Sketchbook: Charles Bargue Drawing Course in a Week: Day 7 (42/70 Pages Done)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Charles Bargue Drawing Course in a Week: Day 7 (42/70 Pages Done)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Charles Bargue Drawing Course in a Week: Day 7 (42/70 Pages Done)

Ladies and Gentlemen, I will now attempt the impossible. There is a cast drawing course that begins next month so, as preparation, I decided to go through the entire first section of the Bargue Drawing Course by next Sunday (I'm taking a day-long break for thanksgiving ). If Frazetta went through Bridgeman and Perard over the course of one night, then I can do this over the course of a week. The first three pages are from june, august and september. The rest was done today. LET'S BEGIN!

DAY 1 (Some vanderpoel studies from yesterday too ^^):

These obviously don't do justice to the actual drawings in the book. Buy it and study it for yourself. It's incredible. Until tomorrow!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by isso09; November 28th, 2010 at 10:17 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm interested to see how this works out. I think you are copying these more as they were meant to be copied, not slaving over them for 60 hours using sight size methods like most people do now. I have been a bit afraid even to copy them because it is almost expected now that if you are doing a Bargue study it is to the point where it is literally identical to the original and is the definition of accuracy.

Keep it up, I'm sure you can finish it if you put your mind to it.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew Sonea: I'm not sure if this is the way they were meant to be copied, but it's just the way that (I think) will allow me to get the most information out of them in the least amount of time. There is definitely a benefit to slaving over them, I just don't have that kind of attention span. Anyway, thanks for dropping by!

Day two. I'm already worried that I won't be able to finish. Which is good, because the stress will probably push me to the limit. Cue the montage music. Which, in this case is HOLY GRAIL YEAAAAH!!

If any of you have the book, I would appreciate if you pointed out any drawing/value mistakes! I could definitely keep refining them, but it becomes progressively harder and harder to see errors the more time you spend staring at it, so I constantly have to compromise between learning drawing and anatomy, quality over quantity.

I almost wish I couldn't see my own errors, because then I'd be able to move on a lot easier. It REALLY sucks when you're half way through rendering and you realize you made a drawing boo-boo.

Earlier I felt that my progress wasn't keeping up with the difficulty curve. Which is awesome, because that's how you get better. Difficulty growing exponentially.

About midday I was beginning to feel skeptical as to the usefulness of these, but by the end of the day I realized that I was seeing values a LOT better. There's a reason why all the masters studied older masters to get better.

In retrospect, I should have probably kept to the rendering style from yesterday. I started to get a little carried away with details, maybe.

DAY 2!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This may not be the original way they were intended to be copied, but it's not like there are any rules, right?
    I think what you're doing is awesome, and you're certainly going to learn a good bit from doing this. Nice going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jeremygordon89: Thanks for the support, man! I sure hope I'm learning things that will pay off for imagination drawing. If not, I guess this will help life drawing, which will in turn help imagination etc...

Day Three! It's already becoming apparent that I won't be able to finish the whole first section in a week.. Technically, it would be possible if I didn't have any other time commitments except food and sleep. Unfortunately, that is not the case, and so I will shoot for being done by 11:59pm on sunday. Today I got exactly half of what I wanted done because girlfriend.

That's not to mention compromises I'm making between learning and my health. For some reason sitting in this chair and painting for 8+ hours a day makes various parts of my body very sore, and I'm afraid of ending up like algenpfleger. I may just be a pussy though.

Bargue put in his own rough sketches here to help you with drawing, and to mock you with his superior skill. He's a crafty one, sneaking in more and more half tones with every cast. I will definitely get better at seeing/placing values, especially after the cast painting course is over!

DAY 3:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Even if you are not doing as much as you had planned you are still doing a fair bit. If I may make a suggestion though, it appears your end goal is to have this help with imagination stuff. If that is the case, I would recommend doing a study or two from your mind each day after the studies. That way you do it when it is still fresh in your mind, and it will be better retained.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh nice dude. the instructor at the fine arts class i was taking was doing these so i recognize most of these he did em in charcoal though and they tookforever. i was gonna say add some light tones to the grayscale, but you beat me to it. nice work!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    okay this is awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies, keep it up!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 577 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies isso, lot of improvement since i last saw your stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi isso09 I think what you've done so far looks really good. Also sounds like you are seeing your own errors which is good. It's great to see someone being so ambitious and cool to have so many Bargue drawings on one page. I reckon if you keep this up you'll have a very good start when your cast drawing course starts. Well done and good luck.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew Sonea: You're totally right. I'm gonna sink my teeth into my imagination stuff once I'm done with this book. In a roundabout way, though, getting better a life drawing ultimately helps with drawing from imagination, I think. Anyway we'll see in a week, right?

lancer_idenoure: Thanks man! The light tone studies are actually more akin to painting from imagination, because the values range is greater than in the book, so I'm basically "transposing" the values into a higher contrast environment. It's good practice to keep everything consistent, but it takes longer.

a la bapsi: Damn straight.

