I would like to know your opinion

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I would like to know your opinion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I would like to know your opinion

Its obviously not quite done yet, but before I call it a finished painting I would like to get some criticism, good bad harsh, anything really, feel free to speak your mind

There is no apparent concept, I just wanted to make her look this way and give her a snake

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm she's disproportionate in a couple of areas. Her upper arm and head are too big in comparison to her back and abdomen. There's something strange going on with the left side of her body. She looks like she is missing her left shoulder entirely. If you're going for a foreshortening look, the emphasis on distance that you placed on her right forearm does not match up with the size of the snake. Her eyes are striking but the pupils appear to be looking in two different directions.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello man,

I try to describe my "mind path" :

My first impression was rather good ( overall technique) , although my brain has automaticly classified this drawing in a kind of subject which is not of my favorites : A kind of fantasy thing. :p

After this, the first point I automaticly focused is the snake head : I love it.
    Then I looked the girl's face : This kind of jewelry are not my tastes, and I hardly understand what is this kind of mask on her face.
    Next point I looked is the snake body. I like the dynamic shape, but scales look a bit blurry, in a strange way.

Once there, I looked the overall design. I like this yellow/blue-green division of the background. And the red drape seems good, even if it's looks not finished.

I very like the idea on the arm, but concerning the body, the more I look, the more I feel like there is some anatomic issues, but it could be hard for me to point it clearly :s

Good luck for the continuation

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Y3an For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Star Eater - Yes, I just did realize that I completely forgot about her left arm/shoulder, I should've put something that emphasized its existence, right now it looks like she's only one handed. I will try to resize her shoulder and head but I doubt I'll be able to pull it off right for I 've already tried doing it. Any chance you could show me how you would do it?
    And yes, I was aware of the pupils, just been lazy to get to it lol
    Thank you very much for taking the time tho, it certainly helped

Y3an - Thank you for the boost and your detailed review, I appreciate it. Fantasy isn't one of my favorite subjects to paint but oh well, already started it might as well finish it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aretoon View Post
    Any chance you could show me how you would do it?
    Personally, I'd use references and begin repainting her entire back, abdomen and forearm, not forgetting to periodically flip the image to reset my brain and keep those proportions in check.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, great job with the details on her face. My favorite part is that flesh-colored mask and the translucent cheek. The lips look great too. I think you can add a few more colors into your skin palette though, maybe some greens and purples, right now you only have peach hues which tends to make the skin look artificial and flat.
    Also, I think you should pay attention to the eyes. I don't see any 3D or depth going on with her eyeballs, even though they are icy white there should still be some slight shading so you get the feeling of the eyeball curving out of the skull. Right now they lay flat on her face.

Other than that I just have a few I guess more personal opinions like I'd like to see the snake curve in a more natural way, it seems like you ran out of space so you suddenly made its body turn (or were you going for a foreshortened effect?). And I feel like her body was cut off short. i assume she's sitting on a bed or something, but I think there would be more length to her butt ... it seems a bit squashed right now : /

Keep going!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ceeche For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Star Eater - Yes, I've tried it but getting an appropriate refference for this pose is extremely difficult, I had to combine a couple different shots to be able to get her lower back this right, and its still mispositioned. Let me know if you happen to come across a reference that might be helpful. Thanks!

ceeche - Thanks alot for the compliments and advices! I re-positioned the snake a several times and am aware that it is a bit off now. I will try and work on the things you pointed out now, check back for updates later today, I need some consistent feedback

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a quick paintover suggestion to help with her back, shoulder, buttocks.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Wife, Mother, Artist.
    A Mothers SketchBook
    "If I'm a wild, sword welding, running with the wolves woman, I'm not going to stop to shave my legs or anything else for that matter. Hell I hardly shave now!"-Me

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Schen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not really getting the concept here in terms of the the mask and physical attributes of the woman and how it relates to the snake. I will say however that the bottom of the snake and the fabric look amazingly rendered, but it seems to degrade as we reach her head. It's almost like two people worked on this. The woman lacks quite a bit of form, for instance those wounds on her arm look more like tattoos, and wouldn't make sense if they were actual physical features. The hair at the back also just melds in to her back instead of overlapping it. Other people all ready mentioned the anatomy issues, but yeah it definitely needs work. Also, her hair shouldn't be highlighted with pretty much the exact same tone as the skin.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Avvatar For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.