004 at 10:33 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.