Linux - more ArtRage-like alternative to MyPaint ?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Linux - more ArtRage-like alternative to MyPaint ?

I am running Ubuntu Linux on my Laptop and the only Windows-based thing I am still missing is ArtRage. MyPaint offers reasonable functions, but this great, real paint-on-canvas-feeling just seems to be missing.

Is there anything out there apart from actual canvas and oil colors?

Greetings
    Sarah

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As an oil painter, it took me a bit to come around to Mypaint, but I found some brushes that suit my purpose after a bit of testing them all out. Another alternative is using Artrage under Wine, although personally Wine has been nothing but flaky for me.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=1901
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=174361

Don't know how much screwing around you want to do! Again, not a recommendation, but an option.

*edit- to open .ora (if you decide on Mypaint) in Gimp you will need this: http://registry.gimp.org/node/18435

Last edited by John Q Lethargic; November 21st, 2010 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your answer, John.

I did try to run ArtRage under Wine and it just never seemed to work... it was driving me nuts. Maybe its time for another try. But usually yes, I love screwing around, or why would I be using Linux ?

And that question with the brushes, you are right. There might be enough brush options in mypaint to save my day - I will have another look at them. I would find it frustrating to have to return to Windows for one software's sake.

Never tried to open the .ora files in Gimp, I usually just save the .ora files as jpg.

Greetings
    Sarah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    * on the subject of .ora, it's basically Mypaint's way to save a file composed of multiple layers- if you don't use layers don't bother! I think, and I may be wrong here, that ora may also store other data, like the cool eyedropper that selects both the color and brush settings that made the stroke.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to John Q Lethargic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I didn't know the eyedropper could also catch the brush setting. I had some problems with the eyedropper, it seemed to block the program.

And Art Rage continues to refuse to install.

Maybe I need a double boot Windows/Linux, if my low-budget-laptop can handle it.

Thanks for helping!

Greetings
    Sarah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something worth trying in Linux, with the GIMP is a series of tool setting developed by Spanish artist and software developer Ramon Miranda called the GIMP Paint Studio. He's also developed a lot for MyPaint as well. As far as getting real close to natural media in GIMP, his work has dramatically changed GIMP over the last couple years!

Here is his blog with links to his Google Summer of Code project for GPS which is coming up on its v1.5!

http://ramonmirandavisualart.blogspot.com/

Is it like ArtRage? Nope. However, its a good mix of what we like about bits and pieces of Photoshop and Painter (minus the good CYMK color and print support since GIMP is indeed still limited in that regard...). Ramon's pencil brushes have really been getting me more and more into the GIMP lately.

Michael "Sudsy" Sutherland

CA sketchbook

Deviant Art Galleries:
    Sudsy Sutherland

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.