Emil_: Indeed.

Fetsch: YOOO FETSCH! Thanks man, but YOU are telling ME about improvement? Your work kicks ass dude. I gotta catch up.

Marian Rowling: Thanks buddy! I will sure try to keep it up.

Day Four is a sad day. Life happened. Sorry everyone. Plus, the studies are getting more complicated. A man can really get lost in those halftones...

The complexity of the beauty of these casts is so far beyond my comprehension that I feel like I've never painted before. What does two years matter anyway?

I am certainly developing my bon goût. I've redrawn various body parts so many times, I can approximate them from memory. I'm also getting so precise with values that I have trouble telling the slight changes in tonality of the paper from changes in form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is really great work and a truly ambitious goal. I hope you get through the whole thing, you are certainly well on your way. I did 3 of these back in the summer and spent a good 20-30 hours on each one, its cool to see someone doing several in a day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok yeah ima have to get this book. my old art teacher said they were SUPER expensive though. know anything to help me out with that? day 4's stuff is awesome btw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    stuford: Yeah, as you can see I did three over the summer as well. They took me about an hour each. These are starting to border on 1.5 hours though. I'm sure by the end I won't have time to do more than 2 a day.

lancer_idenoure: Yeah mine wat $150, but worth every dollar. The second section is even more intense, and has a bunch of master copies that are really really good. I know for a fact that ateliers have the students copy this book before getting to actual cast drawing. So yeah, you can probably find it used too.

Day Five. Or rather, four and a half. I'm taking the bus to my girlfriend's house for thanksgiving, so that's the end of Bargue until Friday. In order to make up for yesterday, though, I woke up at 3 this morning and did these until now.

As they are getting harder, I'm getting much better at spotting my mistakes, so I take more time to make them as perfect as I can.

I don't really care about the fact that I won't achieve my goal, because I will probably learn more by taking a little more time with these. I will still spend all my non-thanksgiving hours doing this, however without the possibility of success it's going to be harder to stay motivated. Which is a good challenge. You guys have been a big help though, so thanks!

On a side note, I really did NOT want to paint those toes as much as I did, but I just couldn't stop myself. If there's ever a case where lack of self control is a positive thing, this is it. Enjoy.

DAY FOUR AND A HALF

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to say that this is exceptionally cool! Would love to tackle this at some point

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow. very impressive. You're inspiring me to dust off my copy and give Bargue another shot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    oh man so much good in this!
    firstly, @ lance - it's worth buying but if you want i can give you upload a pdf for you of the book, add me on msn or pm me yeah (anyone for that matter heh)
    secondly, dude your fucking killing it, your doing them soo well! but it's also good to do a long study, to teach you patience, you said before you have a short attention span, so this will help build your attention span, the idea is to go long and hard on it and spend a lot of time on it. but this will teach you alot about lighting and form and even anatomy
    and everything will help your imaginative drawing, go out and draw aswell, observational drawing brings life into your work
    your shits really good man, and your going to improve a heap from these. good luck with it! i might do it some time, your gonna start a trend i swear!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whirly: You are exceptionally cool. If you tackle them.

Papageo: Dude if you paid $150 bucks for it, you better dust it off. You just have to start. The rest is easy.

Ryanoir: Yeah the long studies will be the actual cast studies. I'm gonna see if I can do them on my laptop too. If I can, I'm gonna put them up on my sketchy. Thanks for the encouragement, dude!

For real day 5. Got back from thanksgiving at my girlfriend's and felt like a lazy piece of crap. Needed half the day to digest food and run internet errands. At this point, my goal is to get to the torsos before the cast drawing course begins this monday. I will continue doing bargues during it, but it won't be as intense.

Those legs were definitely the hardest and most time consuming of all the studies I've done so far. Probably took 3 hours in total. I also scanned them in to double check proportions for the first time. But yeah, I learned a ton just trying to get it to match the scan somewhat. Ryanoir was right. After that, these faces are a breeze.

DAY FIVE:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I did some of these then stopped.

I got out of it what I needed. If I went further, I'd have been a zerox machine.

Besides, I've seen the drawings in atelier (sp) class and even though it's nice, I didn't want to illustrate that way. Just wanted the skillset added.

