Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 643 Posts

Teen Challenge 100 :: Last Teen Standing - Final Round

Welcome to the 100th round of teen challenge. For this special round we will be having a knockout competition known by the name of "Last Teen Standing". The rules and details are below, I hope you all enjoy and push yourselves to new levels.

Round 3

What it is ::

This is a knockout meaning that each participant will be placed in a group. You must each create a piece which follows the theme given and your piece will then be judged against your group member's works. The two people with the highest round from each group will move on to the next round and so the challenge will progress until there is a "Last Teen Standing" (yes I keep repeating that because it's cool)

Rules ::

Anyone aged 13 - 19 may take part

1. Your Piece must be created for teen challenge and no previous artwork is to be used
    2. Your piece must show some indication of how you followed the theme
    3. You must show at least two WIPs
    4. Make sure that the piece is in before the deadline
    5. Upload your images using the CA attachment manager
    6. Add a border around your image with the theme, your name and teen challenge included
    7. Post your FINAL image in the FINALS THREAD

Themes ::

Pick one, the choice is yours individually

Hell
    Legendary
    Epic

Deadline ::

Sunday 28th of November

Prizes ::

Massive Black Downloads
    Scholarships to TAD

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196928

The Winning Piece will be used as the new Teen Challenge Banner

Proceedings ::

Round 2 will have 4 groups of 4 people. Depending on whether we want 3 or 4 rounds either 1 or 2 people will go through to round 3.
    Round 3 will either be the final, so one pool of 4 people going for a true battle, or it'll be the semifinals of 2 groups and then there will of course be a 4th round which will be the final. This all depends on the number of people and drop outs that we get.

The Groups ::

Final Pool

PieMonster
    Xinranliu
    OmertA
    Andrew Sonea

Post your WIPS in this thread. Other than that Best of Luck

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nibras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ready...
    Set...
    GO!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 748 Posts
    First rough sketch. I went for Hell, and thought that Prometheus' punishment of having an eagle eat his liver (which would then grow back) every single day while he was chained up would be very appropriate. I want to go for a very Baroque sort of look in the end.

Erm, any crits are more than welcome. It is very early, so don't be afraid of saying major things.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Looking good, Andrew. You should probably show us his hand instead of cropping it like that.

Here's my WIP. I went for legendary, going for a legendary post-apocalyptic outlaw gunman of the Martian Waste. C/C please!

Attachment 1106477

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xinranliu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    xinranliu: Thanks for the tip on the hand. I guess I'll play around with how I want to crop. Also, when I saw yours I was all "oh shit...mine sucks" haha. I'm absolutely loving the lighting on yours. Just a couple things: one, the thing in the foreground on the counter, I am not entirely sure what it is, so be sure to make it read well. And two, his proportions seem a little odd. I think his legs are maybe a bit low and small? Maybe try drawing out a skeleton on another layer just to see how it works underneath all the clothing.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks!

Btw it's a high-tech hookah. Instead of that flavoured crap, you inhale some black market hyper-stimulants. I'll make sure it's clear enough haha.

Thanks
    haha finally. might drop a wip again just for practice. lookin forward to the finals for this round. should be pretty awesome

heres some crits

andrew sonea: hmm i thought it was a crow in the story...lol i havent read mythology in a while. im liking the composition and it looks like your anatomy got a lot better his right forarm looks a little long though. and to fix that crop issue, i think having his left arm raised up over his forhead would work. thatll add to the agony thing too. nice start

xinranliu: wow nice man im seein a lot of improvement! same thing andrew said, just raise his legs up a bit. his arm holding the glass also looks kindof stiff. lean your arm on a counter and i youll see what i mean. i think it should be farther out from his body. i think the composition is working well, but its a kinda boring angle. nitpicky i know, but its the final round you could play of the top lighing a little more too imo. and one last thing, i think to make the "legendary" part more obvious, a wanted poster of him on the wall would be a very nice touch

nice work guys, lookin forward to the finals

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Worked on this a bit more. Not sure how happy I am with it so far...I am having trouble with his head. I think it shows agony better with it tilted back, but compositionally works better like this. Also it is really hard to draw the head as tilted back as I initially had it.

Anyhow, I should probably grab reference soon as I am beginning to muck about a bit and being slightly undecided on exactly where to put shadows or how the anatomy should be and such.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Andrew- I'm liking the head on the first better, but I think a mix between the two might just get it done.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I decided to restart, I realized that I wasn't satisfied with the storytelling/pose of the last one... Note to self: do thumbnails!

Attachment 1108706

Thanks
    Yeah, Andrew, I agree with Pixie. The head on the first one looks better.

And Xin, loooking gooood.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aksel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    All entries must be completed by 12gmt Tonight

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    Was a fun challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone has been brewing up topic I chose was epic
    Dont have the last teen standing or my user name on the final not sure if thats okay? Wanted to keep the design simple since it might be used for the banner.
    Have a good one everybody

Attachment 1110827
    Name:  Legendary Final1.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  475.8 KB
    Last edited by Jamie Romoser; November 28th, 2010 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks
    That's frigin sick OmertA, seriously put a smile on my face seeing that piece

Thanks
    Were we supposed to do a banner for Teen Challenge? I'm just putting the finishing touches on mine, but I just did a regular painting.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    No worries Andrew, will just take a couple of tweaks most likely, as long as the topic wasn't banner, it doesn't really matter what kind of format your piece is.