Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

I think I'm going insane.. no really, I think I am

I think I'm going insane.. Last night I couldn't completely fall asleep because my brain somehow made me confused over something I normally wouldn't be confused over. I can't really explain it but it made me so dizzy and confused that I felt really bad.. like sickly bad. I had to get up and sit down and wait it out and focus my thoughts on nothing-ness. And today I still feel dizzy and that confusing feeling is still scraping my mind.

It made no sense, it was like I was awake and sleeping at the same time and I was feeling reaaaally paranoid.. I recently took a shower thinking it'd shake the feeling off but it didn't. I'm still really tired, like I'm just about to fall asleep and I've felt like this the entire day.

Am I loosing it?

No seriously, am I? What the hell is this, I've never before experienced anything like this.

-------------------------------------
    you don't have to read further.

I'll try to explain what I was thinking about the other night, although I don't think it has anything to do with what's going on but I guess it might be interesting.

It's like I fell asleep but didn't start sleeping. It's like that feeling when you're trying to sleep but there's something in the room keeping you awake and it drives you crazy. But for me, it was this weird thought that made me go crazy and it didn't even make sense. I was somehow thinking about contracts (I signed a contract for my next apartment recently) and for some reason I started thinking "what is a contract, really? do they control my life? is it something that exists but still not exists but it's still controlling me?" stuff like that. I can't completely remember everything. I had to get up, go to the kitchen and sit still, but it still haunted my brain it was like thoughts I was thinking even though I tried not to. I woke up my girlfriend and said "HELP ME I CAN'T STOP THINKING MAKE IT STOP I THINK I'M GOING INSANE WTF IS GOING ON" lol. I sat still for like 15 minutes and went to sleep focusing on things like.. flying or walking an never ending road.. something completely mindless. It made it go away.

Thinking about it, this happened once before. But it was a bit different.
    That time I had sores on my lips that was itching and I couldn't fall asleep. But during that night it wasn't exactly that that kept me from falling asleep. It was a word I was looking for but I couldn't find it and I kept thinking of it until I got it and when I did, I started making up these crazy theories again that made no sense what so ever. But then again, the sores on my lip was the thing that kept me from falling asleep.. but I'm still a bit unsure if the thought would have kept going on even if I didn't have sores. Because that night I had to get up and sit down for about 20 minutes before I could go to bed (I also put some ice on the sore so it would numb my lip).

Help D:

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Welcome to growing up and not being dead.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Two Listen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 916 Posts
    Most likely you're suffering stress. It comes in all sorts of forms, but I think much of what you've said can come from chronic stress. (the paranoa, insomnia and even cold sores can be symptoms, I believe)

The lack of sleep from the stress might be making your thoughts a little dis-jointed.
    So,
    How long have you been awake?
    - Sketchbook -
    Cheers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    there was a time when i was like this, but that was when i was in the beginning of my highschool years.

This thought of everyone is not real was on my mind. They are not real human, i can kill them and they will still be alive.
    It was crazy i tell ya

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oni Rem View Post
    there was a time when i was like this, but that was when i was in the beginning of my highschool years.

This thought of everyone is not real was on my mind. They are not real human, i can kill them and they will still be alive.
    It was crazy i tell ya
    Interesting you say that, Allot of people in their teens experience sensations like that. I'm sure there's a term for it, but I can't remember. :/

Also, I forgot to mention that I'm pretty sure that you're not going crazy, Loathsome. Everyone gets times like that at some point, mainly when stressed +tired.
    - Sketchbook -
    Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    Nothing to worry about. Unless it's syphilis.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    Its most probably stress related and the way you describe it it was not even a panic attack. maybe some mild anxiety attack or something.

There is a very large number of people suffering from depressions, panic and anxiety disorder and other things, it is treatable and let me assure you, no one ever died of it unless driven to commit suicide of course but that is a whole different story...
    Unless you have this symptoms fairly often you don't need to worry about it.
    If it happens again you best do something to relax, open TV or some music, open the light or call a friend and have a small talk, it will help.

It often is connected with physical health as well, doing some exercises will help, healthy food and going to sleep in time. Go out more often, get some sun.
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's stress+exhaustion. When i was younger I used to play Diablo 2 late at night for 3 or 4 hours, just before going to sleep. When i got in the bed I just couldn't sleep, but I wasn't perfectly awake either. All i was thinking about was how i change my gear, kill monsters and stuff... it was crazy, I wanted it to stop, but my brain just continued to "play" the game. I often got some good items, so when I started to play the next day i was disappointed to not find them in the real game. I really felt crazy back then, but it was just exhaustion and playing too much when i had to sleep instead.

Try to relax in some way. It looks like something is troubling you. Turn off all electronics for two days and sleep as much as you can. Just recharge your brain.

