"Behind You" (lighting and color crits, please) - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Behind You" (lighting and color crits, please)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, here's how it looks with sharp dropoff. I've started to clean it up a little. The actual image is enormous, because I was initially planning on going into detail. I don't want to leave it this rough, but I'll avoid cluttering it up with detail. I guess I'll start working on a copy just to be safe, ha ha. I'm so paranoid that I'm gonna ruin a picture when I work on it, and have done too much to go back. The kind of "ruined" that sneaks up on you as you finish a piece, not a single big mistake. Like deciding to detail it. Ah, well.

I'm done for the night, but this is already turning out much better than a lot of my previous work. I won't even bother linking my dA at this point. I'm more tempted to disown it.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!~

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've done some more cleanup. I decided to make the near "statue" have a more realistic mouth, to match the far one.

Full size is 3776x5050px, so I have a lot of room for detail. I'm attempting to keep the painterly feel of the piece, but the high resolution allows me to get extremely precise and sharp edges on everything. It still feels a little streaky, but when I tried smoothing it, the statues started to loose the stone-like texture. I can always go into detail or scale down if I decide the pic doesn't need it, but it's hard to scale up a piece if you decide it's too small for detail work. *sigh*

I'm mostly going by feel with the lighting so far. I'm more familiar with infinite directional light sources (i.e. sunlight), so please feel free to correct me on the point lighting here.

I'm trying to decide whether I want the stone surfaces (floor, pillars) to be polished, or simply smooth stone like they are now. I love playing with reflective surfaces, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea for this piece. I think I'm going to switch from working on the background and start painting the character at this point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say, I am VERY satisfied with the way this is turning out.

Not done working values on the panther guy, but they're pretty much roughed in. It needs some refinement, but it's to the point where some crit on the lighting would be very helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there. First of all, I just want to say I like your drawing/painting style. It has a good sense of form and an easy looseness.

So I didn't see that this thread made it to the second page, so I was still looking at your previous WIPs, but I don't think it's too late to change stuff around if you wanted to. I wasn't feeling good about the positioning/feel of the cat in the bg because a cat that's in silent hunting mode likes to get down close to the ground.

So here's a possible rework for you to consider:
    I think, not only does it improve the positioning of that lurking cat, but it improves the composition in that it promotes the main character in the hierarchy so you see him BEFORE you see that there's a big monster in the shadows behind him.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wooblood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @wooblood

Well, that's what layers are for! I think I'll try changing the posture of the rear cat. I don't know about upsizing the character, though. I may just move him to the left, since I want to keep the current scale. I'll play around with it. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wooblood, thanks again for the PO and advice. It looks so much better than before, I agree.

Here's an update!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I think it's starting to look good. I'm not sure how much more needs doing with the BG, other than cleanup. I think I can be vague with the ceiling as long as the lighting makes sense, yes?

It's almost ready for color!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Starting to add color. Not sure what to do with the background, color-wise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sup Jenna. It's coming along! I'm glad I could help with that monster issue.

I don't have much to add right now, but as a personal suggestion, I would try losing the edges on the monster and keeping the shading pretty simple because the eyes already make it very obvious that there's a dangerous creeper back there. I think it would enhance the feeling of the unknown danger.

I'm sure this will look pretty awesome by the time you're done.

Darkwolf currently lives in the wilds of Pembrokeshire, and rumours of Donner Party goings on are to be fully discounted!
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep an overall theme, and remember that the colour wheel is your best mate in the whole wide world. you might want a bit more texturing on the top of that hood, it looks a bit clean... but I'm liking the shiny! xD

"Most people have to be mad to work here... I live in one of the few places you have to be mad to live here..."
    -Darkwolf (aka Jamie Thomas Durbin)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think the torch bothers me a little. It's rather uniform; fire moves more randomly in waves of heat, think of thin transparent pieces of cloth being blown upwards by the wind.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.