How do you know the original color of an old B&W photo ?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question How do you know the original color of an old B&W photo ?

Hi, ppl ,I wonder if anybody can tell me how do I know what were the original colors of an old B&W photo , suppose in this photo a motor-car its paint looks middle dark gray in the B&W photo is it blue or green or red when they use these photoshop programmes which convert B&W photos into color photos do they figure out randomly from the gray-scale chart and corresponding to the color - scale - Or the programme does compare the gray-scale with the color-scale automatically without the human intervene ? Please Anyone can enlighten on this .

Best Regards

A.M.AL-MADHI
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    adding color to images only requires adding saturation and hue if all the info you have is black/white scale. So if you take out hue and saturation on a color image all you end up with is a black and white version of the image displaying only brightness.

you can test this you self by grabing an image online and go to image-adjust-hue/saturation and take out the saturation and you will end up with a b/w image. So the reverse of this would be to take a black and white image and add hue and saturation to certain areas of the b/w images too add colors. To do that you would make a new layer, set the layer mode to color mode (which is adding hue/saturation overlay) and paint away with colors.

Hope what i just said isn't too confusing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyDevil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDevil View Post
    adding color to images only requires adding saturation and hue if all the info you have is black/white scale. So if you take out hue and saturation on a color image all you end up with is a black and white version of the image displaying only brightness.

you can test this you self by grabing an image online and go to image-adjust-hue/saturation and take out the saturation and you will end up with a b/w image. So the reverse of this would be to take a black and white image and add hue and saturation to certain areas of the b/w images too add colors. To do that you would make a new layer, set the layer mode to color mode (which is adding hue/saturation overlay) and paint away with colors.

Hope what i just said isn't too confusing.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks LuckyDevil for your helpe

Actually what I am after this line below :-

Does the programme compare the gray-scale with the color-scale automatically without the human intervene

What you said is the technical process if anyone follow your instruction but I do not need this Only I need to answer the question in the line above

Best Regards

A.M.AL-MADHI

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, but there's no way to automatically detect what color the objects were from a black and white source. That information simply isn't there in the photo, and the only way to add it back in is to guess manually.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.