Thanks
    I have to go quick, but what I think you experienced is "Night Terrors?"

http://www.nightterrors.org/

Don't worry you are not going crazy. You get that sensation of raw fear? Almost like the end tail of a nightmare even though you are awake, someone in an art class was talking about it and he was a grown man. Who seemed normal to me.

If anything check up with a doctor if it continues.
    Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Firstly; thanks for the comments (very quick too, wow), it surely did put me to ease a bit. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

SO, Yeah it might be true like most of you say; stress.
    I've been signing contracts, calling and contacting a bunch of people "important" things so to speak. I'm also moving out for the first time and I've been rushing around buying furniture and all kinds of stuff. Plus intense art studies on top all that. So stress might be it. There are still a few things that puzzle me that I can't figure out.

I've for example seen faces in my wall when waking up when I was 13-14 and I've hallucinated tetris-looking blocks falling when I was even younger. Like I was sleeping but still awake. It's pretty crazy.. that's why I'm worried that it could be something really bad like a disease or something. So by having that intense experience last night really frightened me.

I've been reading up on sleeping disorder things too and I've found a lot of things that relate to what I've experienced so I might visit the doctor just to be on the safe side. I don't want anything bad to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by R a n d i s View Post
    Its most probably stress related and the way you describe it it was not even a panic attack. maybe some mild anxiety attack or something.

There is a very large number of people suffering from depressions, panic and anxiety disorder and other things, it is treatable and let me assure you, no one ever died of it unless driven to commit suicide of course but that is a whole different story...
    Unless you have this symptoms fairly often you don't need to worry about it.
    If it happens again you best do something to relax, open TV or some music, open the light or call a friend and have a small talk, it will help.

It often is connected with physical health as well, doing some exercises will help, healthy food and going to sleep in time. Go out more often, get some sun.
    That's probably it. I don't have it very often, I've had it before but mildly. This was pretty intense, though and it totally frightened the shit out of me. But anyway I really appreciate your comment, man! I'll make sure to stop stressing myself out and to relax whenever something like this happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vari View Post
    It's stress+exhaustion. When i was younger I used to play Diablo 2 late at night for 3 or 4 hours, just before going to sleep. When i got in the bed I just couldn't sleep, but I wasn't perfectly awake either. All i was thinking about was how i change my gear, kill monsters and stuff... it was crazy, I wanted it to stop, but my brain just continued to "play" the game. I often got some good items, so when I started to play the next day i was disappointed to not find them in the real game. I really felt crazy back then, but it was just exhaustion and playing too much when i had to sleep instead.

Try to relax in some way. It looks like something is troubling you. Turn off all electronics for two days and sleep as much as you can. Just recharge your brain.
    Yeah that sounds very alike to things I've been experiencing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeonkill View Post
    I have to go quick, but what I think you experienced is "Night Terrors?"

http://www.nightterrors.org/

Don't worry you are not going crazy. You get that sensation of raw fear? Almost like the end tail of a nightmare even though you are awake, someone in an art class was talking about it and he was a grown man. Who seemed normal to me.

If anything check up with a doctor if it continues.
    Yeah I was really scared. I even said to my girlfriend when I was "awake" that something is out to get me.

Nightterrors.. I'll look into that. Thanks.

edit: I've never heard of night terrors before, and after looking into it. That's totally what I've been experiencing. It makes a lot of sense.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Loathsome; November 20th, 2010 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    The big difference between crazy people and normal people is that crazy people don't know they're crazy...
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I used to get night terrors when I was nine, like every night for months on a row. I actually ended up getting used to them.

Aren't you more likely to get night terrors when you're stressed too?

I'd always get them weeks before exams too.
    - Sketchbook -
    Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Seeing faces in inanimate stuff is called pareidolia. Its just how the imagination works. Lots of stuff just looks like faces and the mind registers it like a face. Even this looks like a face, right?

Basically, you are experiencing anxiety. I highly recommend regular exercise (particularly aerobic exercise) and fresh air, make sure your neck muscles aren't crazy tight, and a strong shower will help you relax if you need it.

Good luck
    kev
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    I immediately thought of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect

And this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis But it sounds more like a tetris effect or a hypnagogia state.

@kev: Exercise is good. 15 minutes should be enough though, because over-exercising can sometimes be stimulating to the brain.

Night terrors is more like something that happens mostly during sleep though, I think.