Good luck on these. Though, you're gaining a lot in speed, IMO you may be missing out on the length end of doing these studies. Missing the visual nuances that the focus on of master studies teaches, & the patience gained, the seeing in contour, building from shadow, & tonal range. But hell, that's just me.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, awesome man, i should do some of these thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    are you doing it from page 1 > end? or just random?
    and are you reading all the stuff too?
    im thinking ill start it in a couple o weeks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OmenSpirits: You're right, I am missing a lot of information on these. But right now the important thing is anatomy. The nuances will come when I do more, I think. And especially when I'm doing my cast studies. This is still preparation for that.

Lang Oulk: Thank YOU for getting inspired!

Ryanoir: Yes, these are done in sequence the way Bargue intended. That's why they get progressively harder and take longer. I read about the course and how you're supposed to do them. I didn't read the history of it much. Couldn't wait to get to drawing

DAY SIX. Fuck Ears. And Toes.

No dad or girlfriend will get in my way, for better or for worse.

Man, this guy just doesn't let up! For a brief period after those legs things seemed easy, but then he throws in a bottom view and a horse head (which I skipped). SO GOOD!

I realized that what I'm doing is basically giving myself the (now deceased) Concept Art Atelier education for under $1000. Daily duels serve as my imagination practice every day (although I spent significantly less time on them since I started this). Then starting Monday it's gonna be all cast drawing, life drawing, still life and anatomy studies (from Bridgeman and Vanderpoel). Hopefully by the end of this year I can catch up to all the other Algenpfleger-ers. (like Eidenet and Parsakoira)

I guess these guys are getting too complicated for me to do more than 8 a day. Or I'm getting less efficient. That's a bad way to look at it though. I'm still learning a tonne.

DAY 6:

25. The Following User Says Thank You to isso09 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woop, looking great! such a good challenge
    once you finish i think you should do a long study of this it looks so challenging! ill do it aswell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really admire your ambition. I've heard of this before but never bought the book because it's so expensive. I guess I can only speak from personal experience but to really learn something, it takes time to understand and remember it. Just because you get through the whole book in a week(which is a huge accomplishment btw) that doesn't mean you'll remember everything you did. Even though Frazetta claimed he did study bridgeman in a day and understood it completely, he was an art prodigy so I guess he could do it. Not everyone is like that. I know I'm not. So just remember that taking your time with something is still good to do to absorb the material you are doing. I know for me, it takes a really long time for things to stick into my head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ryanoir: That's gonna be pretty hard. Maybe once I'm done my cast drawing course too.

istmin52: I agree with what you are saying, however there is a difference between taking time to study values and proportions of the masses and ironing out quirks in the brush work, getting hair or rocks right etc. You don't really learn much from the latter, and it takes about 3 out of 6 hours I could have spent on these. Those extra 2 hours would have done a lot though, I agree. And now that the challenge is done, I'm gonna spend more time on them. On Frazetta though, I don't think he was a prodigy or what not. He's just a dude who started drawing really early on and had a TON of experience before painting. He found a market that was not explored by his generation of artists, and became really full of himself, spreading the myth about his "gift." Really he's just a dude who worked his ass off and got really lucky.

Day Seven. We're done here. I spent most of the day with my girl. Oops. I'm gonna continue doing these, but if you wanna follow along you'll have to refer to my sketchy, because that's where I'll be uploading them. CAST DRAWING COURSE STARTS TOMORROW WOOO!!

Day 7:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    elaborate on your cast drawing course fool!
    this last ones great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well done Anton you've done a great job. I checked out your work on Daily Duels and your blog. I was amazed at the amount of detail your paintings convey with such a minimum amount of brushwork. I shall sign up to your SB so I can keep following along. Great stuff all round. Hope you have a great time on your Cast drawing course.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, first of all, congratulations for making it this far with the bargue studies, they really look awesome! I dont know if you stopped at day 7 or continued the book without posting them here ? Maybe your just too busy with your new classes .
    Anyway, OmenSpirit posted a link to your sketchbook in a thread I started, I just bought the book and had the intention of doing them digitally like you did but never saw anybody do them digitally... so its really amazing to see that someone gave it a try with such amazign results.
    So if you dont mind i would ask you a couple of questions about your experience, any answer would be really appreciated
    Where did you place the original plate while you were copying ? Was it scanned and placed next to yoru drawing in a photoshop document, or did you just kept the book next to your computer and eyeballing without using the sight size technique ?
    You also seem to use a pretty basic round brush for your lines, and something more like an airbrush for the values.. did you ever try other types of brushes to do them ?
    Thanks a lot for posting these, you did an amazing job and really inspired me to give it a try, I hope mines will be as successful..
    Cheers

Members who have read this thread: 3