Thread: ps3 or xbox360

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts

ps3 or xbox360

believe it or not I do not own either console. I like the exclusives on ps3, but it's a hundid dollaz more than a 360. I'm avoiding online gaming, so with that out of the equasion, which is better?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    This is like pc vs mac and religion vs science... it's one eternal discussion, especially ps3 vs xbox360, the question of what is better divides the console gamers. So don't expect to find definitive answer, ps3 fanboys will say ps3, while xbox fanboys will say xbox. In the end of the day, just decide what games you would like to play, since a lot of the top titles are either ps or xbox exclusive. I don't own a console for that reason, I can't afford to buy both, but having the "wrong one" when some cool game comes out will be too cruel. I just stick to PC like a pro!

Thanks
    oh yeah....I forgot about that. Why didn't I just ask which political affiliation is the coolest.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    believe it or not I do not own either console. I like the exclusives on ps3, but it's a hundid dollaz more than a 360. I'm avoiding online gaming, so with that out of the equasion, which is better?
    I'd say it's up to how important those PS3 exclusives are versus better online support on the 360.

Note I said online "support" and not "gaming", there's also all the small $10-$20 games out there via Xbox Live you can get plus strong support for game patches and DLC. Furthermore, based on what I've heard, US developed games tend to be created with the 360 in mind and then ported to the (more difficult to program for) PS3... resulting in poorer performance on the PS3.

However, from what I can see PS3 tends to secure more exclusive game titles. I can't think of anything notable for the 360 that isn't on the PS3, but off the top of my head I'm kinda sad there's no MGS4 to be had on my 360. The Final Fantasy series is probably still on Sony lockdown as well, along with most big name Japanese series.

That's just from a casual gamer's view though, I'm sure there's much that the "fanbois" could correct me on... including why the other system is for Nazi Communist puppy-kickers. :)

P.S. Vari, I tried to go the PC route but it's just too damned expensive to replace my fossil of a computer. Besides, switching to console gaming helped get me off of World of War-crack... the way I used to play that game made alcoholism look like a positive thing. I seriously had an addiction problem with WoW, what with putting in hours as if it were a paying job. :P
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    I have a PS3. I don't really have a loyalty to sony or anything, it just happens to meet my criteria in terms of features. The library of games wasn't very impressive when I initially bought it but luckily that has changed. Aside from the games and free online service, it's a blu-ray player as well. If you don't have a blu-ray player yet and would like to start watching movies in hi-def, that ought to justify the extra hundred bucks it costs. That's really the only advantage I feel I should mention. I could go into exclusive titles but I know that the xbox360 also has its share of impressive exclusive titles. So that point is really just a matter of taste.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    Don't get either. Buy a Wii.

I only own a 360 of those. But I have only 2 games for it, because I'm borrowing it from a friend who doesn't want it...

Still. Right now I'd say PS3. Because it has Uncharted 2. Which I'd totally like to play.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    In the end it comes down to the exclusives and the types of games you like to play. I love playing first person shooters online competitively so I got a 360 and couldn't be happier. The controller just seems to be set up better to play first person games on he 360, and the community seems to take them more seriously. The 360 also has some cool exclusives like Fable, Gears of War and Halo, but we don't seem to get as many cool exclusives as the PS3. I will say that Microsoft's game room is pretty awesome though, if you get it check out Shaolin Road.

For the PS3 the online service isn't as good, but it is free. You get a Blue-Ray player and more triple-A exclusives, but for some reason many multiplatform games seem to perform better on the 360.

Its up to you.
    Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    I'm glad to hear the multiplatform games don't perform as well on the PS3 because any time I tried one on the ps3 the controls didn't feel as smooth. I thought it was just my noobness. There were only two reasons that tilted the scales towards the PS3: MGS4 and God of War 3. Honestly I don't understand the hype behind blue ray. Besides I don't thhink my TV is hd anyways.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I'm one of those weirdos that still own a working Dreamcast. Damn thing never broke down. I recently got a PS2 but that's cuz the library of games were interesting and on top of that prices were hard to beat. I found a lot of the games for $5 and less.

I also own a Nintendo DS and play a lot with that and now I'm more into portable consoles than home ones.

I have had passing interests towards wii, ps3, and xbox360 (like when I see a new Final Fantasy or game that I played the first version of). The thing is I realized as much as I like the games, I am tired of sequels. Or I feel like I have to get peripherals to enjoy a game. However, even older consoles that wasn't too uncommon like a Dance Pad, Fishing Rod etc...

I think the console wars for home just wore on me and I realized I stopped enjoying games when they became movies, lost a lot of saturated and fun colors, were too many of sequels of a franchise I liked.

The other thing is I kinda see lack of innovation in the newer games (not to say there aren't GOOD new games). I mean when I played PS there was Parappa the Rappa and that spurned a new genre in a sense, and then one of my favorite games on PS2 is Katamari Damacy. This excludes what wii did for some games, and now everyone trying to do a Kinnect or Motion/Move...

I still play Space Channel 5 part 2 (because well MJ really fits with that game). I play Sega Marine Fishing, Rez, Crazy Taxi.

So I guess for me I like that kind of variety, and just...it lacking.

As stated PS3 and Wii did have my interest for core titles I enjoyed on the PS2/Nintendo but...meh...maybe I'm just getting old now lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Personally I prefer the games PS3 has to offer and I enjoy the free online. Nothing against XBox, but I don't really get into games like Halo and Gears of War, and those are its main offerings.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I'm one of those weirdos that still own a working Dreamcast. Damn thing never broke down.
    I'm so jealous.

I've still got my Dreamcast, and yeah it works, but it's slowly dying. Sometimes it'll spin the discs, sometimes it won't. So I try not to play it too often.

I hear you on the game variety, the Dreamcast was an awesome console.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Here's my thoughts:
    PS3 has Twisted Metal, God of War, Ratchett & Clank, The Last Guardian, and Shatter. Hell, it's harder to make games for that system than the Sega Saturn and arcade hardware.

X360 has Halo, Gears of War, JRPGs, Space Shooters, Braid, and various indie games. However, it's unreliable and it surprises me that a lot of the people who love this system were trashing the first X-Box when it came out.
    The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.
    Nintendo Network ID: FightingSeraph

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingSeraph View Post
    Here's my thoughts:
    PS3 has Twisted Metal, God of War, Ratchett & Clank, The Last Guardian, and Shatter. Hell, it's harder to make games for that system than the Sega Saturn and arcade hardware.

X360 has Halo, Gears of War, JRPGs, Space Shooters, Braid, and various indie games. However, it's unreliable and it surprises me that a lot of the people who love this system were trashing the first X-Box when it came out.
    Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted and Gran Turismo 5 are probably the three biggest PS3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I'm glad to hear the multiplatform games don't perform as well on the PS3 because any time I tried one on the ps3 the controls didn't feel as smooth.
    Which ones are these? I heard Bayonetta was bad on PS3, but generally multiconsole games play identically.

Thanks
    ^^I think The Orange Box is the best example of game that was not properly ported to the PS3.

But now Valve is bringing the steam cloud to the PS3...which means something...

I have no idea what is going on with that, or what that means for 360 owners. If Valve pulls a stunt like they did with the 360 version of TF2 (basically just abandoning it completely after one tiny update), then I'm going to uber-pissed.
    Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Hadn't heard about Orange Box problems, good thing I haven't gotten it yet :o

Thanks
    Figures...I sing the praise of Xbox and then mine shits the bed...literally three hours after I made my last post I got E 74 (its not the red ring of death, but I still have to send the console in for repairs).

I probably won't get it back for 3-4 weeks, but at least Microsoft is being cool about it. Free shipping and repairs plus a free month of Xbox live once I get it back.

Well, now I'll have more time to draw.
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    Don't get either. Buy a Wii.
    It's the only console that offered the enticing prospect of RSI/ actual physical injuries after an over enthusiastic night of drunken boxing or ski jumping..

Seriously, I've seen people barely able to walk the next day..I know of at least one guy who managed to Wii tennis his elbow through a plate glass door..

The graphics are crap but the bruises look very 3D..Looks like Sony and MS are finally seeing the inherent market value in having your customers flailing around like loons and injuring themselves whilst hitting imaginary objects..
    Last edited by Flake; November 23rd, 2010 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks
    Arshes- I feel you on the dreamcast issue. I've never had so much fun with a console since...well gta aside. But the controls were always the smoothest.

liffey- Gta had stiff controls and loading issues. I think that's the only one I played on both consoles.

Thanks
    I myself wasn't going to buy either seeing I couldn't make up my damn mind. But as soon as I found out GOW3 was coming for ps3, and the shops here in Norway dropped the prices dramatically last xmas, I spent some money on myself I couldn't be happier. When I purchased it, I didn't even think of Blue-ray, but now I love it. But I don't see anything wrong with xbox, seeing I've spent hours on it too at friends. Though now that I have ps3, I would not exchange it.

Chris
    Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Since they released the new smaller Xbox (with integrated WiFi and no more RROD) there is literally sod all in it. It come down to:

1. Blu-Ray. Do you care? Remember Xbox does HD downloads.
    2. Your "clan" - It's better to fight with mates. (This was the dealmaker for me)
    3. Exclusives. PS3 does Japanese games, Xbox does GEARS OF WAR.

I went with Xbox. I stand by my decision, it's sodding brilliant.

Thanks
    The PS3 is marginally better graphics wise, but anyone who buys games based purely on the size of the texture maps needs beating with an 8-bit stick.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    I find the 360 better in terms of lighting effects and smooth, fast gameplay and the PS3 slightly better for detail, although the early 360s were seriously crappy build. One of them I just gave up on in the middle of a game, unplugged it and chucked it into the bin. I think I'm on my 3rd or poss 4th now. I sold my PS3 a while ago. It was OK, certainly better built than the 360, but it didn't offer anything the 360 didn't apart from Bluray, which I won't use until it's worth the money. I think the PS3 is more powerful on paper but games don't seem to take advantage of that.

Thanks
    I got the 360 back on black friday, like a month ago. I figured that extra hundred bucks would help with christmas shopping. I'll just have to live without MGS. The bottom line is I could spend all day every day playing awesome games either way.

Thanks
    In my opinion PS3 is the best. However I think the ability of blue ray disc playback makes PS3 better than the Xbox 360 console.

Thanks
    I will choose ps3.. since i have.. hehehe. but i like xbox also.. however, i am contented on ps3 and i've got all the versions from 1 2 and 3..
    for UK Immigration and UK Visa information