Thanks
    i do that whole playing games/going through later chapters in books that im reading while half awake thing, i think it's called hypnagogic something, i never remember anything from when i do it, except when i write something down during this state and i wake up later and it's something really stupid that i thought was really great/important at the time. i assume it's like being high and how people think they have these great ideas when they smoke pot but can only remember 1 or 2 things from it

and sometimes when im looking at a screen for too long, especially when it's dark in the room, for a moment i get this weird kind of vertigo, like im not really in my body, like how some people describe looking down at their body from above or having an out of body experience. but that's only ever lasted for a second or two

and this one time when i was apparently asleep but my mom was asking me something and you know how you will reply to someone and then later you dont remember saying anything, well i woke up while i was talking to her, and i got this weird sensation like my brain didnt work and i was still dreaming, and i think it actually hurt a little bit, but i dont remember how, and i had to shake my head for a minute/lay down until it got back to normal

so ive had a couple of weird experiences like that, but nothing that ever made me feel like i was losing my mind

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velderia View Post
    @kev: Exercise is good. 15 minutes should be enough though, because over-exercising can sometimes be stimulating to the brain.
    What the? More than 15 minutes is over-exercising? I can't say I've ever come home from an hour-long bike ride more stressed than I was before it and I'm so lazy I've got potato sprouts growing out my dimples.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    This happens when I take nasal decongestants before bed. D: Never again.

Thanks
    Just relax. Try setting a day of the week to completely unwind. Get yoga or meditation lessons.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 926 Posts
    I felt like this when i got robbed earlier this year. i was afraid of myself. =/

Thanks
    Yeah I'd say that's the sort of stress you suffer from when you've been suffering from stress for a few months without a let up. It happened to me (though not exactly those symptoms) and the unfortunate thing I found is when you let the stress go on and on like that until months pass by, a quick trip to the spa and sleeping in isn't going to cut it-- the wind down is going to take time.

My recommendation is take a walk somewhere pleasant and quiet. Bring a book if you'd like. Don't go out with any expectations on yourself like "I'm going to be out this long" or "I'll read this many chapters" or "I'll take a break and this and this point." Just walk, breathe fresh air, and don't hold yourself to any demands.
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    What the? More than 15 minutes is over-exercising? I can't say I've ever come home from an hour-long bike ride more stressed than I was before it and I'm so lazy I've got potato sprouts growing out my dimples.
    Eh... Okay. But still, I heard too much exercise, right before you sleep, can be over-doing it. Somewhere between 15-1 hour, depending on how much you do a day or week, etc. Something like that.

Thanks
    That sounds familiar.. Next time it happens, try make some hot milk and honey. Watch videos of kittens on youtube or play an online game, preferably one that requires you to focus on it, while drinking the hot milk.
    It takes a while, but usually helps

If you usually get headaches after this it might also be migraines.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 926 Posts
    Everyone can only give you their OPINIONS.

but honestly you shouldnt take anything that we say as authoritative

only you know your body and your mind. and if you feel that something isnt right then go see someone. thats the best thing you can do. If you are in college go hit up the student affairs (usually they offer a few free sessions with a therapist). Or, you can just call up a therapist and see what you can arrange for your budget.

Anyways, sitting around getting advice from people on the internet is not going to help...

Get off the computer, get some fresh air, and if you think you really have a problem go see someone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velderia View Post
    Eh... Okay. But still, I heard too much exercise, right before you sleep, can be over-doing it. Somewhere between 15-1 hour, depending on how much you do a day or week, etc. Something like that.
    Actually ideally you should take at least one hours walk outside everyday.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Someone who is going insane doesn't normally know they're going insane. What you're going through sounds anxiety and stress. If it keeps happening and you want it to go away, then look up a therapist and work it out.

It's okay! Just take care of yourself!
    IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO COMMISSION ME: Please read this: http://www.imaginetheending.net/?page_id=151.

Check out my website: http://www.ImagineTheEnding.net/

And my sketch book:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...agineTheEnding

Thanks
    It's just your body preparing you for the rest of adulthood, a period of your life during which nature's farcical trickery gets you to lose your mind purely by convincing you that you constantly need to make sure you still have it.
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    Sounds like night terrors, I used to get them when I was younger, I suffered a trauma and got P.T.S.D (I didn't know at the time) and that included panic attacks before going to sleep which led to vivid nightmares and waking up with sleep paralysis in the middle of the night in the half wake/half asleep state you mentioned.

Not that I'm an expert but judging from the advice here it wouldn't harm you to schedule some holiday time and properly relax if you can, moving is very stressful, maybe afterwards? Also I don't know if you like camomile tea? I swear by it before bed now, very calming

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidy View Post
    Interesting you say that, Allot of people in their teens experience sensations like that. I'm sure there's a term for it, but I can't remember. :/

Also, I forgot to mention that I'm pretty sure that you're not going crazy, Loathsome. Everyone gets times like that at some point, mainly when stressed +tired.
    sooo wanting to kill when i was younger is not going crazy o.O

anyway....good thing i dont feel like that now hehee x]

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    Actually ideally you should take at least one hours walk outside everyday.
    Okay, okay, nevermind. It's just something I read. Fuck wikipedia for being easy. ><'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast